banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
charlene

Default 5 Beaumont Road, (Rosedale) Toronto

pic of former Lightfoot home;
Part of the North Rosedale Heritage Conservation District, enacted by City Council on Sept. 30, 2004
http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuilding...earch_fd0=5986
and others on Beaumont Rd.;
http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuildings.php?page=23
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BeaumontRd.jpg
Views:	3564
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	2814  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
SherylKat

Default Re: 5 Beaumont Road, (Rosedale) Toronto

Hi, Char! Re 5 Beaumont, when I was in Toronto last month, I drove by this house and you can barely see it, what with all the scaffolding, etc., that has been erected around it. Apparently a major facelift is going on there! I'm surprised it was built in 1895 - must have been thought of as really modern at the time, or some former resident took off all the Victorian gingerbread that is seen on the homes built around the turn of the century here.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
lighthead2toe

I love that house. For some reason it seems to me that Gord belongs there. It's like the house was made for him and all that he's about.

I was living in Toronto at the time and I remember hearing the news when the house went up for sale and it gave me a feeling of sadness.

Every now and then I would take the day and ride my bicycle all through Rosedale and go by that beautiful house and think about all those wonderful songs that were rehearsed and sung there. Those were the good days.

Also the location was perfect for him, especially being so close to downtown, and he loves his city.

The good news is that it's part of the conservation project thanks to good ol' TO City Council.

Cheers, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
charlene

back in 2001 there was scaffolding around the turret and the windows were papered over so we couldn't see in and it seemed there was reno work going on back then..
i don't know when this pic was snapped..
t's a very stately home as are many of the Rosedale houses.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
bjm7777

Beautiful old house. I think I found it on Google Earth. For those familiar with the area, is that house located on a corner lot? Nice to read that those old homes won't fall under the wrecking ball of urban renewal.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
charlene

it's not a corner lot..
Old 08-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm7777 View Post
Beautiful old house. I think I found it on Google Earth. For those familiar with the area, is that house located on a corner lot?
C marks the spot

btw, if you jump to 6:50 on the 2001 video, you can see a pan of the front

nice post, Ron...had like thoughts when gazing at his childhood home
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GL.jpg
Views:	1910
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	2819  

Last edited by jj; 08-07-2009 at 05:17 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
bjm7777

Thanks, JJ. I'll have another look....
Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Thanks for this great thread Charlene. I printed the mansion at 5 Beaumont Rd. What a lovely home, and the oldest one on the Beaumont Road, (1896) if I remember correctly.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
I love that house. For some reason it seems to me that Gord belongs there. It's like the house was made for him and all that he's about.

I was living in Toronto at the time and I remember hearing the news when the house went up for sale and it gave me a feeling of sadness.

Every now and then I would take the day and ride my bicycle all through Rosedale and go by that beautiful house and think about all those wonderful songs that were rehearsed and sung there. Those were the good days.

Also the location was perfect for him, especially being so close to downtown, and he loves his city.

The good news is that it's part of the conservation project thanks to good ol' TO City Council.

Cheers, RJ.

Well Ron you certainly speak for me as well. I always said I was born in the wrong province tho !

I am an avid bicycle enthusiast myself. But to be able to go riding all through Rosedale on my Mountain bike, especially in the fall, with the gorgeous colors & everything else that comes with my favourite season, would be a thrill...

I believe I would not want to leave ! lol !

But then of course there would also be, The Bridle Path !
Old 09-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
He told me that the mansion at the very end of the street was lived in by the Archbishop of Toronto. He was also thought that street had waaaay to much traffic for the few homes that were on it.
odd, i don't know how there could be too much traffic, because it's not a through street...i suppose those homes must entertain a lot and have a lot of guests coming and going

yesterday i drove by on the way home and it seemed so different than last time i was there...i could turn around in the drive way because there were contractor trucks there as well as out in front...the whole roof is being redone and there is scaffolding all around the turret...char probably meant there was scaffolding in 2006 also, not 2002, no? anyhow, the entire Rosedale neighbourhood is quite multicultural now...the trees are huge and it's always to easy to get lost in there since the streets don't align with a grid of any sort

because there is no loop at the end of the street, i had to enter that driveway at the and of the street (didnt see the Archbishop, lol) and it was a bit of an awkward 7 point turn

that google satellite map doesn't show it well but the houses on the south side of the street are a good 20' to 100' down into a ravine leading to the Don Valley...Beaumont and Craigleigh Parks are down to the west, lots of cyclists and joggers

when i drive north on hwy6 for a Georgian Bay getaway last month, i saw what appeared to be the exact same home as i passed through an old town...i didnt think to take a pic of either...there were plenty of other homes in that area that i'd love to photograph and are a bit more accessible

i'm sure the Bridle Path home will never have the character the old mansion had but it's got to be easier to access the 401 and DVP from there...you can see some of the interior of the old mansion in the Telescope video (only) posted in the Gord interview thread...

back to your point, yeah, nice setting but if i had that kinda cash i'd like to have more space between my neighbours and myself

Last edited by jj; 09-19-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
charlene

across the street is the Don Valley Ravine and a couple of homes set in the hill. we went down there one hallowe'en to the one across from Lightfoot's place thru an amazing set of steps laid into the ravine hill and then came upon a remarkable home tucked away.
the turret had scaffolding on it back in 2001 i think when a bunch of us took a prolonged (lost) tour of Rosedale..I'll check pics..I do know it's been up for quite a while.
the archbishop died a few years ago and the house is now for sale i think..
i imagine a lot of traffic comes from people not knowing the street has no exit...
Old 09-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
ELizabeth

I think that Sylvia Tyson lives(ed) in Rosedale after her divorce. Ian didn't want to live in the city.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
we went down there one hallowe'en to the one across from Lightfoot's place thru an amazing set of steps laid into the ravine hill and then came upon a remarkable home tucked away.
the turret had scaffolding on it back in 2001 i think when a bunch of us took a prolonged (lost) tour of Rosedale

wow, char...trick or treating in that neck of the woods must have brought some decent candy i'll bet the pool at the ravine home must get a few leaves, neat anecdote

it's been posted before but i love Steve Earles best story ever, i take it this was at the Rosedale home before Gord moved...i'd loved to hear the little jam they had:

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/videos.html?id=732458744

who took the video footage in 2001 (the clips that i was sent for the FOL montage? i didn't see scaffolding in the clip)

i can't believe the turret reno has been going on for 8 years, sounds like the prolonged type of renos i do, lol

i didnt' see a for sale sign at that end house but i was more focused on finding out how to turn around and also keeping an eye out for dobermans...i even know Toronto and that area fairly well and i still get lost! if any are visiting town, i would recommend parking at the Brickworks lot and walking the footpath up the ravine...if you look in the Don River you can see mutations of former pet goldfish that have turned into metre long carp...there's even a sign that asks folks not to release their unwanted pets, especially exotic ones into the area
Old 09-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Jesse Joe

Does Gordon Lightfoot own a castle in The Bridle Path ?

http://www.macleans.ca/business/comp..._108015_108015
Old 09-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
Jesse Joe

This is one castle in The Bridle Path !
(adminn - this is not in that neighbourhood)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toronoto0003.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	2895  
Old 09-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #17
jj

to be vague, i believe he's now east of the Bridle Path and south of Post Road...he says he has 4 properties these days...anyhow, the castle you posted is of course Casa Loma, which lately also has turrets surrounded by scaffolding ...i'm never going to get a house with turrets, too high maintenance! lol
Old 09-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
jj

Quote:
I've been to Casa Loma. What an experience that was! Is that the area where The Bridal Path is? wow
i took my 5 year old a few months ago and he went crazy with excitement, and I myself hadn't been in 40 years, very intriguing, quite a story behind it

no, Casa Loma is quite a ways south and a bit west...but there's a lot of money in that neighbourhood also! they held an episode of the Antiques Road show there...we donated some old piece there years ago, but it doesn't get me any perks! lol

i imagine Gord is getting the privacy he deserves these days
Old 09-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
jj

Quote:
Jesse Joe is actually the one who posted Casa Loma
oh, that's who i was replying to, lol...(note, although this reply is to you, MP, lol)
Old 09-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
charlene

Just checked pics from May 2001. no scaffolding but windows were papered over. scaffolding may have been up a few years later.
The homes of known people like lightfoot/archbishop generally do not have For Sale signs on the front lawn. I read about it in the newspaper this summer.
Lightfoot may have been influenced by the turrets on the Opera House in Orillia.
Alan took video as did Paul, I did too...
Great candy in Rosedale but even better were the views inside some of the homes when the 'help' opened the door and some even invited us into the foyer...VERY impressive foyers I must say!
lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	305874276103_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	1846
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2896   Click image for larger version

Name:	827074276103_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	2776
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2897  
Old 09-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #21
charlene

December 1998 it was listed for sale. He'd been there since 1975..
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #22
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Lightfoot may have been influenced by the turrets on the Opera House in Orillia.
that's a very interesting comment, char...you must run that by him, even if not the case i think he'd be impressed

a few things: that initial pic must be a few years ago for sure and must have been in springtime because you can hardly see the place once the leafs on the deciduous trees come in...it looks like the shrubs have just blossomed

that is a great group pic of you guys...when in Orillia (1999 pilgrimage?) did the group gather at his childhood home or just at the town Welcome sign?

ok, I'm puzzled, the Telescope home interview was in 1968 and I thought it was from within the Rosedale home...but he wasn't there until 1975? hmmm, I then suppose it was at his address further west, near Avenue Rd

ok, I'm drawing dots on a map tracing his movement, it looks like a Family Circle cartoon