banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-02-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
n

I've been dieing to ask this question but couldn't find this website until now. But why didn't Gord include Salute on the songbook like he did all the other songs with the albums named after them? It doesn't really matter because I have the Salute album but I was just wondering.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by n:
But why didn't Gord include Salute on the songbook like he did all the other songs with the albums named after them?
An excellent question n and the pat answer has to be that with so many great songs to choose from there was not room for everthing on songbook. There are a host of glaring omissions and each of us has our own opinion.
I cannot understand why the excellent hit single "Spin Spin" was excluded along with other classics like "Minstrel Of The Dawn"
But you are quite right about "Salute" if it was good enough to be an album title track then for completeness' sake it should have been on Songbook.Taking Borderstone's toil on his "tapes" listings as an example I am trying to find time to work out my personal songbook5 and even songbook6 complilations. Any other ideas on important omissions anybody??

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited November 02, 2003).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Borderstone

Glad I could inspire you John! I'm about to undertake tapes 5 and 6,as soon as I'm off work tomorrow. I have unfortunatly used up all the best well known GL songs but that gives me the opportunity to really get to know the others. I just wish it could all be from CD's but most of it is. Good luck with your's!

Let's see,glaring ommisions? Triangle was the most surprising out of all the 80's. Then there's Anything For Love,The Auctioneer,Whisper My Name,quite a few from Waiting For You. I would like to have seen Drifters,Much To My Surprise and My Little Love from Painter. 70's-Approaching Lavender,Your Love's Return,Caberet and quite a few more. I'd do the 60's but since there's the UA Collection I think it's a moot point. As for Salute,I agree,I think he should've skipped Someone To Believe In and went with that title track. It's been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone (Hello! )

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited November 02, 2003).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:21 AM   #4
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

I don't want to repeat the answers, because they have all been good ones. But I would like to comment. The tracks on Songbook resulted from a process begun by Thane Tierney, who put together his list (and he is a certified Lighthead, just like us), as a starting point. Lightfoot was very involved with the project and brought his own choices, not to mention the material from the archives. And the decision was made early on to include only original songs, so The Auctioneer and Me and Bobby McGee - two well loved covers - were not candidates.

Beyond that, Lightfoot chose to omit some songs (Minstrel Of The Dawn for one that I know of) because he didn't like something in the recording. Perhaps something that only he could hear, but that was a choice he made. Since the song is on two other CDs, it is hard to be too upset about it. In the case of Spin, Spin - and I have NO inside information - I would guess that he just doesn't like that song very much. It is an early song and he didn't like it enough in the 60s to include it on an album. While it did do nicely on the charts in Canada, I would guess that it just isn't one that he likes.

In the case of Salute, I have to agree that it is unique in that it is the only title song that is NOT represented on Songbook. So we will have to assume that there is something about it that he doesn't like. If it were my decision, it would have been on the boxed set - it was always one of my favorite tracks on that album. Thankfully, the Salute CD was finally released, so I can live with that decision too.

Beyond that, I would guess that there are some songs that Lightfoot omitted because of what they are about, rather than something in the recording. For example, some people would have wanted to include Black Day In July - a noteworthy song, even chosen by The Tragically Hip for the tribute CD. But Lightfoot has long said that the song had its time and I think that was a factor in that song not being included.

Finally, when Songbook was released, A Painter Passing Through had only been out for a year. Perhaps the fact that it was a "current" record was a factor in the choice to include only one track from it.

Lots of speculation here, but that's how I see it.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL web site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's site at cathycowette.com

[This message has been edited by vlmagee (edited November 03, 2003).]
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote