banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2002, 09:58 PM   #501
john w

oh yeah,
4)spanish moss
Old 05-06-2002, 09:58 PM   #502
john w

oh yeah,
4)spanish moss
Old 05-08-2002, 02:18 PM   #503
girl monkey

When I was very little my mother would sing The Ponyman to me, and it has always been one of my favorite songs of all time. I hear it and feel very comforted. I probably wouldn't even know who Gordon Lightfoot was if I didn't know that song.
Now I'm a mother too, and my little baby boy lights up when he hears The Ponyman.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:18 PM   #504
girl monkey

When I was very little my mother would sing The Ponyman to me, and it has always been one of my favorite songs of all time. I hear it and feel very comforted. I probably wouldn't even know who Gordon Lightfoot was if I didn't know that song.
Now I'm a mother too, and my little baby boy lights up when he hears The Ponyman.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:18 PM   #505
tmccfarq@cs.com

I just recently listened to "Restless". One of the finest songs I've ever heard. I get teary eyed every time I listen to it. It really makes me think about my dad. Thanks Gordon. Tony
Old 05-08-2002, 06:18 PM   #506
tmccfarq@cs.com

I just recently listened to "Restless". One of the finest songs I've ever heard. I get teary eyed every time I listen to it. It really makes me think about my dad. Thanks Gordon. Tony
Old 05-08-2002, 07:36 PM   #507
TheWatchman

Restless is absolutely terrific. It sure does stir some emotions. Reminds me of my Dad and all the things we used to do together. My father is still alive (I'm only 30) but both of our jobs have us busy all the time. We used to hunt, shoot, go boating and hang out almost every day.

"Restless" reminds me of those times and brings back memories just like they were yesterday. But there is a feeling that I can only describe as homesick, that stirs underneath. Life is full of changes...some for the better, some not. This song reminds me of all the good times we have had together and of a way of life that used to be. My job keeps me away from home for 3 weeks per month is not conducive to any kind of family life. Up until two years ago, my Dad, brother and I hung out everyday. All of our jobs don't allow that anymore.

[This message has been edited by TheWatchman (edited May 08, 2002).]
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 09:04 PM   #508
Heliotrope

There are so many favorite GL songs; however, the ones that mean the most to me are some of his older ones...Sundown, If You Could Read My Mind and a very special one, Whisper My Name. I have been trying to get that song on CD, however, the Dream Street Rose album is not on CD and I haven't seen it in any of his collections. Anyone else partial to that song? We used it for our wedding...I guess that is why it is so meaningful. Just love so many of his songs and the insight into life that they reflect.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:04 PM   #509
Heliotrope

There are so many favorite GL songs; however, the ones that mean the most to me are some of his older ones...Sundown, If You Could Read My Mind and a very special one, Whisper My Name. I have been trying to get that song on CD, however, the Dream Street Rose album is not on CD and I haven't seen it in any of his collections. Anyone else partial to that song? We used it for our wedding...I guess that is why it is so meaningful. Just love so many of his songs and the insight into life that they reflect.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:04 PM   #510
Brian 57

quote:Originally posted by girl monkey:

My kids-- my seven year old daughter in particular-- love to hear The Pony Man. It's a great bed-time song. I put their names in the line "and as we gaily walk along beside a rippling sea, there's ...". With six kids, parents, grandparents, friends, and pets it sometimes seems longer than the rest of the song.
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 07:56 AM   #511
TheWatchman

That's cool to read stuff like this. Thanks for posting.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 08:24 PM   #512
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Watchman,
Congratulations on being the 300th posting to this thread.
My favorite has long been "Second Cup of Coffee" or actually the ENTIRE Don Quixote album which I have always thought of as one LONG song. (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it)

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 07:40 PM   #513
Gmeredith

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]

Old 06-24-2002, 07:40 PM   #514
Gmeredith

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]

Old 06-24-2002, 07:51 PM   #515
wissel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Florian:
[B]What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

There is ONLY one Lightfoot song -- CRT (Canadian Railway Trilogy), though his naval tragedy -- NO NOT EDMUND FITZGERALD! -- Yarmouth Castle is a close second. Now, why...

CRT is like K2 and Everest...because it is there. There is no other folk song that is so complete, complex and simple...all at the same time. I have been blessed to hear it live three different times and still shiver at the rememberance. This song IS Lightfoot...all that follow the man should know that.

Yarmouth Castle...I do not understand why he does not do this in concert, it is fantastic! Like Fitzgerald is based in fact, but is a much better, though realistically sadder, tale. This should be his number two song.

Number three...well I only have eight suggestions!

"Remember my unsettled ways.." and peace to all.

------------------
wissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 07:51 PM   #516
Traded Off

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Florian:
[B]What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

There is ONLY one Lightfoot song -- CRT (Canadian Railway Trilogy), though his naval tragedy -- NO NOT EDMUND FITZGERALD! -- Yarmouth Castle is a close second. Now, why...

CRT is like K2 and Everest...because it is there. There is no other folk song that is so complete, complex and simple...all at the same time. I have been blessed to hear it live three different times and still shiver at the rememberance. This song IS Lightfoot...all that follow the man should know that.

Yarmouth Castle...I do not understand why he does not do this in concert, it is fantastic! Like Fitzgerald is based in fact, but is a much better, though realistically sadder, tale. This should be his number two song.

Number three...well I only have eight suggestions!

"Remember my unsettled ways.." and peace to all.

------------------
Traded Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 09:31 AM   #517
telekidd

Most days I feel like I want to be a Ring Neck Loon. That's my favorite song by GL. I have a Martin D18GL guitar and I often play it along while listening to the cd and looking on the wall at my GL signature on a painting entitled "Every Man Knew"...

City life is what I see
City life is the life for me
Ring neck loon away off shore
How could anybody ask for more

Larry
telekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 09:31 AM   #518
wissel

Most days I feel like I want to be a Ring Neck Loon. That's my favorite song by GL. I have a Martin D18GL guitar and I often play it along while listening to the cd and looking on the wall at my GL signature on a painting entitled "Every Man Knew"...

City life is what I see
City life is the life for me
Ring neck loon away off shore
How could anybody ask for more

Larry
wissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 12:14 AM   #519
guitarman

My favorite is the theme from the 1982 Bruce Dern film "Harry Tracey, Desperado." The melody plays throughout the film and Gordon Lightfoot sings it at the end.I just don't know the name of it. If anyone does, please post it.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:14 AM   #520
guitarman

My favorite is the theme from the 1982 Bruce Dern film "Harry Tracey, Desperado." The melody plays throughout the film and Gordon Lightfoot sings it at the end.I just don't know the name of it. If anyone does, please post it.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:51 PM   #521
Steve W.

I know this one has been overdone, but it has some very significant meaning in my life. "If You Could Read My Mind" was the song I was strumming and singing late one night on a park bench on the campus of a southern college 25 years ago. A girl I had been flirting with was walking by and she stopped and listened. A week later she went out with me. In June we celebrated 21 years of marriage and we have three children.

It might seem strange that a song about breaking up and a broken love relationship could muster up thoughts of romance in the mind of a young girl, but hey.....whatever works!
Old 08-04-2002, 10:51 PM   #522
Steve W.

I know this one has been overdone, but it has some very significant meaning in my life. "If You Could Read My Mind" was the song I was strumming and singing late one night on a park bench on the campus of a southern college 25 years ago. A girl I had been flirting with was walking by and she stopped and listened. A week later she went out with me. In June we celebrated 21 years of marriage and we have three children.

It might seem strange that a song about breaking up and a broken love relationship could muster up thoughts of romance in the mind of a young girl, but hey.....whatever works!
Old 08-07-2002, 07:47 PM   #523
Alton Corey

I like so many of them GL is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. I love 70's period of music. Anyway, some of the songs I like are Rainy Day People, Sundown, CareFree Highway, WOTEFG, and If You Could Read MY Mind.....
Alton Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 07:47 PM   #524
brannon

I like so many of them GL is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. I love 70's period of music. Anyway, some of the songs I like are Rainy Day People, Sundown, CareFree Highway, WOTEFG, and If You Could Read MY Mind.....
brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 12:00 PM   #525
AdamB

My top dog is "Christian Island." Being a sailor since my early days, this song takes me to places for which only Gord, Jimmy Buffett and David Crosby know the course!