banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
Dream Street Rose

Default Gordquest 2007 - Part II (Louisville & Indianapolis)

Hi you all,

Here we are (Dore, Kerstin and Kathy), sitting in the lobby of our hotel. It is 3:30 a.m. and we need to leave for the airport in thirty minutes. We have now been up for two days. Both Louisville and Indy concerts were fantastic. Gordon was very strong and gave us superb performances. His orchestra was in their usual top form. All three concerts were indoor venues so the temperature was comfortable. In Texas the humidity was too high. In Colorado the altitude was too high. Both had outdoor venues. The crowds were very enthusiastic and energetic. At both some of the people were too high. Gordon really enjoys his conversation and banter. He shows his appreciation for the fans who come out to show their support.

The three of us truly believe "The Man" is as good as ever. Yes, we are all older and hopefully wiser. At the risk of sounding like we don't want to enjoy our holiday season, we are already looking forward to Gordquest 2008. Who wants to join us?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
TennTroubadour

Send a message via AIM to TennTroubadour
Default Re: Gordquest 2007 - Part II (Louisville & Indianapolis)

Dore,

In all due respect, your behavior at the Nashville show was an embarrassment and an obvious distraction to Gord. You yelled from your seat on the first row at the top of your voice, "You are AWESOME!!", after the first song, which obviously disrupted and distracted Gord. Then after the second song, you walked up to the foot of the stage directly under Gord and forced upon him a "gift bag" even loudly telling him, "Open it, Mr Lightfoot!!" Gord said "Dore, behave yourself," in obviously cynical and obvious frustration with you, as this must have become a continous and obnoxious frustration to this wondrous man in the twilight of his career. From my seat on the third row, this rude and obnoxious behavior was noticed and disdained not only by me but also many other Gord fans in that area and frankly to the entire first 20 rows or so. It was THAT loud, Dore. :-(

Ma'am, you need to get a life. Following this great man around like a stalker is NOT the thing to do at this point in his career. Although he is a shadow of his former self as a performer, the audience in Nashville was there to accept and love him as he is, but you ruined it for me and many with the above behavior and your continuous talking during the songs and show. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Also your review of these Louisville and Indy shows, much like your comments re Nashville, were the obvious remarks of an obsessed and aging "groupie." PLEASEEEE STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!
TennTroubadour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
RM

TT,

What were your impressions of Lightfoot's performance in Nashville ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
TennTroubadour

Send a message via AIM to TennTroubadour

Ron,

The concert was fine except for the shenanigans by this Dore lady. Gord's vocals were a little strained & shaky but that's to be expected at his age. The band was tight. It was a smooth concert- no hitches. Not the Gord of old but was glad to see him perform in Nashville again in front of so many fans who love him and his music in a sold out house. I have seen him over 50 times over the years since my first time at the Riverboat in Toronto in 1966.

Whether it be chains or strings that bind you, I hope this finds you well!!

TT
TennTroubadour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
Kerstin

Dear Tenn Troub.,
just read your post on Dore's "bad" behaviour, so I thought I'd tell you how it looked like from where we were sitting, which must have been miles away from you, because people around us actually started laughing when they heard the "you are awsome", just like Terry and Rick did up on stage. So at least they were not "bothered" by the whole thing. She did not yell "open it". That were a few ladies to the right of us, who we don't know. Of course you have a right to your opinion. It kind of just would have been nice if you would have been able to post it without being hurtful and rude to a good friend of mine. In my opinion the only person who disrupted the show was that guy yelling "Gordon Lahhhhhtfoot" every two minutes whether it was while Mr. Lightfoot was singing or in between songs, but you must have missed that, because you were so zoned in about being upset with Dore.
Thank you.
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
brink-

At every concert I have been to somebody calls out, whether at Massey Hall and 10 people call out I love you Gord (even men) or callomg out song requests, it is just the fact that Gord's concerts are laid back and easy going. I think he is grateful for the effort we all put forth to see him.
I have seen the response to these messages, including the response to "You're awesome", it is called appreciation. I agree with Kerstin that was a rude post, I believe it moreso since you read my pm and left it stand. I always thought that Gord fans were the nicest people....perhaps we should take a lesson from the person who brought us here: as he himself said in the Official Gordon Lightfoot Interview (by Meredith Lightfoot) being asked about being a role model to people - that he tries to be a good person and to be nice, nice and polite.....

Last edited by brink-; 09-17-2007 at 10:37 PM.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
lazymorning

Tenn,
I was also at this concert. I can't dispute what you experienced where you were sitting but we were near the back and everyone around us enjoyed the interaction between Gord and Dore. This was my first Gord concert but I have attended many, many other shows and there is ALWAYS fans yelling and passing flowers and gifts to the performers. I can't believe that she was the only one handing him a gift. I can't believe he didn't get hit with a bra. lol In my humble opinion Gord seemed to lighten up and talk more because of Dore and the rest of the energetic audience. He really appeared to be having a great time. I found it to be a wonderful concert and an amazing experience. Thanks DSR!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

Inasmuch as I was not in attendance at the Nashville concert, I am not in a position to either agree or disagree with TT's comments re: Dore. I will opine, however, that personal reprimands should be confined to the private message option.
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
AndyC

I was on the sixth row at the Nashville show. At the time I had no idea Dore was a board member, but GL seemed well acquainted with her, and did request (playfully, I think) that she behave herself. While I personally found the yelling and gift bag a bit over the top, GL handled it with characteristic grace and good humor. I did not have the feeling he was annoyed. No harm, no foul in my book.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:07 AM   #10
Kathy Number Four

In response to "TT", I must say that, while you're entitled to your opinion, I disagree with you wholeheartedly. Gordon did not seem "frustrated" at all to me... on the contrary, I would characterize his reaction as "amused". His "behave yourself" comment was made good-naturedly, and if you'll remember, he added "That's my little friend, Dore... she is a fast fan." Those are not the words of an annoyed person. I have been at six concerts with Dore, and I KNOW FOR A FACT, that Gordon appreciates her enthusiastic devotion, and he enjoys the banter. And as Kerstin pointed out, the people in the audience enjoy it too. At one of the concerts (I think Louisville??) after she shouted the now traditional "You are AWESOME", Gordon remarked, "Thank you... keep it up, it's good for publicity." Andy C is correct that Gordon is well acquainted with Dore (and vice-versa), and if he found her behavior unacceptable, he would have told her personally, way before now. As other posters have pointed out, LOTS of people are shouting out all the time (many of them DURING the songs, which IS rude!) Since you've been to 50 GL concerts, you obviously know this.

I am really sorry "TT" that you allowed your perceptions to spoil your evening. You sound like the lady who sat next to me in Indianapolis... she was annoyed at everyone who did anything but clap briefly and primly at the end of each song. She sat with her arms folded throughout the whole concert and never cracked a smile. And when my friend Kerstin (yes, Kerstin of this board) tried to get past this lady to get to her seat, she almost tripped and fell, because she wouldn't even move an inch to let her pass. There's always a few like that at every concert. Sorry to find out that a "Gord Board" member is one of them. Next time, maybe you should have a little glass of wine before the concert.

Last edited by Kathy Number Four; 09-18-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Kathy Number Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #11
talbot10

Next time, maybe you should have a little glass of wine before the concert.

Now Kathy is one smart woman!! I think maybe even a couple large glasses wpuld do well....... I shudder th think what I might have blurted out all these years at these shows...210lb male groupie that I am

Bill
Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
Borderstone

I didn't want to chime in until i knew all the facts and i think tenntroubador owes Rose an apology.

Last I heard,concerts were supposed to be fun and not a stuffed shirt oratory! this is a GL show,not a chamber music concert where you have to be 100% stoic. It's a "good' thing when funny things happen at a concert. It's funny at a rock show when someone actually makes it onto the stage,as long as it's no apparent threat to the performer(s).

Rose,whom I have spoken via phone a few times is surely no threat or an annoyance to Gord or anyone. I go to Lightfoot's shows for the music same as you Troubador but as Gord's humor has shown,it's good to throw a lighthearted,toung-in cheek attitude in with the show as well.

Great artrists know not to take things too seriously,except when it comes to his music,Gord doesn't to be sure,so why may I ask are you taking it as so? Life's too short to make a huge fuss like that and post a hurtful message such as yours. I will say in this case,I don't care if you have a right to your opinion,when posting one's opinion it had at least better be backed up by at least some marginal truth and not what you assume it to be. Period!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
RM

Ya know......Lightfoot's perception of such things might be a good question to throw into the pot if another CHar CHat comes to pass.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #14
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
Last I heard,concerts were supposed to be fun and not a stuffed shirt oratory! this is a GL show,not a chamber music concert where you have to be 100% stoic. It's a "good' thing when funny things happen at a concert....Great artrists know not to take things too seriously,except when it comes to his music,Gord doesn't to be sure...
Right on, Borderstone!! You expressed my feelings exactly, and you are 100% correct!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Ya know......Lightfoot's perception of such things might be a good question to throw into the pot if another CHar CHat comes to pass.
RM, this is an excellent idea!! I hope there will be an opportunity for Char to have another "CHat". I think I have a pretty good idea of how Gord might respond to this question.... I'm guessing probably something along the lines of what Borderstone said. Because I know he LOVES his fans, and I can't believe he would ever be annoyed by their showing their love and appreciation for him (as long as they don't present a threat, as Borderstone pointed out). And BTW, I can attest to the fact that he loves DSR!!!!

Last edited by Kathy Number Four; 09-18-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Kathy Number Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #15
John D

I have to agree with Tenn Troubadour.

The term "aging groupie" fits well.
John D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:41 AM   #16
Kathy Number Four

Just curious.... could somebody please define the term "groupie"/"aging groupie". You are obviously using it in a perjorative sense!! I think a lot of us on this board are "aging" and many of us have been to a dozen or two (or more) concerts (e.g. Tenn Troub himself claims 50 concerts, so he can't be too young). I don't mean this as a rhetorical question... I would really like to know how most of you would define the term. (In other words what makes DSR an "aging groupie" while Tenn Troub is simply a fan?) Thank you.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #17
Borderstone

Hey John D. ,you have no business passing judgement on someone you don't even know. Where do get the ignorance to take a written statement on website as cold hard fact. You don't know Rose,so you have no business to say anything about it.

Are you also one of those people who sits in their living room,watches a celebrity get arrested on TV and you instantly "know" their guilty too? That's no diffeent than you sitting at that PC,reading tenn's statment and taking it as a fact.

Only ignorant people and younger people who don't know any better believe everything they read! Oh and just in case....Harry Potter's not a real person by the way. [rolleyes]
Old 09-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #18
RM

Simmer down now, B'stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Number Four View Post
(In other words what makes DSR an "aging groupie" while Tenn Troub is simply a fan?) Thank you.
I can only speculate that those with that opinion are taking the term 'groupie' in the literal sense, i.e., someone who follows a famous personality around. A 'fan' might drive 5 hrs to see a performance, but would not travel the states from venue to venue, whether because of limited resources, or lack of inclination.

I'm glad DSR is in a position to do the traveling.

It's all in each individual's perception.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #19
brink-

Good description Ron, I guess that makes about 100+ (or more) of us groupies since there was at least that many at Massey. My goodness, not only did I travel state to state I went to a different country.
I am wondering if John D might be a troll, he is pretty new to try to ruffle everyone's feathers.
So, Ron, since I think you are a great singer and songwriter in your own right --- how would you feel if somebody came to several concerts? Would you be upset having fans?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
Good description Ron, I guess that makes about 100+ (or more) of us groupies since there was at least that many at Massey. My goodness, not only did I travel state to state I went to a different country.
I am wondering if John D might be a troll, he is pretty new to try to ruffle everyone's feathers.
So, Ron, since I think you are a great singer and songwriter in your own right --- how would you feel if somebody came to several concerts? Would you be upset having fans?
brink-,

I certainly appreciate your comments, but the scenario you present ain't gonna happen.

Going full circle.....if TT thought the behavior was disruptive, then he's welcome to his opinion. If I was in attendance, would I have felt the same way ? I'll never know. I may have enjoyed it, or I may have thought "who is that attention grabber".
Old 09-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #21
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
A 'fan' might drive 5 hrs to see a performance, but would not travel the states from venue to venue, whether because of limited resources, or lack of inclination.
Well, then, I guess that would make Tenn Troub a "groupie" too (assuming he's been living in Tennessee during all of his "fanhood") because he claims to have attended 50 concerts, and Gordon has only appeared in Tennessee 16 times since 1974 (according to the website "Lightfoot.ca"

Besides, I wouldn't say that DSR has "travelled the states from venue to venue"... she attended most of her concerts within driving distance of her home in California (one of the states where Gordon has appeared the most) and has travelled out of state a handful of times in the past couple of years (as I am sure many on this board have). And WHY NOT?? Now that she and her husband are retired, haven't they earned the right to enjoy life a little after working hard and paying taxes for several decades. Gordon is not their only interest. They travel to see NASCAR races, to attend kaleidoscope conventions (they are artisans), to visit friends, etc. So during a two hour concert, she shouted ONE thing, and gave him a goodie bag, taking all of perhaps 60 seconds. SO WHAT??? As Borderstone said, it's not as if we were at a black-tie-only chamber music concerto.

So, please don't go off half-cocked judging people without knowing all the facts.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #22
RM

Quote:
So, please don't go off half-cocked judging people without knowing all the facts.
Well, according to the latest news....apparently, I am half-cocked.

Seriously, I was doing my best to not sound judgmental. I don't care, I wasn't there. If I had been, my opinion might be swayed one way or another. You asked for a distinction between 'groupie' and 'fan', and I proffered my point of view.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #23
Kathy Number Four

RM:

My "half-cocked" comment was directed at Tenn Troub.

All of us here have something in common... we are all avid fans of Gordon, otherwise we wouldn't even be reading and posting on this board. So we shouldn't be judging and criticizing each other. Some people like to scream at concerts (like me!), some prefer to sit quietly. That's just the way it is.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #24
Jesse Joe

Quote:
RM:

My "half-cocked" comment was directed at Tenn Troub.

All of us here have something in common... we are all avid fans of Gordon, otherwise we wouldn't even be reading and posting on this board. So we shouldn't be judging and criticizing each other. Some people like to scream at concerts (like me!), some prefer to sit quietly. That's just the way it is.

Very well said Kathy. I strongly agree 100%.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #25
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Street Rose View Post
we are already looking forward to Gordquest 2008. Who wants to join us?
At the risk of sounding like an aging groupie who is a stalker, I have plans to see the man, who is a shadow of his former self, in May at Massey. So I guess that means I am joining the Gordfest 2008.

All the folks in chat are going.

Last edited by brink-; 09-20-2007 at 12:18 PM.