banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #1
brink

I hope the three of us will be able to get to Gord's next concert. You both were very supportive during my unemployment(Gwen Snyder too, but she appears to be gone now). Its great that all three of us ended up getting jobs about the same time.
Thanks for the good thoughts!
Brink(the employed!).
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
violet Blue Horse

You're welcome!

quote:Originally posted by brink:
I hope the three of us will be able to get to Gord's next concert. You both were very supportive during my unemployment(Gwen Snyder too, but she appears to be gone now). Its great that all three of us ended up getting jobs about the same time.
Thanks for the good thoughts!
Brink(the employed!).

Old 02-28-2004, 07:40 AM   #3
Auburn Annie

Well, I haven't gotten it yet (should hear this coming week one way or another) but I still have my tickets for Massey from 2002 and will be there with bells on when it's rescheduled.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
morning glory

And the good news is it's nearly spring...so, what a wunnerful way to celebrate spring, ladies. I am so proud of each of you!!!
What gals you are all.
morning glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
morning glory

Annie even if the facts might not pan, you gave it your best! Time will give you your justice. Perseverance is a noble goal. And besides that the government is always so d*** slow.
morning glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

Just an update - still no word on the librarian job at the Veterans Administration Medical Center. I talked with my contact at the site and she told me Human Resources was still looking at possible candidates. They HAD said only the top three were to be interviewed, so I don't know if one of the candidates changed his/her mind and bowed out, or they're hoping to find another couple of qualified folks to choose from. Grrr. At least I now know they'll notify us by mail, so I don't have to sit by the phone, just haunt the mail carrier. The federal government moves in mysterious (and slow) ways, its wonders to behold - eventually.

Meanwhile I'm putting in a repeat resume for another local computer company still hiring (Medical Content Developers), and going to a job fair on Monday for a new Bass Pro Shops opening in June. They expect about 2000 to show up for the 200-300 jobs. What the heck, I like those middlin' long shots.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:00 AM   #7
brink

I have my fingers crossed for you Annie, I really am hoping you get the VA job.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:49 AM   #8
Auburn Annie

Thanks, Brink, I've got my fingers, toes and eyes crossed <g> for SOMETHING to fall into place. It's been 18 long months, and while I have no trouble finding things to do with my time, I am not independently wealthy. I have classmates who have retired but they worked for Ma Bell right out of high school. On the plus side, I have a fully employed husband, a son who's half self-supporting and a daughter who's thrifty (gad, wonder where she learned that from?)
Old 03-13-2004, 09:04 AM   #9
TheWatchman

Hope everything turns out as you want Annie. Sometimes it's tough to read employers and what they have planned. It is downright tough to land a good, career job these days. I hope you get the job.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:29 AM   #10
Auburn Annie

Well! I went to our local mall yesterday, where they were having a job fair, with the idea of putting in an application for the Bass Pro Warehouse that is opening in mid-June. Didn't know for what position, just thought "new store, there ought to be SOMETHING I can do." YIPES! I have NEVER seen that many people in the mall at one time. They estimate there were over 1,000 waiting in line just for Bass (which is screening all week and expect 2-3K to apply for about 150-200 jobs.) The manager, Greg Bulkley, was grinning from ear to ear, running up and down the line encouraging those waiting, talking with reporters from all three local TV news stations, etc. I waited 2 hours for a 5 minute face-to-face with Shareen, one of 12 managers doing the pre-screening interviews. If they want you, you get a call back in about 3 weeks. She seemed to think I might make a good trainer for employees (health and safety, policies, etc.) Works for me. Anyway, I got some birthday gift shopping done while I was there, so it wasn't a total wash. We'll see. Still waiting on the VA but it's good to have other irons in the fire. Sad that there are that many folks looking for work (me included.)
Old 03-16-2004, 07:09 PM   #11
brink

Hooray for you Annie! Training wouldn't be too bad. But I am still hoping for the VA!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:18 PM   #12
brink

Any word yet Annie?
I took a job yesterday at PSA (an oxygen and home health company). I will be doing patient visits and concentrator checks. It pays $4.00 an hour more than where I am working now. I gave my notice and felt really bad since I have only been there 6 weeks. They were so nice, and I really like my job but $4.00 is a lot to pass up. My boss told me that if I decided I didn't like the new job to come back they would find a place for me if my position isn't still open. Sure made me feel good, since I couldn't find anything for months. So the new job starts on April 9th, I had applied with PSA in November. Long time coming and I hope it is worth the wait.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:27 PM   #13
violet Blue Horse

Congratulations Brink! Four dollars is a fourtune. Heck, I jumped ship for two dollars more an hour and health benefits

My new job is going well. Unfortunately I now work for a man who periodically breaks out into a big grin and says "Show business is my life" but that is so far his worst flaw. Well, unless you count working with the Raceway Mouse - long story.

Any word yet Annie?
I took a job yesterday at PSA (an oxygen and home health company). I will be doing patient visits and concentrator checks. It pays $4.00 an hour more than where I am working now. I gave my notice and felt really bad since I have only been there 6 weeks. They were so nice, and I really like my job but $4.00 is a lot to pass up. My boss told me that if I decided I didn't like the new job to come back they would find a place for me if my position isn't still open. Sure made me feel good, since I couldn't find anything for months. So the new job starts on April 9th, I had applied with PSA in November. Long time coming and I hope it is worth the wait.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:06 AM   #14
Auburn Annie

No word yet - I doubt I'll hear from Bass since they've held second interviews this past week and will be hiring 180 over the next few days (and I wasn't called in for a follow-up interview.) There are still 30-50 additional jobs to fill by mid-June but I'm not expecting to be one of them. Oh well, I have lots of company - there were 2600 applicants.

Still hanging fire on the VA job - it'll be 6 weeks this Wednesday since the interview but no news is good news, I guess. I've been haunting the mail carrier daily, but no envelope from the feds so far. Very frustrating.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #15
gwen snyder

hi Aubrun Annie,
Anyword yet?
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:35 AM   #16
Auburn Annie

Nope, nada. The good news is I'm still in the running. My husband and I think they're waiting to hire someone closer to the new fiscal year which starts October 1st for the federal government.

Meanwhile another job, four blocks from my house, has opened up at the community college. It's the Technical Services Librarian position held by the now-Director of the library (she'd been acting director for a year+ before they advertised the job then hired her unanimously.) She's actually the person who took MY job at the college when I left there in 1980, so it would somehow be fitting if I got HER job, don't you think? I'v got the qualifications (and then some) and know half the staff already, so I'm hoping there are not a whole lot of folks applying and I'll (please God) get an interview. The pay is half again as much as my old job and $11K MORE than the VA position so keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:24 PM   #17
brink

I was looking for this thread last night and didn't have time to keep looking. Great news on the new possibility! The job I have waited until the end of the quarter to hire me. If they had told me what they were doing I wouldn't have taken the dealership one for a month. I still feel guilty about leaving there. But I like this one.
I have my fingers crossed for you, the college one sounds more fun though. The VA needs good people but they have weird rules in the government.
Keep us posted!
Deb
Old 05-30-2004, 01:26 PM   #18
brink

Violet I'm still waiting for the story of the raceway mouse.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #19
violet Blue Horse

Personally I think it's a rat and not a mouse.

When I was brand new to the job the boss was having trouble playing a digital clip they sent him that had to open the Raceway spot he had to record that day. This is a man who types memos on a typewriter rather than a computer.

The clip's name was Raceway, and I had no idea what it was, other than he had to have it to record the spot and the spot had to be done and emailed that day. At the time I knew next to nothing about Cool Edit Pro or digital editing. My how time flies. Anyway, I futzed around for about thirty minutes and with some help from a former employee on the phone, I finally figured out the damn thing had to be coverted to a wav to use it in the mixdown. After thirty minutes of total confusion I finally got the damn thing to play and heard it for the first time. I turned to the boss and said "What the hell is that." At which point I was informed that it was the "LEGENDARY" Raceway Mouse. I said "I SWEATED FOR A HALF HOUR FOR A DAMN MOUSE?" "Legendary Mouse" he says.

Why a mouse I have no clue to this day. What a mouse has to do with drag racing I have no clue. But then I don't understand most things that have to do with drag racing.

But on the bright side, my three month probationary period is up and I got a raise. Wooohooooooooo.

Violet I'm still waiting for the story of the raceway mouse.

Old 05-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #20
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:

Why a mouse I have no clue to this day. What a mouse has to do with drag racing I have no clue.

The Chevy 350 engine is commonly referred to as the mouse and the Chevy 454 engine is called the rat.

Old 05-30-2004, 06:41 PM   #21
violet Blue Horse

Thank you. That's clear as mud. Do they commonly use the 350 to build drag racers?

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
The Chevy 350 engine is commonly referred to as the mouse and the Chevy 454 engine is called the rat.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:23 PM   #22
DMD3

While we're on the subject, once I save up enough money I'm going to get a '454' put in my S10. Right now it has a 4.3. It beats the heck out of a little wimpy V4.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:25 PM   #23
TheWatchman

Very very common. They are cheap to build and parts are readily available by the gazillions. Excellent motor.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:58 PM   #24
violet Blue Horse

Ahhhhhhhhh . . . still hate the mouse . . .

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Very very common. They are cheap to build and parts are readily available by the gazillions. Excellent motor.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:51 PM   #25
brink

Any news yet Annie?