banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default Voice of Gord

Hi Folks.

Just arrived back from the first Massey (Wednesday night) concert and it was just amazing!

Gord's voice was there!

His pipes were singing it out like I've never heard them since recovering from his illness.

It truly did sound out strong right from the start. This man will still be singing after many of us are gone I'm sure.

How lucky we are to to still have this gifted famous composer still here after all he's been through.

The house was full and there were birthday sing outs, standing ovations, and good vibes all over.

There were a host of fans and friends sitting with me close to the front and I was lucky to have a fantastic seat with a view to behold.

Got to hug that Char lady gal first who makes things happen and she looks fantastic.

No doubt she will be sharing more as the week goes by.

So it's a good night's sleep and off to the pub jam tomorrow.

Stay loose, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Voice of Gord

Sorry folks. Meant to put this in the General Discussion.

Just the Newfy coming out in me I guess. R.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Thanks for sharing this Ron and is really great to hear about Gord's voice, the Happy Birthday's & Standing Ovations, have a grand Lightfoot time...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
podunklander

Thanks for sharing the wonder of it all and happy pub jamming!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
lighthead2toe

It's been really fantastic Jesse Joe and thanks for your post.

The concert tonight was right on par with the Wednesday concert. Another full house and fans just craving for as much as can be offered by Gord and his band and they fulfilled their duty.

The "Voice of Gord" was there right from the beginning.

Completely overwhelming for this very lightheaded Lighthead. (way past my bedtime now as well. Just finished my milk and cookies)

The pub jamming is on again for tomorrow Pam. Missed you this time. Your request is a good one (Crossroads) and we'll have to see what happens with it. I really love that tune but never got to learn it. Maybe some of the singing folks will surprise us though. Never know what happens with these kind of gigs. It will be put on the list though as a future one to have ready. Promise!

Tomorrow we'll be having John Stinson and Paul Bartlett join us. These two guys are students of Gord's former lead guitar player and composer, Red Shea, so we're in for a big treat here.

Also Melissa arrived in town tonight and will be with us as well with her sweet voice and unique guitar style. We're expecting a few others, maybe Myk, friend from Ottawa, (studio, bass player guy who recorded the tunes in 2005 at the Delta Chelsea Hotel Sessions) , TG, for "All the Lovely Ladies." We'll have "the Rez" who joined us today with his combination of Steve Earle, Gordon Lightfoot fused influenced style, and maybe, just maybe; if we can get a microphone out into the section where "all the lovely ladies" were sitting today, we'll get a song or two from them. Just leave the drivin' to the band! And JJ just might be there for " You'll Still Be Needing Me." My son, Liam also hopes to make it to share his "rearing" sounds.

Just a pot luck pub jam but a mere prelude to what will happen just a step or two way on the stage of Massey Hall tomorrow and Saturday night.

We're talkin' "Gordon Lightfoot Week" in Toronto folks, so let's grab onto it while it's there!!

So we'll sing it out again tomorrow.

My thanks to all who came out today for the tunes.

You're the greatest.

Cheers, RJ.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
mandomyk

No RJ you are the greatest -thanks for organizing the pub jams 2009 edition. Always a blast playing with the Lightheads. Just want to add my 2 cents, I thought Gords voice was great and has gotten back to old form in the past 3 years. Looking forward to the April concerts here in Ottawa
Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
charlene

The jams are always a large part of the Massey experience and having them in a pub is fantastic - food/drinks and music! woohoo-can't get better than that!
Always enjoyable to hear all the players/singers with their renditions of the Gord tunes and I for one am glad there wasn't a mic near me...
Thanks for setting it all up for us Ron - once again my fave newfie/torontonian/vancouverite came through for us...Danno has video as do several others. I hope everyone shares their pics and videos they took with the rest of us.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Hi Folks.

Just arrived back from the first Massey (Wednesday night) concert and it was just amazing!

Gord's voice was there!

His pipes were singing it out like I've never heard them since recovering from his illness.

It truly did sound out strong right from the start. This man will still be singing after many of us are gone I'm sure.

How lucky we are to to still have this gifted famous composer still here after all he's been through.

The house was full and there were birthday sing outs, standing ovations, and good vibes all over.

There were a host of fans and friends sitting with me close to the front and I was lucky to have a fantastic seat with a view to behold.

Got to hug that Char lady gal first who makes things happen and she looks fantastic.

No doubt she will be sharing more as the week goes by.

So it's a good night's sleep and off to the pub jam tomorrow.

Stay loose, RJ.
That was how I was feeling the night he was here in October of last year. I know I'll never be the same.