banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-01-2002, 05:25 AM   #1
Gord

Hmmm I haven't posted in some time but the recent announcement of yet another Greatist Hits package kind of boggles my mind. Don't get me wrong I am alwaya glad to see anything new from Gordon Lightfoot being released, but I was counting on a completely new package all together since Gord's Gold Vol2. With the advent of CD burners in most peoples homes these days, most people I suspect would rather burn their own disk than to get a rehash of something that has basically been put out before.

I may be shot down in flames in here on this one but after hearing the final four were yet again pushed back I simply had enough.... I just went and made my own CD's. The needle on my old turntable is still good so I just converted my last LP's digitally into CD's.

If anyone from Reprise reads this I say get with it.... people are sick of waiting for these CD's to come out........ they will make their own as I have.

Old 02-01-2002, 05:25 AM   #2
Gord

Hmmm I haven't posted in some time but the recent announcement of yet another Greatist Hits package kind of boggles my mind. Don't get me wrong I am alwaya glad to see anything new from Gordon Lightfoot being released, but I was counting on a completely new package all together since Gord's Gold Vol2. With the advent of CD burners in most peoples homes these days, most people I suspect would rather burn their own disk than to get a rehash of something that has basically been put out before.

I may be shot down in flames in here on this one but after hearing the final four were yet again pushed back I simply had enough.... I just went and made my own CD's. The needle on my old turntable is still good so I just converted my last LP's digitally into CD's.

If anyone from Reprise reads this I say get with it.... people are sick of waiting for these CD's to come out........ they will make their own as I have.

Old 02-01-2002, 08:16 AM   #3
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

I will restrain myself from saying what I think about your comments. Flames is putting it kindly.

The planned new CD from Rhino is NOT a rehash of anything. It is the first and only single CD collection that puts together Gord's greatest hits. It uses the original recording (with the exception of The Circle Is Small). It will be remastered (including four songs not yet remastered). Maybe you don't want to buy it. That's fine. But a lot of us will. And there are probably a few hundred thousand people who don't have a Gord album at all, like two or three of the hits, and will be thrilled to have the choice of a single CD with ALL of the big songs. Perhaps that isn't you. Fine. And, for what it's worth, this CD will make a very nice gift item for those of us who like to give our friends good music but can't afford to buy all their friends a boxed set.

The only albums that can be described as "rehashes" are all the reissues of Gord's UA material. EMI has been doing that for years, and I would guess that Gord doesn't like it either. Those albums contain random tracks from the pre-1970 albums and I don't generally recommend them to people because they would have to duplicate tracks in order to get everything should they ever wish to. And for the most part, the albums themselves have little to recommend them, although the recent Singer/Songwriter CD is rather attractive.

But the new Complete Greatest Hits album is nothing like that. It has an excellent selection of songs from throughout his career, pulling together UA and WB tracks for the first time on a single CD (Songbook was the first time, as a boxed set).

As far as the Final Four, first of all it is Rhino that is doing the reissues, and not Reprise. They are part of the same AOL Time Warner enterprise yes, but Rhino is the part of the company that does catalog releases, and they do a fine job of it. If you think that your homemade CD-Rs, "mastered" off the LPs and perhaps "edited" by you, is anything like what Rhino will be releasing, then perhaps you will be satisfied with them. Most of the rest of us will buy the Rhino CDs the day they come out.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL web site at gordonlightfoot.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
joveski

as for the final four, isn't the deal that because they aren't yet available to buy, it's legal to copy it off the vinyl?. I transferred mine a couple of years back onto CDR, they sound good, but they day they're sitting in the shops, I'll buy the 4 anyway
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 08:44 PM   #5
wolfebay

I think Val's reply was a bit too harsh. I do agree that this new release works on many levels, and that's great. But are they also going to include 2 previously unreleased tracks (as is the custom) so the die-hards like us have to buy the same songs once again? I think Gord was simply expressing the thoughts of many fans, like me, who would like to see something new. I'm sure I own pretty much the same albums that we all do, and I don't feel the need to pay again for songs that, between Gord's Gold 1, 2, and Songbook, I already have duplicate copies of. But I certainly won't criticize any of you who do buy it, for whatever reason. Just my opinion.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:44 PM   #6
wolfebay

I think Val's reply was a bit too harsh. I do agree that this new release works on many levels, and that's great. But are they also going to include 2 previously unreleased tracks (as is the custom) so the die-hards like us have to buy the same songs once again? I think Gord was simply expressing the thoughts of many fans, like me, who would like to see something new. I'm sure I own pretty much the same albums that we all do, and I don't feel the need to pay again for songs that, between Gord's Gold 1, 2, and Songbook, I already have duplicate copies of. But I certainly won't criticize any of you who do buy it, for whatever reason. Just my opinion.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:07 AM   #7
Brenda

I concur with Gord!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:07 AM   #8
Westernstar9

I concur with Gord!
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 07:41 AM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

As long as we're voting I must agree with Val, the day the fnal four are released is the day I will buy them Keep smiling folks!
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 11:52 AM   #10
SilverHeels

Are we voting? Well, I'm with Val on this.
I'll be buying the Final 4 as soon as they
hit the stores.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:31 PM   #11
Bahama Star

Yep me too !!.

With Old Dan definitaly first..

Keep Smiling Ron.
Bahama Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:31 PM   #12
catmanron

Yep me too !!.

With Old Dan definitaly first..

Keep Smiling Ron.
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 07:51 PM   #13
Wingdrops

It is my understanding that legally you are entitled to make a copy for your own use of ANY vinyl album you own, whether or not it is also available on CD. Similarly, it is legal to copy a CD or vinyl to a cassette for your own private noncommercial use. It is perfectly legal to tape a movie on cable or TV for your own use, and the same applies to songs on the radio. It is also legal to figure out the words, chords or scoring of a song and write them down for your own use. Part of the reason for the legality of such uses is that the artist is already receiving royalties (e.g. from the TV or radio station each time the song is played, whether or not anyone listens).

Now, if you borrow someone else's CD and burn a copy for your own use, that might be a problem (with penalties up to $10,000 or more), although the risk of being caught is very low except in situations of copying in volume. The problem is less severe if you already own the identical material in another medium and have simply made a copy for your own convenience. If you burn a copy to sell or distribute, or for commercial use (e.g., in a jukebox), that is DEFINITELY a problem. I handled a fair number of cases where bars and taverns were showing cable TV shows or sporting events in their establishments without paying commercial royalties. These businesses are making a profit due, in part, to the appropriated material, so it is not a "non-commercial use."

That's my understanding of the legalities inherent in this stuff. I should add the lawyer's caution that some of the above examples have not been tested yet in the courts, and instead are merely the extrapolations of rulings in similar cases. I should also note that this should not be used as formal legal advice, because there may be local laws which supplement the federal laws in this case (although I don't think so).

The moralities of the issue are another matter altogether. IMO, the artist deserves new royalties whenever he/she releases the material in a new format. So even if I were to obtain a bootleg burn of one of the Final Four, I would buy the album again when formally issued on CD. I feel it would be a moral obligation to do so, evem more so when Gord is involved.

Finally, I also would rather that the Final Four be issued than just another re-compilation of material we already have. Nevertheless, I'm sure that remastering will add to the quality of the new Greatest Hits CDs, and it will be nice to get some of the songs on Gord's Gold and GG2 in a compilation of the original releases, rather than the redone versions on those albums.

2Much2Lose

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by."
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 07:51 PM   #14
2Much2Lose

It is my understanding that legally you are entitled to make a copy for your own use of ANY vinyl album you own, whether or not it is also available on CD. Similarly, it is legal to copy a CD or vinyl to a cassette for your own private noncommercial use. It is perfectly legal to tape a movie on cable or TV for your own use, and the same applies to songs on the radio. It is also legal to figure out the words, chords or scoring of a song and write them down for your own use. Part of the reason for the legality of such uses is that the artist is already receiving royalties (e.g. from the TV or radio station each time the song is played, whether or not anyone listens).

Now, if you borrow someone else's CD and burn a copy for your own use, that might be a problem (with penalties up to $10,000 or more), although the risk of being caught is very low except in situations of copying in volume. The problem is less severe if you already own the identical material in another medium and have simply made a copy for your own convenience. If you burn a copy to sell or distribute, or for commercial use (e.g., in a jukebox), that is DEFINITELY a problem. I handled a fair number of cases where bars and taverns were showing cable TV shows or sporting events in their establishments without paying commercial royalties. These businesses are making a profit due, in part, to the appropriated material, so it is not a "non-commercial use."

That's my understanding of the legalities inherent in this stuff. I should add the lawyer's caution that some of the above examples have not been tested yet in the courts, and instead are merely the extrapolations of rulings in similar cases. I should also note that this should not be used as formal legal advice, because there may be local laws which supplement the federal laws in this case (although I don't think so).

The moralities of the issue are another matter altogether. IMO, the artist deserves new royalties whenever he/she releases the material in a new format. So even if I were to obtain a bootleg burn of one of the Final Four, I would buy the album again when formally issued on CD. I feel it would be a moral obligation to do so, evem more so when Gord is involved.

Finally, I also would rather that the Final Four be issued than just another re-compilation of material we already have. Nevertheless, I'm sure that remastering will add to the quality of the new Greatest Hits CDs, and it will be nice to get some of the songs on Gord's Gold and GG2 in a compilation of the original releases, rather than the redone versions on those albums.

2Much2Lose

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by."
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 09:32 PM   #15
Janice

Gee, it didn't seem to me that there was anything to vote on, here. Gord never said that he wouldn't eventually purchase the final four if/when they became available in CD format. He merely stated his frustration that the release date keeps getting pushed back and pointed out that the company's hesitancy to follow through with these releases could cost them sales. A very valid statement, I might add. Plus, he never said that this new greatest hits project wouldn't be well done, just that he was disappointed that it wasn't an album of new material.

You know, our musical icons aren't Gods. They and/or the companies that represent them sometimes do things differently than we would like to see. It's ok to feel that way and it's ok to voice it. It certainly doesn't mean that we appreciate or respect our idols any less. It just means that we accept that they are human and that they have to deal with the realities of the companies they contract with.

BTW, thanks for the legal tips 2M2L

Just my loose change
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 04:52 AM   #16
Gord

Okay now that maybe the dust has settled somewhat on this I will attempt to make a few points here. Okay the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald in it's original version is not out on any Greatist Hits package except Song Book. Most artists who have a succession of Greatist Hits packages usually have completely new material on them.

Radio play has evaded Gord of late in fact I don't recall ever hearing one track off of Painter on the radio when it was released. If someone has please let me know.

New tunes that have been commercial hits include Dream Street Rose, If You Need Me, Baby Step Back, Anything For Love, I'll Prove My Love, Blackberry Wine, Daylight Katy, Endless Wire those are 8 that I know of and perhaps Rhino would throw in 2 more rarities and hey I'd buy it ( in my dreams I know) That was the point I was attempting to make with my original post.

Making one's own CD's will never match the quality coming from the factory, that I concur, however mine are good enough for to listen to in my taxi as it has a CD player and not cassette. It's not 100% perfect but it isn't bad.

I'm aware a new CD of brand new material is in the works..... I have heard the 2-3 new songs in concert which I can't wait to get my hands on in CD format!

Hopefully this clears things up.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:52 AM   #17
Gord

Okay now that maybe the dust has settled somewhat on this I will attempt to make a few points here. Okay the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald in it's original version is not out on any Greatist Hits package except Song Book. Most artists who have a succession of Greatist Hits packages usually have completely new material on them.

Radio play has evaded Gord of late in fact I don't recall ever hearing one track off of Painter on the radio when it was released. If someone has please let me know.

New tunes that have been commercial hits include Dream Street Rose, If You Need Me, Baby Step Back, Anything For Love, I'll Prove My Love, Blackberry Wine, Daylight Katy, Endless Wire those are 8 that I know of and perhaps Rhino would throw in 2 more rarities and hey I'd buy it ( in my dreams I know) That was the point I was attempting to make with my original post.

Making one's own CD's will never match the quality coming from the factory, that I concur, however mine are good enough for to listen to in my taxi as it has a CD player and not cassette. It's not 100% perfect but it isn't bad.

I'm aware a new CD of brand new material is in the works..... I have heard the 2-3 new songs in concert which I can't wait to get my hands on in CD format!

Old 02-05-2002, 04:59 AM   #18
Gord

Old 02-05-2002, 04:59 AM   #19
Gord

Old 02-06-2002, 01:00 AM   #20
mtheeb

One more kick at the settling dust: My vote is for Gord's reasonable comments, and against the over-reaction of Val. The new greatest hits package is pretty much useless. I'd much rather see the Final Four released in April; another set of greatest hits (which aren't necessarily Lightfoot's greatest songs), remastered or not, could've been delayed indefinitely, as far as I'm concerned. I'd prefer a tribute album (various artists interpreting Lightfoot songs) or a collection of alternate takes; such would be FAR more interesting. The more I think of it, ALTERNATE TAKES WOULD BE A TERRIFIC ALBUM. Good gosh...whomever is making these (release) decisions doesn't seem to be a fan of music, or interested in the creative process, or a person with any imagination. Someone please tell me why I'm wrong!
mtheeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:00 AM   #21
Restless

One more kick at the settling dust: My vote is for Gord's reasonable comments, and against the over-reaction of Val. The new greatest hits package is pretty much useless. I'd much rather see the Final Four released in April; another set of greatest hits (which aren't necessarily Lightfoot's greatest songs), remastered or not, could've been delayed indefinitely, as far as I'm concerned. I'd prefer a tribute album (various artists interpreting Lightfoot songs) or a collection of alternate takes; such would be FAR more interesting. The more I think of it, ALTERNATE TAKES WOULD BE A TERRIFIC ALBUM. Good gosh...whomever is making these (release) decisions doesn't seem to be a fan of music, or interested in the creative process, or a person with any imagination. Someone please tell me why I'm wrong!
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 03:16 AM   #22
Brenda

As long as we're piling on here, I'll make another point:

I think it is safe to say that most of Lightfoot's fans are in the over-40 age group. Most of his fans have numerous albums and I'll bet most of the people that participate in this forum have "Songbook".

I just don't see where another "Greatest Hits" package is going to attract that many people. I was never a big Billy Joel fan, but I just bought his boxed set. It was probably better than a "greatest hits" package. Rhino Records is not particularly worried that buyers may lose interest in the "Final Four", as the response and demand in this forum has been pretty clear.

I'd love to see the sales figures for "Greatest Hits" after one year of sales.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 03:16 AM   #23
Westernstar9

As long as we're piling on here, I'll make another point:

I think it is safe to say that most of Lightfoot's fans are in the over-40 age group. Most of his fans have numerous albums and I'll bet most of the people that participate in this forum have "Songbook".

I just don't see where another "Greatest Hits" package is going to attract that many people. I was never a big Billy Joel fan, but I just bought his boxed set. It was probably better than a "greatest hits" package. Rhino Records is not particularly worried that buyers may lose interest in the "Final Four", as the response and demand in this forum has been pretty clear.

I'd love to see the sales figures for "Greatest Hits" after one year of sales.
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 04:42 PM   #24
Shane

Sometimes I think us musically minded people take things to seriously. I too am disappointed that the Final Four has been postponed. But I also hope the Greatest Hits album is a rousing success! This will get his music out to people besides some of us diehards. Like it or not it takes money to keep the music coming which is why I want the album to break all kinds of sales records. Seeing it advertised on TV will be very neat! Waiting a few more months for the Final Four will not kill me.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 04:42 PM   #25
Scott Mac

Sometimes I think us musically minded people take things to seriously. I too am disappointed that the Final Four has been postponed. But I also hope the Greatest Hits album is a rousing success! This will get his music out to people besides some of us diehards. Like it or not it takes money to keep the music coming which is why I want the album to break all kinds of sales records. Seeing it advertised on TV will be very neat! Waiting a few more months for the Final Four will not kill me.
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote