banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-13-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
Paul J B

Hello Everybody!

Those who say Gords voice is thin is full of it!

I went to the show last night. I missed the first three songs because of a crash on the Ohio Turnpike had traffic backed up for hrs so my 2hr drive turned into 4hrs..Anyway, we arrived in the middle of Ghosts of Cape Horn, from there it just got better. Yes Gord doesn't have quite the powerful voice he once had but he sounded just as good if not better than 2001, and band was in great form ( Terry gave me the thumbs up twice!) as Gordon went from song to song, chatting in between, more so than at any show I've ever been to. The highlight was after The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald, Gord received a 2 minute standing ovation which brought a huge smile to his face..He even played Let It Ride, which I've never seen him play before, telling the story about the song beforehand.
The only problem during the show was the people who relentlessly yelled out songs, which at times appeared to piss Gord off, other than that the show was fantastic! If you have the chance to see him, go!

I hope he comes back to Ohio soon.

Chuck.

[ August 13, 2005, 07:45: Message edited by: Chuck Darling ]
Old 08-13-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
Chuck Darling

Hello Everybody!

Those who say Gords voice is thin is full of it!

I went to the show last night. I missed the first three songs because of a crash on the Ohio Turnpike had traffic backed up for hrs so my 2hr drive turned into 4hrs..Anyway, we arrived in the middle of Ghosts of Cape Horn, from there it just got better. Yes Gord doesn't have quite the powerful voice he once had but he sounded just as good if not better than 2001, and band was in great form ( Terry gave me the thumbs up twice!) as Gordon went from song to song, chatting in between, more so than at any show I've ever been to. The highlight was after The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald, Gord received a 2 minute standing ovation which brought a huge smile to his face..He even played Let It Ride, which I've never seen him play before, telling the story about the song beforehand.
The only problem during the show was the people who relentlessly yelled out songs, which at times appeared to piss Gord off, other than that the show was fantastic! If you have the chance to see him, go!

I hope he comes back to Ohio soon.

Chuck.

[ August 13, 2005, 07:45: Message edited by: Chuck Darling ]
Old 08-13-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Thanks for the review Chuck. Don't the relentless yellers get on your nerves after awhile ? Sounds like he's in fine form for the Summer leg of the 2005 tour !

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
Sydney Steve

Thanks Chuck ,
Good stuff. Wouldn't we all like to have "thin voices" like his is now... Recent video (Live 8) and reviews from our respected and widely spread Corfid folk have consigned that theory to where it belongs....

Please dig deep for even more crap theories...

[ August 13, 2005, 09:20: Message edited by: Sydney Steve ]
Old 08-13-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
Paul J B

It does get on the nerves when they know he'll probaby sing their song eventually..I was in the 2nd row and this drunk lady in the front row, right in front of Terry kept yelling "DID SHE MENTION MY NAME!!!" Terry finally looked at her and motioned to Gord like to say 'It's up to him as to what he sings"!!

Priceless...

--------------------------------------------
Chuck
Old 08-13-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
Chuck Darling

It does get on the nerves when they know he'll probaby sing their song eventually..I was in the 2nd row and this drunk lady in the front row, right in front of Terry kept yelling "DID SHE MENTION MY NAME!!!" Terry finally looked at her and motioned to Gord like to say 'It's up to him as to what he sings"!!

Priceless...

Chuck
Old 08-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Janice

Hey Chuck - long time no see!

I'm so glad you were able to see The Man! I was totally blown away with the Massey Hall concert I saw in May. I'll agree with you that he is far more chatty between songs than I've ever seen him be before - and I for one, love it! I don't understand those who comment about his voice being "thin" either. I just don't hear it at all; but I never saw him "back in the day" so I have nothing to compare it too other than earlier recordings.

So good to see you posting here again. Hope all is well with you (beyond the cloud floating that seeing a Lightfoot concert envokes, that is )!
Old 08-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Paul J B

Hi Janice!

I've been poping in from time to time LOL. The show was fantastic as always! Are you still out west? Nice to hear from you.

Yeah this thin voice thingy is rubbish, He just isn't as powerful as in the early 80's when I saw him but it's still wonderful..Wish I could sing like that, hell I hope I can walk when I'm 66!!

See you around..

-------------------------------------------------
Chuck.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
Chuck Darling

Hi Janice!

I've been poping in from time to time LOL. The show was fantastic as always! Are you still out west? Nice to hear from you.

Yeah this thin voice thingy is rubbish, He just isn't as powerful as in the early 80's when I saw him but it's still wonderful..Wish I could sing like that, hell I hope I can walk when I'm 66!!

See you around..

-------------------------------------------------
Chuck.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
mary

I'm a newbie hereon the forum. I attended the show in Detroit last night. It was awesome. Unfortunately, my wife and I were late too. We live 1/2 hour from the venue but it took us over 2 hours because of the massive traffic backup caused my the Eminem concert that was across the street from the Fox Theatre. It was my first time seeing Lightfoot live and I was astounded by his energy. The songs, of course, speak for themselves. He's a master. Best, Bobby
Old 08-13-2005, 06:48 PM   #11
bobbypennock

I'm a newbie hereon the forum. I attended the show in Detroit last night. It was awesome. Unfortunately, my wife and I were late too. We live 1/2 hour from the venue but it took us over 2 hours because of the massive traffic backup caused my the Eminem concert that was across the street from the Fox Theatre. It was my first time seeing Lightfoot live and I was astounded by his energy. The songs, of course, speak for themselves. He's a master. Best, Bobby
bobbypennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Welcome, Bobby! And hello, Chuck! Your great reviews are making those of us out west very excited -- we have another month to wait! Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves... of course!!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #13
cat

It was my first time seeing Gord in Detroit at the FOX. What a beautifull venue, and what a great perfromance. Saying his voice is thin is rubbish. It may not be as baratone as it used to be, but he still hits the notes presicely in a more nasal way. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone know where to find, or if they kept track of the songlist of the performance at the FOX. His song selection was amazing, Sea of Tranquility and Let it Ride where my favourites. If anyone know where I can find a set list please help me out. Thanks.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #14
Tristan

It was my first time seeing Gord in Detroit at the FOX. What a beautifull venue, and what a great perfromance. Saying his voice is thin is rubbish. It may not be as baratone as it used to be, but he still hits the notes presicely in a more nasal way. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone know where to find, or if they kept track of the songlist of the performance at the FOX. His song selection was amazing, Sea of Tranquility and Let it Ride where my favourites. If anyone know where I can find a set list please help me out. Thanks.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan:
If anyone know where I can find a set list please help me out. Thanks.
Yes Tristan in the immortal words of Howard Hughes at his congressional hearing "I do believe I do"
All it took was a simple visit to the relatively somewhat inactive and therefore unfairly derided newsgroup at:-
http://www.newsgroup2.notlong.com
and bingo the very latest thread starting at:-
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1b6a865?hl=en&
is my oh my surprise surprise entitled
"Detroit concert Aug 12"
which includes a great review by "Brian" interspersed with the complete set list which he does say might not be in the exact playing order.
When you have read that click on "show options"
and select "view thread" to see the two replies (so far) by corfid posters and chat room stalwarts (ok less of the warts) Char and Anne from OK.
You could then anyone here so inclined quickly register yourself with google groups and add your own reply.
No doubt in due course the reliable scribe at

http://www.lightfoot.ca

one Wayne Francis who started the newsgroup way back when will add the Det-Troy-It setlist to his listings as he already has for the previous night's concert at Interlochen.
As far as I know that setlist has so far only been published by Kathy in her corfid topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...c;f=1;t=003344
which would appear to indicate that Wayne lurks here!!
If so stranger since it is very many moons since you posted to the Newsgroup hows aboot you posting a reply here??
John Fowles
Sit down young stranger...(Wayne)
at your keyboard
And tell us where you been
adapted fom the lyrics at:-
http://www.poemhunter.com/lyrics/son...882&song=24879
Hey I like that site's domain name!
go to:-
http://www.poemhunter.com
then search for "gordon Lightfoot" and up comes not one but fifty GL songs . recognition in a big
way!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:20 PM   #16
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan:
If anyone know where I can find a set list please help me out. Thanks.
Yes Tristan in the immortal words of Howard Hughes at his congressional hearing "I do believe I do"
All it took was a simple visit to the relatively somewhat inactive and therefore unfairly derided newsgroup at:-
http://www.newsgroup2.notlong.com
and bingo the very latest thread starting at:-
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1b6a865?hl=en&
is my oh my surprise surprise entitled
"Detroit concert Aug 12"
which includes a great review by "Brian" interspersed with the complete set list which he does say might not be in the exact playing order.
When you have read that click on "show options"
and select "view thread" to see the two replies (so far) by corfid posters and chat room stalwarts (ok less of the warts) Char and Anne from OK.
You could then anyone here so inclined quickly register yourself with google groups and add your own reply.
No doubt in due course the reliable scribe at

http://www.lightfoot.ca

one Wayne Francis who started the newsgroup way back when will add the Det-Troy-It setlist to his listings as he already has for the previous night's concert at Interlochen.
As far as I know that setlist has so far only been published by Kathy in her corfid topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...c;f=1;t=003344
which would appear to indicate that Wayne lurks here!!
If so stranger since it is very many moons since you posted to the Newsgroup hows aboot you posting a reply here??
John Fowles
Sit down young stranger...(Wayne)
at your keyboard
And tell us where you been
adapted fom the lyrics at:-
http://www.poemhunter.com/lyrics/son...882&song=24879
Hey I like that site's domain name!
go to:-
http://www.poemhunter.com
then search for "gordon Lightfoot" and up comes not one but fifty GL songs . recognition in a big
way!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:54 PM   #17
Auburn Annie

Yeah, 50 songs including "Beautifuel" - given the price of gas these days, it fits.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:54 PM   #18
Auburn Annie

Yeah, 50 songs including "Beautifuel" - given the price of gas these days, it fits.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #19
<Next Saturday>

So what was the story behind "Let It Ride"??
Old 08-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #20
<Next Saturday>

So what was the story behind "Let It Ride"??
Old 08-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #21
cat

Thank You So Much. Super Helpfull. And interesting extras.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #22
Tristan

Thank You So Much. Super Helpfull. And interesting extras.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #23
talbot10

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Darling:
"It does get on the nerves when they know he'll probaby sing their song eventually..I was in the 2nd row and this drunk lady in the front row, right in front of Terry kept yelling "DID SHE MENTION MY NAME!!!"
Chuck
Actually, that old broad was me!
Bill Hall
Old 08-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #24
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

LMAO!!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:25 AM   #25
ricky Jay

I'm so happy that you were able to enjoy the concert Chuck. This is a terrible thing for me to realize now, and thankfully I do not adhere to this thought anymore, but when I was a new fan of GL, the primary thing I used to be concerned about is not getting the albums in which his voice started changing, and now that I look back, I realized that this was wrong. Now, I can hardly wait to get A Painter Passing Through and Harmony. If his voice started out that way as a young man, then maybe I would have felt different, but the thing is, he is the same man who we all "fell in love with" (even in a platonic sense, possibly) from all those 40 years ago. It is the same man who gave us not just a wonderful voice, but wonderful lyrics and wonderful songs. All these things are the embodiments of a truly gifted, wonderful soul.

Okay that sounds a bit overboard, but hey, that is the truth.
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote