banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #51
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Default Re: Which Gordon Lightfoot song makes you cry?

Apology is probably the saddest song he has written because I can relate to it (don't show enough luv and they slip away). I wish he would do another recording of that one.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #52
The Rez

Which Song Makes Ol' Rez Cry . . . The Auctioneer [Leroy van Dyke]

It tears me in three that

[being a cross-bread Balboa-Okie]

I just can't sing/talk that fast . . . !

Were I to sing the song, it would be a 9 min opus
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #53
Guitarman2214

Send a message via AIM to Guitarman2214

I would have to say all of them...But if I really have to narrow it down I'm gonna go with...Long River, Minstrel of the Dawn, Now and Then, Shadows, Does Your Mother Know and Dreamland just to name a few : )
Guitarman2214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #54
chillicothe20

Affair on 8th Avenue really gets me.
chillicothe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #55
TC

Sometimes on the weekends I'll pick up the geetar, clear off the dust, break out a lightfoot songbook and attempt to play and sing a bit of Gord's music. I will often times record it...listening to me attempt to play a guitar and sing is what makes me cry

Tony
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #56
KHester

Without a doubt, it must be Too late for Praying, it not only brings a tear to the eye. But also brings a realization to the heart, and to the mind.

Kevin

I wish you good spaces.....
Old 07-15-2008, 01:55 AM   #57
Nightingale

I think a lot of it depends on what's happening in my life.
Gordon has so many beautiful songs that speak to a heart that's breaking for whatever reason...how can you choose just one?
Too Late For Prayin'...that song is very appropriate for the world today
I can never listen without a tear or two for the sadness of life expressed in that song.

The Watchman's Gone is one that can get to me...I'd Rather Press On....Now And Then..Tattoo...It's Worth Believin'....and lately, for some reason, The Pony Man.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #58
joveski

much to my surprise
i'll tag along
river of light
cabaret
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 AM   #59
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
None yet !

Bill

Even his "sad" songs make me smile, go figure.
Still the same, almost 2 years later.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #60
Jesse Joe

Welcome to Corfid "Guitarman 2214", your among friends here.

Back to the topic Im like BILLW, "None yet !"
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #61
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
Sometimes on the weekends I'll pick up the geetar, clear off the dust, break out a lightfoot songbook and attempt to play and sing a bit of Gord's music. I will often times record it...listening to me attempt to play a guitar and sing is what makes me cry

Tony
Pretty good TC, this really made me laugh...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #62
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

The only one I can think of, is when I had a romantic break up many years ago, Looking At The Rain, keyed up some emotions in me. Still makes me think of that time in life whenever I hear it.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #63
mandoann

The Last Time I Saw Her
Bitter Green
Sometimes I Wish (last song on Harmony...)

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #64
bjm7777

"A Passing Ship", "Tattoo", "All The Lovely Ladies", "River of Light"....there are others. Can't pin it down to one song.....I thing being moved to tears is the whole point of it all....
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #65
geodeticman.5

Misty - High there ! I agree with the song you mentioned of "That Same Old Obsession" makes me well-up, and man can he sing in that one - perfect selective vibrato - I can "see" the sun shining like gold.. .

And Station and Shut up et al I agree totally with "Too Late for Prayin' " - and there again he really pulls out the stops in his masterful singing.. .

Hello Bru ! - I agree completely with Clouds of Loneliness - so sad.

And with losing Merry, "our song" was "Beautiful"; had that sung at our Wedding and played at Merry's funeral, so Char I agree on this one big time- it breaks me up major.... but also makes me smile..

Bo(rder) I agree at the end of Too Late for Prayin, even if I hold out til then, In the You Tube vistory version showing Jesus t the end with with what appears to be a tear in his eye and I lose it right there for sure, if I made it to begin with... . And of too many more to list - one that stands out currently, two actually, again (sorry guys) fron losing Merry, are: before she passed - "Your Love's Return", and now after she is gone - I am a basket case listening to: "The Last Time I Saw Her Face"
- her eyes were bathed in starlight, and her hair hung long....
oh Lord here I go again God Bless Gordon and his crystal ball into our hearts, and his foretelling lyrical paintbrush....how does he KNOW that what he writes is in our hearts, too....? I guess its no miracle to to be able to write what all men and women of passion feel in their hearts.... but it sure is a gift.
~geo steve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #66
mandoann

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
Misty - High there ! I agree with the song you mentioned of "That Same Old Obsession" makes me well-up, and man can he sing in that one - perfect selective vibrato - I can "see" the sun shining like gold.. .

And Station and Shut up et al I agree totally with "Too Late for Prayin' " - and there again he really pulls out the stops in his masterful singing.. .

Hello Bru ! - I agree completely with Clouds of Loneliness - so sad.

And with losing Merry, "our song" was "Beautiful"; had that sung at our Wedding and played at Merry's funeral, so Char I agree on this one big time- it breaks me up major.... but also makes me smile..

Bo(rder) I agree at the end of Too Late for Prayin, even if I hold out til then, In the You Tube vistory version showing Jesus t the end with with what appears to be a tear in his eye and I lose it right there for sure, if I made it to begin with... . And of too many more to list - one that stands out currently, two actually, again (sorry guys) fron losing Merry, are: before she passed - "Your Love's Return", and now after she is gone - I am a basket case listening to: "The Last Time I Saw Her Face"
- her eyes were bathed in starlight, and her hair hung long....
oh Lord here I go again God Bless Gordon and his crystal ball into our hearts, and his foretelling lyrical paintbrush....how does he KNOW that what he writes is in our hearts, too....? I guess its no miracle to to be able to write what all men and women of passion feel in their hearts.... but it sure is a gift.
~geo steve
Hi Steve,
I have been reading all the posts and wanted to add my prayers of sympathy at your loss. And I echo your thoughts: I thank God for Gord. It brings tears to my eyes thinking how his songs express what is in our hearts (happiness and delight, as well as sadness). I am so thankful to be part of a group of people that appreciate his gift and each other.

Once again, please accept my condolences...

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #67
geodeticman.5

Thank you [I]very[I] much, Ann... I appreciate your kind words and thoughtful observation as well, of Gord's music. I'm glad you found some meaning in my words.
~geo Steve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #68
Tim

With so much mention of "Home From the Forest" in this thread, I have to give an honorable mention to the way Murry McLaughlan performed it on the "Tribute" CD. He sings it so well, and with so much emotion.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #69
spammer

Today it's Apology, Lookin' At The Rain, Sometimes I Wish, Stay Loose. Also, Someone To Believe In.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #70
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
Still the same, almost 2 years later.
Not everyone is as tough as you.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:44 AM   #71
Nightingale

That's funny, Shutup and Deal, I'm losin'.

I forgot about Looking At The Rain...that is such a great song.
It really does contain that awful and sad feeling you get when you want so much to make it work and it just can't. It's kind of a shell shocked and scared feeling that mix in with being sad.

That Gordon...darm him anyway! He sure knows how to make someone cry.
Except for tough ole Bill W...
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #72
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
That's funny, Shutup and Deal, I'm losin'.

I forgot about Looking At The Rain...that is such a great song.
It really does contain that awful and sad feeling you get when you want so much to make it work and it just can't. It's kind of a shell shocked and scared feeling that mix in with being sad.

That Gordon...darm him anyway! He sure knows how to make someone cry.
Except for tough ole Bill W...
LOL.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #73
HeyokaFilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen snyder View Post
At the concert in Indy last fall, my husband thought I was going nuts but every other song I was misty eyed... I had eyes shining with a smile and tears running out of my eyes for the passion of the man. I must admit he is "art"-ist enough for me. Blessed is the thought that was running through my mind. He had enough God in him to correct the things in his past that made him move off his goals, that was a chore. AND then write about them. Additionally he had enough compassion for us to know we all go through his emotions someone said "to stand in front of a crowd of thousands and bare your soul, etc..." we are in this together, he, you and I. He is a gift for us. We are so lucky to be in his "era". Until I started coming to this sight, the words to some of his songs alluded me, songs like "home from the forest" really didn't make sense (so it wasn't a favorite) until I read the words and identified with the sadness of the situation. We are Gord's gift, too, to be able to identify with his music and to be as "Ginny" put it in this unique space and time with a "cultural icon" like Gordon Lightfoot. Yes!!!!!
Hello Gwen, and forum members
I'm a newbee here, posting for the first time. I'd like to say first, that I feel this is a special honorable place, (thanks to Char for making it possible, and all you for posting). I'm finding this humanly grateful, emotional connection, or thread that connects us all to this man, a very unique experience. I agree with "Ginny" too, that this is a special time and place, to all feel this close identification with Gordon's music. The enlightened works of Gordon Lightfoot's music, and pen, will certainly be discussed someday as is the emotional, sensual poetry of Walt Whitman's; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaves_of_Grass
I aspire to be a heartfelt writer. Most times, I ponder about the sociology of the future humanity, and where we are going. That possible future without a direct connection to true experiences, loving and the loss of love once had. This special "man and his music", is ours to share. So...as I began working on a new idea for a screenplay, a while back, I wondered about ...what it would be like in that future, not having these gifted people, offering their natural emotional connections through the arts. Those future humans beings, wanting to reconnect again, with their past ancestry, and that time long ago, when humans cried with sadness and joy. We humans may be only remembered, by some, as simple and primitive, cave dwellers, but we sure do feel our emotions to the bone! LOL
I do have many visual experiences, while listening to Gordon's music, as I'm sure you all do too. These sometimes animated, and graphic character studies come in daydreams. I try to capture them on paper or by keystroke. Sometimes, by selecting and positioning my playlist of Gordon's songs I have met many connective threads between these unique, biographical characters. Sometimes their, character experiences, seem to form a coalescence into story chapters. These developments are only now in drafts stages. Yet, later on, I envision a running dialog between them. "Let them speak", so the songs tell me...What do the songs tell you?
I'm sure you all have these visuals too? (while listening) I would enjoy hearing about your experiences, with those characters in Gordon's songs. Greetings to you all. Thanks for letting me board.
Cheers,
Christopher
HeyokaFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #74
charlene

Welcome to corfid!

I am but the moderator here with all these fine folks and tough old Bill...

Florian owns and manages all the 'geeky' stuff at this website..lol

Feel free to add to a thread or start your own..!

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #75
HeyokaFilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Welcome to corfid!

I am but the moderator here with all these fine folks and tough old Bill...

Florian owns and manages all the 'geeky' stuff at this website..lol

Feel free to add to a thread or start your own..!

Char
Hello Char, and forum members
It is a pleasure to be among such a devoted flock... I'd like to start a new thread perhaps, as I'm developing this screenplay. There are so many well studied folks here, I mostly want to deepen my "Lightfoot" knowledge base.
Chers,
Christopher
HeyokaFilms is offline   Reply With Quote