banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
Hangdog

Default Who could Gord get to replace Terry?

Around all my thoughts of the terrible news of Terry, I can't help but wonder who will Gord end up hiring.

What will it sound like?

I was talking to someone today and they had one very unique name. Red Shea's oldest son who I've been told is a very accomplished professional musician on the guitar.

Even this late in Gord's career this is a very high profile position to fill.

I guess we'll soon find out the answer.

Char have you heard any names??
Has anyone?
Hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Who could Gord get to replace Terry?

As I mentioned in another thread there won't be an announcement at this time, if at all.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
imported_Next_Saturday

A guess would be Bob Doidge, unless he tries out someone new...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
jj

interesting, john...wouldn't that be a wonderful touch (Red's son)

i think Doidge would be better at subbing for Rick (God forbid), but would add nice back vox and can play a zillion other instruments

two guys come to mind, based on my dabbling in the past:

*michael francis (was awed by him in one particular studio session)

*wendell ferguson (was awed beside him on stage for one memorable gig)

http://www.youtube.com/user/myraregu...12/KUtlhDuxYOg

the latter would certainly fit the fun stage vibe, he's got a terrific 'Dave' smile

perhaps this Lightfoot machine has had quiet 'understudies' for some time now and they are more prepared than we realize, however while one may possibly prepare for the loss of a guitarist, nobody can fully prepare for the loss of a long time friend
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
T.G.

Perhaps we should hold off on speculating as to who will be a replacement out of respect to Terry, at least until he's buried?
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Jenney

There is someone in place, but out of respect they will not announce who it is at this time. I'm not sure when an anouncement will be made, but they plan on going out as scheduled on the 15th.
I think you hit the nail on the head Jimmy, they might have prepared for a new guitarist, but could not have prepared themselves for the loss of a good friend.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Rob1956

Don't forget the real possibility that Terry may have been in on the decision..not to say that Terry knew he was in serious health trouble, but he may have had an inkling that his time with the band was coming to a close.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
charlene

Anything is possible but we really don't know. All we know is that Terry is gone and a new guitar player will be in the band when they take the stage in Mid March.
Until anything else is revealed by people who do know that's all we fans know for sure.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
brink-

Who's going to the first concert? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have the same knot in my stomach as I did when Barry passed. I think it is wonderful of Gord and they guys to continue on, I feel they are for us - the fans that are always there, they could have packed it up. I can not imagine the hurt and pain the guys are going through - forty years together!! That is longer than my whole life (okay THAT was a lie), but is a long time to be together. Wish it was longer.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post

I have the same knot in my stomach as I did when Barry passed. I think it is wonderful of Gord and they guys to continue on, I feel they are for us - the fans that are always there, they could have packed it up. I can not imagine the hurt and pain the guys are going through - forty years together!! That is longer than my whole life (okay THAT was a lie), but is a long time to be together. Wish it was longer.
We're not going to the first show but we will attend the 9th one on March 25th in Hershey, PA. My wife and I were quite excited about getting back on the Lightfoot trail. It's very bittersweet at this point.

I hesitate to say but most of the casual fans who decide to see "Lightfoot" when he comes to their town could probably not name one band member. My point is that a large part of the audiences will not know anything is different unless there is an announcement made at the start of each show.

Of course there will be many of us there who know all the names, ages, weights and we will surely know something is different.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Bill

I'm sure the sound will be solid and good. But thoughts of Terry will be in everyone's head -- band and audience alike. At this point, if you pay to see Lightfoot so far into his career, you're likely not a casual "on a whim" audience member. Everyone for the most part knows the band and has developed genuine affection for them over the years.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
charlene

I know folks who have attended many Lightfoot concerts over the years here in Toronto and couldn't name any other member of the group..Back in the day, long ago I never knew their names yet I went to Massey every year since early 70's. It's only the last 12 years or so that their names made a mark in my mind. I had one focus only. The guy in the middle with the guitar...
I was a huge Guess Who fan..I only knew Burton and Randy...to this day I still don't know the names of the others..I think one was Jim Kale but that's only because I've recently read the 'trademark name' issue of who owns the name..
and that name could be wrong..
Maybe musicians pay more attention..lol
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
WVhillbilly57

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post

i am going to greensboro.
Twenty-one coaches long
End to end
Twenty-one coaches bend
WVhillbilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
2silent2breal

Way back in 1976 when I was in college, I took a community ed guitar class. I'm really no better now then I was then, but that's not the point. The teacher was an outstanding player and an even better custom guitar maker, and I loved going to his class. One night he advised us all to listen to the music of Gordon Lightfoot. I was already a fan, but he put things in a different perspective. He remarked that Lightfoot's arrangements were not complicated, but they were played perfectly. He went on to talk about how when Lightfoot and band came on stage, they were already in tune (no tuning on stage) and that they always came on stage right on time. He emphasized that even with the technical perfection, that Gordon and his band still played from the heart. That, he said, was always his goal as a musician, to play with heart and soul and still achieve that technical perfection. From that night on, I have listened to the music of Gordon Lightfoot in a different way, listening to the whole arrangement and paying attention to the nuances and finer details of the arrangements. Although I am not big into classical music, I love to watch a string quartet and see the different parts come together as one, playing every note perfectly but still feeling the music come from the heart.

This is all a roundabout way of saying that the difficulty in putting a new band member in Terry's place will not be technical. There are many fine guitarists in the world, amateurs even that can rehearse and play the same leads that Terry Clements did. The challenge will be in putting someone on stage who can bring the same love for the music and the musician that has been there for 40 some years.

I'm glad that apparently that Mr Lightfoot is going ahead with the tour this year, and I hope he can continue for many more. I don't see anything on the schedule that I am likely to attend so I look forward to the reviews from all of you, and will be interested to see how this all turns out.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
Hangdog

It will be interesting to see what happens. One reason I believe that the sound may change is this. Way back when Terry replaced Red there was a change in sound of things. (IMHO)

So are we going to see a Terry sound alike. ..a Red sound alike... or a new and different approach that may take some time to develop?

If there are some changes... how much? ... Gord's tunes may take another beautiful journey down a path that no one could have foreseen.
Hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
charlene

When my son was taking piano lessons and participating in Kiwanis festivals - as Lightfoot did as a singer when he was a young lad, his teacher always stressed being punctual and taking control of the audience fromt he moment he walked onstage. How he entered, reacted to the audience and approached the piano and then sat was part of it. The other was to know how long to wait until he started his piece. In all of the times he competed the adjudicators always mentioned how my son was so good at all of that and it played a large part of the marks he received.
Perhaps that attitude taken from lessons and competitions played a large part in how Lightfoot comports himself onstage.
Whomever walks out onstage as part of the Lightfoot orchestra in mid-March will obviously have full endorsement of Lightfoot for his/her stage prescence, personality and musical ability to perform to the standards Lightfoot holds not only for the other guys but himself.
There was the Red/Terry transition, the Pee Wee/Mike transition...it's all worked..
It's his name on those tickets and we know that nothing short of his view of excellence will be sanctioned. It will be different, it will sound different, it will feel different but it will be excellent I'm sure.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
It will be different, it will sound different, it will feel different but it will be excellent I'm sure.
Great, great post, Char. I don't think anyone could have said it any better.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #18
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Next_Saturday View Post
A guess would be Bob Doidge, unless he tries out someone new...
I'll second that choice. He would be a ready made fit. He knows all the lead parts and could just sit down and perform without shaking things up.

Cathy
Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

some awfully good writing here on these posts. Char and 2silent2breal in particular. you both said insightful things in reference to gordon and his love of his craft. thank you. 2silent2breal, on a similar note, I had a writing teacher in college who told us to read the words Gordon wrote because it was the best story telling he had ever heard. It is wonderful to read the musical side of the writing, because it is, after all, music that these men give to us.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
jj

i agree, lisa, those are terrific posts (not that others aren't also well articulated, i've probably read everyone's at least once these past few days)

oh, cathy, neat stuff...i had no idea Bob was that comfy on lead guitar or that he'd previously dabbled with any RS or TC licks/arrangements... wow, he would indeed be a terrific fit if he could break away from studio and other duties for tour legs...he has certainly been part of the GL family for quite some time...maybe i was premature in deflecting INS's suggestion earlier in the thread...john, maybe a new sound would include Bob adding some harmony... jj, dream on

a question for any who attended a GL concert shortly thereafter Red or Barry's passing: did Gord make mention of these passings at some point in the concert? this tragic situation is a bit different, of course, but i couldn't help to speculate as to what might be said or not said at that Greensboro and/or first Massey concert

again, thanks for the posts...'perfection and heart'...yeah, so often the two are unfortunately mutually exclusive

lastly, char, move those 500 photo frames (lol) and get that piano tuned and get that big kid's butt back at it before he totally looses it ...it's harder to get 'it' back as you age but i guess there are exceptions
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #21
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
There was the Red/Terry transition, the Pee Wee/Mike transition...it's all worked.
On one hand, the Red/Terry and Pee Wee/Mike transitions came because of a personal choice of one of the members to leave the band -- and those transitions also included the luxury of some overlap between the departing and arriving members. This transition will be more challenging, but if anyone can ensure that it comes off as nothing short of excellent, it is Gord.

Last edited by Tim; 02-25-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #22
Rob1956

I wonder if Gord will have an empty stool or some such other physical salute onstage for at least the first few concerts...
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #23
niffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1956 View Post
I wonder if Gord will have an empty stool or some such other physical salute onstage for at least the first few concerts...
Rob, I've been wondering about that, too. Actually, I was thinking perhaps one of Terry's guitars, and Char suggested the empty stool.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 AM   #24
ellen

I have tickets for Greensboro, Wilkesboro, and Raleigh, and will post reports. Having observed the unspoken communication between the guys at previous concerts, all the shoulder shrugs, half smiles, and nods...it's going to be different. Knowing the high standards they hold, I've no doubt the concerts will be good. It will be different, and bittersweet. Going forward is, in a sense, a tribute to the part Terry has played in creating this magnificent body of music.
ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
Tim

Here is a YouTube link to Carter Lancaster, the one reportedly named as Gordon's new lead guitarist: