banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #1
on-susan's-floor

I am undoubtedly the oldest person who has joined this group--but I'm very young for my age!
Just a week ago my one and only brother took his journey across to the other side. He was a precious person, disabled from birth. I'm happy for him now that he is free from his struggles here in this life. I just want to say how comforting it is now to listen to Gordon's beautiful voice--so soft, so strong--well, there are no words good enough to say what Gordon and his songs mean to me, especially right now when I'm hurting.

The other subject I want to bring up is the memories many of you have of meeting Gordon and actually conversing with him. I saw him in concert at the Universal Ampitheater--was it '79? But I was all engrossed in my quite new husband at the time--and I sat there just enjoying the music and having my first contact with pot smokers!
I would revel in any descriptions any of you wish to offer of your contacts with the great Gordon Lightfoot. How did he look? What did you talk about with him? What about him impressed you the most? Thank you. Brave Soul.
on-susan's-floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Brave Soul

I am undoubtedly the oldest person who has joined this group--but I'm very young for my age!
Just a week ago my one and only brother took his journey across to the other side. He was a precious person, disabled from birth. I'm happy for him now that he is free from his struggles here in this life. I just want to say how comforting it is now to listen to Gordon's beautiful voice--so soft, so strong--well, there are no words good enough to say what Gordon and his songs mean to me, especially right now when I'm hurting.

The other subject I want to bring up is the memories many of you have of meeting Gordon and actually conversing with him. I saw him in concert at the Universal Ampitheater--was it '79? But I was all engrossed in my quite new husband at the time--and I sat there just enjoying the music and having my first contact with pot smokers!
I would revel in any descriptions any of you wish to offer of your contacts with the great Gordon Lightfoot. How did he look? What did you talk about with him? What about him impressed you the most? Thank you. Brave Soul.
Brave Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
Sundown17

Dear Brave Soul,

My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your brother. You are right in thinking that he is free from his earthly struggles. Take comfort in that. And in the music of Gordon Lightfoot. His voice is like a warm elixir that will soothe the aching heart and soul.

I have been a fan since the 70's, but had not the pleasure of meeting him til the spring of 2000. Although some people mistake is wiry appearance on stage to age and ill health, there is nothing unhealthy (present situation nothwithstanding) or old about him. Up close he is strong and vibrant with a twinkle in his eye and a quiet joy in his voice when talking to any fan. He is humble without being shy. He gives you the feeling that he is just as thrilled to meet you as you are him. You walk away thinking that you just spoken with an old friend. (And with the hope that he will tour again...I refuse to use past tense. )

Through the kindness and generousity of friends, I have been in his company after 3 concerts now and cherish each one. I couldn't even begin to remember every detail of his conversations, but the jist of one was how the selections on his lastest greatest hits cd were chosen. He wished that his schedule had allowed him to be more available when it was compiled as he would have made some alternate selections. When I asked what in particular would he have changed, he answered that he would have to show me his list. (I almost asked if I could be "on it for tonight" LOL.) Just like I was some friend he ran into every day and tomorrow he would bring his list to show me. But he did say that "Restless" had been included at his request and I thanked him for that. At another concert he came out talking to the group of us about his two youngest children. I assume because he probably had just spoken to them on the phone to say goodnight. Commenting on how interesting it was to be parenting a 7 and 12 year old. I believe this concert was the first or second one out after his usual winter break. He talked about how he wasn't looking forward to the 12 year old son discovering girls and experiencing heartbreaks. I chimed in with "and writing songs about it". He gave me a knowing smile. He will talk about anything you want. From past concerts to other performers to his family (in a very generic way) to you and your family to world events.

After one of these concerts, I happened to have been lucky enough to book myself in the same hotel where he and crew were staying. I think that the image that will stay with me forever is the one when where as I was walking through the elongated lobby and he was coming the other way. Alone and so unassuming. Wearing his signature softly distressed leather jacket, a light wool scarf casually wrapped around his neck (presumably to protect his golden voice from the cool spring evening air) walking with the elegance of a painter passing through.

It is a lifetime thrill for any fan to meet Gord in person. When he gets back out on the road, do what you can to have this happen to you, Brave Soul. And welcome to the group, but I think you would be surprised at the range of ages here and not feel so senior!

Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 04:23 PM   #4
MotherofaMinersChild

Dear Brave Soul,

My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your brother. You are right in thinking that he is free from his earthly struggles. Take comfort in that. And in the music of Gordon Lightfoot. His voice is like a warm elixir that will soothe the aching heart and soul.

I have been a fan since the 70's, but had not the pleasure of meeting him til the spring of 2000. Although some people mistake is wiry appearance on stage to age and ill health, there is nothing unhealthy (present situation nothwithstanding) or old about him. Up close he is strong and vibrant with a twinkle in his eye and a quiet joy in his voice when talking to any fan. He is humble without being shy. He gives you the feeling that he is just as thrilled to meet you as you are him. You walk away thinking that you just spoken with an old friend. (And with the hope that he will tour again...I refuse to use past tense. )

Through the kindness and generousity of friends, I have been in his company after 3 concerts now and cherish each one. I couldn't even begin to remember every detail of his conversations, but the jist of one was how the selections on his lastest greatest hits cd were chosen. He wished that his schedule had allowed him to be more available when it was compiled as he would have made some alternate selections. When I asked what in particular would he have changed, he answered that he would have to show me his list. (I almost asked if I could be "on it for tonight" LOL.) Just like I was some friend he ran into every day and tomorrow he would bring his list to show me. But he did say that "Restless" had been included at his request and I thanked him for that. At another concert he came out talking to the group of us about his two youngest children. I assume because he probably had just spoken to them on the phone to say goodnight. Commenting on how interesting it was to be parenting a 7 and 12 year old. I believe this concert was the first or second one out after his usual winter break. He talked about how he wasn't looking forward to the 12 year old son discovering girls and experiencing heartbreaks. I chimed in with "and writing songs about it". He gave me a knowing smile. He will talk about anything you want. From past concerts to other performers to his family (in a very generic way) to you and your family to world events.

After one of these concerts, I happened to have been lucky enough to book myself in the same hotel where he and crew were staying. I think that the image that will stay with me forever is the one when where as I was walking through the elongated lobby and he was coming the other way. Alone and so unassuming. Wearing his signature softly distressed leather jacket, a light wool scarf casually wrapped around his neck (presumably to protect his golden voice from the cool spring evening air) walking with the elegance of a painter passing through.

It is a lifetime thrill for any fan to meet Gord in person. When he gets back out on the road, do what you can to have this happen to you, Brave Soul. And welcome to the group, but I think you would be surprised at the range of ages here and not feel so senior!

MotherofaMinersChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #5
Tyler

I agree that meeting Gord is like meeting an old friend. He just is so unassuming and gracious (sp?). I think he knows too, like we do that GL fans are nice and will not be annoying to him. I also think that he has gotten much more approachable than he used to be. He talked to me about Hockey. He just is genuinely nice. It does take a bit for him to come out the back or side entrance after the show, but he comes out and greets everyone happily. Just be patient. See him nest year when he comes back you will never regret it.
So sorry about your brother, GL is great to pull you out of being sad, I also doubt if you are the oldest person to come on the board.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #6
brink

I agree that meeting Gord is like meeting an old friend. He just is so unassuming and gracious (sp?). I think he knows too, like we do that GL fans are nice and will not be annoying to him. I also think that he has gotten much more approachable than he used to be. He talked to me about Hockey. He just is genuinely nice. It does take a bit for him to come out the back or side entrance after the show, but he comes out and greets everyone happily. Just be patient. See him nest year when he comes back you will never regret it.
So sorry about your brother, GL is great to pull you out of being sad, I also doubt if you are the oldest person to come on the board.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 07:10 PM   #7
Borderstone

Brave Soul,I console you on your loss and may you be cheerful in due time. Yes,I met Gordon Lightfoot. Since your new,you haven't heard this before,obviously. It was Tuesday, August 6th,2002 at Dodge Theatre here in Phoenix that I got to see him live. It was a cool,laid back show (so laid back the audience was afraid to clap along to,"Cotton Jenny"). Gord played his 1st set of 10 or 11 songs,took a break,then played his 2nd set. During the 1st set I was in row 10 and could kind of see him but during set 2 I moved up to the 2nd row and it made all the difference! He talked about writing a song for Michael Douglases 1st film Hail Hero,a different song that is. He didn't mention the title but I shouted it out and he said back,"You got it man!" After the show,myself and about 30 more audience members gathered on the west side of the theatre to wait for him and the band to come out. Being a week-night I'm sure there could have been more were it Friday. Anyhow,after 45 minutes GL & the band finally came out and all but one of them signed our paraphenallia. I don't recall who but I'm glad it wasn't Gordon! When he got to me I told him my name and what I'd like him to write and I also told him I've been listening to his music since I was 6. (More in the past 2 years than before.) He finished signing,thanked me for listening for so long and shook hands with me and before he could go I gave him a pat on the shoulder and said,"God bless you,sir". I believe he thanked me for that too,being such an exciting moment I can't recall if he did or not. Doesn't matter,I know he heard me. After the rest got done,the band boarded the tour bus and Gord got into a plain and simple tan car. A nice modern tan car driven by someone. I watched the car go down the street there in downtown Phoenix until it turned off to another street. I've met a few famous people before but he's the most famous person I've ever met. Not to mention that he's the only artist with a #1 hit to his credit. After that night,I went and started buying all his records (and or CD's/Tapes). That's something you never forget as long as long is. I sent him a get well card that Sept. & I'm sure he's read it by now and I hope it cheered him up. Well,it's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

------------------
Borderstone

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited May 17, 2003).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:33 AM   #8
Gord

The last time I met Gordon Lightfoot was just after Songbook came out. He was performing here in Brantford just 3 blocks away from my house ( how lucky) I had met him 2 times prior to this. Anyway during our conversation I said to him there is one song among the 18 previously unreleased that I felt should have been a big hit for him cuz I can't get the tune out of my head. He said which one is that? I said Keeping on Yearning. He discussed his father and the fact his dad was in fact born in Paris Ont, which is just 10 min west of Brantford. I guess if fate had been different Gord Lightfoot may have been born in Brantford instead of Orillia. Next thing I know Terry comes out and tells all 5 of us standing outside we were all welcome to come in and help ourselves to the food and the beer. Oddly enough Terry has a deep booming voice like Darth Vader.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:33 AM   #9
Gord

The last time I met Gordon Lightfoot was just after Songbook came out. He was performing here in Brantford just 3 blocks away from my house ( how lucky) I had met him 2 times prior to this. Anyway during our conversation I said to him there is one song among the 18 previously unreleased that I felt should have been a big hit for him cuz I can't get the tune out of my head. He said which one is that? I said Keeping on Yearning. He discussed his father and the fact his dad was in fact born in Paris Ont, which is just 10 min west of Brantford. I guess if fate had been different Gord Lightfoot may have been born in Brantford instead of Orillia. Next thing I know Terry comes out and tells all 5 of us standing outside we were all welcome to come in and help ourselves to the food and the beer. Oddly enough Terry has a deep booming voice like Darth Vader.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:17 PM   #10
Borderstone

Gord,do you still get to write back & forth or talk on the phone or anything?

------------------
Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:07 AM   #11
DMD3

I've never met him, but I'd like to. I may not ever get to meet him but it am nice reading your descriptions on what it is like to meet him.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:07 AM   #12
DMD3

I've never met him, but I'd like to. I may not ever get to meet him but it am nice reading your descriptions on what it is like to meet him.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #13
Gord

The Sanderson Centre for the Performing Arts is on Dalhousie St in Brantford but the backstage door is on Darling St, which is 3 blocks away from my house. No I don't have Gord's phone number and no I have never written to him. Just that when he does come to Brantford I don't have far to go LOL.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #14
Gord

The Sanderson Centre for the Performing Arts is on Dalhousie St in Brantford but the backstage door is on Darling St, which is 3 blocks away from my house. No I don't have Gord's phone number and no I have never written to him. Just that when he does come to Brantford I don't have far to go LOL.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:19 PM   #15
on-susan's-floor

I want to thank all of you who responded to my request for stories about personal meetings with Gordon. (Especially you, Mother Of a Miners Child: your words were so caring and comforting).

If anyone else wants to describe their meetings with GL, please do so. If I were in your place I'd be bragging about it!
on-susan's-floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:19 PM   #16
Brave Soul

I want to thank all of you who responded to my request for stories about personal meetings with Gordon. (Especially you, Mother Of a Miners Child: your words were so caring and comforting).

If anyone else wants to describe their meetings with GL, please do so. If I were in your place I'd be bragging about it!
Brave Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 05:45 AM   #17
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Brave Soul,

Please accept my condolences for your loss. This is actually a more complex question than it seems. There are quite a few levels of meeting a celebrity you might agree. At his home or office by invitation would be one thing but there is also a big difference in getting "backstage" as many refer to it and "waiting in the alley" outside the show. I'm hoping it is not a moot point but perhaps those who know how to get "backstage" regularly would share it so that more of us might join that club in the future. When you read about how long it takes him to emerge from his shows, in the past, you must figure that a major portion of his time is spent with those that have gotten "backstage", how long does it take to put on a clean shirt? And the longer he spends speaking with those there the less time he has to spend with those outside. Let's hope we all get some friendly pointers before his next show.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 08:16 AM   #18
Sundown17

BILLW,

The only pointer I can give is ask and ask and ask and then ask again. Persevere. Call EMP and ask how to go about getting on the backstage pass list. If that doesn't work, then go to the concert early, look for Barry Harvey, he often roams around the theater pre-concert, and ask him. Sometimes the band hangs outside by the backstage door per-concert for their last smoke. Strike up a conversation with them. Sometimes they will invite you back but sometimes they don't. I think Barry tells them what nights they can and can't depending on the night, the schedule, the list, etc. Then the last ditch chance is to hang in the theater after the concert is done. Watch where the group of people on the backstage list wait. Mosey on down there. Be prepared to be shooed out by the theater manager, but it's worth the risk when if the group is small enough, Barry will wave you in with the rest. Barry is the key. He's like the bouncer at the door of the exclusive night club.

Very few make it back on their first attempt. Hang in there. Keep trying.

Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 08:16 AM   #19
MotherofaMinersChild

BILLW,

The only pointer I can give is ask and ask and ask and then ask again. Persevere. Call EMP and ask how to go about getting on the backstage pass list. If that doesn't work, then go to the concert early, look for Barry Harvey, he often roams around the theater pre-concert, and ask him. Sometimes the band hangs outside by the backstage door per-concert for their last smoke. Strike up a conversation with them. Sometimes they will invite you back but sometimes they don't. I think Barry tells them what nights they can and can't depending on the night, the schedule, the list, etc. Then the last ditch chance is to hang in the theater after the concert is done. Watch where the group of people on the backstage list wait. Mosey on down there. Be prepared to be shooed out by the theater manager, but it's worth the risk when if the group is small enough, Barry will wave you in with the rest. Barry is the key. He's like the bouncer at the door of the exclusive night club.

Very few make it back on their first attempt. Hang in there. Keep trying.

MotherofaMinersChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 08:22 AM   #20
Gord

Barry is the tall guy with the sandy coloured hair and a moustache....
Old 05-23-2003, 08:22 AM   #21
Gord

Barry is the tall guy with the sandy coloured hair and a moustache....
Old 08-30-2004, 06:50 PM   #22
bjb

It was great to read these stories. I hope to meet Gordon someday too.
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:57 AM   #23
Don Quixote

Brave Soul, please accept my condolences on the passing of your brother. He is in MUCH better hands now, and I hope you can find some comfort in that. I lost my mother on Christmas Eve, and while the wound will always be there, my faith in GOD allows me to breathe every day!
I met Gord in a suburb of Atlanta, called Peachtree City, where he perfomed about five years ago, and actually accepted one of my own CD's before he went on. Through his concert, I would request songs and he would play them! He is a fine fellow, and I am told I will be meeting him again at the Hamilton concert, this fall!
We will all meet again, in another time, where we will all be happy and well!
Warmest regards,
Sean
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:57 AM   #24
searam

Brave Soul, please accept my condolences on the passing of your brother. He is in MUCH better hands now, and I hope you can find some comfort in that. I lost my mother on Christmas Eve, and while the wound will always be there, my faith in GOD allows me to breathe every day!
I met Gord in a suburb of Atlanta, called Peachtree City, where he perfomed about five years ago, and actually accepted one of my own CD's before he went on. Through his concert, I would request songs and he would play them! He is a fine fellow, and I am told I will be meeting him again at the Hamilton concert, this fall!
We will all meet again, in another time, where we will all be happy and well!
Warmest regards,
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote