banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-25-2000, 10:10 AM   #1
fezo

Now you no doubt have heard some of GL's song and no doubt other good songwriter's works and said "yeah - been there." Sometimes this is a smile and sometimes something far less welcome. For the sake of this topic - I'm going with the latter.

My nominee - "Talking in Your Sleep." It was a lot of years ago and not exactly the details of the song, but been there and wish I wasn't. Life's much better since then....
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 11:30 PM   #2
Rob Wells

Fezo,

Oh Yeah Buddy, let's talk.

This was the first Gord song I put to the old guitar and discovered that I could sound just like him. So whoes wife is having and affair with his best friend?????? How fitting. For the longest time I always wondered why they would cringe whenever I sang the song. I thought I was singing it poorly, then I found out the truth.

Life imitating art.

"Then from your lips there came that secret,
I was not supposed to know"
GL
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 11:43 PM   #3
char

It's the secrets that aren't so secret that will do you in.
Char
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 11:44 PM   #4
Rob Wells

And to take this "Worst Song Lived" to the limit, here goes.....

If you look back at the posts I was talking with FrankV (or was it Christian?) about "The Last Time I Saw Her Face." Yep. The most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Looked just like Faith Hill, only prettier, if that's possible. First time in Love. Didn't want me. Dumped me flat on my heart. Carried the torch for ten years. She married some other guy and moved to the flatlands of Illinios. About five years later I heard the she had Multiple Sclerosis. She died shortly after that.

I use that as the inspiration of the song whenever, and if ever I can get through the piece.

So when I get to this part, it REALLY!!!!! hurts,

"Her lips were like the wilted leaves,
Upon the Autumn covered hills,
Resting on the frozen ground,
Beneath the battered marking stone.....
It lies forgotten."
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2000, 07:47 PM   #5
Dan

Knotty Pine (nice name do you cry turpentine?)

I always thought that "I'm Not Supposed to Care" was about GL's daughter growing up and moving away!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2000, 11:44 PM   #6
2Much2Lose

Tough ones to live through?

How about ...

"I went into town for one last round and I gambled my ticket away,
And the big steel rail won't carry me home to the woman I love."

(Steel Rail Blues)

Or, after trading off his Martin ...

"Won't you listen to me brother,
If you've ever loved your mother,
please pull off on the shoulder if you're going Milwaukee way,
It's 10 degrees and gettin' colder down by Boulder Dam that day."

Or, what about the 10 year old kid in Cherokee Bend? Blood on the floor, trapped in a blizzard, food runs out, Mom dies ... and the White Man still despises you. Ouch.

Fellas, it's been good to know ya

2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
Borderstone

Joveski! :D ...here's one of those kind of "least favorite" messages. Whoever that guy fezo is,looks like he needed to get his hearing checked,in terms of not likeing "Talking In You Sleep".

Looks like "Rob" was very offended! :D

Nice to see we can talk more calmly about it now.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan:

I always thought that "I'm Not Supposed to Care" was about GL's daughter growing up and moving away!
i'll be anything that he was!!
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
...here's one of those kind of "least favorite" messages. Whoever that guy fezo is,looks like he needed to get his hearing checked,in terms of not likeing "Talking In You Sleep".

Looks like "Rob" was very offended!

Nice to see we can talk more calmly about it now.
Borderstone, I was around when this topic was first posted and I think you misunderstood what you read.

Fezo's topic had nothing to do with liking or disliking a song, he was talking about the worst song to LIVE - you know, songs that might as well have been written about you because they so accurately depict an event or time in your life. Fezo had a wife who evidently cheated on him and "Talking In Your Sleep" kind of told his story. He never wanted to live the song again, but never said anything about listening to it.

Rob was not at all offended, he was enthusiastically agreeing and told his own ironic "life imitates art" story about the same song.

Neither said they disliked the songs, just that they could relate, most unpleasantly, to what the narrator in the song was going through
Old 04-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
Borderstone

Good thing you're still here Janice,I did think the obvious. Maybe if fezo had said "...lived "personally",I'd have understood.

I can't think of one personally but for people in general,in one way or another,haven;t we all "lived" -"Too Late For Prayin" ?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Janice

Glad I was still around to shed some light on it, Borderstone. In all fairness, the wording of the topic description does lend itself to misinterpretation. I'm sure many others before you read it the same way you did
Old 04-21-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
seafarer62

I lived "The Circle is Small" as my wife left me and wanted an immediate divorce so she could marry another man. 10 years later I am in a wonderful second marriage and my former wife never did end up marrying anyone.

This song could have only been written by someone who lived it too. Still, the song is very hard to listen to and I often have a lump in my throat by the time the song is fading.

"In My Fashion" is another great song that I still live as I try to nurture relationships with my two sons with a very difficult divorce as a backdrop.

John/MN
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:48 AM   #13
SilverHeels

J - have you ever considered politics as a career?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #14
Borderstone

Upon reflection,in a way I've lived "The Pony Man".

The song is (in my view) a childs dream and when I was young I'd have similar "pleasant dreams" like that.

One was: I was peddling around my neighborhood and I pass by the mall and the next thing I know all these flowers bloom over every inch of ground.

The mall turns into a country side and my bike becomes one of those horses with the long hair that they have in (Arabia?) I actually ride int the sunset (or is it sunrise?)

Pretty big imagination then.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #15
brink-

Ah Seafarer, I too have experienced the Circle is Small. It is one of my favorite songs but sure does conjure up some memories.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:53 AM   #16
closetcanadian

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
Ah Seafarer, I too have experienced the Circle is Small. It is one of my favorite songs but sure does conjure up some memories.
Ditto for me as well. I would imagine there are many of us on this board that have wound up on the short end of a romantic triangle at some point in our lives. The old adage tells us that "time heals all wounds." Let's hope it also wounds all heels!

"be calm in the face of all common disgraces...and know what they're doing it for"
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:36 AM   #17
SilverHeels

<<The old adage tells us that "time heals all wounds." Let's hope it also wounds all heels! >>

AMEN! :D