banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-06-2002, 08:20 PM   #1
dalyot

It would be wonderful if someone undertook a true analysis of Gordon's work instead of a critique of his drinking & alimony payments. People have done in-depth studies of Dylan, Seeger, Miles Davis, Springsteen, etc. Lightfoot is certainly worthy of an equally intense study.
What I mean by true analysis is an album by album, track by track discussion of everything Gordon has recorded. This sounds like a true fan's dream &, actually it is. When you see all the memoriliabia dedicated to these flavours of the week such as Britney, 'nsync, whatever, don't you think Gordon is worthy of a full-scale critique of everything he has done from "Early Morning Rain", to "Uncle Toad Said"?
Hopefully one day someone more ambitious than me will carry out this project.

In the meantime,
All the best Lightheads,
James Hill
dalyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 08:20 PM   #2
james hill

It would be wonderful if someone undertook a true analysis of Gordon's work instead of a critique of his drinking & alimony payments. People have done in-depth studies of Dylan, Seeger, Miles Davis, Springsteen, etc. Lightfoot is certainly worthy of an equally intense study.
What I mean by true analysis is an album by album, track by track discussion of everything Gordon has recorded. This sounds like a true fan's dream &, actually it is. When you see all the memoriliabia dedicated to these flavours of the week such as Britney, 'nsync, whatever, don't you think Gordon is worthy of a full-scale critique of everything he has done from "Early Morning Rain", to "Uncle Toad Said"?
Hopefully one day someone more ambitious than me will carry out this project.

In the meantime,
All the best Lightheads,
James Hill
james hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 10:27 PM   #3
mytoyota@earthlink.net

I hear you.
I've often wished for something along the same lines.
Like seeing him on "Biography" or something similar.
Until a few years ago I wondered why I never heard him on the radio, his name in compilations where he would fit right in or hear about his concerts rather than finding them on the internet. I came to the conclusion that he has a hand in this and it must be that he is comfortable with the way things stand.
Why, you may ask, I don't know.
I was so surprised to see a commercial for his greatest hits and then the Gateway commercial with Sundown.
Will there be more to come in the US?
Canada certainly makes sure he knows he is apreciated.
Good topic.
Kim

------------------
paperback dreams . . .
mytoyota@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 05:39 AM   #4
SilverHeels

Good thinking, James
If only it would happen - maybe one day.
I like the way you think, Mr. Hill.
Looking forward to meeting you in November.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 01:33 PM   #5
BossMan

I think an analysis/compilation would be brilliant!

Did you mean a lyrical analysis, musical analysis, or both?

One of the things I like most about his music is his songwriting, imagery, and the way his words make me think. I was thinking that it would be really neat to use this forum to post ideas about each of his albums, then if anyone could get Gord himself to have some comments, that would be the best! that would be my dream.....

Any takers? and thanx to the original poster- excellent idea!
BossMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 01:33 PM   #6
MinstrelOfTheDawn

I think an analysis/compilation would be brilliant!

Did you mean a lyrical analysis, musical analysis, or both?

One of the things I like most about his music is his songwriting, imagery, and the way his words make me think. I was thinking that it would be really neat to use this forum to post ideas about each of his albums, then if anyone could get Gord himself to have some comments, that would be the best! that would be my dream.....

Any takers? and thanx to the original poster- excellent idea!
MinstrelOfTheDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 02:25 PM   #7
james hill

Hello Minstrel!

Love your name. One of Gordon's finest songs.
In answer to your question, both. I'm serious about this. Lightfoot deserves much better than what's been written about him so far. I'd like to see what a true musicologist's interpretations would be of his whole body of work. Don't mean to sound stuffy about it, but his music is sadly overlooked & underrated.
anyways, hope to see you & all the other members in November!

All the best!

James Hill
Old 07-07-2002, 02:33 PM   #8
james hill

Hi Silverheels!

Likewise! I'll see you in November! I don't know if i'll be sitting with the rest of you, but hopefully we'll meet up!

"Old Dan's Records" rolls into the Toronto c.d. shops this coming tues. No word yet on "Dream Street Rose". Oh well, one is better than nothing!

Take care!
James Hill
Old 07-07-2002, 02:45 PM   #9
james hill

Hi Kim,

You're probably right. Maynard Collins's book wasn't very in-depth musically. Alfrieda's was closer to the mark, but went pretty much unnoticed. Gordon most likely has distanced himself from too much scrutiny in print, & instead given us "Songbook". The Final Four wraps it all up nicely.
However, I'm not giving up on my book idea. Hopefully, someone out there will pick up on the idea, too.

Thanks for responding, Kim!
Probably see you in Nov. James Hill
Old 07-07-2002, 02:57 PM   #10
james hill

Hello Watchman!

I agree that Gordon most likely wouldn't partake in such a book. What i would like to see, however, is someone with a good hold on what Gord's music is about do a comprehensive study on his work in general. True enough, we all have our own interpretations of his songs, or maybe i'm just too much of a fan. I say bring the book on!

James Hill
Old 07-07-2002, 05:01 PM   #11
joveski

not to be a party pooper but i don't see it happening (even though i'd love it for to happen).
there were some liner notes in songbook but i don't see anything further. he's like bob dylan, who never has given anything away apart from saying "the songs speak for themselves"
another thing to consider is will it actually sell?. sure, the fans like us will buy the day it comes out, but the general public?.
it's just like the new CDs that have come out. fans are happy and bought them as soon as they were released, but they didn't burn up the charts.
i think it's best for us to draw our own conclusions on the songs!

mende
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 06:13 PM   #12
james hill

You're all right!

In lieu of a thorough discography, I think the next best thing would be to see all of you at the convention & just have a good old gabfest & see what our own thoughts are!

Can't wait for November!!!
James Hill
Old 07-07-2002, 09:48 PM   #13
Jayne

I'd like to see Gord on something like VH1's Storytellers. MAYBE a Behind The Music. And hey, I wouldn't have bet that he'd have given as much away in Songbook as he did, so who knows?

Great Topic!
Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 09:48 PM   #14
Old Dan

I'd like to see Gord on something like VH1's Storytellers. MAYBE a Behind The Music. And hey, I wouldn't have bet that he'd have given as much away in Songbook as he did, so who knows?

Great Topic!
Old Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 06:36 AM   #15
Brian 57

As far as Gordon's contribution to telling his own story, look at the lyrics of "A Painter Passing Through" especially "If you want to know my secret don't come runnin' after me, For I am just a painter passing through in history". In these days of self-promotion passing as talent, I think Gord is one of those who are the exception. He truly deserves to be called an artist because he wants you to look not at him, but at the the work he created and left behind for you. I'm curious to know what makes him tick as a songwriter, but then it would be like finding out how a magician does his illusions. They never are as special once you know how they're done.
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:33 AM   #16
2Much2Lose

Great topic! I agree with the sentiment that while I would love to know what inspired a song, or what it is "about", I also agree that sometimes we are just better off not knowing. What images a song might conjure up for me, are no doubt different than what they might mean to someone else.

I once raised the theory that Bitter Green was about a dog, and I probably ruined it for a number of people! While I suggested it mainly in jest, if you listen to the lyrics and think about it, it could work. Most of us have an image of a young maiden, now there's a whole group of people that can't shake the image of a collie! Imagine that with other songs.

I think the true beauty of these songs, and what makes them so personal and meaningful is what they mean to each of us. A song can mean one thing for years, or even nothing, then when something happens in your life, it has new meaning. IYCRMM had one meaning when I was 14, but didn't really mean as much as it did when I became older and really realized the depth of it. The Wreck was an interesting song to me until I saw the documentary on the Fitzgerald, then it had a whole new power.
I know I would be disappointed if I found the inspiration for a phrase or a song was something like the back of a cereal box.That said, I would love to see one of the TV biographys about Lightfoot. I doubt we ever will see it either though.
Jenney
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:33 AM   #17
Jenney

Great topic! I agree with the sentiment that while I would love to know what inspired a song, or what it is "about", I also agree that sometimes we are just better off not knowing. What images a song might conjure up for me, are no doubt different than what they might mean to someone else.

I once raised the theory that Bitter Green was about a dog, and I probably ruined it for a number of people! While I suggested it mainly in jest, if you listen to the lyrics and think about it, it could work. Most of us have an image of a young maiden, now there's a whole group of people that can't shake the image of a collie! Imagine that with other songs.

I think the true beauty of these songs, and what makes them so personal and meaningful is what they mean to each of us. A song can mean one thing for years, or even nothing, then when something happens in your life, it has new meaning. IYCRMM had one meaning when I was 14, but didn't really mean as much as it did when I became older and really realized the depth of it. The Wreck was an interesting song to me until I saw the documentary on the Fitzgerald, then it had a whole new power.
I know I would be disappointed if I found the inspiration for a phrase or a song was something like the back of a cereal box.That said, I would love to see one of the TV biographys about Lightfoot. I doubt we ever will see it either though.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:12 AM   #18
lightbunny

i think it is best said, "If You Could Read My Mind".

as Jenny, my mind and especially my heart is filled the stories and visions of Gordon in my own context. i've read the technical stuff on dylan and others, but as Gordon writes, the effect on me is tenfold of any other writer. i wouldn't want to be jaded by a third-party analysis of why he may have written something the way he did.

the meer fact that he contemplates such a simple line as "All the lovely ladies in their finery tonight" and then delivers one of the most beautiful songs written is enough for me.

i've listened to GL for thirty years now. and of all the great writers and musicians that have come and gone, Gordon is the only one that i listen to each and everyday. i personally don't need an analysis of what i love. <g>
lightbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:12 AM   #19
ambrose woodfellow

i think it is best said, "If You Could Read My Mind".

as Jenny, my mind and especially my heart is filled the stories and visions of Gordon in my own context. i've read the technical stuff on dylan and others, but as Gordon writes, the effect on me is tenfold of any other writer. i wouldn't want to be jaded by a third-party analysis of why he may have written something the way he did.

the meer fact that he contemplates such a simple line as "All the lovely ladies in their finery tonight" and then delivers one of the most beautiful songs written is enough for me.

i've listened to GL for thirty years now. and of all the great writers and musicians that have come and gone, Gordon is the only one that i listen to each and everyday. i personally don't need an analysis of what i love. <g>
ambrose woodfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:44 PM   #20
Brian 57

Great songwriting is like old-time radio shows-- it's "Theater of the mind".
Old 07-08-2002, 08:00 PM   #21
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Well Jenney, I don`t agree with your dog theory. The part that really ruins the theory is in the second verse:
Some say he was a sailor who died away at sea
Some say he was a prisoner who never was set free
Lost upon the ocean he died there in the mist
Dreaming of her kiss.

Now, I know some of us are really attached to our pets, but not to the extent where kissing them would be our last dying wish.

However, I still think Daylight Katy is a cat!

She lives nine lives in her midnight world
While her old man's fast asleep
And she doesn't have to get up in the mornin'
With her hair so soft and long...

Cathy

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:23 PM   #22
Brian 57

Cathy and Watchman,
Let's just call her a resident of a cathouse, and you can both be right.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:53 AM   #23
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Of course Daylight Katy is a cat. Shirley's cat!

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL web site at gordonlightfoot.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:53 AM   #24
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Of course Daylight Katy is a cat. Shirley's cat!

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL web site at gordonlightfoot.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 11:47 AM   #25
james hill

Daylight Kitty?

James Hill