banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-06-2002, 11:26 PM   #26
Mist O' The Morn'

Frankly, I enjoy all of the final four (even though I'm not a basketball fan), in one form or the other, and two, maybe three, of this group happen to rank among my favorites, so whether the release is on CD or not, it doesn't prohibit me from enjoying the music that I have enjoyed on any or all of them for some time. The music's there, it exists.

Nevertheless, it seems that music companies, or music distributors, have this uncanny tendency to release any number of greatest hits albums (I still use the term albums although there may be another term such as unit), because, in my opinion, they are unsure what the greatest hit or hits may have been for their particular artist.

Remake, remaster, rehash, "undiscovered" song buried deep in the basement of someone's home, it doesn't matter, I'll buy the new set because it sounds like a wonderful and great collection of music, albeit I never had an interest in Songbook.

My view is if you want this new collection buy it, if the four appear and you want them, buy them, if you want to buy a single from '79 buy it, or buy any other album of your choice. Now if you purchase, or graciously receive, someone's "burnt" collection of music (apologies to the attorney who's dissertation I found interesting), take it.

In the morning, when I grab a disk or disks, because I walk out the door without my second cup of coffee, and I want to listen to Lightfoot in the car or at work, with the addition of this new Greatest Hits set, I know I'll have a better chance of grabbing a Lightfoot album, and less of a chance of grabbing the Little River Band disk that may be in the CD rack.

As far as a vote, if one exists, I would side with Val even though Gord has some legitimate points.

------------------
restless shadows
Mist O' The Morn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 11:26 PM   #27
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

Frankly, I enjoy all of the final four (even though I'm not a basketball fan), in one form or the other, and two, maybe three, of this group happen to rank among my favorites, so whether the release is on CD or not, it doesn't prohibit me from enjoying the music that I have enjoyed on any or all of them for some time. The music's there, it exists.

Nevertheless, it seems that music companies, or music distributors, have this uncanny tendency to release any number of greatest hits albums (I still use the term albums although there may be another term such as unit), because, in my opinion, they are unsure what the greatest hit or hits may have been for their particular artist.

Remake, remaster, rehash, "undiscovered" song buried deep in the basement of someone's home, it doesn't matter, I'll buy the new set because it sounds like a wonderful and great collection of music, albeit I never had an interest in Songbook.

My view is if you want this new collection buy it, if the four appear and you want them, buy them, if you want to buy a single from '79 buy it, or buy any other album of your choice. Now if you purchase, or graciously receive, someone's "burnt" collection of music (apologies to the attorney who's dissertation I found interesting), take it.

In the morning, when I grab a disk or disks, because I walk out the door without my second cup of coffee, and I want to listen to Lightfoot in the car or at work, with the addition of this new Greatest Hits set, I know I'll have a better chance of grabbing a Lightfoot album, and less of a chance of grabbing the Little River Band disk that may be in the CD rack.

As far as a vote, if one exists, I would side with Val even though Gord has some legitimate points.

------------------
restless shadows
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:09 AM   #28
jpardy

I can't wait for the "final four." I am planning to take the "Shadows" CD and lock myself in the office for about a week. Hands down Shadows is the best album he ever made.
jpardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:09 AM   #29
Gary

I can't wait for the "final four." I am planning to take the "Shadows" CD and lock myself in the office for about a week. Hands down Shadows is the best album he ever made.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:36 AM   #30
jpardy

Hey I was just checking out the songs on the new one disc Greatest Hits CD due to come out in April. Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but how can you have a collection of "all" his hits and leave off one of his hit singles.

"Anything for Love" was Gord's last hit single reaching a solid #13 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart with heavy airplay. It also peaked into the Country Music Chart at about #95 I believe.

If you are having a Greatest Hits how can you leave out this fine song?????
jpardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:36 AM   #31
Gary

Hey I was just checking out the songs on the new one disc Greatest Hits CD due to come out in April. Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but how can you have a collection of "all" his hits and leave off one of his hit singles.

"Anything for Love" was Gord's last hit single reaching a solid #13 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart with heavy airplay. It also peaked into the Country Music Chart at about #95 I believe.

Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 01:15 AM   #32
ericjonander

Hi. I'm a first time visitor to this website, and saw the messages here about the albums that remain unreleased on CD.

I've just been making some of my own CDs from LPs (not any Lightfoot yet). If you have an audiophile quality turntable (this might cost $2000 or more) and clean records, the sound quality can certainly be equal or better than the average CD release. If you have an audiophile quality soundcard in your computer for the analog to digital conversion, I imagine the sound might well be spectacular. However, if Rhino is doing the reissues of the Final Four, chances are they will be better than any LP to CD transfer. If it were another company, I might be inclined to just copy my LPs, and manually edit out any big pops or clicks if they occur on the old records. Most people don't have the equipment to get the best out of LPs, but after a long time without a phono cartridge, I recently started listening to LPs again, and am astounded and very pleased at the quality of the sound.

Legally, you can copy your own LPs for your own use. The artist has already received royalties from the original purchase. I don't see why there is a moral obligation to pay the artist another music royalty when purchasing music in a new format. I've double-payed a lot of artists by purchasing CDs when I had already purchased the LP. Frankly, I resent it. Not only that, but CDs are more expensive than LPs were, so you are paying a higher royalty than on the original releases that you bought.

Old 02-17-2002, 01:15 AM   #33
ericjonander

Hi. I'm a first time visitor to this website, and saw the messages here about the albums that remain unreleased on CD.

I've just been making some of my own CDs from LPs (not any Lightfoot yet). If you have an audiophile quality turntable (this might cost $2000 or more) and clean records, the sound quality can certainly be equal or better than the average CD release. If you have an audiophile quality soundcard in your computer for the analog to digital conversion, I imagine the sound might well be spectacular. However, if Rhino is doing the reissues of the Final Four, chances are they will be better than any LP to CD transfer. If it were another company, I might be inclined to just copy my LPs, and manually edit out any big pops or clicks if they occur on the old records. Most people don't have the equipment to get the best out of LPs, but after a long time without a phono cartridge, I recently started listening to LPs again, and am astounded and very pleased at the quality of the sound.

Legally, you can copy your own LPs for your own use. The artist has already received royalties from the original purchase. I don't see why there is a moral obligation to pay the artist another music royalty when purchasing music in a new format. I've double-payed a lot of artists by purchasing CDs when I had already purchased the LP. Frankly, I resent it. Not only that, but CDs are more expensive than LPs were, so you are paying a higher royalty than on the original releases that you bought.

Old 02-17-2002, 02:38 AM   #34
joveski

i agree there. and keep in mind that the final 4 aren't YET available on CD, so no one is losing any money (unless you don't buy them when they come out)
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 10:43 AM   #35
Brenda

quote:Originally posted by Gary:

Gary:
I'm not sure whether or not Lightfoot was involved in this project as he was in "Songbook". "Anything For Love" didn't appear there either. Lightfoot is a firm believer in consistency. "Anything for Love" is such a radical departure from most of the rest of his music, that he or Thane Tierney at Rhino may have ommitted it for that reason. Only Barry Keane and Mike Heffernan appear on the "East of Midnight" album, while the rest of the players were L.A. studio musicians. As far as I know it is the only song Lightfoot co-wrote (with David Foster) to make it on an album. Plus, he didn't play on the instrumental track.

It is a fine tune. It's just not what most Lightfoot fans are used to.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 10:43 AM   #36
Westernstar9

quote:Originally posted by Gary:

Gary:
I'm not sure whether or not Lightfoot was involved in this project as he was in "Songbook". "Anything For Love" didn't appear there either. Lightfoot is a firm believer in consistency. "Anything for Love" is such a radical departure from most of the rest of his music, that he or Thane Tierney at Rhino may have ommitted it for that reason. Only Barry Keane and Mike Heffernan appear on the "East of Midnight" album, while the rest of the players were L.A. studio musicians. As far as I know it is the only song Lightfoot co-wrote (with David Foster) to make it on an album. Plus, he didn't play on the instrumental track.

It is a fine tune. It's just not what most Lightfoot fans are used to.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 01:35 AM   #37
mtheeb

On future presses of EAST OF MIDNIGHT, "Anything For Love" ought to be permanently replaced by "Always On The Bright Side," that's how much I despise the former and adore the latter.
mtheeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 01:35 AM   #38
Restless

On future presses of EAST OF MIDNIGHT, "Anything For Love" ought to be permanently replaced by "Always On The Bright Side," that's how much I despise the former and adore the latter.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 05:46 PM   #39
SilverHeels

I dont 'despise' any Lightfoot composition
but I agree with Restless about 'Always on the Bright Side'
I usually put it on repeat - that's how much
I love it!
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:10 AM   #40
Brenda

"Always On The Bright Side" is a very pleasant tune. But I compare it with a case of "Highway Hypnosis" I once suffered while driving through Oregon on I-5. It was a nice ride, but I don't remember much of it.

As long as were talking about subsitituting one song for another, I seem to recall a time about 20 years ago when albums (not just Lightfoot's) were released with 11 or 12 tracks. Now 10 is the standard and the thought of releasing an album with more than 10 is almost heresy. Anyone know why this is? (Both tunes could have been included)

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:10 AM   #41
Westernstar9

"Always On The Bright Side" is a very pleasant tune. But I compare it with a case of "Highway Hypnosis" I once suffered while driving through Oregon on I-5. It was a nice ride, but I don't remember much of it.

As long as were talking about subsitituting one song for another, I seem to recall a time about 20 years ago when albums (not just Lightfoot's) were released with 11 or 12 tracks. Now 10 is the standard and the thought of releasing an album with more than 10 is almost heresy. Anyone know why this is? (Both tunes could have been included)

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 09:40 PM   #42
mtheeb

The (best ever) Beatles released albums with 14 or so songs...sometimes twice a year! If you're a great and prolific band or artist, why not include as much material as possible, especially now that CDs can hold almost 80 minutes worth? A band such as U2 may be talented, but releasing an album every five years doesn't impress me. 13 (mostly exceptional) albums in about 8 years DOES. Studio time is expensive, to be sure, but too many artists these days fuss with fancy 24-track (or more?) sound gadgets; George Martin worked miracles, quickly and professionally, with (at most, as I recall) 8 recording tracks, often less. That being said, I won't name them here, but there certainly are many fine contemporary (adult alternative) bands that release albums containing more than a dozen songs and 40-60 minutes of music. What top-forty groups/artists are doing these days, I cannot say. Now in my late 30s, I've turned away from pop music and embraced classical, which offers far more God-inspired beauty...but that's a different topic.
mtheeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 09:40 PM   #43
Restless

The (best ever) Beatles released albums with 14 or so songs...sometimes twice a year! If you're a great and prolific band or artist, why not include as much material as possible, especially now that CDs can hold almost 80 minutes worth? A band such as U2 may be talented, but releasing an album every five years doesn't impress me. 13 (mostly exceptional) albums in about 8 years DOES. Studio time is expensive, to be sure, but too many artists these days fuss with fancy 24-track (or more?) sound gadgets; George Martin worked miracles, quickly and professionally, with (at most, as I recall) 8 recording tracks, often less. That being said, I won't name them here, but there certainly are many fine contemporary (adult alternative) bands that release albums containing more than a dozen songs and 40-60 minutes of music. What top-forty groups/artists are doing these days, I cannot say. Now in my late 30s, I've turned away from pop music and embraced classical, which offers far more God-inspired beauty...but that's a different topic.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:57 PM   #44
gatturaje

Below is an email from the list moderator on Yahoo for David Mallett. David Mallett has taken upon himself to release his first three LP's on CD's. Maybe Mr. Lightfoot can do the same if he really wants those remainng 4 to be put out CD for distribution, either in stores or at concerts. Of course, Gordon Lightfoot probably has a bigger fan base that David Mallett. I have ordered my 3 David Mallett CD's. Good for David Mallett to do this. I hope Gordon Lightfoot could do the same, but I guess he doesn't own the master tapes? Anyway, if there are any Malett fans reading this, CD's are limited to 1000 each. Act now! Information below.

Mike Marmer
Germantown, MD

Hi everyone!

I am SO excited to announce that we will be releasing Dave's first
three albums on CD in mid-April!

The albums are:
"David Mallett" (1978)
"Pennsylvania Sunrise" (1979)
"Hard Light" (1981)

These albums have been only available as LP's or tapes, and have been
out-of-print for a number of years now. They were produced by Paul
Stookey (of Peter, Paul & Mary) for his label, Neworld Media, Blue
Hill, Maine. The albums are NOT being re-mixed, and the audio
quality is OUTSTANDING!!!

We are producing a limited edition of 1,000 copies of each album, and
giving first notice of their availibility to Mallett fans at shows
and on this chat group. YOU are the people who have given so much
support and encouragement to Dave over the years.

Price for each CD will be $20 (including shipping), or $50 for all 3
CD's. You can order CD's directly from me at the following address:

tomgordon@avportland.com

Since this is a self-produced (and therefore, self-financed!)
project, we are encouraging fans to pre-order these CD's. They will
NOT be available through Rounder Records.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. As always, we welcome your
comments and support.

For Mallett Music,
Tom Gordon
List Moderator

gatturaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:57 PM   #45
Mike M

Below is an email from the list moderator on Yahoo for David Mallett. David Mallett has taken upon himself to release his first three LP's on CD's. Maybe Mr. Lightfoot can do the same if he really wants those remainng 4 to be put out CD for distribution, either in stores or at concerts. Of course, Gordon Lightfoot probably has a bigger fan base that David Mallett. I have ordered my 3 David Mallett CD's. Good for David Mallett to do this. I hope Gordon Lightfoot could do the same, but I guess he doesn't own the master tapes? Anyway, if there are any Malett fans reading this, CD's are limited to 1000 each. Act now! Information below.

Mike Marmer
Germantown, MD

Hi everyone!

I am SO excited to announce that we will be releasing Dave's first
three albums on CD in mid-April!

The albums are:
"David Mallett" (1978)
"Pennsylvania Sunrise" (1979)
"Hard Light" (1981)

These albums have been only available as LP's or tapes, and have been
out-of-print for a number of years now. They were produced by Paul
Stookey (of Peter, Paul & Mary) for his label, Neworld Media, Blue
Hill, Maine. The albums are NOT being re-mixed, and the audio
quality is OUTSTANDING!!!

We are producing a limited edition of 1,000 copies of each album, and
giving first notice of their availibility to Mallett fans at shows
and on this chat group. YOU are the people who have given so much
support and encouragement to Dave over the years.

Price for each CD will be $20 (including shipping), or $50 for all 3
CD's. You can order CD's directly from me at the following address:

tomgordon@avportland.com

Since this is a self-produced (and therefore, self-financed!)
project, we are encouraging fans to pre-order these CD's. They will
NOT be available through Rounder Records.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. As always, we welcome your
comments and support.

For Mallett Music,
Tom Gordon
List Moderator

Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:09 PM   #46
2Much2Lose

I'll delurk for a moment to say that I ordered mine this afternoon. It will be wonderful to hear some of these songs again, I have them on vinyl but haven't played them for a long time. The first time I heard Dave Mallett, I thought it was an early Lightfoot tune I'd somehow missed. That was back in 1978, and he's still my second favorite singer!
Jenney
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:09 PM   #47
Jenney

I'll delurk for a moment to say that I ordered mine this afternoon. It will be wonderful to hear some of these songs again, I have them on vinyl but haven't played them for a long time. The first time I heard Dave Mallett, I thought it was an early Lightfoot tune I'd somehow missed. That was back in 1978, and he's still my second favorite singer!
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 03:58 PM   #48
gatturaje

For Dave Mallett to do this for his fan base is wonderful and a verg big financial upfront expense for him.

I hope his sells all 3000 CD's quickly. That will show the record labels in the world who are so controlling on the master tapes they own.
gatturaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 03:58 PM   #49
Mike M

For Dave Mallett to do this for his fan base is wonderful and a verg big financial upfront expense for him.

I hope his sells all 3000 CD's quickly. That will show the record labels in the world who are so controlling on the master tapes they own.
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote