banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
mtheeb

Not one of the tracks fades out! Thank you, Lord! (And thank you, Gord.)

Some impressions after a few listens:

HARMONY has the prettiest melody on the album, and a nifty synth/accordion too!

RIVER, with its unexpectedly ominous lyrics, is an unexpectedly great track (the pre-release samples did it little justice).

Love FLYIN's very cool shaker and very cool synth/organ--played by Lightfoot!

HOTEL could be a big huge giant smash hit--if I fixed up the lyrics, took the band into the studio, and let Terry fly loose on guitar.

Though not a humorous song, COUCHICHING makes me grin, especially the last "coooouchiching" of each chorus; sounds like Gord had fun recording it.

SOMETIMES...what a downer of an ending! Sheesh! Track 12 should have been a remake of ALWAYS ON THE BRIGHT SIDE!

All in all, Harmony is a wonderful work with fantastic and generally understated production that makes the most of Lightfoot's vocals. The bountiful praise at this site is accurate and well-deserved.

Can't wait for Gord's next release.

------------------
And I will always love
that sound until the day
I die.
mtheeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:55 PM   #2
Restless

Not one of the tracks fades out! Thank you, Lord! (And thank you, Gord.)

Some impressions after a few listens:

HARMONY has the prettiest melody on the album, and a nifty synth/accordion too!

RIVER, with its unexpectedly ominous lyrics, is an unexpectedly great track (the pre-release samples did it little justice).

Love FLYIN's very cool shaker and very cool synth/organ--played by Lightfoot!

HOTEL could be a big huge giant smash hit--if I fixed up the lyrics, took the band into the studio, and let Terry fly loose on guitar.

Though not a humorous song, COUCHICHING makes me grin, especially the last "coooouchiching" of each chorus; sounds like Gord had fun recording it.

SOMETIMES...what a downer of an ending! Sheesh! Track 12 should have been a remake of ALWAYS ON THE BRIGHT SIDE!

All in all, Harmony is a wonderful work with fantastic and generally understated production that makes the most of Lightfoot's vocals. The bountiful praise at this site is accurate and well-deserved.

Can't wait for Gord's next release.

------------------
And I will always love
that sound until the day
I die.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
Borderstone

Restless,although we had some differences over in Small Talk,I concur with you that it is great none of the tracks fade out. That's always been something about all popular music that's annoyed me! I like songs with good start,full body and definete endings. Fade outs make me feel like I paid for 1/2 the entertainment.

Although nothing is truly a classic until at least the quarter century mark,no doubt here either that, one day this should be a collection worth keeping and remembering. I'd like to see it on Rollong Stones 100 or 200 best albums of all time list,personally.
Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited May 19, 2004).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 07:08 AM   #4
DMD3

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Restless:
[B]Not one of the tracks fades out! Thank you, Lord! (And thank you, Gord.)

"A Painter Passing Through" is also like this. But some songs (not particularly on this album) sound better (to me) when they fade out.

Also the fact that he recorded it at his age and his condition will make it a memorable CD.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:08 AM   #5
DMD3

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Restless:
[B]Not one of the tracks fades out! Thank you, Lord! (And thank you, Gord.)

"A Painter Passing Through" is also like this. But some songs (not particularly on this album) sound better (to me) when they fade out.

Also the fact that he recorded it at his age and his condition will make it a memorable CD.