banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default Canada Day

"It's Canada Day up Canada way on the first day of July"

This is the opening line to Stompin' Tom Connors' song "Canada Day up Canada Way."

And Canada Day it was indeed, from coast to coast to coast.

For Gordon Lightfoot fans the place to be on Canada Day would have to be the Royal Canadian Legion Hall in Aurora, Ontario; the hometown of gifted guitarist, and former lead guitar player for Gordon Lightfoot, Red Shea

Red has been credited for being an integral part of the original Gordon Lightfoot sound.

I was fortunate enough receive an invite appear on stage for a tune or three with a unique group of musicians, two of whom were students of Red Shea.

When I entered the hall "Song for a Winter's Night" greeted my listening ear.

Flashback to the Massey Hall concerts of the sixties and seventies.

If you weren't already melting from the July 1st heat, you'd melt hearing the sounds coming from the speakers in that hall, believe me.

On stage we have the ever sounding Gordon Lightfoot voice of John Stinson backed up on lead guitar by partner and fellow Red Shea student Paul Bartlett, accompanied on keyboard by our familiar and talented member here on Corfid, James Jones, and packaged up nicely by Mr. Bassman, Scott Williamson. Just give Scott the key and the Stockfish, Haynes bass notes open automatically.

And of course, waiting in the wings, the multitalented, singer, songwriter and accomplished lead guitarist, our own Kenyon Wallace.

Kenyon would alternate with Paul on lead guitar and also share his vocal skills.

Kenyon's version of "Restless" is a show stopper believe me.

Kenyon and James were accompanied by their lovely wives, Johanna and Michelle, and 9 year old Harrison, son of Michelle and James Jones. Harrison sung a few bars of "Pony Man," and and as proof that this little guy has duly received his Lightfoot indoctrination, he sang us also a few bars also of, would you believe; "The Patriot's Dream."

It's all about "keeping up with the Joneses," would you not think?

What a day it was!

Canadian patriot Stompin Tom Connors would be pleased.

Thanks guys; I could not have enjoyed a better Canada Day than this one.

You're the greatest!

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Canada Day

If I wasn't so tired I'd have been there!
I hope there's some video and pics. !

We will make a date for a jam/pool party/CHarbeque this summer.-James-figure it out-make it happen...you too Ron-! .
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
jj

ron, another high five to ya...i thought the show was about done after 3 hours of Gordie numbers, but you came up and rejuvenated the crowd and the band

char, some took pics...i got this bird's eye vid clip of Ron fulfilling a request

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcOIf...ature=youtu.be
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
formerlylavender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj
i got this bird's eye vid clip of Ron fulfilling a request
I'm tearing up watching this...one of my late mom's favorites.

A great job...thanks for posting.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Sundown17

Absolutely lovely. Thank you Ron.

Diane
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
jj

hey, lisa, it was a sweet elderly lady who approached the stage for the request....Ron will appreciate your kind words, all....hi diane!

Ron also played The Wreck, Don Quixote, Me and Bobby McGee, Farewell to Nova Scotia, Aye's the By, Sonny's Dream plus a wonderful tribute to his (and Scott's) friend Stompin' Tom with all on board for the Ketchup Song and Bud the Spud

and kilted bagpiper joined us for a few 'old country' classics (my ears still ring)

Paul did A1 derful work on Pussywillows Cattails and a few more Gord gems

Kenyon was stunning throughout and pulled of vocals for Drink Your Glasses Empty and Restless

it's always wonderful getting giddy, playing with and listening to Scott and John's talents...my family enjoyed it (as you can see, lol) ...I dont know what the Gord three-set list was...a few new ones in there

btw, we played overlooking a river 2 nights earlier...coffeehouse crowd, fun
Old 07-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlylavender View Post
one of my late mom's favorites.
you know, i somehow never heard of the tune before last year when John thankfully introduced me to it (and it still never made it into our play list) ...i love sad songs and soothing melodies so i went home and noodled with it immediately...this old piano has also been 'taken away', ugh

the fields of athenry - piano - YouTube

btw, boys, i think Paddy and I both go the the minor chord twice in the chorus

Last edited by jj; 07-03-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
T.G.

Dang, I was in Aurora for the Lighthouse show the night before, should have stuck around. Looks like a good time was had by all.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
lighthead2toe

Dear friends.

I can't thank you enough for your kind words.

Not being used to having such a credible band backing me up I was riding along on all those sweet notes coming my way.

It was a day like non other and the simple way things seemed to fall into place just made it exactly what it was, a day to celebrate Canada!

But yes Char, we'll nail down some dates to round out for a BBQ and thank you for your kind invitation.

Cheers,

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
formerlylavender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
you know, i somehow never heard of the tune before last year when John thankfully introduced me to it (and it still never made it into our play list) ...i love sad songs and soothing melodies so i went home and noodled with it immediately...this old piano has also been 'taken away', ugh

the fields of athenry - piano - YouTube

btw, boys, i think Paddy and I both go the the minor chord twice in the chorus

JJ, that is wonderful! You are very talented. I could listen to it all day. Thanks so much for posting.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlylavender View Post
I could listen to it all day
thx very much...i cold play all day...a piano anyhow, not a digital keyboard although they are mobile and full of bells and whistles (actually mine makes a pretty nice viola & convincing hollow flute sound)

i could listen to kenyon, paul, john or ron pick guitars all day...and scott on bass

i found some still "keyboard player viewpoint" clips to share that i'll post on Covers forum too...it's not very great sound capture and i trust the sound going to the audience was crisper but in years it will be fun to revisit...a day of laffs (and gaffs, lol)