banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
ricky Jay

I am building my collection slowly but steadily. It seems like forever to collect all his albums. Anyway last night I ordered the following:

Shadows
Salute
Cold on the Shoulder
Endless Wire

Needless to say, I'm very excited to get these in the mail soon. Anyway, I have a question about Endless Wire. I've heard it's not everybody's favorite album...but I hear the sound clips when I went to buy the album at Amazon, and they don't sound that bad. Hangdog Hotel Room and Dreamland sound like songs that I will think I really love...anyway, what is your opinion on the Endless Wire album? I hear it's slightly less popular than his others, but the sound clips don't sound that bad to me...maybe it's just me.
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Shazia

I am building my collection slowly but steadily. It seems like forever to collect all his albums. Anyway last night I ordered the following:

Shadows
Salute
Cold on the Shoulder
Endless Wire

Needless to say, I'm very excited to get these in the mail soon. Anyway, I have a question about Endless Wire. I've heard it's not everybody's favorite album...but I hear the sound clips when I went to buy the album at Amazon, and they don't sound that bad. Hangdog Hotel Room and Dreamland sound like songs that I will think I really love...anyway, what is your opinion on the Endless Wire album? I hear it's slightly less popular than his others, but the sound clips don't sound that bad to me...maybe it's just me.
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
violet Blue

I don't care for the way it was recorded. It was a waste of Lightfoots voice. Of all the albums I dislike the "sound" of that one the most, the way it was recorded and mixed. I prefer East of Midnight even. But the song "If Children Had Wings" makes up for a lot.
violet Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

For those of us who lived through the late 70s ENDLESS WIRE fits in very nicely with my memories of the era. I think about 8 of the songs are "great" and the rest are fine. I think you'll like it but play it straight through a few times and see what you think.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
Borderstone

Shazia,Endless Wire to me sounds like a combination of two late 70s Warner/Curb artists.

The more "rock" oriented songs I compare to what Fleetwood Mac was doing at that time with the "Rumors" LP. Some of it comes of like that artist Gary Wright whgo sang "My Love Is Alive".

Daylight Katy,"....Children Had Wings" are pure Gord to me. It's still a good LP though,you need to listen to the songs a few times and let them grow on you.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:29 PM   #6
mnmouse

I bought this album when it first came out and played it over and over again. I still love to listen to it, both because of the gems already mentioned and because, like so much of Gord's music, it is all tied up with life experiences and memories. Play it, mix it with a few of your own, and you'll love it too.

Mouse
Old 06-30-2005, 11:01 PM   #7
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

This album has some great songs on it. Remember about... oh, six months back when we were talking on another thread about how no one danced to Gord's songs because they're just not *those* kind of songs? I responded that "If There's a Reason" is the ONE song you can slow dance to. A very sexy, slow dance. My personal favs on this album: If There's a Reason, Songs the Minstrel Sang, If Children Had Wings, and The Circle is Small. I like the others, don't get me wrong, but, those are my favorites. Enjoy your new CDs Shazia and tell us what you think after you've listened to them at least twice. It takes at least three listenings for me to form an honest opinion.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:54 PM   #8
kenny

I don't care what song it is in this era of the Lightfoot voice. Any song would sound good because of the beautiful lush baritone quality. Please enjoy greatly the wonderful album called "ENDLESS WIRE" as much as I have.

"It's almost over ,it's almost done and you can't put the blame on anyone; It's almost easy an it's almost fun, did you get caught with your britches on"

"He loved strong ale and a run down jail,
was the kind of a scene where he never failed.
There was no man on sea or land
who could get maid Marion on the trail" DARN!

Great Lyrics (the Darn was added by me)

[ July 01, 2005, 00:00: Message edited by: Rich Man Spiritual ]
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:54 PM   #9
Rich Man Spiritual

I don't care what song it is in this era of the Lightfoot voice. Any song would sound good because of the beautiful lush baritone quality. Please enjoy greatly the wonderful album called "ENDLESS WIRE" as much as I have.

"It's almost over ,it's almost done and you can't put the blame on anyone; It's almost easy an it's almost fun, did you get caught with your britches on"

"He loved strong ale and a run down jail,
was the kind of a scene where he never failed.
There was no man on sea or land
who could get maid Marion on the trail" DARN!

Great Lyrics (the Darn was added by me)

[ July 01, 2005, 00:00: Message edited by: Rich Man Spiritual ]
Rich Man Spiritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #10
ricky Jay

Thank you for your input so far. I can tell you one thing, I have never ever been able to judge a CD upon first listening. It needs a minimum of 3 listens, in my humble opinion, to sink in. That's not to say that you won't like a CD after you listen to it the first time, it's that you will like it better by the time you reach the 3rd listen, as opposed to the 1st. I'm like this with all CDs.

It seems as if Gordon sounds deep, pensive, and a bit sad (but VERY good rich voice) in some of the sound clips for Endless Wire, especially the Dreamland sound clip. However, I must stress that this is not an insult, but purely an observation and quite a favorable one. Some of the song clips sound a teeny bit more relaxed than in other albums though, but not that bad.

I'll let you guys know for sure. Does anyone recommend whether I should post my opinion in a new thread, or just bump this one?

[ July 01, 2005, 00:11: Message edited by: Shazia ]
Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #11
Shazia

Thank you for your input so far. I can tell you one thing, I have never ever been able to judge a CD upon first listening. It needs a minimum of 3 listens, in my humble opinion, to sink in. That's not to say that you won't like a CD after you listen to it the first time, it's that you will like it better by the time you reach the 3rd listen, as opposed to the 1st. I'm like this with all CDs.

It seems as if Gordon sounds deep, pensive, and a bit sad (but VERY good rich voice) in some of the sound clips for Endless Wire, especially the Dreamland sound clip. However, I must stress that this is not an insult, but purely an observation and quite a favorable one. Some of the song clips sound a teeny bit more relaxed than in other albums though, but not that bad.

I'll let you guys know for sure. Does anyone recommend whether I should post my opinion in a new thread, or just bump this one?

[ July 01, 2005, 00:11: Message edited by: Shazia ]
Old 07-01-2005, 12:04 AM   #12
mercedes

I thought "Endless Wire" was great .... down here and back then, you had to wait a long time for these LP's on local release .... so I frequented the import shops to grab these gems. That said, I still prefer the GGV2 versions of "Hangdog Hotel Room" and "Endless Wire".
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:25 AM   #13
ricky Jay

Anyway, that means I've got 13 albums of his so far. (assuming that I'm gonna get those items I mentioned, in the mail)

Lightfoot!
The Way I Feel
Did She Mention My Name
Back Here on Earth
Don Quixote
Old Dan's Records
Sundown
Cold On The Shoulder
Summertime Dream
Endless Wire
Dream Street Rose
Shadows
Salute

I've still got a long way to go! But I'm hanging in there. Gee, when I put it in a list like that, I don't realize how much I gotta finish this collection...no matter how much GL CDs I've got, I never feel like I have enough of his music or something, except when I make a list like this. Maybe it's a sign of how much I love it and how I feel I can't get enough of the music, perhaps.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:25 AM   #14
Shazia

Anyway, that means I've got 13 albums of his so far. (assuming that I'm gonna get those items I mentioned, in the mail)

Lightfoot!
The Way I Feel
Did She Mention My Name
Back Here on Earth
Don Quixote
Old Dan's Records
Sundown
Cold On The Shoulder
Summertime Dream
Endless Wire
Dream Street Rose
Shadows
Salute

I've still got a long way to go! But I'm hanging in there. Gee, when I put it in a list like that, I don't realize how much I gotta finish this collection...no matter how much GL CDs I've got, I never feel like I have enough of his music or something, except when I make a list like this. Maybe it's a sign of how much I love it and how I feel I can't get enough of the music, perhaps.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:05 AM   #15
RaisinSpores

Shazia,
You're getting quite a collection. Unless my eyes deceive me you don't yet have Summer Side of Life or If You Could Read My Mind. Those two would definitely be next on my list if I were you. Summer Side of Life is amazing--it's my second favorite album behind Sundown. I don't know if you've heard those two albums before, but they're both great.
As for Endless Wire, it is my least favorite album of the ones I own (I have everything up through Salute). About half the album is top-notch; the other half ranges from pretty good to so-so. It's a decent album, but it's just not up to par with his classic other Reprise albums.
RaisinSpores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:05 AM   #16
Winter's Claw

Shazia,
You're getting quite a collection. Unless my eyes deceive me you don't yet have Summer Side of Life or If You Could Read My Mind. Those two would definitely be next on my list if I were you. Summer Side of Life is amazing--it's my second favorite album behind Sundown. I don't know if you've heard those two albums before, but they're both great.
As for Endless Wire, it is my least favorite album of the ones I own (I have everything up through Salute). About half the album is top-notch; the other half ranges from pretty good to so-so. It's a decent album, but it's just not up to par with his classic other Reprise albums.
Winter's Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #17
tiabuena

Shazia,
i agree with Winter's Claw: "Summer side of life" is beautiful, it's my favourite one.
It contains gems like "Miguel", one of the beautiful song that Gord ever written, and "Cabaret", another incredible song lost in the years......
So get this album!
Hey, don't forget his latest "Harmony", it's a masterpiece, the best album since "Shadows".
Anyway, you have to colect all the Gord's albums, you know that!

Max- Italy
tiabuena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #18
max

Shazia,
i agree with Winter's Claw: "Summer side of life" is beautiful, it's my favourite one.
It contains gems like "Miguel", one of the beautiful song that Gord ever written, and "Cabaret", another incredible song lost in the years......
So get this album!
Hey, don't forget his latest "Harmony", it's a masterpiece, the best album since "Shadows".
Anyway, you have to colect all the Gord's albums, you know that!

Max- Italy
max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #19
ricky Jay

Yup, Summer Side of Life and If You Could Read My Mind were going to be my next purchases! I feel as if I need Sunday Concert too, but the one with the bonus tracks instead. I have a feeling that East of Midnight is going to be my last purchase, I don't know why. Anyway, I've been interested in the album that is out of print (if I am not mistaken), Waiting for You. I don't think I can get an actual new one, because I think it said it was like $25 or something, and even though I am normally averse to getting a used CD, that may be the only thing I can do regarding that album.

I think that after those purchases, I am going to purchase together Harmony and a Painter Passing Through, and Gord's Gold I. I don't know where East of Midnight and Gord's Gold II fit in. AND, I don't even have the particular songs from Songbook that are not on the other studio albums. Ughh!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #20
Shazia

Yup, Summer Side of Life and If You Could Read My Mind were going to be my next purchases! I feel as if I need Sunday Concert too, but the one with the bonus tracks instead. I have a feeling that East of Midnight is going to be my last purchase, I don't know why. Anyway, I've been interested in the album that is out of print (if I am not mistaken), Waiting for You. I don't think I can get an actual new one, because I think it said it was like $25 or something, and even though I am normally averse to getting a used CD, that may be the only thing I can do regarding that album.

I think that after those purchases, I am going to purchase together Harmony and a Painter Passing Through, and Gord's Gold I. I don't know where East of Midnight and Gord's Gold II fit in. AND, I don't even have the particular songs from Songbook that are not on the other studio albums. Ughh!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #21
DJ in MJ

Chiming in late as usual, but count me in as another Endless Wire fan! It's an excellent set of songs.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #22
tiabuena

Shazia,
for "Waitin for you" you can try on ebay......i bought it NEW on ebay too, at low price.
See here:
www.ebay.com

Oh yes, "Gord gold I" it's a great 'set cause it include some new recordings of the old favorites songs of the '60, like "Early morning rain", "For lovin' me", "Softly" and even a version of "Canadian railroad trilogy" that, for me, it's better than the first one.
Pick up that one!

I don't love "East of midnight" so much; there are some great songs on it ("Let it ride", "Morning glory" and "Lesson in love") but is the way that it was produced that sounds bad today.
You know, we were in the mid '80......

"Songbook" it's like the Bible to me......
tiabuena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #23
max

Shazia,
for "Waitin for you" you can try on ebay......i bought it NEW on ebay too, at low price.
See here:
www.ebay.com

Oh yes, "Gord gold I" it's a great 'set cause it include some new recordings of the old favorites songs of the '60, like "Early morning rain", "For lovin' me", "Softly" and even a version of "Canadian railroad trilogy" that, for me, it's better than the first one.
Pick up that one!

I don't love "East of midnight" so much; there are some great songs on it ("Let it ride", "Morning glory" and "Lesson in love") but is the way that it was produced that sounds bad today.
You know, we were in the mid '80......

"Songbook" it's like the Bible to me......
max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #24
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Hi again, I, too, bought Waiting For You "new", but, on Amazon.com. It was from a private seller (company). It has the original cover, shrink-wrap, but, who knows, right? It is the most expensive to buy. I recently bought a second one because the first one was starting to get little glitches in it. I decided I had to have another "just in case!" I looooooove that album! Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt, Shazia. We are all lovers of Gord's music, however, we are all different people. Some people rave about certain songs which I don't care for, while others don't care for songs which I think are clear gems, through and through. So.... go with what you like. After many, many listenings (and I have all of his albums now after having started collecting them only in the past eight months or so), I am finally starting to like songs I didn't care for so much, finally appreciating them for what they are. Pearls from Gord. Everyone says East of Midnight has a different sound and it's true. But, I really like it. Some don't. That's o.k. That's what makes the world go 'round.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #25
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Dixon:
.... down here
Hey Mike I see from your profile that you are another "upside down" fan**
this makes 7 that I know of who have broken cover in either corfid or the Newsgroup
the others are the two Melbourne cordid posters
Mende Joveski a young student
(catmam)Ron Chidgey a great chat room attendee
a pair posting from Sydney
(Sydney) Steve Atkins a great wit/picture captioner extraordinaire
(Gunter)) Gunther Wandtke a Summertime Dreamer
(who took Mende's barbed germanic slur very equably I thought)
"ACHTUNG!!!!!!

ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS!

...Dies Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mitten-graben.
Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowen fusen und poppen
corken mit spitzensparken. Is nicht fur gewerken by das
dummkopfen. Das rubber necken sightseerers keepen das mitts in
das pockets - relaxen und watchen das blinken lights."

and from the Newsgroup
Peter Treloar who made it to Toronto in May 2001

Photo from a Mornington pub March 2003 during the visit by Californian Goon Show fan
Derek Kidd (from the left Ron Derek Peter and Peter's son Sam)
(the murihikukid) Ron Jenkins in South Island New Zealand
It would be fantastic if you all could contrive to save for Massey Hall 2006
(I have previously suggested that by the time that comes you might be able to get here quicker if you between you charter
a supersonic business jet.It so happenned that soon after I made that outlandish suggestion my weekly Aviation Week magazine
revealed details of the Aerion proposal:-

so get out your piggy banks.!!!
Seriously it is about time that we received news of the first Australian Gordfest. I am sure that Derek will willingly return
to Melbourne for more face to face insults from Peter (who has alredy declared his intention to return to Toronto next year.
Alternatively why not in any case meet up "down there"
**Note Steve that Mike readily admitted to being "down here" none of your spherical objects nonsense
Who knows if you get your skates on you could get a gordfedstoz held before the long delayed gordfestuk200?
John Fowles
see the silver bird on high
She's a-way and westward bound
far a-bove the clouds she'll fly
http://www.azchords.com/l/lightfootg...abs-73627.html
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote