banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-20-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
paredbear

Well, here is my dream scenario...

Early in 2005 Gord is well enough to perform again so on May 11th, one year after "Harmony" release the boys stroll down to Queen Street with their acoustic equipment and walk into Much Music. They set up on stage and give the greatest live performance ever. This acoustic session will kick off the summer with rave reviews and will be known as "The Recovery Tour - Unplugged" I know it sounds far fetched but one is allowed to dream...
paredbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
stationmaster

Well, here is my dream scenario...

Early in 2005 Gord is well enough to perform again so on May 11th, one year after "Harmony" release the boys stroll down to Queen Street with their acoustic equipment and walk into Much Music. They set up on stage and give the greatest live performance ever. This acoustic session will kick off the summer with rave reviews and will be known as "The Recovery Tour - Unplugged" I know it sounds far fetched but one is allowed to dream...
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:07 AM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Sounds like fun but a bunch of songs I'd like to hear on the 2005 Tour don't quite work 'unplugged'. Maybe half the show and plug in after the intermission ?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
stationmaster

Yes indeed! After the kids are gone home they can crank up the lead and blast the bass!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I've always thought it would be nice if Gord came out alone after intermission and did a couple of solo numbers. I'd love to hear him do Drink Yer Glasses Empty and I'll Tag Along, just Gord and his guitar.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
stationmaster

Yep! Gord and Martin pickin' out the best acoustic numbers for the fans. I would pay a small fortune to see that one. Of course I would have to find one first! lol
Old 06-22-2004, 01:50 AM   #7
Borderstone

Except for al the folk artists that came before him,Lightfoot is "the" original unplugged artist. (With the exception maybe of East Of Midnight.)

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #8
stationmaster

Did anyone like the "East of Midnight" album? I don't mind saying that I personally did not care for that album. Well not all of the album, just two songs: "A Lesson In Love" and "Anything for Love" I don't know why, but these two songs don't sound as good to me. Maybe it is the David Foster influence. Foster is great but he is not Lightfoot compatible. I did like "Tears are Not Enough" though!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:56 PM   #9
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by stationmaster:
Did anyone like the "East of Midnight" album? I don't mind saying that I personally did not care for that album. Well not all of the album, just two songs: "A Lesson In Love" and "Anything for Love" I don't know why, but these two songs don't sound as good to me. Maybe it is the David Foster influence. Foster is great but he is not Lightfoot compatible. I did like "Tears are Not Enough" though!

All the songs from the EOM album that were on Songbook sounded good to me. "A Lesson" did sound a little bit nonGord though.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:56 PM   #10
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by stationmaster:

All the songs from the EOM album that were on Songbook sounded good to me. "A Lesson" did sound a little bit nonGord though.

Old 06-22-2004, 09:12 PM   #11
stationmaster

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I don't know where that one came from. Gord must have visited the circus that day. This one rates up there with "Leaves of Grass" for me. I really love Gord's music but some of the lyrics are confusing!
Old 06-23-2004, 05:02 AM   #12
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stationmaster:
[B]Did anyone like the "East of Midnight" album?

Actually I like it a lot, but I guess every tune can't be to everyone's taste. But I usually play it all the way through.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #13
joveski

i actualy love it a lot and have it as one of my favourites..i like let it ride and a pssing ship even more
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #14
Selene

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
I've always thought it would be nice if Gord came out alone after intermission and did a couple of solo numbers. I'd love to hear him do Drink Yer Glasses Empty and I'll Tag Along, just Gord and his guitar.

In the late eighties and early nineties Gord did just that. He would come out alone after intermission and play a few solo. Then he would gradually add accompaniment (sp?).

Ironically, he would play unplugged versions of songs from East of Midnight. He and Terry Clements played the title track (he called it the light version) and I swear it was the like I had never heard the song before. The recorded version is so over-pop-orchestrated, it's too bad he didn't do the light version on the album. I really loved that version of East of Midnight.

I also really like Morning Glory, I'll Tag Along and A Lesson in Love. He played all these unplugged as well. There is a CD out there somewhere with these songs from a 1991 concert.

Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
Martin/12

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:

In the late eighties and early nineties Gord did just that. He would come out alone after intermission and play a few solo. Then he would gradually add accompaniment (sp?).

Ironically, he would play unplugged versions of songs from East of Midnight. He and Terry Clements played the title track (he called it the light version) and I swear it was the like I had never heard the song before. The recorded version is so over-pop-orchestrated, it's too bad he didn't do the light version on the album. I really loved that version of East of Midnight.

I also really like Morning Glory, I'll Tag Along and A Lesson in Love. He played all these unplugged as well. There is a CD out there somewhere with these songs from a 1991 concert.

Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #16
Selene

So Ironic.

On another note, it's so ironic that the one album that was so overly orchestrated with the pop-eighties sound is the one from which he chose songs for an accoustic arrangment in concert. It almost seems like he wanted to put these songs in their proper context after the album was not well received. And if Gord hadn't had the bad experience with that project, I don't think he would have gone on a 7-year hiatus before he released WFY. I also thought that title was very ironic--we were waiting for him to write! He even has a line in the song that says "waiting for you to ask what's keeping me". Too much irony.

I remember seeing a quote that he felt like he "didn't have anything left to say" after releasing EOM. It was a real set back because he had talked the record company into letting him produce it his own way, and he seemed to think this album would get him back on track.

Just think of the music we could have had from his later prime years while he still had a full rich sound--if he had been producing during the late eighties. It was such a long time, we sort of figured he was through writing and recording. He's only had three projects since, and none has come that close to the work he did before EOM. The consolation was that WFY was a return to the true accoustic sound.

[This message has been edited by Martin/12 (edited June 24, 2004).]
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #17
Martin/12

So Ironic.

On another note, it's so ironic that the one album that was so overly orchestrated with the pop-eighties sound is the one from which he chose songs for an accoustic arrangment in concert. It almost seems like he wanted to put these songs in their proper context after the album was not well received. And if Gord hadn't had the bad experience with that project, I don't think he would have gone on a 7-year hiatus before he released WFY. I also thought that title was very ironic--we were waiting for him to write! He even has a line in the song that says "waiting for you to ask what's keeping me". Too much irony.

I remember seeing a quote that he felt like he "didn't have anything left to say" after releasing EOM. It was a real set back because he had talked the record company into letting him produce it his own way, and he seemed to think this album would get him back on track.

Just think of the music we could have had from his later prime years while he still had a full rich sound--if he had been producing during the late eighties. It was such a long time, we sort of figured he was through writing and recording. He's only had three projects since, and none has come that close to the work he did before EOM. The consolation was that WFY was a return to the true accoustic sound.

[This message has been edited by Martin/12 (edited June 24, 2004).]
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:34 PM   #18
stationmaster

Great post Martin/12. I agree that EOM was more of a "pop" sound. That was more of Foster's idea I believe. I think Gord would have produced a better album on his own. Well that's part of the big picture I guess! In my opinion, "Painter" and "Harmony" are far better releases, even with the lower vocal range. I enjoy Gord's "natural" sound with more acoustic arrangements. That's his style and what he does best...
Old 06-25-2004, 08:14 PM   #19
Simone

Haven't been here for a while. Feels good to be back.

I think Gordon Lightfoot unplugged, and/or alone would be the dream show. I have seen James Taylor, CSN, Springsteeen, Clapton, and a number of others this way. That "venue" lends itself to different interpretations of the songs, and to me, that is as cool as it gets. I would gladly hear some of that 80's stuff produced acoustic, or alone. That is what it is all about. Some of that stuff is simply awful in regards to recording quality. It could not get much worse. That issue always seems to bother the heck out of me. I don't think anyone can argue that the recording quality on some of that stuff (GG II etc.) was abyssmal. Why not remaster it?

My two cents, For What It's Worth.

Cheers

Chris
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:14 PM   #20
Chris in Virginia

Haven't been here for a while. Feels good to be back.

I think Gordon Lightfoot unplugged, and/or alone would be the dream show. I have seen James Taylor, CSN, Springsteeen, Clapton, and a number of others this way. That "venue" lends itself to different interpretations of the songs, and to me, that is as cool as it gets. I would gladly hear some of that 80's stuff produced acoustic, or alone. That is what it is all about. Some of that stuff is simply awful in regards to recording quality. It could not get much worse. That issue always seems to bother the heck out of me. I don't think anyone can argue that the recording quality on some of that stuff (GG II etc.) was abyssmal. Why not remaster it?

My two cents, For What It's Worth.

Cheers

Chris
Chris in Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:38 PM   #21
joestallion

I like all of Gord's albums, EOM definitely is included and is one of my favorites just because it is different. No it isn't classic Gord, but the great artists that are around for decades do have to reinvent themselves in order to go with the times, and I thought Gord made a nice attempt at this with EOM, even though it was not well-received.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:38 PM   #22
joestallion

I like all of Gord's albums, EOM definitely is included and is one of my favorites just because it is different. No it isn't classic Gord, but the great artists that are around for decades do have to reinvent themselves in order to go with the times, and I thought Gord made a nice attempt at this with EOM, even though it was not well-received.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:36 PM   #23
stationmaster

I was reading in the other fan-site that Gord may possibly return for a few live shows in the fall. Is this possible? If so, could my dream scenario come true? Hmm...
Old 07-13-2004, 09:53 PM   #24
stationmaster

Well Gord finally did it! It's only one song but at least he sang at Mariposa.