banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
lazymorning

Has anyone heard this version of Song for a Winter's Night? At our local Home Depot, there were Christmas CDs at the counter and I noticed on the cover of one.... Sarah McLachlan's "Song for a Winter's Night". I may pick it up this week. And...I wonder if that damn clicking sound is on her version? lol
Old 11-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Andrea

No it's not on her version. She does a lovely job on the song. She recorded it several years back for something and I think she may have rerecorded it for this new Christmas album.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
brink-

Hi Lazy -
Try this out, it is a great song. This is the way that one of the finalists on Canadian Idol sang SFAWN.

brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Old Folkie

The Sarah M version is beautiful and it's on iTunes if you want to get it without buying the whole cd.
Old Folkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Jesse Joe

CP

http://www.canadaeast.com/tt/life/ar...rticleID=73932
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
patybear

Just my 2 cents worth here gang:The video is ok.
I can't stand Sarah McLachlans version of the song.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
TheWatchman

I have this CD and it's fantastic. Her version of SFAWN is great. The backing vocals with the effects took a couple listens for me to "get it" though. She did a great job with the song and kept Lightfoot's orginal feeling throughout.

This CD, "Wintersong", is mostly traditional Christmas songs, but also has some songs about winter and love sprinkled here and there. The title song is amazing.

You can check out some of the songs from this CD on her Myspace page @ http://www.myspace.com/sarahmclachlan
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #8
Andrea

I agree with TheWatchman, Wintersong is a beautiful CD. The only other Christmas disc I like more than that one right now is The Moody Blues' December.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
jj

she performed The River ("wish i had a river i could skate away on...") on Leno few weeks back, if forgot how talented she was, great arrangement, and the band's subtle treatment... great taste

otherwise, not the fan i was earlier on, just oversaturated myself at some point, i suppose (I've done so with Gord also a few times but only takes a month before my Gord tank is crying for a refill

brink, i liked the Idol kid (Theresa Syksomethinga?) but couldn't take her (nor Sarah's) over-whimpering vocal for SFAWN ...give me Gord's metronome version anyday over these, or for that matter, over his latter recording(s)

if i heard Sarah do SFAWN live with either her guitar or at the piano then i might change my take but i still haven't got used to that production

thought she recorded SFAWN about 10-12 years ago on that B Sides CD? hope it's a fresh new arrangement recording you guys are speaking of, I must check it out

i'd predict her kid will have a 'bit' of talent someday ...the dad keeps good time

if ya can't play well or at all, keep them guitars in perfect tune and keep good time ...Gord said something like that as i recall anyhow, and i'm the poster child for that line
jj is offline   Reply With Quote