banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-30-2001, 09:38 AM   #1
MartinD18

Does anybody know if this song is about a particular event? And if so, what? Or is it just made up?
MartinD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 09:38 AM   #2
bhil3

Does anybody know if this song is about a particular event? And if so, what? Or is it just made up?
bhil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 11:13 AM   #3
WillieMaysFan

Black Day in July is about the riots that occurred in Detroit in the summer of 1967. Apparently, police raided a black club and things got out of hand. It went on for a few days and the military was called in to restore order. It was very violent, many business were destroyed, and about 43 people were killed. You can find a lot of information about the event just by doing an internet search for Detroit riots or 1967 Detroit riots. Incidently, I read an interview with Gord in which he indicated that he doesn't play that song anymore since it is such a sensitive issue.
WillieMaysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 11:13 AM   #4
young stranger

Black Day in July is about the riots that occurred in Detroit in the summer of 1967. Apparently, police raided a black club and things got out of hand. It went on for a few days and the military was called in to restore order. It was very violent, many business were destroyed, and about 43 people were killed. You can find a lot of information about the event just by doing an internet search for Detroit riots or 1967 Detroit riots. Incidently, I read an interview with Gord in which he indicated that he doesn't play that song anymore since it is such a sensitive issue.
young stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 11:39 AM   #5
MartinD18

ah, that makes sense. I remember when I was a young lad that my parents and I were in detroit visiting and they just barely got out before some horrible race riots got out of hand. I wonder if that was it? Thanks for the info, my wife has an old l.p. with that on it, and I hear it on an oldies station once in a great while.
MartinD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 11:39 AM   #6
bhil3

ah, that makes sense. I remember when I was a young lad that my parents and I were in detroit visiting and they just barely got out before some horrible race riots got out of hand. I wonder if that was it? Thanks for the info, my wife has an old l.p. with that on it, and I hear it on an oldies station once in a great while.
bhil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 04:34 AM   #7
Brenda

Gord could write about another source of riots in Detroit:
The Tigers winning the World Series
The Pistons winning the NBA Championship
For all the glee surrounding this, it got pretty ugly.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 04:34 AM   #8
Westernstar9

Gord could write about another source of riots in Detroit:
The Tigers winning the World Series
The Pistons winning the NBA Championship
For all the glee surrounding this, it got pretty ugly.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #9
custom culture

about 40 african americans and other immigrants were murdered during the riots. A 4 year old black girl was shot! most of these people were killed for no reason exept for being african american.

William N Dalton died 7/26/67 at 12:45am. Walking the streets after 9:30pm, Dalton was accused by the police of being a curfew violator. At this point, he was allegedly marched for a few feet, shoved against a wall, and told to run if he wanted. He refused to run. A policeman fired a shot into Willie, from close range. The police report claimed that he was an arsonist and was attempting to flee from the police. When instructed to halt, he kept moving and was shot. The police report lists his death as a “Justifiable Homicide”.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #10
custom culture

about 40 african americans and other immigrants were murdered during the riots. A 4 year old black girl was shot! most of these people were killed for no reason exept for being african american.

William N Dalton died 7/26/67 at 12:45am. Walking the streets after 9:30pm, Dalton was accused by the police of being a curfew violator. At this point, he was allegedly marched for a few feet, shoved against a wall, and told to run if he wanted. He refused to run. A policeman fired a shot into Willie, from close range. The police report claimed that he was an arsonist and was attempting to flee from the police. When instructed to halt, he kept moving and was shot. The police report lists his death as a “Justifiable Homicide”.

Old 10-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
Boat House AKA member

Send a message via ICQ to Boat House AKA member

I would think he meant a bad day when he sings black day. The word black in this case has nothing to do with race.

Gord has always been aware in his songs of those who are mistreated or the "have-nots". Many of his songs deal with these social issues
Boat House AKA member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #12
Kilgore

I would think he meant a bad day when he sings black day. The word black in this case has nothing to do with race.

Gord has always been aware in his songs of those who are mistreated or the "have-nots". Many of his songs deal with these social issues
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:40 PM   #13
miketouhy

you know i was just thinking recently because Gordon wasn't all that well know in the US in the 60s and had not this song been banned, i wonder if there might of been a possibility this might have beena breakthrough hit for him? and not IYCRMML. correct me if but abreviation is wrong. sometimes i've heard when a song or album get's so much conterversey, it will get people's attention and makes them wanna buy it.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:40 PM   #14
miketouhy

you know i was just thinking recently because Gordon wasn't all that well know in the US in the 60s and had not this song been banned, i wonder if there might of been a possibility this might have beena breakthrough hit for him? and not IYCRMML. correct me if but abreviation is wrong. sometimes i've heard when a song or album get's so much conterversey, it will get people's attention and makes them wanna buy it.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 PM   #15
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by young stranger:
wonder why he would stop playing it just because of that?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 PM   #16
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by young stranger:
wonder why he would stop playing it just because of that?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:10 AM   #17
Auburn Annie

Probably stopped playing in later years because it's one of the few songs he's written that is so very topical, and if you weren't there (in the 60s) it has less resonance. Love songs, meanwhile, are timeless.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:10 AM   #18
Auburn Annie

Probably stopped playing in later years because it's one of the few songs he's written that is so very topical, and if you weren't there (in the 60s) it has less resonance. Love songs, meanwhile, are timeless.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:46 PM   #19
Flossie

I remember this song and its era very well. In fact, this was the song that got me interested in Lightfoot.
As children we were taken to Detroit summers on vacation...we even stayed one of the main riot points, the Algiers Motel. After 1967 we were never taken back again. There was considerable discussion & backlash at the time regarding this song...especially with the many race riots in the summer of '68. Since LIghtfoot had lived in Detroit, I assume he wrote this from a personal point of view. I was working in a radio station in the early 70's and remember hearing that stations in the US had been told by their management not to play it...so I went and bought the album...and still have it!!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:46 PM   #20
Flossie

I remember this song and its era very well. In fact, this was the song that got me interested in Lightfoot.
As children we were taken to Detroit summers on vacation...we even stayed one of the main riot points, the Algiers Motel. After 1967 we were never taken back again. There was considerable discussion & backlash at the time regarding this song...especially with the many race riots in the summer of '68. Since LIghtfoot had lived in Detroit, I assume he wrote this from a personal point of view. I was working in a radio station in the early 70's and remember hearing that stations in the US had been told by their management not to play it...so I went and bought the album...and still have it!!
Old 01-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #21
miketouhy

you know hearing the song for the 1st time today, the song sounds a little strange though it's not a bad song either. he keeps repeating the title of the songs and while it's not unusual in most songs to have the title of them to be repeated, in this case it does. the totle also seems odd. i probably would of called it Riots In Detroit or Summertime Riots.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #22
miketouhy

you know hearing the song for the 1st time today, the song sounds a little strange though it's not a bad song either. he keeps repeating the title of the songs and while it's not unusual in most songs to have the title of them to be repeated, in this case it does. the totle also seems odd. i probably would of called it Riots In Detroit or Summertime Riots.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #23
Iron

bhil3...as in phony as a 3 dollal bhil??
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #24
Sidney Freedmen

Another contreversial song Gordie wrote is Heavan Help The Devil. It is about the Iranian prisioners. I just wish there was a cure for the common war.

------------------
Sidney Freedmen

'Sit Down Young Stranger' and visit The Home Page Of Gordon Lightfoot
Sidney Freedmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:09 AM   #25
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by Sidney Freedmen:
Another contreversial song Gordie wrote is Heavan Help The Devil. It is about the Iranian prisioners. I just wish there was a cure for the common war.

you mean "about the hostages held by the Iranians" right ?

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote