banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
Char1

http://archives.cbc.ca/300c.asp?id=1-68-743
Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

This is great - loved it - a smorgasbord of Gord! I've added the site to my favorites list.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
Borderstone

Well,Baby Step Back!! That was super-duper-cool beyond belief! "Saturday Clothes Live"! Right On! All the rest too! Righteous and outta-sighteous! Later!

------------------
Borderstone (Hello! )
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:00 PM   #4
LTFT Fan

How great is this? (reallyreally!)
Thank you for posting it Char!
LTFT Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:51 PM   #5
brink

I HATE computers, so on these clips is he suppose to really move? Yesterday I couldn't hear anything and now nothing moves.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:14 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by brink:
I HATE computers, so on these clips is he suppose to really move? Yesterday I couldn't hear anything and now nothing moves.

He walks, he talks - sometimes both - depends on whether or not the specific clip is TV (#1,2,3,5,8,9,10) or radio (#4,6 and 7).
Old 12-05-2003, 11:22 PM   #7
brink

I repeat, I Hate computers, he doesn't walk and talk on anything it is one or the other on mine.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:01 AM   #8
Rick Mundane

Tried to watch these clips on my 'dial up' and every clip kept buffering every 3 seconds, except radio clips.

So tried it on my son's 'broadband' managed to get right through but still too much buffering.

But great for all that.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:20 PM   #9
Gaby

A guy called Peter, posting on alt.music.lightfoot has done all the hard work for us. I hope he won't mind if I quote him for you. He has, after all, already sent it out into the ether.

[There is a program called " WM Recorder" that will record video to the hard drive on
your computer.
The website is: http://www.wmrecorder.com/index.php
The software is a free download for a "trial" period. It will only record 2
minutes of video for each clip unless you purchase the product. The full
price to record the complete videos is USD $29.95.
It works great and is very easy to use. I recorded the first 2 minute
clip and played it back. It automatically opened Windows Media Player. I was
even able to play the clip in full screen format! Hope this helps !]

I downloaded this program (1 1/2 mins)and it's as easy to use as he says. The reproduction quality is crystal clear.

(Usual disclaimer - neither I, nor any member of my immediate family have any connection with the above mentioned program!)

Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:34 PM   #10
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Even better is the fact that the Newsgroup's resident technical genius one Edmund Mullen has gone to a lot of trouble to download the streaming items and is in the process of uploading them to some limited spare space on his web site look for a thread entitled
"lightfoot cbc multimedia" in his first posting Ed gave the URL to get the files from
In his posting Ed says
"temporarily available so GET IT NOW!!!
http://edmullen6.home.comcast.net/gl_temp.html"

--
Ed Mullen http://edmullen.net

Note I accessed that using the browser newsreader of outlook express. As it will be a few more hours before Google groups wakes up to this thread which should then appear on
http://www.newsgroup.shorturl.com

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 10, 2003).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:17 AM   #11
Bill

What an exquisite collection!

Living in the rural US before all this digital technology we never got any Lightfoot news.

I had no luck storing the clips so I hope the sight remains viable for a long time to come.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:50 AM   #12
Martin/12

Now I can finally put together that Lightfoot documentary!

Thanks char. This is great. As already mentioned, in the States we never recieved anything about Gord in the media. Never really got to see the man just be himself much.

It is interesting to me that for a guy who always said he disliked doing TV--I guess he didn't think he came off so well--he seemed much more the showman in his earlier days. Maybe he just does better with strong direction.

I was also suprised to see a bare-back (and front) lady in a TV special from the 60s. Seems strange they would put such a thing in a railroad camp. Did women sleep topless in the 1800s, or do we assume she was a lady of the evening (in a railroad camp??) For the family hour that just seemed strange.
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #13
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by Martin/12:
I was also suprised to see a bare-back (and front) lady in a TV special from the 60s. Seems strange they would put such a thing in a railroad camp. Did women sleep topless in the 1800s, or do we assume she was a lady of the evening (in a railroad camp??) For the family hour that just seemed strange.

O-kayyyy ... now I've got to go back and review that clip. I take it Gord was off-screen singing at the time? I was watching him, not the 'navvies' and company.

Hang on - caught it, about 6 minutes in.

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited December 11, 2003).]
Old 12-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #14
Martin/12

BTW, what is a navvie?
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #15
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by Martin/12:
BTW, what is a navvie?

A "navvy" is someone who is not skilled in the trade in which they are working. Such as building railroads.

TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:15 PM   #16
Gaby

quote:A guy called Peter..... has done all the hard work for us.

I meant to say - Char1 has done all the hard work! and Peter has found a way to save it.

I am so sorry, Char. Forgive me?

It really is an amazing sight.

You must have thought you'd died and gone to Heaven when you came across it.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:41 PM   #17
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Bill:

I had no luck storing the clips so I hope the sight remains viable for a long time to come.

very strange Bill All you had to do was follow Ed's instructions! If you are using Internet Explorer you very simply right click on each link then select "save target as" and pick a suitable location anywhere on your hard drive Tip unless your desktop is as messy as mine usually is save it there very easy to get at then. Or are you blessed with using a raincoat maybe??
Regarding getting the files in a timely fashion. the operative words from Ed are
"temporarily available so GET IT NOW!!!" my italics
Else the site will not be in sight for you or Gaby (who recently I can't help pointing out criticised (American criticized??) DuncanMD3's spelling

------------------
starts at

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 11, 2003).]
Old 12-11-2003, 07:33 PM   #18
TheWatchman

If I am not mistaken, right clicking the link will only save the shortcut to the webpage that the interviews etc. are stored at. Right clicking will not save the videos on your computer so you can view them whenever you want.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:29 PM   #19
Gaby

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles

Else the site will not be in sight for you or Gaby (who recently I can't help pointing out criticised (American criticized??) DuncanMD3's spelling

Cor Blimey, Guv! Caught me bang to rights, there. NOT.

Sight (n. OED) – thing seen or worth seeing, display, show, spectacle.

And, if Char’s site was not not a sight worth seeing, then I don’t know what is!

And, before you accuse me of starting a sentence with a conjunction – I KNOW!.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:10 PM   #20
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
If I am not mistaken, right clicking the link will only save the shortcut to the webpage that the interviews etc. are stored at. Right clicking will not save the videos on your computer so you can view them whenever you want.
No Watchman Al you are not really mistaken just a bit behind in where this story is at.
True clicking the link on the original CBC page may well only save the shortcut but since then this thread has been talking about guitarman Peter Alicia's discovery and use of the program(me) called WM recorder see Gaby's post above after she had read the Newsgroup. Then I posted that Ed Mullen had after using this prog commenced a procedure of downloading the actual video/audio files as standalone items that he intends to then store in batches on the (limited) spare space on his own server set-up in deepest Georgia. then we could all download from his WEBSITE (so sorry Gaby I personally have never heard of them being referred to as WEBSIGHTS) and individually store them on our hard drives for future enjoyment. So the instructions that I repeated above to "save target as" are valid only if you are clicking on the (download) link on Ed's sigh site. Beyond that I do believe that, with the possible prior requirement to first convert the video files to a common format (mpg or mpeg2 to be pedantic also known as videoCD) you can use a sophisticated CD burning programme such as Nero Express to burn the mpgs to a CD-R and it comes out as a videoCD that will play on most if not all standalone DVD players. I know it's possible as I have successfully made a videoCD from a number of mpgs that I acquired from a peer-to -peer network (peer Gaby not Pier!!). so Bill go to Ed's page:-
http://edmullen6.home.comcast.net/gl_temp.html"
pronto click away and get the files while they are there as I said above.But be warned the one big (Orillia) video file is actually a wmv format video file and takes a very long time to download using a dial-up connection (as I did earlier) ( and the two longer clips of the 1967 CRT broadcast that I unfortunately did not see live although I was in Montreal at the time and saw Gord in May of that year also the clip of Dylan handing over the booty to "a very grateful person from Orillia, Ontario,Canada" will be no doubt much larger files so Gaby you had better get broadband and join the other 3 million Brits already so-connected forthwith or save up for a new pair of thumbs to twiddle!!!

------------------
starts at

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 11, 2003).]
Old 12-15-2003, 02:33 PM   #21
johnfowles

I hope that Bill managed to get the download links working. If not and for anybody who hasn't bothered to keep up with Ed Mullen's Newsgroup postings, Ed has as threatened removed the original set of files from his page at:- http://edmullen6.home.comcast.net/gl_temp.html
he initially uploaded then removed the zip file for
"Lightfoot raps with Vancouvers youths Nov 1969". and currently has the one I have been dying to see for many years (since I missed the original live television showing in January 1967)
the full CRT rendition
I am saving them all so in due course if anyone wants any that they missed e-mail me and I will see what can be done about it
I wish I had a high speed internet link. It is taking about 2 hours to download the 18.6MB CRT zip file on my 56k dial-up connection

------------------
starts at

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 15, 2003).]
Old 12-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #22
joveski

if some of these are movie clips, someone should make a VCD out of them
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:40 PM   #23
Borderstone

I'm guessing the word navvy is derived from Naive or as mentioned unlearned or unskilled. I think that's right.

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:49 PM   #24
Auburn Annie

Found this on the internet:

From Larry Preuss: “I have wondered about the origin of the word navvy. My Shorter OED tells me it is an abbreviation of navigator but somehow that doesn’t seem likely. Are there other thoughts on this?”

It’s true enough, though we’ve lost the associations that made it seem an obvious enough coinage to people at the time. From about 1660 onwards in Britain, many artificial waterways were built to make rivers navigable by ships and boats. These became known as navigations, a term first recorded early in the eighteenth century. The word was later applied to the cross-country canals linking river to river that were one of the engineering triumphs of the second half of that century and the early part of the next. The labourers who built these navigations—entirely by hand using pick, shovel and barrow—came to be called navigators, an obvious enough association of ideas. The term was transferred to their successors, the often unruly gangs of itinerant workmen who built the railways across Britain from the 1830s onwards. It’s only then that the abbreviated form began to appear in print, and it’s attached in particular to these men and to the era of railway building in Britain. Later in the century it become the usual term for any labourer working on construction projects. It was so firmly attached to the idea of excavation that when the first mechanical digger came into service in the 1870s it was called a steam navvy.

World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion, 1996–2004.
All rights reserved. Contact the author for reproduction requests.
Comments and feedback are always welcome.
Page created 21 August 1999.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:58 PM   #25
superiorsings

Didn't this come up a long time ago, and someone thought it meant Scandinavian?
Just a guess.
superiorsings is offline   Reply With Quote