banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
davevoeltz

Send a message via AIM to davevoeltz
Default Rapid City, SD Sept 19 Review Part 1

Rapid City Review

Wow, it’s been a few years since my last concert. In fact, the last concert we attended was with Gord right here in Rapid City.

With a change in time zone going west, my wife, two sons and I were able to leave Pierre, SD at 4 pm, drive the 173 miles to Rapid City, have time for a leisurely dinner and still make the concert with time to spare. We left on time and had to face a forceful northwesterly wind most of the trip. Remindful of one of the songs we would hear about 5 hours later.

We arrived, had dinner, and arrived at the Rushmore Civic Center about an hour before the start of the concert. We were able to park in the front lot near the building.

I could look straight ahead and see the stage crew’s bus and semi parked at the back stage door. (see pic).

One thing different from the last time here is the construction of a fence around the back stage loading facility. After the last concert, we were able to walk right up to the door and visit with the crew while waiting for Gord and the band to leave the building. That is no longer possible. All I have to say to the Civic Center building staff is ‘BOOOOOOOO!!!’

We entered the facility and walked around the building a while. They have pictures of past performers hanging on the wall and we found a picture of Gord in his 1994 concert. We then returned to the concert hall, had our tickets scanned, and found our seats. It was 30 minutes until the start of the concert.

At this point, about 20 percent of us were seated. We were surprised to find some nearby neighbors were seated right in front of us. We also saw a dozen or so people from Pierre right in our vicinity. That really surprised me that that many folks drove that far to attend the concert. I should have chartered a bus!

This was the first time our neighbors have attended a concert. I tipped them off that Gord has lost some of the richness in his voice due to being nearly 75 years old and his liking of cigarettes. So adjust your expectations accordingly. We chatted more as the seats continued to fill. The floor was nearly full as 8 o’clock arrived.

Exactly at 8:00, the lights dimmed and the band members walked out on stage followed by Gord. He was dressed in black jeans and a velvet looking suit coat.

They promptly launched into the first song. Gord started out a little weak but his voice warmed up by the end of the first song. He song a couple more songs (set listed below) and then commented he was glad to be back in Rapid City and the Black Hills. He noted it was his 4 time here (and I have been to all 4 concerts here). He mentioned that they visited the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore during the first two concerts but didn’t do so the last or this time.

Here is the list of songs for the first set:

The Watchmans' Gone
Waiting For You (shortened version)
All The Lovely Ladies
I'd Rather Press On
Christian Island
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Carefree Highway
Cotton Jenny
Now And Then
Ribbon Of Darkness
Sundown
Did She Mention My Name (Shortened version)

They played a couple more songs and then Gord introduced the band, starting with Mike on the key boards, Rick on the Bass, Barry on the drums, and Carter on the lead guitar. No mention was made about the longevity of the members nor the passing of Terry a few years back.

One thing concerned me during the concert. Gord would take a swig of water between songs and would then lean way over forward as if taking a big bow at the end of the concert. He would hold this position for 5 to 10 seconds. I was seriously worried that he was sick or had some pain. He did mention something about being a bit jet lagged and this was only the 5th concert in a group of 18 he was performing over the next month. He did this through the entire night. Anyone else see this at a concert?

He continued through his first set and seemed to gain a little more vocal range. He did mention that he struggles with some of the high notes and to forgive him and the crowd sent up a roar of appreciation for him being there performing for us.

At the end of Ribbon of Darkness, he sang the last line “Ribbon of Darknessssssss…………………………………………………..” followed by a very long period of silence. Everyone sat perfectly quiet waiting for the end. He then looked up with eyebrows raised as expecting the crowd to finish with “Over Me”. So I did and he immediately launched into the next song. So is this typical of his other concerts this year?

The first set was completed at 8:45 pm and consisted of 13 songs. The band took a 15 minute break and was back on stage shortly after 9:00 pm. Here we are waiting during intermission:

Part 2 to follow
davevoeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Rapid City, SD Sept 19 Review Part 1

great stuff! Gordon has been having probs with his inner ear for a few years now and does the 'drink/bend over' a lot-especially if they have been flying a lot..He's been doing the Ribbon of Darkness thing for a few years too..sometimes the crowd gets involved (not always a good result-lol) and sometimes they don't really know what's going on..He finds it amusing either way...lol
on to part deux!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
davevoeltz

Send a message via AIM to davevoeltz
Default Rapid City, SD Sept 19 Review Part 2

The first set was completed at 8:45 pm and consisted of 13 songs. The band took a 15 minute break and was back on stage shortly after 9:00 pm. The second set consisted of:

Sweet Guinevere
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Never Too Close
Wild Strawberries
Make Way for the Lady
Let it Ride
If You Could Read My Mind
A Painter Passing Through
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
Song for a Winter’s Night

Encore:

Blackberry Wine

It appeared he was wearing the same pair of pants, but now he had on a black shirt in lieu of the velvet jacket.

(Sorry about the lousy photos)

During the poke-a-dot underwear portion of Wild Strawberries, he gave the crowd a puzzled look when very few laughed at the lyrics. There also seemed to be some technical issue during “Wild Strawberries”. I could see Rick gesturing to one of the stage hands who walked over to him. He left for a moment and then brought back what appeared to be a note and a bottle of water and placed on the stool next to Gord. Then during one of Carter’s solos, Gord walked back to Rick and discussed something. He was late getting back to the mic and missed the first few words of the next stanza. I was never able to figure out the problem as everything sounded fine to my untrained ear.

During the entire concert, there was a photographer who seemed to have carte blanche to go anywhere and take pictures. He spent much time in the shadows of the stage and a number of times, would actually be behind the band taking pictures looking into the crowd. Anyone have any idea if this was one of Gord’s guys or possibly a local newspaper reporter or a PR person from the facility?

All too soon, they launched into the ‘last’ song, “Song for a Winter’s Night”. He again mentioned that he can’t hit the high notes on the song and had to slightly change the tune. Again the crowd applauded their love for his signing and he nodded in appreciation. He did modify the tune in the ‘If I could ….’ portions of the song. All too soon, the song concluded, they took their bows, and left the stage.

The house lights remained off but some folks started to walk out. I started shouting “ENCORE ENCORE” to make them realize that the concert was not really done. 20 seconds or so later, they came back on stage to the cheers of the crowd. Gord thanks everyone and introduced the band once more. He then said “Here is a toe tapper” and launched into “Blackberry Wine”. Upon complete of the song, the band left the stage, Gord walked to the front and took a deep bow at stage left, stage center, and stage right before walking off stage. The house lights came on and we knew the concert was truly over.

This was the first time we saw Carter in person. He plays very nicely and adds his own touch to the music. He also likes to stand during some of the songs where he has feature solos. His skills are comparable to Terry’s in producing the sounds our ears have grown accustomed to hearing. The only exception last night was the ‘mandolin’ part of Christian Island where he labored a tad and wasn’t quite as smooth as Terry. Still, the crowd gave him a loud applause at the conclusion of that ditty and he is truly an integral part of the band.

Since I had to work the next morning, we returned to the car for the 3 hour trip home. If I had the time, I would have hung around by the back stage gate to see if we could have spotted Barry, Rick, Mike, Carter or Gord. As a part time bus driver, I would even enjoy chatting with the semi and bus driver. But knowing it would by 60 to 90 minute wait for them to appear, we decided it would be too late of a night with the added risk of falling asleep on the way home. Next time, we will stay overnight, allowing us time to be “Sittin’ at the old South Gate, waitin' them boys they bin stayin' out late’.”

15 different albums were represented. Sundown, Waiting for You, Cold on the Shoulder, and Shadows each had 3 songs performed. Lightfoot! And Summertime Dream each had two songs, while Don Quixote, Summer Side of Life, Did She Mention My Name, Endless Wire, Dream Street Rose, East of Midnight, If You Could Read My Mind, A Painter Passing Through, and The Way I Feel each had one song performed.

In wrap up, it was a good concert and we got to hear some songs we have not heard before in concert. And better yet, I didn’t have some drunk sitting next to me this time constantly babbling and singing, although I did hear someone snoring 2/3rd of the way through the second set. But apparently a well-placed elbow by a spouse remedied that situation so all in all, it was an enjoyable evening.

Here are some memories from the past. My son Thomas meeting Gord for the first time in Winnepeg in 1999:

And again a year later in Minneapolis:

We now skip ahead to Minneapolis in 2006:

And finally in Rapid City in 2009:

Dave in Pierre, SD
davevoeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
charlene

Default Re: Rapid City, SD Sept 19 Review Part 2

nice set of photos over the years!
Carter started standing alongside Gordon for a couple of tunes in Binghamton, NY a few months ago. I'd seen them the previous 2 concerts in Manhattan and Rhode Island so it was a surprise when he got up and walked over by Gord! lol It's terrific!
I think the most noticeable guitar work that Carter has brought to the band is in BEAUTIFUL...I love it.
thanks for the report, setlist and photos! That's quite the drive home after a long day and concert!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
formerlylavender

Default Re: Rapid City, SD Sept 19 Review Part 1

Thanks for the review, setlist and pics Dave. The way you incorporated the pictures made me feel like I was there.

I loved when Gord wore the leather jacket btw.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote