banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2000, 02:49 AM   #101
Chris M

The Moody Blues

Dan Fogelberg

Enya & sibs Clannad

Restless Heart (even though they broke up
years ago)

The Beach Boys

Lots "British Invasion"

Eric Clapton

Classical waltzes and Beethoven

Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 12:50 PM   #102
fezo

I'd like to introduce a name here which will not mean a thing to our North American buddies but do any of my fellow Brits know
Charlie Lansborough? He recently recorded a fabo cd in Nashville (and happens to be a
dedicated Lightfoot fan.) Really is worth a listen.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 12:50 PM   #103
Silver Heels

I'd like to introduce a name here which will not mean a thing to our North American buddies but do any of my fellow Brits know
Charlie Lansborough? He recently recorded a fabo cd in Nashville (and happens to be a
dedicated Lightfoot fan.) Really is worth a listen.
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2000, 04:27 PM   #104
Chris M

Hello, My Angel In The Night - Char!

Considering recent developments regarding Gord's personal letter to the Moody Blues, I
thought it would be fun to have this topic up at the top again! It's a great topic and I like to see it up there, anyway!

Well, long ago I posted on this thread as
"Philadelphia Kate" and then it was so long ago that I forgot my password & and then
registered again with "midnightmisty" more
recently.

Each time I posted I listed The Moody Blues as my second favorite band. And apparently, I'm in good company! (Gord!) So I'll say it
again - I ALSO LOVE THE MOODY BLUES and
"ENG-l-u-n-d!!!!!!!!!" And can't forget this:
"duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh D-U-H......"
(these are in the background of "English
Sunset" sung by John Lodge) I know some of you have seen this before in my emails! I'm
like Char - an enthusiastic fan!

omg......

midnightmisty aka Kate aka Philadelphia Kate
aka mistybleu (at the JL site)
Old 10-03-2000, 04:27 PM   #105
midnightmisty

Hello, My Angel In The Night - Char!

Considering recent developments regarding Gord's personal letter to the Moody Blues, I
thought it would be fun to have this topic up at the top again! It's a great topic and I like to see it up there, anyway!

Well, long ago I posted on this thread as
"Philadelphia Kate" and then it was so long ago that I forgot my password & and then
registered again with "midnightmisty" more
recently.

Each time I posted I listed The Moody Blues as my second favorite band. And apparently, I'm in good company! (Gord!) So I'll say it
again - I ALSO LOVE THE MOODY BLUES and
"ENG-l-u-n-d!!!!!!!!!" And can't forget this:
"duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh D-U-H......"
(these are in the background of "English
Sunset" sung by John Lodge) I know some of you have seen this before in my emails! I'm
like Char - an enthusiastic fan!

omg......

midnightmisty aka Kate aka Philadelphia Kate
aka mistybleu (at the JL site)
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2000, 05:52 PM   #106
Chris M

Hello My Sweet Angel In The Night - Char!

Well, with Gordon's "fan letter" to the Moody Blues I thought it would be fun to have this topic near the top again! It's
certainly been a very popular one!

I accidently posted on it twice. Once was quite awhile back and then I forgot my password so I registered with my current name.

Both times I listed The Moody Blues as my 2nd
favorite band! I was in good company! Gord's!

It's because of the Moody Blues that some of you (like Silver Heels - UK) gets a few strange comments. "Eng-l-u-n-d!!!!!!!!!!!" &
"duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh d-u-h......"
are part of the background to "English Sunset" to the MB's new CD and sung by bass man John Lodge. His site is my other hangout!

Some from that site have asked how to get here, so I thought we'd have this topic all set to go! LOL!

I had posted my 1st comments under "Philadelphia Kate" and now as my reg.
name "midnightmisty". For the record, I am
"mistybleu" at the John Lodge site.

Just got more info on that letter & will post
some details soon.

midnightmisty
Old 10-03-2000, 05:52 PM   #107
midnightmisty

Well, with Gordon's "fan letter" to the Moody Blues I thought it would be fun to have this topic near the top again! It's

I accidently posted on it twice. Once was quite awhile back and then I forgot my password so I registered with my current name.

It's because of the Moody Blues that some of you (like Silver Heels - UK) gets a few strange comments. "Eng-l-u-n-d!!!!!!!!!!!" &
are part of the background to "English Sunset" to the MB's new CD and sung by bass man John Lodge. His site is my other hangout!

Some from that site have asked how to get here, so I thought we'd have this topic all set to go! LOL!

some details soon.

midnightmisty
Old 10-03-2000, 05:54 PM   #108
Chris M

some details soon.

midnightmisty
Old 10-03-2000, 05:54 PM   #109
midnightmisty

some details soon.

midnightmisty
Old 10-08-2000, 02:18 AM   #110
Annette Hannivan

This could be a long one so please bear with me. I had a musical revelation yesterday. A honest to goodness bolt of lightning type hit me in the head and heart experience. Wow. For 30+ years I have been a devoted fan of singer /songwriters. Of course Gord is my favorite but I've also been a fan of Dylan,Chapin,Donovan,McLean,Cohen,Simon,Taylor,Joh n Stewart,Sebastian,Prine,Denver,Winchester,Kris,Nel son,Cash,Diamond,Fogelberg,Franks,Rankin,Van Morrison----and the ladies, Collins,Mitchell,Emmy,King,Muldaur,Ian,Baez,Nicks, Reddy,Bayer Sager,Simon et al.
But for the last couple of years I've been kind of restless musically and I've had this feeling that I was missing out on something very important. And I was. While reading through this "who else does it for you" I came across the name Stan Rogers and I thought hmmmmm I should check out his music. Somehow I pulled up the Garnet Rogers website and learned that Stan had died in an airplane crash about 17 years ago. The reviews on Garnet Rogers were incredible so I went to "Borders" music and book store to find some of his CDs. Their computer showed nothing by Garnet but they showed about a dozen or so albums by Stan so I went to the bin and looked at all his Cds and I didn't recognize his picture or any of his song titles.I wondered which CD to buy. Should I start at the beginning of his career,the middle or the end. I ended up buying The latest CD, a compilation of songs that were outtakes that never made it on to any of his albums. The CD is called "from coffee house to concert hall" and was released in 1999 by Fogarty's Cove Music.My wife Cindy and I were standing in our kitchen putting away groceries and rearranging our cupboards[getting ready for a long cold winter in Colorado] and I started this new CD---- and after hearing his first words I got chills and the hair on my arms stood straight up.We both stopped and stared at each other with our mouths hanging open and stopped what we were doing and listened to every word and note from this incredible artist.You see we both appreciate good lyrics and melodies but what we really love is the emotion and phrasing and life experience that a singer puts into the song.[Like Gord does] The 10th song is called "Louise's Song" and after the first two lines we were both fighting back tears. This guy put it all together as a singer/songwriter and entertainer. I want to thank whoever put his name up for bringing his music to my attention.I'm mad at myself for not finding his music sooner. Myself being a Canadian expatriot [Stan was Canadian and toured on a bus with Gord and Joni Mitchell] I felt kind of bad for having not kept track of the music of my homeland. Also I'm thinking that if this CD is his music that didn't make it onto any of his albums----then his other dozen or so albums must be very,very good. Also, his brother Garnet's albums will be well worth looking into.I have a feeling that there are a lot of other Stan Rogers fans out there and that I,m the last one to the party.I'll close with the chorus from"Louise's Song"

and oh, there's a burning in your eyes
and the hand you put in mine won't stop trembling.
oh, tell me what you're going through,
'cause all I want to do is be protecting.
No! all the shadows on your face ,
they look so out of place ,they should be sunlight.
I want to take you where the smile returns
and keep you from the night
and wake up to see me in your eyes.
---------------------------------------------
If there ever was a song that I could pick for Gord to sing this is it.
--------------------------------------------- John Hooton
Annette Hannivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2000, 02:18 AM   #111
Mister hoot'n holler

This could be a long one so please bear with me. I had a musical revelation yesterday. A honest to goodness bolt of lightning type hit me in the head and heart experience. Wow. For 30+ years I have been a devoted fan of singer /songwriters. Of course Gord is my favorite but I've also been a fan of Dylan,Chapin,Donovan,McLean,Cohen,Simon,Taylor,Joh n Stewart,Sebastian,Prine,Denver,Winchester,Kris,Nel son,Cash,Diamond,Fogelberg,Franks,Rankin,Van Morrison----and the ladies, Collins,Mitchell,Emmy,King,Muldaur,Ian,Baez,Nicks, Reddy,Bayer Sager,Simon et al.
But for the last couple of years I've been kind of restless musically and I've had this feeling that I was missing out on something very important. And I was. While reading through this "who else does it for you" I came across the name Stan Rogers and I thought hmmmmm I should check out his music. Somehow I pulled up the Garnet Rogers website and learned that Stan had died in an airplane crash about 17 years ago. The reviews on Garnet Rogers were incredible so I went to "Borders" music and book store to find some of his CDs. Their computer showed nothing by Garnet but they showed about a dozen or so albums by Stan so I went to the bin and looked at all his Cds and I didn't recognize his picture or any of his song titles.I wondered which CD to buy. Should I start at the beginning of his career,the middle or the end. I ended up buying The latest CD, a compilation of songs that were outtakes that never made it on to any of his albums. The CD is called "from coffee house to concert hall" and was released in 1999 by Fogarty's Cove Music.My wife Cindy and I were standing in our kitchen putting away groceries and rearranging our cupboards[getting ready for a long cold winter in Colorado] and I started this new CD---- and after hearing his first words I got chills and the hair on my arms stood straight up.We both stopped and stared at each other with our mouths hanging open and stopped what we were doing and listened to every word and note from this incredible artist.You see we both appreciate good lyrics and melodies but what we really love is the emotion and phrasing and life experience that a singer puts into the song.[Like Gord does] The 10th song is called "Louise's Song" and after the first two lines we were both fighting back tears. This guy put it all together as a singer/songwriter and entertainer. I want to thank whoever put his name up for bringing his music to my attention.I'm mad at myself for not finding his music sooner. Myself being a Canadian expatriot [Stan was Canadian and toured on a bus with Gord and Joni Mitchell] I felt kind of bad for having not kept track of the music of my homeland. Also I'm thinking that if this CD is his music that didn't make it onto any of his albums----then his other dozen or so albums must be very,very good. Also, his brother Garnet's albums will be well worth looking into.I have a feeling that there are a lot of other Stan Rogers fans out there and that I,m the last one to the party.I'll close with the chorus from"Louise's Song"

and oh, there's a burning in your eyes
and the hand you put in mine won't stop trembling.
oh, tell me what you're going through,
'cause all I want to do is be protecting.
No! all the shadows on your face ,
they look so out of place ,they should be sunlight.
I want to take you where the smile returns
and keep you from the night
and wake up to see me in your eyes.
---------------------------------------------
If there ever was a song that I could pick for Gord to sing this is it.
--------------------------------------------- John Hooton
Mister hoot'n holler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2000, 10:51 AM   #112
charlene

re: Stan Rogers

there was a stage production here in Toronto this summer about Stan Rogers life. It was only here for a few weeks and I believe they are on tour now.

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2000, 10:51 AM   #113
charlene

re: Stan Rogers

there was a stage production here in Toronto this summer about Stan Rogers life. It was only here for a few weeks and I believe they are on tour now.

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote