banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #626
charlene

Default Re: GL Lyrics fan(atics) fun quizzers and more !

Q-224
...ember
Song-Anything For Love (ya know - I like this song - even with the Foster fooling around stuff)
Lyric
Not long ago as I remember
Once upon a dark and windy day
When love looked like a dying ember
Before you came to call
The beauty of it all I thought I'd lost and yet

Thought it might be: Ecstasy Made Easy but ember is plural.. both songs with similar lyric are on East of Midnight album

Ecstasy I ask you, are you a name
Or just another patron with a smile
Let me analyze you, are you a flame
Or just the dying embers
Of a kiss run wild
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #627
RM

Hibernation's over ? okay.....

Q220 .....pan.....

Song : Ode to Big Blue

Lyric :

And there never was a man who was born with a gunner's hand
Who ever took a pan to big blue.

Last edited by RM; 11-14-2008 at 02:01 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #628
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Linda View Post
Hi geo Steve....I'm still here and interested in playing. Just came down with over a week-long bug that wiped me out completely. Feeling better and catching up on the many threads/posts I've missed, but started here and saw the new clues.

The current batch of clues seem a step-up in difficulty for me, although I could easily attribute that to my present state of just beginning to feel better. But I must say your last little hint there (I just gotta be me) triggered the song I believe to be correct, another song of unrequited love, as follows:

Q223: Thinking wicked....

From You Just Gotta Be

You'll find me by the bayou
Thinking wicked thoughts of you ~ GL

Very good Oh Linda, with that last clue that Geo Steve gaved I would have got it, but you beat me to it.

I was thinking of Shadows before coming on line, It's a wicked wind. But that was not it, the word wicked was very confusing.

Good for you Linda hope your feeling better !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #629
geodeticman.5

Oh, Linda - sorry to hear you've been sick !
re:some cut n paste from you post I extracted this to move it to pg 26-

Quote:
Hi geo Steve....I'm still here and interested in playing. Just came down with over a week-long bug
Q223: Thinking wicked....
From You Just Gotta Be
Thinking wicked thoughts of you ~
Linda
Bottom Line - you are correct !
song - You Just Gotta Be ~gl
Lyric patch:
Thinking wicked thoughts of you
You got it Linda, I'll post your BIG X on the chart with a few others after I review them, all at once.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:22 AM   #630
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Q222 - At shades
Song - If There's A Reason (love the mood/tempo of this song)
Lyric -
If you should need me deep in the night
At shades of twilight
If there's a reason for living without me
Just let me know and I'll go on living
Hi Char - thanks for fixin my boo-boo in 'analogy' of Ron's . Its all beddor now. lol . LINDA SAID THESE LOOKED HARDER THAN BEFORE. So- you think you can play the hard list kid, huh ? WE'LL SEE ABOU THAT..! LOL

Q222 At shades....
Song:If There's A Reason - correct !
Lyrics:
If you should need me deep in the night
At shades of twilight
If there's a reason for living without me
Just let me know and I'll go on living
- I love the mood/tempo of this song, as well Char, unusual for Gordo
You got it, Char ! I'll post 'em on the X chart all at once shortly...
Old 11-15-2008, 03:41 AM   #631
geodeticman.5

Quote:
charlene
Q-224...ember
Song-Anything For Love (ya know - I like this song - even with the Foster fooling around stuff)
Lyric
When love looked like a dying ember
Before you came to call
So:Q-224 ...ember -right
Song:Anything For Love ~ gl -right !
lyrics:
When love looked like a dying
ember
Before you came to call

- you are right Char, the more I think about this song, and all the lyrics you posted; it makes me aware of how good a song it is.... to he88 with the pundits and ballyhooeing over Foster. When I saw on a You Tube the video for Northern Lights, he struck me as very talented and affable.
I can picture Kristoferson lookin at him work, and sayin to himself ' The guys never sweat a day in his life....never strung fence, never dug a ditch in a rain storm in a hurry, he's soft.... untested, thats why HIS songs seem like plastic to Lightfoot's Rawhide...and my, .....my STEEL lol....in a way its not far off, but so what, the kid is talented. He brought out a different side of Gord I didn't mind seeing for a song. Know what I mean ?

Quote:
Thought it might be: Ecstasy Made Easy but ember is plural.. both songs with similar lyric are on East of Midnight album
Ecstasy I ask you, are you a name
Or just another patron with a smile
Let me analyze you, are you a flame
Or just the dying embers
Of a kiss run wild
Interesting coincidence... same,album - , and I too, despite critique of 'over-producing' also like them both.

Well congats again Char - I'll post 'em all in a few minutes...
Old 11-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #632
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Hibernation's over ? okay.....
Q220 .....pan.....
Song : Ode to Big Blue
Lyric :
Who ever took a pan to big blue.
Hey Ron ! You mean you just crawled out of that cave ? lol ... I been up and runnin non-stop , you just ain't poked yer head in too many times lately - ya been out doing genius in other threads ! ..lol
I was about to roll my tent up and light a shuck, since this was up since 6 days ago:

Quote:
HERE ARE 10 NEW ONES! All "STUDIO RELEASES = '65 - 2008' ALL RECORDED
posted at 6:20 PM Mtn Std Time 11/06/09
Q206 ....may go
Q207 Life's....
Q208 Bells....
Q209 ....rain
Q210 ....Edmonton....
Q211 ....winter's claw
Q212 ....these chains....
Q213 ....gliding
Q214 Rain is....
Q215 ....willows start....
ok RON 'tseeer:
Q220 .....pan..... - right
Song : Ode to Big Blue ~gl - correct !
Lyric :
Who ever took a
pan to big blue. - you got it ! - Congratulations - different kinda song for Gord - he could of written some sasquatch, Nessie, etc songs back then in that voice, too. I like it.

nice work Ron ! Linda was sick - ppl all livin real life - sometimes we dont all cross paths for 3 , 6 days at a time.... 'ts-allright I asked farther up/back after these'd been up 5 days if folks wanted to keep playin...it was cool either way... and yes's started rollin in.... but I'd been actively responding as we had 'em trickle , then yesterday and today - kaboom were back in BIZ !

I'll post 'em all from this PM on the BIG X chart next post

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 11-15-2008 at 04:13 AM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:06 AM   #633
geodeticman.5

Status as of 2:00 AM 11/15/08 WE'RE CLOSE to done - 3 more !

and Q213....gliding lingers, below is an "oh c'mon" clue

================================================== =====

Q216 ....dream X Valid ambig is answered correctly by Joveski - winning ambig is 'Summertime Dream', intended was 'Endless wire'

Q217 ....smilin' - REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q218 ....a-tangle,.... X Answered correctly by Joveski ! - with 'Baby,It's Allright' ~ gl

Q219 ....cost's eight -REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q220 ....pan.... X Answered correctly by Ron ! - with 'Ode to Big Blue' ~ gl

Q221 Now if....-REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q222At shades.... X Answered correctly by Char ! - with 'If There's A Reason' ~ gl

Q223 Thinking wicked.... X Answered correctly by Oh,Linda! - with 'You Just Gotta Be' ~ gl

Q224....ember X Answered correctly by Char ! - with 'Anything For Love ' ~ gl

Q225 ....crow may.... X Answered correctly by Jesse Joe ! - with 'I'll Prove My Love' ~ gl

HAVE FUN ! EVERYTHING SAME AS LAST TIME, WITH BIG X, & NO RARITY !

SO - Just 3 more to go ....and Q213, are all that are left,

Reminder - Unless I missed a post, Q213 ....gliding is still unanswered from the last set. ! - should we put 'er out of 'er misery - or someone take another crack at it ? - another clue - SSoL album -which we all ..know so well....or will.. no one will ever know ? - What I know so well
HAVE FUN !
Old 11-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #634
Oh, Linda

Q213 ....gliding

Your clues were yet another tip-off to what I believe is the correct answer.

Through the woodland swiftly gliding
To the young maid he came riding ~ GL
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #635
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Linda View Post
Q213 ....gliding

Your clues were yet another tip-off to what I believe is the correct answer.

Through the woodland swiftly gliding
To the young maid he came riding ~ GL
Linda - you got it ! which clue did the trick ?

I forget what you were out of town for, hope thats not a social gaff on sad business, anyhoo - good to have u back. WE had a slump with 10 posted for around 4 days, and there was was 'just talk' of did ppl want to still play in general ? And I there was definately a consensus of ' keep lyirics quizzers and other games going. ! - phew- - check out the last 2 -3 pages of posts abd you'll see the exchange of 'is it still going ? - 'oh there is a new list, .....players start trickling back in....aha now I know,,,, u were sick - are you feelin better ? Thanks for the visit, and for shootin that ole horse, sad as it was. good song too - i WAS amost ready to give the vistory number to eveyone as a last ditch clue...lol..LOL.....new chart coming later this afternoon. i am crashing big time...sorry guys...zzzzzzzzzzzzz
I'll post your big X later - gotta go.congrats ! Oh, Linda earns the YOU GET A BIG "X"!
- sorry to interrupt your regular programming, but this, jist in !:
OK guys, this is not a DRILL ! Man you battle status there are 3 BOGEY'S THAT JUST DROPPED UNDER RADAR Man your stations ! There are 3 more bogeys out there. So lets let chase.em', race.em,and erase.em ! Watch for low flyers under radar - .cause they do that in every movie. !

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 11-17-2008 at 05:47 PM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:05 PM   #636
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
Linda - you got it ! which clue did the trick ?
When you wrote "no one will ever know, what I know so (too) well..." jogged Miguel right out of my head.

And yes, feeling much better (bad cold/flu, thanks for askin') and I was on vacation for a week--went to an Italian cooking school in eastern Tuscany...something I've always wanted to do and finally did it with a group of friends.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #637
RM

Q219 .....costs eight

Song : Does Your Mother Know

Lyrics :

Just tell her, they tell her
That you've got ten dollars and your rent costs eight

(Q221 is tough. Lightfoot uses 'if ' a lot)

Last edited by RM; 11-18-2008 at 05:04 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #638
Oh, Linda

Q221 "Now if...."

From the Long River

Now if only you could see,
The closing of the day ~ GL
Old 11-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #639
geodeticman.5

Status as of 11:25 PM 11/26/08 Hi guys ! You got 'em all ! except one, Q217 ....smilin' - hint - Our great friend in England Bru absolutely loves the song - that'll just about give 'er away..lol.. but I will now leave it up for you experts - the regular players to chew over that one- or whomever wishes to to take a crack at it...and go ahead and post TEN NEW CLUES FOR THE HOLIDAY - while you are lettin the belts out a notch, and grow weary of Turkey sandwiches - these ten new ones will be here for ya. Thanks for your patience, I'll not trouble you with my goings on...I'll simply say I am glad to be back among the walking

I'll make the 'you're correct !' short and....short here to get right to the ten new ones after posting below the 2 of 3 you got since last 'X' files.

Q219 ....costs eight - Ron nailed it with 'Does You Mother Know' ~gl
Q221 Now if .... Oh,Linda! Nailed it with 'Long River' ~gl

Congrats to you both,Ron and Linda !

I'm glad you are back among the living again, Linda, and domestic Terra- Firma. Wow!- is all I can say on the Tuscan(y) Italian trip with friends to Haute Cuisine School ! - cool ! can I come over ? sumpin' smells good....lol..... I have heard many such top-drawer fine cuisine cooking schools are considered graduate-level work, was this a week of non-credit enrichment cramming or in pursuit of a(nother?) sheepskin ? ....I do hope you and your friends watched the presumed-to-be-obligatory 'Under the Tuscan Sun' DVD with Dianne Lane - just about my favourite actress, before you went.

Linda have you seen her in 'Indian Summer' ? -its a really good movie - sort of 'Big Chill' meets 'Camp Hava30-Supai-something-crisis' ! Its very atmospheric, beautiful autumn scenery - all filmed on an Island in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, if I remember right......it IS worth seeing if you liked Big Chill or like Dianne Lane or the ensemble cast that filmed on location.

Ron - good that you and I are both out of hibernation..... lol.. unique characteristic of our species homosapiencheesepuffsnbeerdaBears when we take our near-annual respit if we are of sufficiently at the ....'food level stored up adequately' state as Winter is setting in...lol.
Ron I really did like your Q posed in your thread on Lightfoot is to Canada, as ( ) is to the USA. Very astute question. My answer was el-stupido - (not THE answer to THE Q,... simply my response.....-phew-....and about 100 years off, but whats a century or two among friends ? lol

OK so we leave Q217 to chew over when your bored, next the provisional/ -final X-files chart -pending Q217's solution- followed by the seperate post for the 10 new Q's,226-235

================================================== =====

Q216 ....dream X Valid ambig is answered correctly by Joveski - winning ambig is 'Summertime Dream', intended was 'Endless wire'

Q217 ....smilin' - REMAINS AS ONLY UNANSWERED QUESTION

Q218 ....a-tangle,.... X Answered correctly by Joveski ! - with 'Baby,It's Allright' ~ gl

Q219 ....costs eight X Answered correctly by Ron ! - with 'Does You Mother Know?' ~ gl

Q220 ....pan.... X Answered correctly by Ron ! - with 'Ode to Big Blue' ~ gl

Q221 Now if.... X Answered correctly by Oh,Linda! - with 'Long River' ~ gl

Q222At shades.... X Answered correctly by Char ! - with 'If There's A Reason' ~ gl

Q223 Thinking wicked.... X Answered correctly by Oh,Linda! - with 'You Just Gotta Be' ~ gl

Q224....ember X Answered correctly by Char ! - with 'Anything For Love ' ~ gl

Q225 ....crow may.... X Answered correctly by Jesse Joe ! - with 'I'll Prove My Love' ~ gl

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone, The next post will be TEN NEW Q/CLUES !

SO Q217 is all thats left, but I'll not let that slow down the release of the ten new ones !,

Note: Near dead-horse solved from previous list ! :
Q213 ....gliding was correctly answered by Linda with 'Miguel' ~gl Congratulations to you all !
Old 11-27-2008, 04:50 AM   #640
geodeticman.5

OK, HERE IS THE THANKSGIVING EDITION OF TEN NEW SONGS ! CHECK IT OUT WHEN YOU'RE TIRED OF TURKEY AND ORDERING PIZZA - I THINK YOU'LL FIND THIS TO BE ONE OF THE MORE LABRYNTHIAN TOURS THROUGH LIGHTFOOT'S WORLD. IT HAD MY HEAD SPINNING JUST LOOKING AT THE PROGRESSION AND SIDETRIPS, SPURLINES PERHAPS, ON THIS TRAINRIDE THROUGH HIS MUSIC OVER THE YEARS. THIS MAY THE TOUGHEST, OR THE EASIEST LIST, I'M HONESTLY NOT SURE. ENJOY, AND ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE SINCE THE LAST LIST. THIS LIST IS VERY CAREFULLY THOUGHT OUT. HAVE FUN - geo steve

================================================== ========

Q226 ....in the rain

Q227 ....open sea

Q228 ...."Take a hike" - dots/position/caps/quotation marks are all correct !

Q229 ....reminisce, do you....

Q230 ....dingy....

Q231 ....change or exchange....

Q232 In some hidden....

Q233 I climbed....

Q234 Trouble don't....

Q235 Two Engines....

================================================== ========

Happy Thanksgiving !
Old 11-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #641
joveski

> Q229 ....reminisce, do you....

thank you for the promises

> Q235 Two Engines....

the watchman's gone
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:39 AM   #642
geodeticman.5

Hey if you are really bored, and nobody is looking, play "The Auctioneer", and clap as loud as you dare to the rythm of the clapping Uncle Pennybags from Monopoly - they clap to almost the precise beat - they are 1/2 a syncopate off if I remember my drumming from High School Garage band days..lol...
here are the little guys....just pull up a copy of gord's The Auctioneer......and your good for at least 5 minutes if you have a long attention span like me................................................ .................................................. ..........lol......
clunk ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Old 11-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #643
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
> Q229 ....reminisce, do you....

thank you for the promises

> Q235 Two Engines....

the watchman's gone
Hey Mende - hows it goin ? I am embarrassed you must have seen my clapping Auctioneer guys..lol...I feel like such a dork....

OK 'tseeer:

Q229 ....reminisce, do you.... - CLUE CHECK
Song: 'thank you for the promises' - CHECK
lyrics: err.....uhm....Mende ?....lol....err.....I hate it when I have to be a harda88 - can you supply a line or so for the 3-part submit ? sorry,man - I know you know it, but others will come down on me for equal application of the rule... help me out here with the 3-part submit - just a patch of lyrics for both - and I can BIG 'X' 'en both ! And THAT is exciting stuff ! Mende....wake up Mende....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ lol...... I'LL MARK EM BOTH PROVISIONAL 'X' if I know your gonna submit at least ONE LINE of lyrics for each one... I am so appreciative of your playing, and I do not want to lose you on a technicality - but a new member comes in and I tell 'em we play with 3 submission requirements,,, aw c;mon you know... .lol.....pUUUlleese ?

and

Q235 Two Engines.... - CHECK
Song - 'The Watchman's Gone' - CHECK
Lyrics- err...uhm.....Mende......a pattern is developing here...lol.......help me out buddy please...maybe 5 minutes therapy with the 'Clapping Auctioneer Uncle PennyBags men' - will get you pluckied-up for the three-part submissions...I don't sense a whole bunch of energy at your end...lol..... really how are you doin ? I DO appreciate you posting. You guys celebrate Thanksgiving same day we do - today - by the clock, anyway ?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #644
geodeticman.5

Mende I am sorry...but I gotta maintain a semblance of some consistency - or I will viably be accused of inconsistent application of the (now) very minimal rules. They're fair game for anyone until you post some lyrics...its so eeeasy...c'mon man... I bet others'll give you a day to see this; I see you have logged out allready after posting. Leaves me in a bind to do anything else like give you full credit.....bummer....bummer.... lets give 'em a full 24 hours, actually maybe until friday eve to post the lyrics, cause of Thanksgiving, but we know he got 'em, i think he is just not to jazzed-up for the 3-part that basically everyone is doin now, it makes my job so much easier......OK Mende ? Maybe he will see this tomorrow....good job and congrats on the the songs.......now- just a tad of lyrics and you're on the X-files board !
Old 11-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #645
joveski

no probs!

229: I'd like to reminisce, do you remember when?

235: Two engines on, 21 coaches long
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:57 AM   #646
geodeticman.5

Thank you Mende, you get the 'BIG-X' for them both now etched in stone ! I'll do a new chart about every 3 submits -or we will have...lol... 50 pages of my big X charts ! Congrats Joveski; and well done. You have 'officialy'..lol...nailed 'em both ! - Q229 & Q235
Old 11-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #647
formerlylavender

I'll take the easiest one...thank you!

Q228 - "Take a hike"
Song - Welcome To Try
"Nothing can hurt me" a small voice said into a mike "Take a hike"

Happy Thanksgiving geo Steve...
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #648
Oh, Linda

Q230 ....dingy.....

From the song: The House You Live In

Beware of strange faces and dark dingy places ~GL

Had to think about that one for a bit before I got it. The rest....I'm gonna have to think about s'more.

P.S. The cooking vacation was not at the level of say graduate level chef school. It was still very organized but a lot less formal, a very Tuscan approach I must say. Plus lots of free time each day to buzz around the local cities and small towns, which we did, before heading back to start dinner prep at 3pm every day. I highly recommend it, even for the non-cooks.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #649
Jesse Joe

Q231 ....change or exchange....

Song: Unsettled Ways

Lyrics: Forgive me the bad things I do
Don't ask me to change or exchange what I am
Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #650
Jesse Joe

Q233 I climbed....

Song: Redwood Hill

Lyric: I climbed the Redwood Hill
Twas on a rainy day

Tags
folk-legend, geodeticman, gordon lightfoot, lyrics, quiz