banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Son of a Fan

Default Information/ Favor

Hello,
I am new to this forum. My name is Joshua, I am a special needs teacher. My father is a huge fan of Gordon Lightfoot. My father has dedicated his life to my brother and sister and I. A couple years ago he sold his favorite guitar to aid in money's for my siblings schooling. My father was a country/ folk singer back in his younger days but plays Lightfoot continuously to this day.

What I am asking is extreme, but if someone would be willing to point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful.

I would like to try to do one of two things:

1.) Get a signed guitar by Gordon Lightfoot for my father's 60th birthday

2.) An opportunity for my father to meet Gordon Lightfoot and maybe get a signed picture.

I realize that there are thousands of fans who would ask this...I can honestly say that I can back everything mentioned above and then some.
I can't think of better way to pay my father back for his life long commitment to his kids...

Please, if anyone can help me start this process, I would be so grateful..

Thanks,
Son of a Fan
Son of a Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Kathy Number Four

Default Re: Information/ Favor

Well, I would certainly be willing to chip in a few dollars towards a guitar along with other Corfidians. And I would be willing to have Gordon sign it, as I plan to go to as many concerts as I'm able to in 2008.... and if not me, then SOMEBODY would be able to! Where do you live?? (so that we could find a way to get it to you).

I'm currently in the process of designing a patch for "GordQuest 2008", which I had planned to offer to any Corfidian who wanted one, for just a SASE (will post a pic when it's done). But what do the rest of you think of contributing a couple of bucks in return for the patch, which would go to buying a guitar for this young man's father??
Old 10-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
gwen snyder

In September, after the Indianapolis, IN concert, 2 young men were waiting for Gord and rest of band to come out to chat (there was getting quite a brisk chilly wind started blowing). We wanted to wait in the outside, fall... I mentioned to the young guys that Gord was still inside with the band and a mob of people and they should try to get in there and get the signatures. So they went up and knocked on the door and the guy who always drags my husband up to Gord to meet him (his PR guy... I think I read his name a number of times here) let them in and they got the whole band to sign their guitars (Martin 000's?).
That could be the way to get the signatures. Those 2 guys were talking about Massey in the Spring, also.
Just my musings... we didn't stay long after that, we thought Gord ought not be out in that breeze long (us either), so we split.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Kathy Number Four

Dear Joshua,

Please tell us where you live... maybe some of us could arrange to meet you and your Dad at one of the concerts.

Last edited by Kathy Number Four; 10-08-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Kathy Number Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
The Rez

Joshua,

As the middle of My Three Sons is also a *Joshua* [36 yrs of old] please allow me to join in w/ Kathy [#4] in helping you achieve The Gift.

Peradventure, where *do* you live - and *when* is Papa's 60th?

Bless Your Heart,

Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Son of a Fan

Touched,
I am so impressed that there are stilll wonderful people out there who still care.

I live near Harrisburg, PA. My father's birthday is September 15th, 2008. We still have plenty of time but I figured it might be necessary for a task like this one.

I hate to say this, but I am not very knowledged in guitars, what would be one that mean alot...I believe I heard him mention Martins before. That would be a good starting place.

Please let me know what the next step would be, I am all ears. As one mentioned earlier, is it possible for Gordon to hear about this request and help us?

Let me know..and again..thanks so much...I am truly thankful.

Joshua
Old 10-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
Son of a Fan

Hello Everyone,
I didn't know if anyone in their busy schedules had time to give me any additional advice regarding this project...I am thankful for those who have responded...Please let me hear your ideas on how to make this think come together...

Josh
Old 10-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Fan View Post
Hello Everyone,
I didn't know if anyone in their busy schedules had time to give me any additional advice regarding this project...I am thankful for those who have responded...Please let me hear your ideas on how to make this think come together...

Josh
We just need more information.....are you going to try for a guitar that your dad would play or one for him to just have signed and keep it for the memories? We need to find out what the schedule is going to be for 2008 and see if he is coming anywhere near you. I don't think it is going to be a problem getting the guitar signed if you can get your dad to a concert, hopefully one close to where you live.

Last edited by brink-; 10-24-2007 at 12:16 AM.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Son of a Fan

A couple questions..
My father likes to play...so would it be better for him to get to a concert and get a signed picture with Gordan Lightfoot?

What is the possibilty that Gordon would provide one of his previous guitars and have it signed?

Again,
I am just trying to see my options..travel is not too much of a problem..

My ultimate quest would be:
#1 My dad get to meet Gordan @ a concert and get a picture with him
along with Gordan providing a signed guitar?

This may not be realistic but I would sure love to try..

Did you recieve my information you requested on the Private message Forum?

Josh
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
brink-

I seriously doubt that Gord would give up any guitars. He has three boys that play and they usually hook up on the unused ones.

I am betting that there would be no problem with your dad meeting Gord, and getting a picture with him. He could bring along anything to get an autograph. Just need to let Big Barry know before the concert.

It is a great dream that you have.....but I wouldn't count on an actual Gord guitar. The rest very feasible.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
charlene

It's a pretty safe bet that Gord won't be giving up any of his guitars. He also has a 13 year old daughter that's musically inclined.
Getting a pic of him and your dad together would be a lot easier.
You could also write to Gord and ask for a picture of him to be signed (personalized for your dad) and sent to you..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
Son of a Fan

Ok,
So what I think I will try to do (with some help)...
#1-Take my father to the concert..and if someone can help me out...set up a time for Gordon and my father to meet for a picture and short conversation..I wouldn't know where to begin as far as setting that up but I will do whatever is needed..

#2-Could some give me Gordon's address so that I could write him for the signed picture?

We will be purchasing a guitar for my father...he can choose whether or not he wants to get it signed...

Speaking of that...what is a good guitar to look at buying and what is the ballpark price for one?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
brink-

Gordon Lightfoot
c/o Early Morning Productions
1365 Yonge St. #207
Toronto, ON M4T 2P7
Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Fan View Post
Ok,
Speaking of that...what is a good guitar to look at buying and what is the ballpark price for one?
Talk about opening a can of worms ...

Since your Dad mentioned Martin, you'd be well advised to get him one. You can get an all wood Martin for around $1000/$1100 list, which means $700 to $800 or so with the "usual" discounts. I'd suggest a D-15, if he likes dreadnaughts, or one of the smaller 15s (maybe the triple 0?) if he prefers a smaller body. There are cheaper Martins, but they aren't wood, and your Dad will probably hear the difference, although some of them are nice enough.

Yes, you can investigate a few dozen other makes, and there are many that make nice moderately priced acoustic guitars (and who also make not so moderately priced guitars, as does Martin), but I think a -15, or -16 Martin would be your safest bet. Unless you win the lottery, of course.

Lightfoot plays a D-18, but that runs a bit more. Something like $2199 list.

And throw in a Shubb capo too.

Now you will get 50 posts recommending other guitars, and twice as many recommending other capos. I can send you to some guitar forums too, if you'd like 1000 more replies!
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
2Much2Lose

Just some thoughts for Son of a Fan --

Gord is generally very accessible after concerts unless he is exhausted, usually at the end of a tour segment. He will sign guitars and photos willingly, and he will pose for photos with fans who want a picture together.

If you sent him a letter to the address Val provided (or better yet, with a copy of the letter to his manager Barry Harvey), and let him know what concert(s) your Dad will attend, you might even request a backstage pass for after the concert. Such requests are often honored, particularly in circumstances such as yours. Your Dad could meet the whole band.

It's a wonderful idea for your Dad. Gord did several concerts in PA this spring -- Philly, Williamsport (I think), Wilkes-Barre (which I attended), and he generally passes through an area every 18 months or so, health permitting. If you really want to thrill Dad, maybe you can get him some tix for one or two concerts at Massey Hall in Toronto this upcoming May (2008). Gord's concerts in Toronto are really super, and your Dad can bring and play his guitar and meet all the Lightfoot "web people", who generally assemble and stay at the Delta Chelsea hotel, easy walking distance to Massey Hall.

Good luck,

David