banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2000, 11:40 AM   #1
~The Gypsy~

OK, I'm gonna be brave...been a member for a week now and nobody has "flamed" me yet and I noticed the "actives" were getting a little thin, so here goes.

Face it-- us Yanks have a world-wide reputation (and well deserved, IMHO) for being perhaps the most culturally ignorant people on earth on matters outside our own borders. There are exceptions, of course, don't mean to offend. But what does the "average Yank" know beyond our own backyard and especially about that wonderful Northland with which we have a 5,000 mile border. (Is that 8,300 km?)

Also, there are the deprived, like most of my friends, who may recall something about Gord from the 70s but haven't heard a word since through our "lobbyist" U.S. media. As Wes might say "they have no clue..." May they be enlightened!

Now, perhaps here at Florian's garden, we are s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y more astute, given we at least appreciate Gord and surely because of his songs about Canada. But can't we always learn more about the Man and his inspiration? I know I can! Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

------------------
"Is there someone sewing seams through all my hopes..."
~The Gypsy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2000, 11:40 AM   #2
shipwrecked00

OK, I'm gonna be brave...been a member for a week now and nobody has "flamed" me yet and I noticed the "actives" were getting a little thin, so here goes.

Face it-- us Yanks have a world-wide reputation (and well deserved, IMHO) for being perhaps the most culturally ignorant people on earth on matters outside our own borders. There are exceptions, of course, don't mean to offend. But what does the "average Yank" know beyond our own backyard and especially about that wonderful Northland with which we have a 5,000 mile border. (Is that 8,300 km?)

Also, there are the deprived, like most of my friends, who may recall something about Gord from the 70s but haven't heard a word since through our "lobbyist" U.S. media. As Wes might say "they have no clue..." May they be enlightened!

Now, perhaps here at Florian's garden, we are s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y more astute, given we at least appreciate Gord and surely because of his songs about Canada. But can't we always learn more about the Man and his inspiration? I know I can! Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

------------------
shipwrecked00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2000, 11:46 AM   #3
~The Gypsy~

OK, I'll even start!

How did Mariposa Folk Festival get its' name?

A Spanish name in Canada? Searched the Festival site, saw no mention of it?

[This message has been edited by shipwrecked00 (edited July 06, 2000).]
Old 07-06-2000, 11:46 AM   #4
shipwrecked00

OK, I'll even start!

How did Mariposa Folk Festival get its' name?

A Spanish name in Canada? Searched the Festival site, saw no mention of it?

[This message has been edited by shipwrecked00 (edited July 06, 2000).]
Old 07-06-2000, 12:16 PM   #5
Tom

Okay Shipwrecked, I'll jump in with both feet with you. (Oooh, don't that sound fun?) What is the big beef between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Why do they want to become their own little nation? Seceeding is not always the best answer . . . trust us on this one!

Mary Ann

ps: yes, I know this isn't about Gord, but I've always wondered about the above and this looked like a good place to find out.

[This message has been edited by Mary Ann (edited July 06, 2000).]
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2000, 12:16 PM   #6
Mary Ann

Okay Shipwrecked, I'll jump in with both feet with you. (Oooh, don't that sound fun?) What is the big beef between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Why do they want to become their own little nation? Seceeding is not always the best answer . . . trust us on this one!

Mary Ann

ps: yes, I know this isn't about Gord, but I've always wondered about the above and this looked like a good place to find out.

Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2000, 02:59 PM   #7
~The Gypsy~

No beef, Abe preserved the Union and Nous Vivons preserved Canada. Don't think you can call Quebec "little"--c'est un péché!!

Both feet, eh? Mind if I catch y'all? Can't see though, eyes still shipwrecked.

And speaking of Mountains, Mary Ann, is "God's Own Drunk" still up there on Stone Mountain? Also, as I recall, Gord does know your roots pretty well--who could not "love your Spanish Moss...Georgia pine and Ripple wine..." I have a concert story on that tune I'll trade for that popsicle...or mint.

Still wonderin' though, how Mariposa got it's name....

------------------
Old 07-06-2000, 02:59 PM   #8
shipwrecked00

No beef, Abe preserved the Union and Nous Vivons preserved Canada. Don't think you can call Quebec "little"--c'est un péché!!

Both feet, eh? Mind if I catch y'all? Can't see though, eyes still shipwrecked.

And speaking of Mountains, Mary Ann, is "God's Own Drunk" still up there on Stone Mountain? Also, as I recall, Gord does know your roots pretty well--who could not "love your Spanish Moss...Georgia pine and Ripple wine..." I have a concert story on that tune I'll trade for that popsicle...or mint.

Still wonderin' though, how Mariposa got it's name....

------------------
Old 07-06-2000, 04:20 PM   #9
Tom

Shipwrecked,
Okay . . . you're really making me feel stupid. What is Nous Vivons- my french is rusty. And if you tell me its a person, I'm going to have to learn how to fetch the red-faced smilie guy!!! (lol) And that other thing too - c'est un peche? But I still don't have an answer to MY question. What was the squabble all about? Didn't mean to offend anyone by saying "little", btw.

As for God's Own Drunk, no, "Uncle Teddie" cleaned up when he started dating Jane Fonda . . . oh, that wasn't the drunk you were refering to (haha!).

And the cherry popcicle is all yours . . . sorry Wes, you didn't move fast enough!

Old 07-06-2000, 04:20 PM   #10
Mary Ann

Shipwrecked,
Okay . . . you're really making me feel stupid. What is Nous Vivons- my french is rusty. And if you tell me its a person, I'm going to have to learn how to fetch the red-faced smilie guy!!! (lol) And that other thing too - c'est un peche? But I still don't have an answer to MY question. What was the squabble all about? Didn't mean to offend anyone by saying "little", btw.

As for God's Own Drunk, no, "Uncle Teddie" cleaned up when he started dating Jane Fonda . . . oh, that wasn't the drunk you were refering to (haha!).

And the cherry popcicle is all yours . . . sorry Wes, you didn't move fast enough!

Old 07-06-2000, 05:04 PM   #11
charlene

Mariposa is a fictional town created by the author and humourist-Stephen Leacock in 1912. He came to the Orillia area from England when he was 6. When he wrote "Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town", he wrote about the ideal, charming community of small town life. It was patterned after Orillia. There are many sites to read about but this one seems to serve the purpose:http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/leacock/little.htm

As far as the Quebec/French - Canada/English thing - that's been going on since the 1800's. It started up again big time in the 70's and again about 8-10 years ago. Some French people in Quebec want to separate from Canada because they feel they are treated as second class citizens. This is in large part because the rest of the country does not speak French. The only province that is officially bilingual is New Brunswick. Quebec has "language police" that ensure that any signs etc. have the French words larger than the English and people are fined if they do not comply. French is the language in schools and there isn't much of a choice about it like here in Ontario and the rest of the country. They want to "leave" but still want use of our money, our military, our government etc.!
That would be the central core reason for the trouble I believe. I have listened to it for so long I have turned a deaf ear and don't really give a rat's ass if they go to the moon! Canada is not a melting pot like the States. Immigrants don't""assimilate" into Canadian culture. Immigrants come to Canada and continue on their customs,culture,language,religion etc. We are a "Mosaic" of people. We don't want to offend anyone. My grandparents were immigrants 70 years ago and when they hit the shores of Canada they bent down and kissed the ground for the opportunity to live here. They worked hard, learned English and never, ever expected Canada to bow to their whims. Now it's completely different. We have changed the lyrics in our anthem, changed our Mounted Police/Metro Police uniforms to conform to other religions that dictate turbans must be worn, etc. I know if I went to some of these countries and wanted to Canadianize their culture I'd have my butt back home pretty fast. It seems there is no acknowledgement that Canadians (even tho we initially were all immigrants) have a history and it needs to be respected. Not changed and thrown out because some people find it doesn't fit with their lives. If life was so terrible where you came from why do you want it to be the same here in Canada?
Helping people and learning about their cultures makes us all better people but when it is taken to court and laws are changed etc. I have to shake my head and wonder. The States is more demanding of the immigrants generally - come here, be who you are but damn it, you are in America now! I like it - we even heave people in other provinces being prouder of their provincial heritage than their Canadian heritage! I am a Canadian first, then I am from Ontario, then I am from Toronto. When I travel I always say I am from Canada first.
The folks in Quebec can hit the road - they will never have it as good! It's sad because it is a beautiful province and a lot of people are not for this separation stuff at all. It must be very hard on them to live there and see the hatred and strife.
A bit of a rant, but hey, you asked eh???
LOL
CHAR
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2000, 05:04 PM   #12
charlene

Mariposa is a fictional town created by the author and humourist-Stephen Leacock in 1912. He came to the Orillia area from England when he was 6. When he wrote "Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town", he wrote about the ideal, charming community of small town life. It was patterned after Orillia. There are many sites to read about but this one seems to serve the purpose:http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/leacock/little.htm

As far as the Quebec/French - Canada/English thing - that's been going on since the 1800's. It started up again big time in the 70's and again about 8-10 years ago. Some French people in Quebec want to separate from Canada because they feel they are treated as second class citizens. This is in large part because the rest of the country does not speak French. The only province that is officially bilingual is New Brunswick. Quebec has "language police" that ensure that any signs etc. have the French words larger than the English and people are fined if they do not comply. French is the language in schools and there isn't much of a choice about it like here in Ontario and the rest of the country. They want to "leave" but still want use of our money, our military, our government etc.!
That would be the central core reason for the trouble I believe. I have listened to it for so long I have turned a deaf ear and don't really give a rat's ass if they go to the moon! Canada is not a melting pot like the States. Immigrants don't""assimilate" into Canadian culture. Immigrants come to Canada and continue on their customs,culture,language,religion etc. We are a "Mosaic" of people. We don't want to offend anyone. My grandparents were immigrants 70 years ago and when they hit the shores of Canada they bent down and kissed the ground for the opportunity to live here. They worked hard, learned English and never, ever expected Canada to bow to their whims. Now it's completely different. We have changed the lyrics in our anthem, changed our Mounted Police/Metro Police uniforms to conform to other religions that dictate turbans must be worn, etc. I know if I went to some of these countries and wanted to Canadianize their culture I'd have my butt back home pretty fast. It seems there is no acknowledgement that Canadians (even tho we initially were all immigrants) have a history and it needs to be respected. Not changed and thrown out because some people find it doesn't fit with their lives. If life was so terrible where you came from why do you want it to be the same here in Canada?
Helping people and learning about their cultures makes us all better people but when it is taken to court and laws are changed etc. I have to shake my head and wonder. The States is more demanding of the immigrants generally - come here, be who you are but damn it, you are in America now! I like it - we even heave people in other provinces being prouder of their provincial heritage than their Canadian heritage! I am a Canadian first, then I am from Ontario, then I am from Toronto. When I travel I always say I am from Canada first.
The folks in Quebec can hit the road - they will never have it as good! It's sad because it is a beautiful province and a lot of people are not for this separation stuff at all. It must be very hard on them to live there and see the hatred and strife.
A bit of a rant, but hey, you asked eh???
LOL
CHAR
Old 07-06-2000, 07:00 PM   #13
~The Gypsy~

Char--WOW! Haven't seen an opinion/factoid like that since a certain concert in March!

Mary Ann--sorry--did NOT intend to make you feel...well, what you said.

Guess you haven't been on the "Summer Side of Life" for a while, track 7, "Nous Vivons Ensemble". Bet it was omission of "Ensemble" that threw you. Also on Songbook.

C'est un Péché means "it's a sin" or similar. Ask BeauSoleil in New Orleans.

"God's Own Drunk" is a Jimmy Buffet "song/story" he used to do (about 20 min. long) So it was TED who stole the still off Stone Mt., eh? Wont see that on CNN!

And Charlene, I'll forward my popsicle to you for the answer. Interesting, a Brit author using Spanish; Mariposa = butterfly, if I remember. Also, you and Mary Ann can start those Mint Juleps anytime. I never had one either--sheltered adulthood, or is it one of those "chick drinks" Shania started? lol

Have a wonderful Festival--I'm sure he'll do "Beautiful" -- just for your Birthday. A verse for every year, right?

------------------
Old 07-06-2000, 07:00 PM   #14
shipwrecked00

Char--WOW! Haven't seen an opinion/factoid like that since a certain concert in March!

Mary Ann--sorry--did NOT intend to make you feel...well, what you said.

Guess you haven't been on the "Summer Side of Life" for a while, track 7, "Nous Vivons Ensemble". Bet it was omission of "Ensemble" that threw you. Also on Songbook.

C'est un Péché means "it's a sin" or similar. Ask BeauSoleil in New Orleans.

"God's Own Drunk" is a Jimmy Buffet "song/story" he used to do (about 20 min. long) So it was TED who stole the still off Stone Mt., eh? Wont see that on CNN!

And Charlene, I'll forward my popsicle to you for the answer. Interesting, a Brit author using Spanish; Mariposa = butterfly, if I remember. Also, you and Mary Ann can start those Mint Juleps anytime. I never had one either--sheltered adulthood, or is it one of those "chick drinks" Shania started? lol

Have a wonderful Festival--I'm sure he'll do "Beautiful" -- just for your Birthday. A verse for every year, right?

------------------
Old 07-06-2000, 10:27 PM   #15
Tom

Thank you, Char! Your explanation was exceptional. I had no idea the feud had been going on for so long. I only heard about it within the last couple of years. In light of things, I certainly understand your feelings on the matter. Thank God I don't make my living in politics! I'd fail miserably. Char, you are a Lady and a scholar! I learn something new everytime I talk to you.

Shipwrecked,
You are right about Summer Side of Life (the album). I don't have that one. It wasn't until I acquired Songbook that I even heard of Nous Vivons Ensemble. Thanks for the French lesson. Unfortunately, I've only retained learning things like "It's lunch time", "Shut the door, your mouth, your zipper","happy birthday", "What time is it?" and other useless phrases. Oh yes, and "Je ne sais pas!"

And one last thing, Shipwrecked . . . don't ever put Charlene and I in the same catagory with Shania ever again. We're REAL women. She's just a blow-up doll!
Right, Char? (LOL)
Old 07-06-2000, 10:27 PM   #16
Mary Ann

Thank you, Char! Your explanation was exceptional. I had no idea the feud had been going on for so long. I only heard about it within the last couple of years. In light of things, I certainly understand your feelings on the matter. Thank God I don't make my living in politics! I'd fail miserably. Char, you are a Lady and a scholar! I learn something new everytime I talk to you.

Shipwrecked,
You are right about Summer Side of Life (the album). I don't have that one. It wasn't until I acquired Songbook that I even heard of Nous Vivons Ensemble. Thanks for the French lesson. Unfortunately, I've only retained learning things like "It's lunch time", "Shut the door, your mouth, your zipper","happy birthday", "What time is it?" and other useless phrases. Oh yes, and "Je ne sais pas!"

And one last thing, Shipwrecked . . . don't ever put Charlene and I in the same catagory with Shania ever again. We're REAL women. She's just a blow-up doll!
Right, Char? (LOL)
Old 07-06-2000, 10:38 PM   #17
charlene

Mary Ann,
I am emberrassed at the lyrics and "act" that Shania puts on. She is a beautiful, beautiful woman and needs to grow up and stop the crap. She has a lot of real talent, a great voice and can be more than just a scantily clad bimbo.
She's been through a lot in her life and she can write some pretty good lyrics but the hyped up, hot mama act is getting old.
Having said that - I sure would like to be built like that! LOL
Inside this body there is one just like hers!!
I guess every artist has an evolution to go through and even our Gord had some times that were tough. Shania isn't having a tough time now but when the "sizzle" is gone it will be do or die.
Char
Old 07-06-2000, 10:38 PM   #18
charlene

Mary Ann,
I am emberrassed at the lyrics and "act" that Shania puts on. She is a beautiful, beautiful woman and needs to grow up and stop the crap. She has a lot of real talent, a great voice and can be more than just a scantily clad bimbo.
She's been through a lot in her life and she can write some pretty good lyrics but the hyped up, hot mama act is getting old.
Having said that - I sure would like to be built like that! LOL
Inside this body there is one just like hers!!
I guess every artist has an evolution to go through and even our Gord had some times that were tough. Shania isn't having a tough time now but when the "sizzle" is gone it will be do or die.
Char
Old 07-07-2000, 08:37 AM   #19
Tom

Char, Shipwrecked:

Oops! I've done it again. My weird sense of humor doesn't go over too well in type apparently. Most of my comments are made tongue-in-cheek and are never intended as criticism. In the future I will strive harder to make sure there is no doubt of when I'm joking around.

With sincere apologies,
Mary Ann
Old 07-07-2000, 08:37 AM   #20
Mary Ann

Char, Shipwrecked:

Oops! I've done it again. My weird sense of humor doesn't go over too well in type apparently. Most of my comments are made tongue-in-cheek and are never intended as criticism. In the future I will strive harder to make sure there is no doubt of when I'm joking around.

With sincere apologies,
Mary Ann
Old 07-07-2000, 09:28 AM   #21
charlene

Mary Ann,
I know you were funnin!
I thought I'd express how I felt about her too!
Don't worry....be happy!! Be happy you're not Shania!
Char
LOL
Old 07-07-2000, 09:28 AM   #22
charlene

Mary Ann,
I know you were funnin!
I thought I'd express how I felt about her too!
Don't worry....be happy!! Be happy you're not Shania!
Char
LOL
Old 07-07-2000, 10:17 AM   #23
~The Gypsy~

Mary Ann and Charlene (Realwomen)
I never had ANY intent of of making S***** a topic around here. I was more interested in the drink (and I don't even drink), figured she IS a Canadian natural resource -- it's my own "dry humor" that's the problem here, tho I did put a LOL after it! Anyway, your humor is great, Char chose to write and if that's what the "apology" is about--not needed.

Let's get back to Gord and how he's gonna sing all those verses of "Beautiful" tomorrow, right Char? Are the "flash flood" warnings posted yet for your crying? Enjoy!

------------------
Old 07-07-2000, 10:17 AM   #24
shipwrecked00

Mary Ann and Charlene (Realwomen)
I never had ANY intent of of making S***** a topic around here. I was more interested in the drink (and I don't even drink), figured she IS a Canadian natural resource -- it's my own "dry humor" that's the problem here, tho I did put a LOL after it! Anyway, your humor is great, Char chose to write and if that's what the "apology" is about--not needed.

Let's get back to Gord and how he's gonna sing all those verses of "Beautiful" tomorrow, right Char? Are the "flash flood" warnings posted yet for your crying? Enjoy!

------------------
Old 07-07-2000, 12:20 PM   #25
~The Gypsy~

My Q of the Day:

How much airplay (radio) does Gord get now, where you live?

I realize many of us play only CDs or tape, but radio still permeates our culture, at least where I am.

[This message has been edited by shipwrecked00 (edited July 07, 2000).]