banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 05-30-2003, 09:59 PM   #26
TheWatchman

#2 is Johnny Cash.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:52 PM   #27
violet Blue Horse

John Hiatt

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 05-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #28
Borderstone

Looking back on this,I really don't have a #2 anymore. Male or female. I like Gordon & Mariah's songs so much,the others take quite a distant second,even though I like them too.

Pretty complex.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #29
Jesse Joe

My number 2 is American, John Mellencamp. After that any good Canadian songwriter. Plus Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, there again the list is too long. :D
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #30
Affair on Touhy Ave.

For sometime now I've been quite interested in Lou Rawls I'm sure part of it is due to the fact he was a native Chicagoan which is where I'm from. He had some pretty good 60s material which probably hasn't stood the test of time as well as his 70s songs like Lady Love and You'll Never Find.

1 I particualerly like is Dead End Street which was baisicly about him growing up in Chicago. While some stations might of edited this out he gives this spoken intro at the beginning saying I was born in a place they call they windy city, They call it that because of the Hawk. The Might Hawk. etc.

Also he sang backup on Sam Cookes 1963 hit Bring On Home To Me and also cut his own version of it in 1970.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #31
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

NO.2 John Hiatt
NO.3 would be this local guy, David Elias. He rocks the house!
Take a listen here: http://www.davidelias.com.
Janice, you may want to book him when he is in your area. You won't be disappointed.
Kimberly
Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 PM   #32
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by byKimberly:
NO.3 would be this local guy, David Elias.
Janice, you may want to book him when he is in your area. You won't be disappointed.
Kimberly
Listened to some of his clips and I'm now listening to the webcast of David Elias & Xing. Love it all!

Already ordered two of David's CDs - they'll be here in a couple of days.

Even though I might be a converted fan, I can't guarantee that enough of San Diego would come out to a concert if we booked him, but I will make sure Carey (the talent buyer) hears the CDs. I tell ya, San Diego is a fickle little town for as large a city as it is
Old 05-24-2006, 11:44 PM   #33
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Janice, Everyone that listens to them ends up a fan. The neat thing is that he surrounds himself with topnotch musicians and they all seem to be in heaven while they play. Dave is very non-controlling and so everyone does what they love and it's infectious to the audience. He has like 3 different sets of musicians that play with him on a regular basis. One includes a monster electric guitar player, another a pedal steel player, and another that has played or plays keyboard with Todd Rundgren. They may already have a following in SD. Who knows? Did you see all his awards?
Kimberly
Old 05-25-2006, 01:23 AM   #34
joveski

actually Dylan is my favourite.

Wilco come 2nd
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:32 AM   #35
<jbt>

phils ochs- he and gord are reversible for me, the whole mood thing again!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:15 AM   #36
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by byKimberly:
Janice, Everyone that listens to them ends up a fan. The neat thing is that he surrounds himself with topnotch musicians and they all seem to be in heaven while they play. Dave is very non-controlling and so everyone does what they love and it's infectious to the audience. He has like 3 different sets of musicians that play with him on a regular basis. One includes a monster electric guitar player, another a pedal steel player, and another that has played or plays keyboard with Todd Rundgren. They may already have a following in SD. Who knows? Did you see all his awards?
Kimberly
Unfortunately, the biggest problem here in San Diego is getting folks to come out to hear someone they're not already familiar with. It seems they would rather stay home and watch Lavern and Shirly reruns instead of taking advantage of our money back guarantee and giving someone "new" the chance to WOW them

That's one of Carey's biggest frustrations when trying to fill our calendar.

I did notice his awards. I also noticed on his tour page, that he doesn't seem to venture very far south - as a matter of fact all of his gigs listed through September of this year are within 50 miles of San Francisco. Which is no big deal other than one of the major factors in booking an act is that they have to be touring in the area to begin with - or be close enough to home to make it financially worth the round trip. It serves no benefit to the performer to book a gig in San Diego unless they have multiple gigs between here and home.

That said and with no promises, I'll still loan Carey the CDs I bought and have him listen, because I know he'll enjoy the music even if nothing else comes of it.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:17 PM   #37
Borderstone

It's a thing of the local music business that,really,mostly young people want to give new acts a chance. People in their late 20's & their 30s on up,just aren't as interested.

Even I can't say that I'd go see a new act. Then again,I was never much for clubs.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #38
DJ in MJ

As I've said before, GL and Al Stewart are my top two and they are interchangable. As for a list of the runners up in no particlular order...

Poco, Rush, Murray McLauchlan, Richard and Linda Thompson, Bert Jansch, Enya, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Harry Nilsson, Twisted Sister, and Gerry Rafferty.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:42 AM   #39
DJ in MJ

See my above post to test your reading skills. Pass/fail only. No middle marks. :D
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #40
Jesse Joe

John Mellencamp.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:10 PM   #41
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
It's a thing of the local music business that,really,mostly young people want to give new acts a chance. People in their late 20's & their 30s on up,just aren't as interested.

Even I can't say that I'd go see a new act. Then again,I was never much for clubs.
Ah, but we don't book local music acts - we book National and International performers - who are not new acts, just sometimes new to our concert goers. Plus, our venue isn't a club - we have a listening room type venue. We actually do a good job booking some well known folks who sell out our 250 seat venue, but it's those acts who sell out in other parts of the country, but are unkown in our little world, that pose the problem. They are really great, but because we don't have any good independent radio stations that play good music - all we get is the Clear Channel pablem - the folks around here aren't familiar with them. The nice thing is, that the people who have come to trust us and know that Carey wouldn't book someone who wasn't great, and who do take the chance are always glad they did. We just wish there were more of them
Old 06-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #42
Janice

Jesse-Joe, I too like John Mellencamp! I even liked him back when he was known as John Cougar. One of my favorite albums of his was released under the John Cougar name - the album is "Nothing Matters And What If It Did?" Great album...I love the hit from it, "Ain't Even Done With The Night" plus there were other really good songs on it.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 AM   #43
SherylKat

Default Re: Your #2 Favorite Singer/Band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaiblue View Post
We know Gordon Lightfoot is your #1 favorite, but who is your #2 favorite singer or band and why? Are they as close to resembling GL as possible or do they offer you a complete contrast to his style (e.g. Nine Inch Nails)?

Sorry, you only get to pick one #2 fave, no laundry list. It's tough, but if you were on a deserted island with only GL's entire collection, which one other collection would you need to have? Hurry, your ship is sinking...

[This message has been edited by supaiblue (edited November 10, 2000).]
Since Char took the most obvious, I'd say Crosby, Stills & Nash, for "Southern Cross"! Where I'll be in 29 days! OMG - I can hardly stand it!

SherylKat
Old 11-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #44
Jim Nasium

Of course Gordon reigns supreme, but my No. 2 is Tom Russell. I always make a point of catching him in concert when he tours over here (UK) he does small intimate venues, interacts with the audience and writes great songs.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #45
KHester

A couple more names to consider, Larry Gatlin his early albums were great, just try to get through listening to Penny Annie, or It Must Have rained in Heaven on Cruxification Day, without thinking about these songs afterwords.

Don Francisco probably best known for He's Alive, his way of turning a passage from the bible into a song is something else. Listen to "She's one of the walking wounded " on
you tube and tell me it doesn't affect you

Kevin
Old 11-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #46
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHester View Post
A couple more names to consider, Larry Gatlin his early albums were great, just try to get through listening to Penny Annie, or It Must Have rained in Heaven on Cruxification Day, without thinking about these songs afterwords.

Don Francisco probably best known for He's Alive, his way of turning a passage from the bible into a song is something else. Listen to "She's one of the walking wounded " on
you tube and tell me it doesn't affect you

Kevin
Larry Gatlin- wow - he's great. I saw him and his brothers in concert way way back when..
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #47
KHester

Here's another Roger Whittaker famous for "The Last Farewell" . Gordon did some whistling on some of his early songs. Ribbon of Darknesss for one. But it would be hard to beat Roger Whittaker for whistling talent.

Kevin
Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #48
Jesse Joe

Roger Whittaker, here is a guy that I always liked. Great 12 string guitar player, incredible voice, and of course the whistling is unbelievable !

He has enjoyed so much to play in CANADA his entire carrer, that he wrote a great song for this country, entitled "CANADA IS."

Maybe only Gordon Lightfoot could have written something as beautiful as this GEM !
Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #49
Jesse Joe

Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #50
Jesse Joe