banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
dhartman

Default album with letters and picture

Hi all , A friend who frequents record stores sent me Gords album ,( If You Could Read My Mind ) . It came in a glossy folder that has Gordons picture on the front. It opens like a folder , one side has the record and cover . The other side has a glossy photo of Gord and two letters . One letter on Warner Bros. letter head written by Laurel Holiday , Director of Publicity. The other is titled bio , on Reprise Records letter head , not signed , it is five pages interview with Gordon . The other letter talks how glad Reprise is to have Gord signed on . Both are on nice paper. A really nice set . Wondering if anyone knows about this, is this how the album was originally released . Just curious .
We are also waiting for a concert close to Oklahoma , I hope they are still booking shows , any one know if any more dates still coming. Thanks for any response . Dale
dhartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: album with letters and picture

can you take some pictures and post them?? sounds quite interesting..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
dhartman

Char,
Second time to respond , my other response disappeared , you know the post that talks about Gord not texting , no cell phone , that's me . I can get the picture on the computer , attaching to post is the problem . I can get a kid to help when they are here.
The 8 x 10 glossy photo simply states Lightfoot at the bottom . My wife says the paper the letters are on reminds her of typing paper from that era . They are pale but feel thicker. We are debating Laurel signature if it is ink from a pen or a copy , leaning toward a copy . The folder is a real thick material glossy with a big picture of Gordon . You can tell they are old and certain the album and all is a set . One letter is simply titled bio . It is an interview with Gord , starts with talking bout growing up in Orillia , working at the laundry , off to school at Westlake , back to Toronto , met his wife , goes on for five pages. Here is an example , last two sentences , Gordon talking ," There are a lot of pretty songs on the third and fourth albums, but none of them is what you'd call a mainstream song. I'm trying to write songs that are both now , that are not only groovy but can also reach a lot of people." I will try to post pictures . Thanks , Dale
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
dhartman

I hope some people find this interesting , I will give another paragraph from the letter titled bio .
Gordon speaking about writing songs , I quote , " When I work the melody out, I write it down immediately and then I start thinking about words.I usually start with a combination of melody and words and just sort of mumble along with the tune. Often I don't really know what the song is about until I've done maybe two or three verses. I just string words together and when I feel a point of view emerging, I'll pursue it. " Early Morning Rain " for example, started out as Early Morning Train. It just didn't work that way. After I get going, I often find that I can start right in on another one, when I get my mind working in the right direction. I think I once wrote four songs in one day. It's usually two or three , but one day I wrote four."
Someone has probably heard this interview , I find it interesting . Dale
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
charlene

On The Early Morning Train.....hmmmm... glad he changed it and used words instead of mumbles!
I may have heard it/read it but don't remember.!
It's always interesting to read how he comes to write a song and his thought process.
thanks!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
formerlylavender

I'm glad he changed it too That set sounds very cool - maybe some sort of collector's edition??

Looking forward to seeing it once you're able to post pictures.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
niffer

I always love learning about an artist's creative process, because it is so unique and, well, creative.

Thanks for sharing, Dale.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
KHester

We all want some more info on your great find
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
dhartman

I have been trying , hope this works , these are pics from the set my friend got me. If this works and they will enlarge to read I could take pics of all pages . Top left is folder open the way it came , album on the left , letters and pic on the right. Top middle is the front of the folder with pic. Top right is the letter titled bio. Bottom row left is 8 x 10 that came with the set . Bottom right is the letter from Reprise records Director of publicity.
Maybe this is a promo from Reprise when they signed Gordon. I don't know who interviewed or wrote the bio.
I called my friend. He said he was in the record store , ( I think he lives there ) when the owner had a box of records that he was cleaning out some space. My friend got to be first to go thru it and pulled this out. My friend collects albums and knows a lot and was very intrigued with this set . I say this to put a plug in for him , I am humbled as he would give this to me rather than him keeping it as he has a Gordon collection also. Thank you Robert.
If this works , if the pages can be read and if anyone would like , I could post the other four pages from the bio. Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06843.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	5827   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06842.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	5829   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06847.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	5830   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06848.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	5832   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06849.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	5833  

Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartman View Post
If this works , if the pages can be read and if anyone would like , I could post the other four pages from the bio. Dale
it works...oh, yes please....thank you, Robert... thank you, Dale!
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
dhartman

I have been trying , hope this works , these are pics from the set my friend got me. If this works and they will enlarge to read I could take pics of all pages . Top left is folder open the way it came , album on the left , letters and pic on the right. Top middle is the front of the folder with pic. Top right is the letter titled bio. Bottom row left is 8 x 10 that came with the set . Bottom right is the letter from Reprise records Director of publicity.
Maybe this is a promo from Reprise when they signed Gordon. I don't know who interviewed or wrote the bio.
I called my friend. He said he was in the record store , ( I think he lives there ) when the owner had a box of records that he was cleaning out some space. My friend got to be first to go thru it and pulled this out. My friend collects albums and knows a lot and was very intrigued with this set . I say this to put a plug in for him , I am humbled as he would give this to me rather than him keeping it as he has a Gordon collection also. Thank you Robert.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

It looks like a promo set for radio stations. They were often made back in the earlier years and sent to mostly radio and some tv stations, so the program director could get a good idea of who the singer was, and then he would give it to the DJ so he could tell the people over the air something about the singer and play a song or two. This one probably just got put in with the stacks of records by the station and then sold with the unwanted lot as they fazed them out. Nice collectable, as they probably only made a couple thousand at most. If you can get Gordon to sign it someday, it would be real sweet.

Last edited by JohninCt.; 03-22-2013 at 07:37 AM.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
KHester

Thank you for posting this, I also think it's a promo for radio stations... but what a nice find. All of us wish we had one
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
dhartman

Thanks for the responses , I agree with it being a promo. I also agree with getting it signed . But I need that concert. Surely they will bring Carefree through the south. Here I wait , If anyone hears anything , let me know. Here are the other four pages , I have no idea what order they will end up on the post . I am winging it here. Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06851.jpg
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	5839   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06853.jpg
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	5840   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06855.jpg
Views:	407