banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Matthew Bullis

Hello, I was listening to Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour on Satellite radio, and he was telling about a feud between two Jamaican singers of ska music, and said that the fans got involved in the feud. It became so out of control that the Jamaican government had to step in, call a truce, and have the two Jamaican singers pose for a publicity photo. Bob said he had a similar thing with Gordon Lightfoot. I don't understand this. They have been fans of each other for years, so is Bob bringing up something that no one mentions too often? I know he has a tendancy to make up stuff, like he did years ago, saying he had no family and that he travelled with a carnival and things, but that was always about himself. If it wasn't true, why would he say something like that about himself involving Gord? Any thoughts or help?
Thanks a lot.
Matthew
Matthew Bullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

IMO it sounds like a pretty clever joke. I mean it's like the kids say these days "AS IF", LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
joveski

i'm a big fan both and never heard anything about this... maybe bob's using his dry wit again.

during the rolling thunder days, bob accidentally set fire to curtains in gordon's house in 1975... maybe gord was pissed off for a bit. they were definately friends in 1986 when bob presented gord with the juno award. later bob was playing early morning rain in the late 80s/early 90s. and in 1998, bob playe i'm not supposed to care at a couple of his shows.

and since gord recorded ring them bells, i assume all's well
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Jesse Joe

Id agree with that Joveski, me havin not heard anything of it either.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Auburn Annie

Yeah that's the trickster Bob peeking out, pulling legs - they are ardent admirers of each other's works but I can't say they're buddies (who is with Dylan?)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
Yeah that's the trickster Bob peeking out, pulling legs - they are ardent admirers of each other's works but I can't say they're buddies (who is with Dylan?)
Having had a chance to watch the entire presentation of the Juno award to Lightfoot from Dylan, I found Dylan's arrogance and ego unbearable. He was late arriving on stage and less than flattering in his remarks. He's a "Me First" kinda guy.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
charlene

Ron - I'd have to agree with you. I remember watching the show that night (and subsequently on video) and being absolutely mortified at Dylan's arrogance and attitude - I really was. It was most uncomfortable to watch. I think his demeanour lacked any respect for the award, the audience and most of all for Lightfoot himself. I was appalled. And I felt very bad for Gord to have to come out after Dylan had made such a buffoon of himself.
While Dylan showed all watching that he was all about Dylan, Lightfoot endeared himself with his humble words and graciousness giving sincere thanks for his talent, fame and fortune.
I dont' think I've ever seen or heard Dylan since that night without thinking of what a colossal arse he was. And conversely thinking that Lightfoot certainly could teach him a few things about decency.

But I'm pretty sure that on Nov.7 Lightfoot will be at Dylan's concert in Toronto!

[ October 15, 2006, 18:39: Message edited by: charlene ]
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

If Dylan really was a good artist, he wouldn't have to act like that. Gord already feels confident enough in his own ablities to know he doesn't have to act like that. Dylan however, feels unsecure about himself, so he tries to make up for it by acting like an a**hole.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:

But I'm pretty sure that on Nov.4 Lightfoot will be at Dylan's concert in Toronto!
I guess Lightfoot has his reasons, although I've never been wise enough to hear the "Dylan Influence" in Lightfoot's music.

As an aside, in a thread now long forgotten, I had wondered if GL had ever given credit to Lenny Waronker for part of his success. In his long list of thanks, Lightfoot does indeed mention Waronker.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #10
GJA

I've always thought GL is way better that BD. No doubt about it!!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #11
Jesse Joe

Bob Dylan is a cool Dude, but I do have the presentation he did for Lightfoot, on tape. And I have to agree with the majority here.

He was obnoxious, but got a laugh from the audience tho, when he said. " I know Gord has been offered this award before, but he chose not to accept it, because he wanted me to come and give it to him." :D

At least he said something there. At one concert I saw of him, he never said one word to the crowd, not even a thank-you.

There are still people today, that are waiting to hear what he's going to say next.

In the 60's, some people saw him as a prophet. Lot's of pressure on that guy.

So love him or hate him, Hey! there's only one; Bob Dylan. I like him. Im sure Gord does too...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
Auburn Annie

Yes and that "icon" stuff has always really bothered him, if you believe the Scorsese "American Masters" film that was broadcast earlier this year. Personally I think he's somewhat shy and puts on these personae as a way of doing the business he has to do, interacting with the public - emphasis on ACTING. Also explains when he sort of hermited himself away for long periods.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:01 PM   #13
charlene

Quote:
" I know Gord has been offered this award before, but he chose not to accept it, because he wanted me to come and give it to him." :D

]
even at an important event for another performer he turns it into "all about bob" - even if said in jest it's sad...
So many other things he could have said - been gracious and complimentary to Lightfoot - nope - he was a boorish oaf and the whole damn event turned into talk about Dylan and him being an arse.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Didn't Dylan sing with JR Cash, "Girl From The North Country"? If that was him, he kind of sounded like his teeth were falling out. (My Granddad was a huge Cash fan; he once said he didn't care for Dylan either, but I think he didn't like his singing) :D

Bob probably acts like that because he's jealous of Gord, and he has every reason to be, IMHO.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
banjobench12

Long time lurker, couldn't resist posting on this one. Have a tape of the Juno presentation. My observations are:

Dylan was drunk or stoned or both....bad Bob

Dylan canme north to do it for Gord..........how often do you see Dylan on award shows?..........good Bob

Gord was clearly touched and moved that Dylan was there...........that's what counts, it was his night

Discussion as to who is better.........I think is silly............the fact that they both love eachothers work speaks volumes.
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:35 AM   #16
joveski

that was 1986... if you see the Getting to dylan documentary, at one point he disappears from interview and reappears shortly with some white powder hanging out his nose. i wouldnt say he was snotty at those awards. he was just being his typical self. whatever his attitude that night, he's always great admiration for gord.

although he was very media-friendly at that time, its a kind jesture that he presented the award, personally, himself.

and FA, he did girl from the norh country, living the blues and I threw it all away on the johnny cash show in 1969
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:09 AM   #17
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I can relate to the discomfort. Don't know how Canadian artists act around election time up there but down here our 'artists' like to tell their 'fans' (sheep?) how to vote, right from the stage of all places, LOL. Like someone said long before me SHUT UP AND SING ! I don't tell you how to tune your instrument, eh ? Like I care what some mega-rich stoner thinks about politics - AS IF ?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #18
Peter Bro10

This has turned out to be a very interesting thread! I was surprised to read all this!
First off, I'm an old Dylan fan. When I say "fan" I mean I enjoy and appreciate the work the performer does. I don't idolize ANYONE, not ever Gord. We humans all have feet of clay so to speak. Obviously, Gord has a far more endearing personality, to put it mildly, than most other "celebrities" inclluding Bob. (please pardon my mispelled words, but I'm in a hurry a the moment.)
I have enjoyed the various comment on this... thanks, Y'all!
A little bit of Dylan Trivia... Johnny Cash appeared on Bob Dylan's Album "Nashville Skyline" (a Fav of mine!) They sang duo on "Girl from the North Country". I don't recall if any other ttacks were with Cash.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #19
Peter Bro10

I forot to mention... welcome banjobench12. thanks for joining in.

Peter Bro10
Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #20
Jaybour67

I rarely post, but I could not help it. I have met Gord probably three or four time backstage. Each time he has mentioned some positive experiences he has had with Dylan.

Furthermore, Gord mentioned what an influence Dylan was on his own career. Dylan changed the music scene. Love him or hate him, without Dylan Gord would not be the same artist we have all grown to love.

By the way, I expect some bashing and look forward to it.
Jaybour67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #21
imported_Next_Saturday

I think the fact that Dylan has covered and performed Lightfoot songs, complimented his work on many occasions and showed up for the Hall of Fame induction speaks volumes. I may be wrong, but Dylan has probably recorded/performed more GL songs than GL has covered Dylan. Now who's got more ego? (don't get me wrong--I'm a big fan of both--more GL)

The induction I thought was actually funny as opposed to disrespectful. It was probably more of a commentary on how stupid awards and award shows are than anything. Awards don't make GL great. It is simply the music.

Dylan might not be your cup of tea. GL might not be your cup of tea (and all 'a that zen) They don't have to justify a personal relationship or a mutual admiration to anyone...we're all on the sidelines.
imported_Next_Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #22
Peter Bro10

hey Jaybour67,
I don't think you'll find any "bashing" here... just folks expressing an opinion.
If you be a die hard Dylan fan, you know how influential he has been. what I "think" shouldn't bother you much.
I think some GL fans are miffed at what Dylan said at that awards presentation... Most likely it was something that just didn't come out right when he said it, a mis-speak.
Celebs usually get essentric with all the fame and such, we come to expect it.
The Media can be very unkind to those who don't look and sound the way they think they should, so Bobs has gotten alot of nasty press in recent years... I've come to expect that too.

Peter Bro10
Old 10-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #23
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:

HYPOCRISY ABOUNDS!!!!! GO CORFID GO!
Ah yes......the ol' hypocrisy theory. So, can I assume that at the last awards ceremony that you had the opportunity to present at, you found yourself turning the spotlight on your unhypocritical self, and away from the recipient ?

[ October 25, 2006, 12:11: Message edited by: RMD ]
Old 10-25-2006, 12:08 PM   #24
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by RMD:
quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:

Ah yes......the ol' hypocrisy theory. So, can I assume that at the last awards ceremony that you had the opportunity to present at, you found yourself turning the spotlight on your unhypocritcal self, and away from the recipient ? [/QUOTE]That is weak.

People in this thread who have lambasted Dylan for his "supposed" disrespect towards Lightfoot at this ceremony, yet have gone above and beyond any level of disrespect that Bob may have had towards Lightfoot. Have even gone as far as calling Bob Dylan names such as a "Bafoon", an "arse" and he looks like "a flthy drunk". This is hypocrisy.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #25
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
quote:Originally posted by RMD:
quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:

Ah yes......the ol' hypocrisy theory. So, can I assume that at the last awards ceremony that you had the opportunity to present at, you found yourself turning the spotlight on your unhypocritcal self, and away from the recipient ? [/QUOTE]That is weak.

People in this thread who have lambasted Dylan for his "supposed" disrespect towards Lightfoot at this ceremony, yet have gone above and beyond any level of disrespect that Bob may have had towards Lightfoot. Have even gone as far as calling Bob Dylan names such as a "Bafoon", an "arse" and he looks like "a flthy drunk". This is hypocrisy.
[/QUOTE]Thank you for your strength. The opinions expressed that are critical of Dylan's behavior are genuine. There is nothing false about them....it is NOT hypocrisy.

[ October 25, 2006, 12:30: Message edited by: RMD ]