banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Lightfoot Covers

View Poll Results: The most common 'First' word Gord uses in song is:
All 1 12.50%
I 2 25.00%
If 3 37.50%
In 1 12.50%
She 2 25.00%
The 2 25.00%
There 1 12.50%
You 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. This poll is closed

Old 03-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
jj

Default Famous Last Words - Quiz

What I should've said was, famous First words...

Ever tried writing a song or poem and couldn't get by the first word or even make it to that first word?

Select the word that you think Gord has used most frequently to begin a song.

Let's actually select 3 each (ie. per member) and see if anyone can get the top 3...Bonus, post a reply stating the order of those top 3.

Last edited by jj; 03-08-2009 at 05:12 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Famous Last Words - Quiz

I, The, ??
I think "Borderstone" might be the most used first word of almost all lines in one song. (DSR is another like that)
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
jj

oh, that's a whole other interesting poll...forget first lines, how about most repeated pronoun or noun in one song...add Jessie Jo to the list

also previously wondered what the most used adjectives and adverbs were in his lyrics catalogue...where did Oh Linda go?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Peter Bro10

can I change my vote???
or, being from Chicago (area) can I vote and vote often???

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bro10 View Post
can I change my vote???
but you are to choose 3 anyhow and then rank them in a Reply for bonus...I think char is the only one thus far who has opted for that

if you don't feel SHE is at least in the top 3 then you would have to get some edit help from our techno-moderator-geekess
Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
but you are to choose 3 anyhow and then rank them in a Reply for bonus.
Are you saying there IS a prize ?

I don't think many have voted for 3. There have been 5 voters and only 7 votes.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
charlene

NO prizes! good lord it's like playing with a 4 year old...
lol
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Are you saying there IS a prize ?
well, i was thinking that bragging rights alone wold be the Bonus...but how about a set of of guitar strings? i believe you're down a set....if char wins, she can just send me back the ones she has no use for...ie. the EADBE ones

rm, not sayin yours wasn't a fine guess but you might want to use a life line or two, regardless
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
NO prizes! good lord it's like playing with a 4 year old...
lol
Ma'am,

I apologize. My emotional development was stunted at an early age. My father exhibited some of the same behavior as jj. He was a "Tower of Terror", who gave me more than a few "Soarin'" experiences.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
charlene

geeze - you sound my like my 'ex'..
lol

If I win I don't want no stinkin' geetar strings..
Old 03-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Patti

What if they have new guitar strings that smell good?
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
charlene

hmmm..tempting..but nope..
lol
Old 03-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
JohnStinson

This reminds me of the monty python skit where there is a play by play of Thomas Hardy writing the first lines of Return of The Native...

Imagine the same thing whilel watching GL write the Wreck...

..BUT IMAGINE WONDERFULLY FUNNY...Monty Python british accent..

(Voice of first reporter). Hello, and welcome to Dorchester, where a very good crowd has turned out to watch local boy Thomas Hardy write his new novel The Return of the Native on this very pleasant July morning. This will be his eleventh novel and the fifth of the very popular Wessex novels; and here he comes, here comes Hardy walking out toward his desk, he looks confident, he looks relaxed, very much the man in form as he acknowledges this very good-natured Bank Holiday crowd. And the crowd goes quiet now as Hardy settles himself down at his desk, body straight, shoulders relaxed, pen held lightly but firmly in the right hand, he dips the pen in the ink and he’s off! It’s the first word, but it’s not a word, oh no, it’s a doodle way up on the left-hand margin, it’s a piece of meaningless scribble and he’s signed his name underneath. Oh dear, what a disappointing start! But he’s off again and here he goes, the first word of Thomas Hardy’s first novel at 10.35 on this very lovely morning, it’s three letters, it’s the definite article and it’s "the", Dennis.
(Voice of Dennis) Well, this is true to form, no surprises there. He’s started five of his eleven novels to date with the definite article. We’ve had two of them with "it", there’s been one "but", two "ats", one "and" and a "Dolores"(?). Oh, that , of course, was never published.
I’m sorry to interrupt you there, Dennis, but he’s crossed it out! Thomas Hardy here on the first day of his new novel has crossed out the only word he’s written so far, and he’s gazing off into space. Oh dear, he’s signed his name again.
(Voice of Dennis) It looks like Tess of the D’Urbervilles all over again.
(Voice of first reporter) But he’s, no he’s down again and writing, Dennis. He’s written "the " again and he’s written "a" and there’s a second word coming up and it’s "sat". "A sat ...", doesn’t make sense, "a satur ...", "a Saturday", it’s "a Saturday", and the crowd are loving it, they are really enjoying this novel. And "this afternoon", "this Saturday afternoon in, in, in know ..., knowvember", November is spelled wrong, ... but he’s not going back, it looks as if he’s going for a sentence, and it’s the first verb coming up, the first verb of the novel and it’s "was"! – and the crowd are going wild. "A Saturday afternoon in November was" – and a long word here – "appro ..., appro ...", is it "approval"? No, it’s "approaching, approaching". "A Saturday afternoon in November was approaching", and he’s done the definite article "the" again, and he’s writing fluently, easily with flowing strokes of the pen as he comes up to the middle of this first sentence. And with his eleventh novel well under way and the prospects of a good day’s writing ahead, back to the studio.
... we interrupt the sketch to take you straight back to novel-writing from Dorchester and the latest news about that opening sentence.
(Voice of first reporter) Well, the noise you can hear is because Hardy has just completed his first sentence and it’s a real cracker, just listen to this: "A Saturday afternoon in November was approaching the time of twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment" and that after only three hours of writing. What a "hardyesque" cracker.

Last edited by JohnStinson; 03-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote