banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
timetraveler

Default Crazy Pets & How Many Of Us Have Them

Summer of last year, I adopted a little feral kitten that had been abandoned by it's mum. He's now nearly 7 months old & drives me nuts sometimes by waking me up nearly an hour before I'm ready, climbing on the counters & then jumping on top of the refridgerator, scaring the daylights out of me. He's also a smart cat, as he sets on a small bookshelf by my front door & seems to say "out" when he wants to go out, then he lets me put his harness on him before we go out for a walk, which he enjoys. He also wrestles my dog Larry, as well as chases him (yes, I said chases the dog) whenever thay get in the mood to play. If it weren't for the fact that they're of differant species, I'd swear that they were litter mates. Despite the fact that the cat gets up to a lot of crazy things, he's a very sweet & loving little thing & I wouldn't want him to be anything else but himself.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
podunklander

Default Re: Crazy Pets & How Many Of Us Have Them

awwwwwwww sounds so cute!!! I miss having pets and was really disappointed when I moved out to the country here 7 years ago...and my landlord wouldn't allow any . So it's fun anyway to hear about other people's pets!

It's been several months since my son moved away...and I guess the 4 years he was away from college, I should be used to it but I'm not! Maybe I'll ask my landlord again!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
formerlylavender

Your kitten sounds like a real character! My cat, who will be 11 in May, is crazy too. My boys named him Vader after Darth Vader. He attacks guests when they come over - embarrassing! He's scratched my mother in law when she's visiting and happens to walk by his food bowl. We found out later that Vader's brother was adopted by a friend of my brother's and he's crazy too. The friend's Mom had a nursing care facility in her home, and the cat would scratch/bite all the elderly patient's hands.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
timetraveler

I'd be almost willing to bet that they resented being separated & that may be why they act like they do. Also, some animals seem to have a kind of 6th sense about some people, which may be another reason they act crazy like they do. I hope that your landlord changes his mind on the pet issue, though, as there have been many studies done showing the benefits for a persons mental health when they have at least two pets in the home. So go ahead & see what he says. I wish you luck.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Auburn Annie

We have a half German Shepherd, half Samoyed who looks like a white wolf and acts like a big chicken. This can be a problem when you have winter, and therefore snow and snow plows, for 5 months of the year, and he thinks he's only 5 pounds instead of 95 when he tries to hide under the bed, under the sideboard, behind the couch, under the kitchen table, under the computer desk - you get the picture. Trucks back up (beep beep) and he's a clinging, quivering mass of white fur trying to climb up into my lap.

Last year he learned a new trick, barking when he's "done" eating, to go outside. Except every time you get up to let him out, the face dives back into the food bowl to eat some more. He'll do that three or four times before he's REALLY finished.

As part Sammy he's very talky, too, and will hold lengthy conversations - complaints, really - when he's ticked off at you for something, like leaving him home when you go out without him.

Our daughter recently adopted two shelter kitties, Elmer and Ernie. Elmer was the runt, with blue eyes and a big "I'm a baby, hold me" attitude. Ernie is the psycho cat, will tolerate being held for short periods of his choosing, and has a fascination with Rachel's eyelids (as in trying to bite them, which we are very much dissuading him from doing.) Since our dog loathes, hates and abominates all felines - the result of being attacked by a pair when he was a pup - we keep the boys at RJ's parents' home while they're visiting. I'm afraid he'd have 'em for breakfast if they got loose here.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
A have three Himalayan cats who are pretty crazy. Himalayans are a combination of Persian (affectionate) & Siamese. Siamese are extremely vocal so mine "talk" alot much like many of the cats at youtube. They also tend to argrue with me. (my husband has walked in on some pretty ridiculous "back & forth" exchanges...)

They also do lots of tricks the same way dogs do... And my male (who was neutered 8 years ago..) seems to think my right arm is his girlfriend but please believe me when I say he has NO clue as to how to go about *anything*. Mostly, he just cuddles next to it with an "arm" and a leg slung over it making goo-goo eyes... It's so funny.

He also weighs 23 lbs. & sleeps on me all night. I don't mind saying IT HURTS but I love him so it's OKish.

They also make me build tents & forts for them to play in all over the house. They have a way of communicating. (ie: bossing me around)

We aren't allowed to even talk about Tinkerbell's crusty, stinky butt or she's get EXTREMELY bent out of shape!!! Last night she slept with that thing right in my face. It gave me nightmares. Seriously.

One of the things I love most about Gordon is his love of cats. It tugs at my heartstrings. During that video interview in his home I noticed how incredibly gentle he was while picking up his son's cat.
I had always thought that Gordon was at least a respecter of cats. To know that he loves them is a good thing too. Now as for your cat that keeps it's keister in your face, I know what that's like. I had one cat that did that & would get offended if I tried to move them. Right now, Gideon, my rescue kitty, has this thing about laying claim to any sizable box he sees. He likes to play in them & yowls at me to open any box that he finds is closed. His latest claim is an empty 12 pack soda box that we finally managed to get into the trash can yesterday. Now he's discovered the bathroom & the top shelf where we keep the bathtowels.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
timetraveler

Quote:
YIKES! This must be why I sometimes see signs for "Attack Cat" or "Beware Of The Cat"?

Of my three cats two are super shy & hide when people come over. Then there's Tinkerbell who is best buddies with every stranger she sees! She really makes a complete pest of herself purring & rubbing up against everyone's legs acting like, "HI EVERYBODY! I am TINK-er-bell.... and I LOVE you! Wanna Talk? Play? Let's kiss. I also love to *bonk* heads. That's really good "love"..." blah blah blan.. I have to peel her off everyone.
Sounds like a cat that I'd have a hard time resisting, a real sweetheart.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
We have a half German Shepherd, half Samoyed who looks like a white wolf and acts like a big chicken. This can be a problem when you have winter, and therefore snow and snow plows, for 5 months of the year, and he thinks he's only 5 pounds instead of 95 when he tries to hide under the bed, under the sideboard, behind the couch, under the kitchen table, under the computer desk - you get the picture. Trucks back up (beep beep) and he's a clinging, quivering mass of white fur trying to climb up into my lap.

Last year he learned a new trick, barking when he's "done" eating, to go outside. Except every time you get up to let him out, the face dives back into the food bowl to eat some more. He'll do that three or four times before he's REALLY finished.

As part Sammy he's very talky, too, and will hold lengthy conversations - complaints, really - when he's ticked off at you for something, like leaving him home when you go out without him.

Our daughter recently adopted two shelter kitties, Elmer and Ernie. Elmer was the runt, with blue eyes and a big "I'm a baby, hold me" attitude. Ernie is the psycho cat, will tolerate being held for short periods of his choosing, and has a fascination with Rachel's eyelids (as in trying to bite them, which we are very much dissuading him from doing.) Since our dog loathes, hates and abominates all felines - the result of being attacked by a pair when he was a pup - we keep the boys at RJ's parents' home while they're visiting. I'm afraid he'd have 'em for breakfast if they got loose here.
it's too bad that your dog had such a rtraumatic first time experience with cats when he did. It looks like you're doing the right thing there. And your Elmer & Ernie sound like regular darlings too.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
fezo

I've been known to have a few cats around but the current house population is one cat because she will not abide another cat in the house!

This is Mittens (never let a kid name a cat!). I call her Shamu because she is teh right coloring and weight.

We have two dogs - both lab mixes of sorts.. One was already here when Mittens showed up so she respects his seniority. The other came later and she will not allow him in her presence.

To top things off we have mice. Right now there are two of them because we lost our senior mouse a few days ago. They are cute animals but only live a year and a half or so. Having them in their glass house drives Mittens crazy - so near and yet so far...
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
joveski

Quote:
Almost forgot... I once saw a pillow I should have bought but didn't. It said:

Dogs have Masters.
Cats have Staff.

We've had both and it's so true...

or,

Dogs are loyal to anyone
Cats choose who their friends are

Dogs come when you call them
Cats take a message and get back to you when its when they feel like it
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
or,

Dogs are loyal to anyone
Cats choose who their friends are

Dogs come when you call them
Cats take a message and get back to you when its when they feel like it
Over the years, I've found that one of the biggest reasons that dogs are loyal to anyone is that most of the time it's due to the master's emotional neglect of the animal, which is a real pity, as I've found that dogs have personalities that just as facinating & interesting as a cats. Myself, if the Allmighty had to pick a pet, he might pick a dog, since dogs, like God, have unconditional love & a great deal of it. And cats are more like humans when it comes to love, as they are fiercer & more protective of those that they love. So, in my house, as we have two of each, there's a whole lotta of love.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
Jesse Joe

Jezebel love that name ! It's really great to see you people talking about animals the way you do, there are too many cruelty towards animals in this world sometimes.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
fezo

Holy smokes!

Now don't take this the wrong way because I actually find it pretty amusing. Seven years ago we were grilled eight ways to Sunday and finally got approvals of two sovereign nations to adopt a girl from China.

We were denied, however, adopting a dog from a rescue. You don't need a fenced yard for a kid but you do for a dog. Oh, well.....
Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
Unsettled 1

In answer to Misty's question, I have 2 Eclectus Parrots. They are beautiful birds and the male is quite the talker. He has a large vocabulary and can mimic voices perfectly. I did teach him to say "Phartbag" (I can I say that if I use the ph) much to my wifes chagrin. But we also have 3 dogs and 2 cats to complete the menagerie. My wife is an Animal Training Manager at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, so of course none of our animals are trained. All 3 dogs and 1 cat sleep on the bed at night, so if you get there last, you're out of luck. Truth be told, I prefer animals to most people, as they are incapable of guile, for the most part anyway LOL.

Just thought I'd chime in.

Brian
Unsettled 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #15
fezo

Yeah, like any field rescue groups have their extremes. Kind of funny. We always end up with mutts. The folks trying to place those tend to be a great deal less finicky. A happy placement for dog and person is the thing to look for.

The sad news here is I think Gromit, our senior dog, has really just about had it. He's a black lab - chow mix, almost 15 and the single best kid friendly dog I have ever seen. Truth be told if said adopted daughter (that would be Claire) were not so emotionally attached it would have happened already. The three other girls are the same way but Claire is really heavily attached. Gromit's hips are shot, his control is gone. If he stopped eating as much as ever or wasn't reacting to approval as much as he still is it would be easier. Sigh.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #16
adampatric

hi timetraveler,
That's a good kind of parenthood you are providing to your Kitty. Could you please post it's picture here, I am eagerly waiting for it's Snap.
Thanks,
Old 02-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
timetraveler

Fezo, I know where you're coming from there. It's the hardest thing on earth to do, to see a beloved family member gradually decline like that. The same feelings were going through me when we had to humanely put down our Duchess Kitty several years ago. I finally got to put an angel on her burial spot, which was her favourite spot in the back yard. It's definately the hardest thing to do, which is to let go.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #18
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Jezebel love that name ! It's really great to see you people talking about animals the way you do, there are too many cruelty towards animals in this world sometimes.
I don't remember who it was who said it, but I do believe that they were right when they said that future generations will judge us rather harshly based on how we treat our animals & our elderly. i've never understood how a person could take the time, trouble & expense to adopt an animal & not make it a part of the family. Instead, they treat it as if it's just another piece of furniture.Outrageous I think.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Yuri

My Whiskey Dog Morning

Having returned from yet another canoe trip the night before, I went to my garage in order to sort through the gear that had been deposited on the floor.

Scratches and snorts at the inside door told me that my dog ‘Whiskey’ was eager to join in the fun and have a sniff at what exotic odours I may have brought back for him.

Clipping a rather lengthy leash to his collar, I secured the other end to the bumper of my car thereby giving Whiskey full reign of the front yard while I moved items in and out of the garage.

It wasn’t long before unrecognizable sounds of commotion began to drift from the yard. Strolling out of the garage to investigate, I was horrified to see that Whiskey had a large bag of fertilizer grasped firmly between his jaws and with each shake of the head, was flinging the contents wildly about the lawn. A second bag, contents already expended, lay limp at his side. With my panicked shouts, Whiskey dropped the bag and approached with wagging tail and rather pleased look. Grabbing him by the scruff of the neck, I unhitched Whiskey from the lead and marched him back indoors where, no doubt, my ‘hound from hell’ would find other items to destroy.

Fearful that the grass would be burned beyond recoverable, I dropped to my knees and in a panic, attempted to scoop the mounds of pellets back into the bag. Realizing that recovering the thousands of beads that lay scattered across my yard by hand was futile, an idea came to mind. Retreating to the garage I plugged in my upright floor vacuum cleaner and began running it back and forth over the area peppered with pellets. Continuous clicks and pings coming from the housing convinced me the technique worked and had me break out in a wide grin.

A few astonished neighbours slowed as they drove by, observing my vacuuming of the front lawn, unsure of what to make of my puzzling behaviour. Still sporting my silly grin, I tried to explain actions by shouting back~

“It’s because of Whiskey!”

That inadequate statement sure gave the neighbourhood something to talk about for the next year!

Cheers!

Whiskey is long gone and now we find ourselves terrorized by flying rodents known as budgies. A couple of attached photos showing the trouble they can get into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird_Bowl 2.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	3268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird_Bowl 1.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	3269  
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Great story ! Very descriptive writing. Excellent.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #21
charlene

LOL!!
I've been known to vacuum the garage floor but can't blame a dog..

Budgie birds - oh my they are devils. We had a blue one when I was a kid that would fly into the bath when we were in it, flutter around in the toilet if the lid was left up and would dive bomb the table where my parents were playing cards, grabbing a card and if the toilet lid was up would drop it in the bowl! He pecked the hell out of our living room drapes too. Peter took flight one day out an open window...and was gone for two days, flying back into the house through the window he exited from! And he swore - thanks to a cousin who had him over the summer one year..she taught him to say "Peter's a bugger, bugger, bugger"... lol
He lived to be 18...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #22
Jesse Joe

Really enjoyed that Yuri... (laughed out loud) if I would have been drinking a beverage just now I would have probably repeated what Char is known to have done..."coffee all over the keypad" in my case diet pepsi !

Quote:
A few astonished neighbours slowed as they drove by, observing my vacuuming of the front lawn, unsure of what to make of my puzzling behaviour. Still sporting my silly grin, I tried to explain actions by shouting back~

Really funny... & btw Whiskey was a good looking dog ! They just dont live long enough.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #23
Jesse Joe

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...article/963201

'Giant George' is tallest dog: Guinness

Published Tuesday February 23rd, 2010

TUCSON, Ariz. - Guinness World Records says a Great Dane in the U.S. standing 3 feet, 7 inches (1.09 metres) tall from paw to shoulder is the tallest dog ever on record.

The Associated Press

This photo released by Guinness World Records shows Giant George, a Great Dane from Tucson, AZ, stands 3 feet, 7 inches tall from paw to shoulder. Sitting under Giant George is owner David Nasser.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #24
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
My Whiskey Dog Morning

Having returned from yet another canoe trip the night before, I went to my garage in order to sort through the gear that had been deposited on the floor.

Scratches and snorts at the inside door told me that my dog ‘Whiskey’ was eager to join in the fun and have a sniff at what exotic odours I may have brought back for him.

Clipping a rather lengthy leash to his collar, I secured the other end to the bumper of my car thereby giving Whiskey full reign of the front yard while I moved items in and out of the garage.

It wasn’t long before unrecognizable sounds of commotion began to drift from the yard. Strolling out of the garage to investigate, I was horrified to see that Whiskey had a large bag of fertilizer grasped firmly between his jaws and with each shake of the head, was flinging the contents wildly about the lawn. A second bag, contents already expended, lay limp at his side. With my panicked shouts, Whiskey dropped the bag and approached with wagging tail and rather pleased look. Grabbing him by the scruff of the neck, I unhitched Whiskey from the lead and marched him back indoors where, no doubt, my ‘hound from hell’ would find other items to destroy.

Fearful that the grass would be burned beyond recoverable, I dropped to my knees and in a panic, attempted to scoop the mounds of pellets back into the bag. Realizing that recovering the thousands of beads that lay scattered across my yard by hand was futile, an idea came to mind. Retreating to the garage I plugged in my upright floor vacuum cleaner and began running it back and forth over the area peppered with pellets. Continuous clicks and pings coming from the housing convinced me the technique worked and had me break out in a wide grin.

That inadequate statement sure gave the neighbourhood something to talk about for the next year!

Cheers!

Whiskey is long gone and now we find ourselves terrorized by flying rodents known as budgies. A couple of attached photos showing the trouble they can get into.
It sounds to me like he was trying to help with the yard. He might have been saying that, in his opinion, the yard wasn't green enough, nor the grass tall enough to suit him. Even though it makes mine sneeze & cough some, they aren't happy until they have a run in the tall grass in our yard.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
timetraveler

People, I read the most depressing article that had to do with what I'd call the pure selfishness & cruelty that some people exhibit toward their animal bretheren. It seems that there was this young man who had a perfectly healthy 2 year old Yorky, and before he passed away, he had given orders that his dog be put down so that the dog could be buried with him. Well, the man passed on recently, so his family complied with his final wishes & had the local vet put the dog down. The poor vet tried begging them to let the dog live, but was eventually coerced, more or less, to do the awful deed. Now the poor man is essentially in hiding & won't talk to anyone. Quite frankly, who can blame the man? Myself, I think that there ought to be a law that says that if a person brings in an animal that proves to be perfectly healthy & physically fit, for euthanasia, then the vet should be able to take immediate custody of the animal & have it put up for adoption 30 days after the vet takes custody of the animal.

I was so heartsick after reading the article, as I imagined what the poor dog might have been thinking. Bad enough that the poor thing couldn't understand what happened to it's "daddy", but to be further traumatized because it couldn't understand the reason for it being put down, thinking to itsself, "what did I do wrong? I'm not sick or mortally injured, so why are they doing this to me?"

Like I said, there ought to be a law.