banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
gregnkw

In the song Nous Vivons Ensemble: "You and I, Were asleep in the rock of ages"
and in the song Mister Rock Of Ages, what exactly is he talking about when he says "Rock Of Ages"? What is a rock of ages is what I'm trying to ask.
gregnkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
Harmony

In the song Nous Vivons Ensemble: "You and I, Were asleep in the rock of ages"
and in the song Mister Rock Of Ages, what exactly is he talking about when he says "Rock Of Ages"? What is a rock of ages is what I'm trying to ask.
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Janie

I'm not sure exactely what "rock of ages" means to Gord....but for many years I had misinterperted that line to be "rocking pages", as in "asleep in the rocking pages". This is very logical, as well as very metaphorical and very deep; if Gord ever reads this and decides to use my misinterpertation instead...he has my permission to use it...no charge.
(Although a free concert ticket from Barry would be nice.)
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
hkusam

I'm not sure exactely what "rock of ages" means to Gord....but for many years I had misinterperted that line to be "rocking pages", as in "asleep in the rocking pages". This is very logical, as well as very metaphorical and very deep; if Gord ever reads this and decides to use my misinterpertation instead...he has my permission to use it...no charge.
(Although a free concert ticket from Barry would be nice.)
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

To me, rock of ages means God. There's a song we (Jews) sing every Chanukkah (Erika, help me out here...) called Rock of Ages... and we're singing (praying) to God... so, I assumed that's who Gord meant...
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

I think Sheryl's right. Here, from Isaiah:

"Whatever we trust to the world for, it will be but for a moment: all we expect from it is confined within the limits of time. But what we trust in God for will last as long as we shall last. For in the Lord Jehovah-Jah, Jehovah, in him who was, and is, and is to come, there is a rock of ages, a firm and lasting foundation for faith and hope to build upon; and the house built on that rock will stand in a storm."

With this in mind, "Mister Rock of Ages" reads like a casual, talking to God prayer:

Mister Rock of Ages you got time on your hands
Got no worries, got no plans
Bless my soul now you're doin' fine
You ain't got no axe to grind
Rock of Ages tell me where does it stand
Are we bound for the promised land
Bless my soul, I ain't ready to die
And my future is in your hands

Mister Rock of Ages you've been goin' on strong
Since time began, til time is done
And so the tide shall run

Mister Rock of Ages tell me what do you see
Are we bound for eternity
Bless my soul, baby you're doin' fine

Rock of Ages you've got nothing to hide
Got no ego, got no pride
Bless my soul, let me do what I can
For my future is in your hands

Mister Rock of Ages, the lord of my lease
In times of toil and times of peace
Until my song shall cease

Mister Rock of Ages, I'm a part of you now
I am yours, you belong to be
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
Auburn Annie

I think Sheryl's right. Here, from Isaiah:

"Whatever we trust to the world for, it will be but for a moment: all we expect from it is confined within the limits of time. But what we trust in God for will last as long as we shall last. For in the Lord Jehovah-Jah, Jehovah, in him who was, and is, and is to come, there is a rock of ages, a firm and lasting foundation for faith and hope to build upon; and the house built on that rock will stand in a storm."

With this in mind, "Mister Rock of Ages" reads like a casual, talking to God prayer:

Mister Rock of Ages you got time on your hands
Got no worries, got no plans
Bless my soul now you're doin' fine
Rock of Ages tell me where does it stand
Are we bound for the promised land
Bless my soul, I ain't ready to die
And my future is in your hands

Mister Rock of Ages you've been goin' on strong
Since time began, til time is done
And so the tide shall run

Mister Rock of Ages tell me what do you see
Are we bound for eternity
Bless my soul, baby you're doin' fine

Rock of Ages you've got nothing to hide
Got no ego, got no pride

Mister Rock of Ages, the lord of my lease
In times of toil and times of peace
Until my song shall cease

Mister Rock of Ages, I'm a part of you now
I am yours, you belong to be
Old 06-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
Don Quixote

Sheryl and Annie, you've both nailed it. Let me also add that the "Rock of Ages" that GL talks about also is likely the Protestant image of Jesus (building on, not negating, the original Jewish scripture that Sheryl cited). One of the best-known hymns to many Protestants is "Rock of Ages"; the first verse goes like this:

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in thee.
Let the water and the blood
From thy wounded side which flowed
Be of sin the double cure:
Save from wrath and make me pure.

If you're interested, it's easy to look up the rest of the verses. I agree with Annie that it's sort of an informal conversation with the deity, perhaps a mid-life contemplation (he would have been just over 40 when he wrote it) examining the nature of God (got no ego, got no pride, etc.), salvation (are we bound for the promised land? are we bound for eternity?), and the giving over of oneself (I am yours, you belong to me...let me do what I can, for my future is in your hands...). It's a song that's been on my mind lately, took awhile to grow on me, but I really like it now.
Best wishes,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:58 AM   #9
bjorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl:
To me, rock of ages means God. There's a song we (Jews) sing every Chanukkah (Erika, help me out here...) called Rock of Ages... and we're singing (praying) to God... so, I assumed that's who Gord meant...
Yes Sheryl. Rock of Ages does refer to G-d. I assume when GL says "you and I were asleep in the rock of ages", he's saying that we were nascent,existing as part of G-d's creation, even before we were born or had consciousness. The song has other biblical references and methaphors, like the line about setting the lamb to die, which has several scriptural meanings for us Jews and for Christians as well.
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
Auburn Annie

"Q: Often when reading religious articles on Beliefnet or other websites, I see "G-d" used instead of "God." Why is this? It seems disrespectful.

This is a good question, one that may come up more often in multifaith circles. For some (but not all) Jews, it's actually a sign of respect not to write God's name in full. The concern is that the word may be written on something that will later be thrown away or otherwise destroyed. For example, you might print out a copy of an article that mentions God, but later toss it in the trash along with old coffee grounds. Not exactly a place redolent of majesty."

www.beliefnet.com/story/135/story_13547_1.html
Old 06-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

"Q: Often when reading religious articles on Beliefnet or other websites, I see "G-d" used instead of "God." Why is this? It seems disrespectful.

This is a good question, one that may come up more often in multifaith circles. For some (but not all) Jews, it's actually a sign of respect not to write God's name in full. The concern is that the word may be written on something that will later be thrown away or otherwise destroyed. For example, you might print out a copy of an article that mentions God, but later toss it in the trash along with old coffee grounds. Not exactly a place redolent of majesty."

Old 06-29-2005, 06:07 AM   #12
bjorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:

This is correct Annie. This is something we did in Hebrew school and while I'm not remotely the best Jew in the world, probably not even a very good one, and I don't claim a scintilla of piousness, writing His name this way is just my own little way of showing reverence. It's not better or worse than anyone else's way, just my personal preference.
Erica
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:07 AM   #13
Sundreme

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:

This is correct Annie. This is something we did in Hebrew school and while I'm not remotely the best Jew in the world, probably not even a very good one, and I don't claim a scintilla of piousness, writing His name this way is just my own little way of showing reverence. It's not better or worse than anyone else's way, just my personal preference.
Erica
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #14
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Annie, my kids went to a Jewish day school and they were taught to write G-d's name like that -- we were taught it is disrespectful to write it out fully.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 AM   #15
davie

Sundreme, hmm. I remember when you started using that moniker in a chat room Erica. Long ago, in a far far away place
davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 AM   #16
random7

Sundreme, hmm. I remember when you started using that moniker in a chat room Erica. Long ago, in a far far away place
Old 07-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #17
Tyler

Quote:
Originally posted by random7:
hmmm Random 7 I seem to remember that moniker from a far away place a long time ago - gee where have you been keeping youself Rik?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #18
brink

Quote:
Originally posted by random7:
hmmm Random 7 I seem to remember that moniker from a far away place a long time ago - gee where have you been keeping youself Rik?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #19
davie

Well Brink, put it this way, I am in between learning how to deal with a 2 year old with a night terror 30 minute scream session in a campground, and trying to keep from buying stock in the little pink pill company...
davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #20
random7

Well Brink, put it this way, I am in between learning how to deal with a 2 year old with a night terror 30 minute scream session in a campground, and trying to keep from buying stock in the little pink pill company...