banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
Lil Hoov

While looking through the recent Rediscover Music catalogue, I found a cd. available called: MAC WISEMAN sings GORDON LIGHTFOOT. The description reads like this:MAC WISEMAN is best known as the outstanding Bluegrass musician he is, and Bluegrass normally doesn't come to mind when you mention Gordon Lightfoot. Yet in 1977, Wiseman recorded an album of Lightfoot songs which has now been re-issued on CD.,take a listen.You might be pleasantly surprised...The product# is CD:MW16296D $12.00. Web page is REDISCOVERMUSIC.COM RANDY
Old 03-02-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
Lil Hoov

While looking through the recent Rediscover Music catalogue, I found a cd. available called: MAC WISEMAN sings GORDON LIGHTFOOT. The description reads like this:MAC WISEMAN is best known as the outstanding Bluegrass musician he is, and Bluegrass normally doesn't come to mind when you mention Gordon Lightfoot. Yet in 1977, Wiseman recorded an album of Lightfoot songs which has now been re-issued on CD.,take a listen.You might be pleasantly surprised...The product# is CD:MW16296D $12.00. Web page is REDISCOVERMUSIC.COM RANDY
Old 03-03-2003, 03:35 PM   #3
Borderstone

Actually,if you've heard either,"The Auctioneer" or,"Red Velvet",GL sounds pretty Bluegrass on those.

------------------
Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:46 PM   #4
Lil Hoov

Tose songs do sound a little Bluegrass,I wonder what songs Mac covered on that album,anyone know? Randy
Old 03-03-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
Lil Hoov

Tose songs do sound a little Bluegrass,I wonder what songs Mac covered on that album,anyone know? Randy
Old 03-03-2003, 05:50 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

Oh, my. Disclaimer: I'm not fond of covers of Gord's work in general, and, as one reviewer put it:

"Gordon Lightfoot was recently in the hospital with a serious medical condition. He was release [sic] and he is doing just fine now. I would like to warn Mr. Lightfoot not to play this tribute. He will have a heart attack and find himself looking at the ceiling of his hospital room again, if he is tricked into listening to these 11 songs of misery.

I'm not going to go into details about how annoying Mr. Wiseman's voice is or the fact that he massacres each song that he attempts to do. My suggestion to you is not to waste the electricity it would take to power up your stereo system to hear this piece of work."

For the record (sorry) the songs included are Did She Mention My Name, Cotton Jenny, Rainy Day People, Summertime Dream, For Lovin' Me, Steel Rail Blues, Ribbon of Darkness, House You Live In, Early Morning Rain, Old Dan's Record, and Sundown. You can hear samples of the first five on Amazon.com in either WindowsMedia or Real format. It was recorded in 1975.

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:50 PM   #7
Auburn Annie

Oh, my. Disclaimer: I'm not fond of covers of Gord's work in general, and, as one reviewer put it:

"Gordon Lightfoot was recently in the hospital with a serious medical condition. He was release [sic] and he is doing just fine now. I would like to warn Mr. Lightfoot not to play this tribute. He will have a heart attack and find himself looking at the ceiling of his hospital room again, if he is tricked into listening to these 11 songs of misery.

I'm not going to go into details about how annoying Mr. Wiseman's voice is or the fact that he massacres each song that he attempts to do. My suggestion to you is not to waste the electricity it would take to power up your stereo system to hear this piece of work."

For the record (sorry) the songs included are Did She Mention My Name, Cotton Jenny, Rainy Day People, Summertime Dream, For Lovin' Me, Steel Rail Blues, Ribbon of Darkness, House You Live In, Early Morning Rain, Old Dan's Record, and Sundown. You can hear samples of the first five on Amazon.com in either WindowsMedia or Real format. It was recorded in 1975.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:34 PM   #8
closetcanadian

I just hopped over to Amazon and listened to the audio clips. Mac Wiseman's renditions aren't as lethal as the reviewer above claims, but lordy, they're not my cup of musical tea. On the plus side, everyone should check out the rediscovermusic.com website. Excellent selection of folk albums available!

------------------
"be calm in the face of all common disgraces...and know what they're doin' it for..."
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:27 AM   #9
titan

That Auburn Annie Gal is Diehard. I'd hate
to see what she would say to the people on American Idol if they tried to sing a GL
song!!!

I will say this: You are the kind of person
that would be loyal to the people you care
about.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:27 AM   #10
titan

That Auburn Annie Gal is Diehard. I'd hate
to see what she would say to the people on American Idol if they tried to sing a GL
song!!!

I will say this: You are the kind of person
that would be loyal to the people you care
about.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:55 AM   #11
BrightSide

Haven't heard this one, but I can *heartily* recommend the "Tony Rice Sings Lightfoot" CD. This is also bluegrass; Rice is considered one of the best--if not *the* best--of the "newgrass" (modern bluegrass--like Alison Krauss) pickers. Terry Clements very much admires his work, and kudos don't come from a more solid source!
BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:55 AM   #12
MaryEllen

Haven't heard this one, but I can *heartily* recommend the "Tony Rice Sings Lightfoot" CD. This is also bluegrass; Rice is considered one of the best--if not *the* best--of the "newgrass" (modern bluegrass--like Alison Krauss) pickers. Terry Clements very much admires his work, and kudos don't come from a more solid source!
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:29 AM   #13
Auburn Annie

Titan (and all) - the quote was from the Amazon site, not me. Having reviewed (books) for a dozen years I have to say there was only one book I seriously panned - actually wanted to throw the thing across the room, and even then I found SOMETHING nice to say about it (the concept was terrific, the execution lethal - not my exact words but it's been 10 years and I'd prefer not to dredge up memories of the thing.)
Loyal, yes; not entirely close-minded. I have heard many good things about Tony Rice's versions. For me the Wiseman album is sort of the musical equivalent of a pastiche of literary works, like the Solar Pons books imitating Sherlock Holmes stories, or any number of imitators. They may capture something of the flavor, throw in all the tics and catchphrases, but it lacks the true voice of the original.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:29 AM   #14
Auburn Annie

Titan (and all) - the quote was from the Amazon site, not me. Having reviewed (books) for a dozen years I have to say there was only one book I seriously panned - actually wanted to throw the thing across the room, and even then I found SOMETHING nice to say about it (the concept was terrific, the execution lethal - not my exact words but it's been 10 years and I'd prefer not to dredge up memories of the thing.)
Loyal, yes; not entirely close-minded. I have heard many good things about Tony Rice's versions. For me the Wiseman album is sort of the musical equivalent of a pastiche of literary works, like the Solar Pons books imitating Sherlock Holmes stories, or any number of imitators. They may capture something of the flavor, throw in all the tics and catchphrases, but it lacks the true voice of the original.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #15
srodts-palenik

<g> annie is quite right ...

i've been a musician for years and have followed gl, like most of us here, for decades.

i am extremely hesitant to play/sing a gl tune in public. i do so in the privacy of my kitchen <g>, when no one is listening. not that i'm bad, rather, there is no way in the world i can do justice to gl's work. folks who listen to gl, expect nothing less than trueness in delivery.

of all the musicians that have covered gl, only one can pull it off and that's tony rice.

there are some musicians/songs that just can't be played by any other than the original.

i know there are some on the board who do play and i'm sure play well, the gl tunes. i've not had the opportunity to hear them, at least not yet.

i had been kicking over the idea of including two gl tunes into the gig but i've had second thoughts. they are, Only Love Would Know and If It Should Please You. both numbers are very simple tunes and melodies relatively easy. there is just no way on earth i can catch the nuances that gl puts in his lyrics and that is why i'm hesitant and having second thoughts.

so to those folks that are succeeding with playing their gl tunes, what is the true response from your audience?

i'm really curious! <g>

ambrose

[This message has been edited by ambrose (edited March 04, 2003).]
srodts-palenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #16
ambrose

<g> annie is quite right ...

i've been a musician for years and have followed gl, like most of us here, for decades.

i am extremely hesitant to play/sing a gl tune in public. i do so in the privacy of my kitchen <g>, when no one is listening. not that i'm bad, rather, there is no way in the world i can do justice to gl's work. folks who listen to gl, expect nothing less than trueness in delivery.

of all the musicians that have covered gl, only one can pull it off and that's tony rice.

there are some musicians/songs that just can't be played by any other than the original.

i know there are some on the board who do play and i'm sure play well, the gl tunes. i've not had the opportunity to hear them, at least not yet.

i had been kicking over the idea of including two gl tunes into the gig but i've had second thoughts. they are, Only Love Would Know and If It Should Please You. both numbers are very simple tunes and melodies relatively easy. there is just no way on earth i can catch the nuances that gl puts in his lyrics and that is why i'm hesitant and having second thoughts.

so to those folks that are succeeding with playing their gl tunes, what is the true response from your audience?

i'm really curious! <g>

ambrose

[This message has been edited by ambrose (edited March 04, 2003).]
ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:13 PM   #17
Shane

I am a big bluegrass fan and Gordon is my favorite songwriter. But, I have to agree that the Mac Wiseman album does not work well. Mac has done better work and it does not not do Gord's work justice.

Having said that; I do not understand why some act as if they are offended by others covering Gordon's songs. There is no higher honor for a songwriter than to have someone else record their compositions. And despite what Gordon may think of the way others sing his songs; I am sure he does not complain when the royalty checks arrive in the mail.

I am an amatuer musician and love to do Gordon's songs. I do not pretend to be on Gordon's musical level but, his songs are fun to do and others enjoy hearing them. I think singers will be doing his songs 100 years from now.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:13 PM   #18
Scott Mac

I am a big bluegrass fan and Gordon is my favorite songwriter. But, I have to agree that the Mac Wiseman album does not work well. Mac has done better work and it does not not do Gord's work justice.

Having said that; I do not understand why some act as if they are offended by others covering Gordon's songs. There is no higher honor for a songwriter than to have someone else record their compositions. And despite what Gordon may think of the way others sing his songs; I am sure he does not complain when the royalty checks arrive in the mail.

I am an amatuer musician and love to do Gordon's songs. I do not pretend to be on Gordon's musical level but, his songs are fun to do and others enjoy hearing them. I think singers will be doing his songs 100 years from now.
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:19 PM   #19
psa

You know, I echo the feeling of most of what
I've seen written here--it's a daunting task
to cover a Lightfoot tune. And a true rarity when such a cover can compete with the original.

But one such example, for those who haven't heard it, is Kate Campbell's spiritual take on "The House You Live In" (opening cut on WANDERING STRANGE CD). It's ultimately a subjective choice but, dare I say, it is
the one Lightfoot cover I find that surpasses the original. Please don't stone me.

Check it out. patrick
Old 03-05-2003, 06:19 PM   #20
psa

You know, I echo the feeling of most of what
I've seen written here--it's a daunting task
to cover a Lightfoot tune. And a true rarity when such a cover can compete with the original.

But one such example, for those who haven't heard it, is Kate Campbell's spiritual take on "The House You Live In" (opening cut on WANDERING STRANGE CD). It's ultimately a subjective choice but, dare I say, it is
the one Lightfoot cover I find that surpasses the original. Please don't stone me.

Check it out. patrick
Old 03-06-2003, 09:31 PM   #21
Tyler

This is for sale on ebay.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:31 PM   #22
brink

This is for sale on ebay.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:50 AM   #23
gwen sue snyder

Well The house you Live In is such a great song and it was Derek Kidd of the Gordon Lightfoot Tribute Band who really turned me on to it after his spirited rendition at the Caffe Lena concert in Saratoga last March. so I Googled for "Kate Cambell WANDERING STRANGE " and was immediately asked if I meant Kate Campbell? Yes I said and was rewarded by a CD universe listing of the album complete with a 32 second clip
Very Nice
go to http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=1591964

[This message has been edited by fowlesjohn (edited March 07, 2003).]
gwen sue snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:50 AM   #24
fowlesjohn

Well The house you Live In is such a great song and it was Derek Kidd of the Gordon Lightfoot Tribute Band who really turned me on to it after his spirited rendition at the Caffe Lena concert in Saratoga last March. so I Googled for "Kate Cambell WANDERING STRANGE " and was immediately asked if I meant Kate Campbell? Yes I said and was rewarded by a CD universe listing of the album complete with a 32 second clip
Very Nice
go to http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=1591964

[This message has been edited by fowlesjohn (edited March 07, 2003).]
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote