banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
podunklander

Default hello from Ohio

hey all! So far so good (relatively) out here digging in OH. My 1st day out in the field (orientation/training/safety the day before) was Friday and it was an 8 hour day due to rain. Today was my 1st 10 hour day and I KNOW I am going to be sore tomorrow . Not so bad the 1st day except my arms and upper thighs are covered with bruises from lifting and sifting buckets of soil.

Yesterday was our day off and it was wonderful weather . A nice drive to Buckeye Lake and on to visit an old friend, and he and his wife (who is awesome, I love her!) had me stay for dinner. A beautiful ranch they have and well I haven't had that much fun in a long time . I've been invited to visit on my day off very week while I'm out here and I just may do that !!

ok I have to hit the hay in less than an hour and..I hope everyone here is doing well too. Can't keep my eyes open sorry. Pam
Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
geodeticman.5

Default Re: hello from Ohio

Sleep well Podunk - from a former Buckeye - I think you got that post in another thread from me didn't you ? - where I feigned trying to sell you some archelogical dig max surveying tools - - like Big BOB - my 32 oz Geodetic Plumb bob - guranteed up to 45 MPH , but a gammon reel won't pull it back up- true- , but j/k - I wouldn't sell that last-of best-of giant plumb bobs made for a tool belt ever - its a benchmark for me in how things were in control surveys when I first out out of colege - not as easy as it is now with GPS... - they say GPS can do an extremely precise job of measuring an extremely innaccurate point or object ! lol - later glad yer trip was safe.

Good ole area code er......216 right ? I know - it was the post on guessing the Indian Burial Mounds site, or Mohican State Park - camped, paddled, yadda yadda a lot there ! Check out wipp's or Wiff's Ledges Park if you're near...its a bit like Nelson's Ledges in Ohio - just better - brought rock-climbing home to old friends there from Alpine Guide Schooling in Estes - you might remember from what you said - the School ? -' Fantasy Ridge School of Alpinism' - head teach/guide- Michael Covington - Yvonne Chouinard's climbing partner til Yvonne got kind a crickety - - you did say lived near a CCC facility in Estes right ? Or your elder friend....hmmm gotta go find that thread now lol... ok later,
Old 10-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
geodeticman.5

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...6link_code=xm2

Hopefully, the copied shortcut to The "Giant Webster's ON-LINE DICTIONARY - with synonyms, thesaurus, and...." - and so many thing linked I can't believe it .

Podunk - befudled you I am sure I have so far...the reason I have written is because, in a fit of sleep-deprivation , just plain old insomnia.. I did not stumble so much as followed a path starting with looking up a definition of a word in a larger amazingly handy "swiss-army knife" of dictionaries,- the
Webster's on-line dictionary - not the Merriams... and I found a book you might be interested in, on a page of further Ohio interest in books -
This one can do anything.. and since you are in Ohio, and I took notice as mentioned above as an old buckeye '58 - '75 , the mention of a book on "Ohio natural interests" looked like it might be up your alley - it combines local points of natural interest, colloquialisms, much history, looks more like an intelligent "researcher's" readable book, rather than a novelty as are also on the same page - Such as Amazing Ohio Oddities' - 'betcha didn't know THAT about Ohio' - stuff..lol..

No this looks like a well-researched variation on an extended masters thesis-cum-book in Nature of Ohio - clean and straighforward; literate - begs the question of a book I know, but....lol.

I know you are studying and doing archealogical digs, from what discipline other than Archeology if so I don't know, but thought the book would be of interest while you are there....its only$11, might also be in a a larger local Library.

If my hyper-link that ran afoul does not play-out - no, looks like it made it OK....in preview-mode, - the name of the book is: below sorry lol...its a long name - also readable in the Amazon on-line reader in full looks like... the reader is linked directly to the amazon book listing text, I am sure you are allready well familiar wi that utility... but the name, here is a swipe-copy-paste of most of the page - I'll edit out the extranneous orts... oops its 24.95, dang it..maybe a used one from $6 and up ? see yellow pertinent highlights:

Share your own customer images
Look inside this book
Please tell the publisher:
I’d like to read this book on Kindle Don’t have a Kindle? Get yours here. (steve's note - they have it in on-line amazon reader right there) The Ohio Nature Almanac: An Encyclopedia of Indispensable Information About the Natural Buckeye Universe (Paperback)
by Stephen Ostrander (Editor)
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
List Price: $24.95 Price: $24.95 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
Special Offers Available
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).
Want it delivered Tuesday, October 28? Order it in the next 7 hours and 30 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details
13 new from $14.99 10 used from $6.40

I hope this is of interest, at least. Ohio can be....amazingly interesting....and amazingly boring....its up to the detective in you...the geography of Ohio is very interesting for an Indiana-Illinois-like state, too. The State Park system has REALLY grown since I lived there. Remeber the "Indian Mounds"(sic) -too !
Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Moosedog

Hi Pam! I'll keep it brief, cause I know your time online is so limited. Hi Pam! LOL

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
fezo

Hey! Glad you've arrived.

Happy digging!
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
Nightingale

Hello Pam
Sounds like you are doing great so far. What a stroke of luck that you have friends in the area, that helps a lot, I am sure.

Glad you are getting in shape Nice to hear from you and know that you are hanging in there.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Patti

Nice to hear from you Pam.
You sure are having quite the experience. ...
Take care,
Patti
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
podunklander

thanks everyone . And Steve -yes I did read your posts and thanks! Sorry, I simply do not have time to write much these days after 6 days in a row, 10 hour days. Brutal - the cold was for 2-3 days earlier in the week and now we've been blessed with VERY pleasant weather . Nice our PI (project investigator) brought us Tim Horton's coffee, hot chocolate and Timbits out to us during the cold days. There are 2 Tim Horton's in a nearby town lol.

An interesting archaeological site and I have a few photos I'll post when I'm back at home. I love the crew that I'm working on and they're just crazy ok and that includes yours truly .

I haven't gone swimming, etc., this week because of all the bruises on my legs from anchoring buckets of soil. Other than that - I feel great and thought I'd be sore from all this work but I'm not.

Because of the time change -when back to work on Sunday we head out to our site an hour 'early'...that would be 6:30 instead of 7:30 so I'll not notice the difference, really.

ok I'm probably not making any sense here because I need to get to sleep now, sorry lol. bye all

Pam