banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
JohnStinson

Default Lightfoot Tribute Show

Hi everyone,

I haven't logged on in 2 months. Hope all are well!

I mentioned in another thread a few months ago that I have played guitar non-professionly for many years. Well..I finally practiced enough to put this little Lightfoot tribute together and I played and recorded it.

Please check it out...if you liked it..send along a note...even if you didn't..send a note anyways.

If anyone knows of a little "out of the way" place in your part of the woods where i might play...I'd love to go anywhere to play this music I love.

Hope the link works!

When I performed this show at the Richmond Hill Curling Club, in Ontario, Canada..many people came up to me and said how much they loved Gord's music and many were going to see him in May at Massey Hall.

I am going Fri May 9...really looking forward to it.

Maybe other LightHEADS will be there...I am sure!

Keep playing Gordy!

John
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Lightfoot Tribute Show

Very good John, also great guitar playing especially on "Ill Do Anything". "Black Day In July" sounds like Lightfoot himself. Keep it up man !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
JohnStinson

Thanks JJ,

.. I hope some other Lightheads have a listen too.

You're a longtime corfidian...and for that I also say tx...

john
Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
KHester

Sounded great, wish I could have been there...
Thanks for sharing your talent and Love of Gord's music...

Perhaps one day we can see more ?

Kevin
Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
charlene

Sounds great John.. see you at Massey!

check your Private Messages..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
classicmixdj

Excellent John...I only wish the video/audio quality were higher but that being said you've got skill and I'm impressed. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
JohnStinson

Apparently, the 'old style film' is a feature of Windows Movie Maker. My kids seemed to like it. Made it look like an old vintage 60's shot...i guess.

thanks for taking a look anyway....

john
Old 04-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
RM

Outstanding ! It's was great to hear snippets of some of the older tunes performed live, with a right-on emulation. You do the music justice.

I do have a question.....do you use any sort of percussion effects ? If not, I guess the renditions were so good, I was just imagining it.

Enjoy Massey.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
JohnStinson

I created some of the backing tracks (drums, bass mostly) with a computer application called Cakewalk. But the 35 songs that I have so far have evolved over many years so I have some work that I want to change, time willing, others are newer and have better sound and are more like the original tunes.

I try to do as much live as I possible can without strapping cymbals to my knees.

The one live sound that surprised me was doing the lead part for Wreck on the 12 String. It actually sounds pretty good I thought. You can't hear much on the video, but its there a bit.

I happen to know Red Shea , he has taught many students over the years. When I mentioned to him that I might try doing the lead for Wreck with the 12 string ..he thought it would work. It seemed to.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Nightingale

Wow!
Really great and I enjoyed hearing your tribute very much. Thanks so much for posting it.
I wish I lived closer, I would come see you sing in person.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #11
JohnStinson

It doesn't matter where you live. I'd love to come to you. Meet fellow Lightfoot fans and play this gig. Exchange/buy Lightfoot paraphernalia ...Why not a Gordon Lightfoot fan Road Show. Might be fun. Could work. Like the Star Trek Conventions... sorry bad reference perhaps.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
brink-

Very nice John! I agree that you sound like him, I like the song selections too. I hope you make it to Massey and jam with fans there this year. Maybe somebody would make a CD for a poor old soul who can not go this (that would be me) I would love hear more from you.
I can't say much about the guitar playing, since I don't know anything about it, but I could definately sit a spell and enjoy listening to you.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #13
Nightingale

Gordon Lightfoot Fan Road Show?????

Hey, that could be a lot of fun. Maybe some kind of get together here in the mid-west.
I have lots of farm ground and woods to camp out on....G.L. Woodstock type of thing?

Well, maybe not like that, but there are hotels around and I really do have lots of places to camp and a really nice park type setting by Sugar Creek that would be great for a get together.

In southern Indiana they used to have the bluegrass festival in a little town called Gnawbone...it was so great. People would pitch tents all around and pick and sing all night long by the campfires. They had amazing talent and I heard some of the best bluegrass music that you can imagine. I don't know if they still do that now but it sure was fun when I was younger.

Anybody want to think about a mid-west get together?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
JohnStinson

Lightfoot Fan Road Show

How would we get it started?
At what locations?

Are there enough fans that would show up to events planned around various places??
Old 04-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
Patti

Sugar Creek sounds really sweet. I would love to go to something like that if I could. I believe I would make an effort to go and find some other people to go too.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
JohnStinson

Sugar Creek??
I mapquested it.

There are 3 Sugar Creeks in Wisconsin. Which one?

j
Old 04-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #17
Patti

I'm sure Nightingale was talking about a Sugar Creek near her place, but that would be far for me to travel. If I could figure out a way to get you booked around here somewhere, I would like to go. Once I talked to a lady about booking Gordon Lightfoot and she thought she did it, and I was hoping to see him there, then I found out it was another guy with the same name, but it was spelled differently. Anyway, I heard that guy was good. Wish I would have gone to his show. Your Gordon Lightfoot music sounds real good.
Nightingale, I still think that is a good idea. Thanks, it's something to think about. It's been a long time since I hitchhiked.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:13 AM   #18
Nightingale

Patti and John, yes, I was talking about Sugar Creek near my home. It's a real creek, not a town, so there is only one on the map...lol.

How would we get somethng like this started?
I think the first thing is to decide how you want to do it. Do you want to try and play small gigs all the way between Ontario and the mid-west?
Are you thinking of one big gathering somewhere or some combination of the two?

How about a time frame? We know you will be busy in early May...lol. What's the rest of your summer look like?

I think once you have an idea of what's feasible for you to actually do, then we could start a thread with suggested options and see how many people are interested.

I will be happy to help out in any way I can and the offer of an outside site for a gathering is still open....you can come in the house too....lol.
We have lots of room and really pretty country around here.

Patti, I would love for us to get together! I can tell by your posts that we think alot alike and I have enjoyed the writing you have been posting lately.
No hitchhiking allowed...lol...that's just dangerous!
Maybe we can meet halfway.....

John, think about things and let us know your thoughts. I would love tol do this and I think there are alot of people that would enjoy your Lightfoot Tribute show...it's really good and other people should have a chance to hear you!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
JohnStinson

Where is Sugar Creek??

..good name for a song!!

I don't know if this is possible but I wanted to try it anyway. Its just a crazy thought that I started out with when I started putting these songs together. I thought that maybe 'corfidians' might help it along a bit. But, again, I didn't know.

Is there some lounge, bar, club, veterans hall, whatever near you that would possible let this Lightfoot Tribute be played. If so, then, I would contact them and check things out. If they agreed to it, then, perhaps there is a room, if its in a small hotel, or a hall where there could be a Lightfoot dinner, meeting or whatever...or maybe its all together in a restaurant.bar layout. If there were any 'corfidians' within ear shot then perhaps they could come. ..and with the help of a little local promotion it could be a lot of fun.

I would be driving. I haven't picked a date(s) yet to focus on. Its still early in my planning stages. But at least I hear a little bit of interest.

I'd layout a drive plan from Toronto, through southwestern Ontario, through Michigan, Wisconsin. Enjoy the trip. ..play the GL show as many times as I could ...meet people...take pictures and videos...

I was thinking of mid August but...maybe thats too late. perhaps mid July ..for about 1-2-3 months.

I just started playing this and there are a few places around here locally that I will try and book into before then. If they go over as well as the recent ones...then I'll be encouraged to carry on.

..Sugar Creek ...how do you get there ...lol!...

j
Old 04-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStinson View Post
I But the 35 songs that I have so far have evolved over many years
Yes well as soon as I read of your ambitions my mind thought of previous tribute concerts
I think that our Charming Moderator will bear me out that a wonderful venue you should consider John is
Cabin Concerts

a very few miles North of me in Wayne NJ
several of us a few years ago enjoyed the ambience of the hosts' firelit lounge for a superbly intimate GL tribute concert by Messrs Aengus Finnan. Jory Nash and Terry Tufts. On the cabin's website I read:-
A note to Artists and agents
Tim and Lori ask that all unsolicited offers be made to their e-mail address listed above as they can not return unsolicited long distance calls.
Then again in Saratoga Sprngs NY
the LTB (Lightfoot Tribute Band) twice filled the small Caffe Lena

This also would be suitable and the compere (Sarah??) is demonstrably a keen Lighthead and I would anticipate we could gladly make it there again plus quite possibly sometime local resident Valerie??
especially if it could be in the horse racing "season"
I expect that I am not the only one curious to see your repertoire of 35 songs (are they all gordsongs??)
I downloaded your youtube video then converted it to mpeg video format to play on my dimunitive Nokia N800
Internet Tablet

to show to my wife
she was at the time having a little nap but came to enough to appreciate your uncannily accurate renditions of Ribbon Of Darkness Yarmouth Castle and Black Day In July in particular so much so that she immediately accused you of pulling our collective plonkers

I see that you will be at the May 9 concert,and said that you will attend Ron Jones' extravaganza that day at McVeigh's Irish Pub

the other "Gord clone" performing for Dionnie Budd back in May 2001
picture as previously displayed in the thread at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15019

How's about the "rehearsal" the day before too??
I'll be sending you a reply to your PM tomorrow

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-16-2008 at 07:25 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #21
dedife

John,

My husband and I listened to this together, and you get "two thumbs up" from this neck of the woods!

Great job!
Deb
dedife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #22
Jesse Joe

This is a great looking place John, wouldn't mind owning it. And just a few miles north from your home.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #23
Jesse Joe

This is a great pic of that {Gord Clone} with his beautiful 12 string Gibson, man that guitar must sound awesome... Can I ask what type of strings you use on that instrument Ron ?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #24
RM

Is it really necessary to duplicate pictures ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #25
Patti

Hey, thank you Nightingale. I look forward to meeting you sometime.