banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Default Super Bowl In The Snow.

This year's Super Bowl location will be in NYC.

Nothing wrong with it but some people are making a fuss over it due to the fact that it's obviously in a part of the country where it gets cold and snowy in the winter.
I'm sure our Canadian members are laughing at this.

In the more than 45 years of the SB's existence it's mostly has been played in warmer climates and now there's all this fuss about how what a bad idea it is.

Gee there was a time when the NFL didn't even have any teams in the south or west.

Last edited by Affair on Touhy Ave.; 12-31-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
teherie

Default Re: Super Bowl In The Snow.

Games played outside are always more memorable. I have watched games in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Seattle (all outdoors) and Detroit plus the Super Bowl in Indianapolis.

I don't get the fuss either.
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
charlene

Jan.1 in Ann Arbour, Michigan the NHL will have the Leafs and Detroit playing for 110,000 fans OUTSIDE and it's gonna be COLD! http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=698171
My son will be attending the game and tomorrow's alumni games...and freezing his skinny butt off..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
niffer

According to the Weather Channel app on my iPad, Kalamazoo, which is about 1 1/2 hours from Ann Arbor, is expecting a high of 17 today and 18 for New Years Day. I hope Darryl is wearing LOTS of layers.

It could be worse though. Here across Lake Michigan, we are expecting a high of 3 today and a balmy 9 for tomorrow. Needless to say, I will be watching the game from indoors
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
charlene

he's in the jersey with "C" on it-#27-Sittler...Coat and sweaters under it I hope! he has pj pants under his jeans..Don't think that's enuf but he'll find out..No idea what's on his feet..They are off to the alumni game...3-6 inches of snow expected overnight...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	darryl-dec.31-2013.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	6522  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
niffer

Let's face it, the conditions are going to be brutal no matter how padded one's hindquarters are

Still, they're young and this will be a great adventure for them. Love the hats!
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
charlene

he better have 10 fingers and 10 toes when he gets home! lol
Old 12-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affair on Touhy Ave. View Post
This year's Super Bowl location will be in NYC.
Excuse me Touchy:hang on just a wee minute
I am possibly the world's least enthusiastic sports fan but I do know that the upcoming Super Bowl shenanigans is SKED-yuled (not shed-yuled) to be played quite some way from New York City even a diferent State!!!
Let's see: yup the wiki states quite categorically
"It is scheduled to be held on February 2, 2014, at MetLife Stadium at the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey,"

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Affair on Touhy Ave.

It's still part of the metropolitan area.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
charlene

The New York Metropolitan area includes the most populous city in the United States (New York City); counties comprising Long Island and the Mid- and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York; the six largest cities in New Jersey (Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, Trenton, and Edison) and their vicinities; six of the seven largest cities in Connecticut (Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury) and their vicinities; and five counties in Northeastern Pennsylvania, including the state's third-largest city of Allentown.
As per the 2012 United States Census Bureau estimates, the New York metropolitan area remains by a significant margin the most populous in the United States, by both the Metropolitan Statistical Area definition (19.8 million[1]) as well as by the Combined Statistical Area definition (23.4 million[2]); it is also one of the most populous urban agglomerations in the world.[3][4][5] The MSA covers 6,720 sq mi (17,405 km2), while the CSA area is 13,318 sq mi (34,493 km2), encompassing an ethnically and geographically diverse region. As a center of many industries, including finance, international trade, media and entertainment, tourism, biotechnology, and manufacturing, it is one of the most important economic regions in the world.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Tell that to a New Yorker that the swamp over in NJ is part of his town, LOL. Anyway, as a former season ticket holder at the Meadowlands and having attended some brutal games there I know how cold and miserable it can get. If I was paying that kind of money for a SB ticket I'd want nice weather (or a dome overhead). Back in the day, as people like to recall, the NFL did not play games in February. It's all about the money so if they make a lot they'll do it again and if not they won't. Happy New Year 2014 everyone!!!
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
charlene

that's what I figured too Bill!
lol
Geeze even up here our CFL ends by the end of the year...but there's been some damn cold and snowy Grey Cup games even then!