banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 09:35 PM   #51
DaringDo

Happy birthday, Gord. I'm 60, play an old Martin D-18, and when I and friends sing around the campfire, Lightfoot songs are the highlights and always will be for me at least. Happy campin'.
Old 10-05-2000, 12:30 PM   #52
jay

Hi, Gord. I first heard your wonderful music in about 1968, when I heard "The Last Time I Saw Her" on an am radio. I didn't discover who the artist was until 1975, when I saw the title on an album in a record store in Minneapolis. I have been listening to you ever since, and you have provided countless hours of wonder to me, both with friends and alone.

Hope you have a very happy and healthy birthday and many happy returns of the day.

And thank you. Thank you so much.
Old 10-05-2000, 01:04 PM   #53
jrsmith

Dear Gord,
Just wanted to get in on wishing you the brightest and best birthday wishes! I've been a fan since the early 70's when I heard Don Quixote while traveling with a friend. I immediately bought it at the first opportunity (on 8-track). Since that time, I have purchased many of your albums on vinyl, tape, and CD. I'd just like to let you know that your music and voice are timeless. I still listen to the vinyl and old 8-tracks that still work. Someday, I hope to get to see you live. I know you have performed around here in Kentucky, but it seems I always find out about it after the fact. Anyway, have a great birthday and keep the great music going.

Rick Smith

Old 10-06-2000, 06:53 AM   #54
Debbie B.

Happy Birthday !!

I have enjoyed your music since I first saw you in Detroit at a shopping mall in 1970. I still enjoy your concerts and hopefully will enjoy them for many more years.
Old 10-06-2000, 11:28 AM   #55
Lightfoot678

Dear Gordon

I am writing this to wish you a wonderful birthday. My name is Jeff Wilder and I am a 22 year old college student in Florida. I have listened to your music since I was 4 or 5 years old. It has touched me emotionally and helped me get through a troubled period in my life. I hope you enjoy your birthday and may you experience many more. Also best wishes from Gary Wilder, Christina Wilder, Louise Lopushansky and Christine Reardon.
Old 10-06-2000, 12:18 PM   #56
Bill

Happy birthday Gordon! We saw you at Wolftrap this year...looking forward to the TV special and North Carolina concerts next year. Great to see how happy you are these days with family and career!
Old 10-06-2000, 08:42 PM   #57
dandms2

Best of Birthday Wishes Gordon! I shall drink a great Cabernet in your honor. You've seen me through 2 marriages, & darn, I was hoping you would be my 3rd, haaa!
Take care, sorry to have missed your San Diego concert. I'll see you next year!
Old 10-06-2000, 08:47 PM   #58
dandms2

Birthday Wishes Galore! I play your fabulous music in the operating room. What a soothing way to get through a frazzled day, knowing I can function with you on board! Take care, see you in San Diego in 2001...
Old 10-06-2000, 10:56 PM   #59
oldmill@rideau.net

Happy Birthday Gordie,

have a great B-day. Thanks for the inspiring music.

- a young fan

Old 10-07-2000, 01:32 AM   #60
A_Guinness

Happy Birthday, Gordon!

Old 10-08-2000, 01:30 PM   #61
C.Tucker

Dear Mr.Lightfoot,
Happy Birthday!!I can remember as a child at the ripe old age of 11 hearing your song "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" it made me feel so sad I cried for the lives lost and became hooked on Folk music for the rest of my life. thank you for opening a young boys eyes to a whole new world of people and places. My the best of the last year be the worst of the new year.
C.Tucker
Orlando,Florida

Old 10-09-2000, 06:48 PM   #62
Margie

Dear Gord,
Sending you wishes for a wonderful Birthday from here in Central Pennsylvania. Your music has been part of my life since the the 70's and to see you in concert for the first time in Carlisle, PA in May was the thrill of my life (tickets still pinned by the computer). Your music touches the heart, heals the mind..starts and ends my day. Have a wonderful day with those you love and know that all your fans are there with you.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Margie Zavacky

Old 10-10-2000, 01:37 PM   #63
CapnBob

You have been an inspiration and a Beacon in my Life for more than 35 years.
You have shaken Me to my Soul,
and I Thank You for that.

Happy Birthday

Bob Perkins
Old 10-10-2000, 10:52 PM   #64
pmar

Husband, son and I caught your performance in Denver in August at Paramount Theatre. It was wonderful! Hope your birthday is great. Best wishes

Marilyn Samples
St. John, KS
Old 10-11-2000, 07:15 AM   #65
ughugh

Gordon ,
Thank you for these wonderful years of music and warmth !!!
As I have said in the past , " You have touched our hearts and souls ".
May God Bless You and have a , "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Sincerely,
David & Barbara Peace
Old 10-12-2000, 06:32 AM   #66
Dakota4748

Hey Happy birthday and many happy returns, its fom me(dakatah) and icesk8rjan. Your music makes so many of us happy and except for that one song about the boat is good party music.

Old 10-12-2000, 11:39 AM   #67
Bob from Westphlia, Mich

Whenever the days gets long, and hard to take....when ever I've had enough of the "every day grind" that is life...I go to my room and put on one of Ole Gord's Records" and it always brings me back to my sanity ! Gord....if YOU could read MY mind...you'd know what your music has done for me ! Happy Birthday 'ol chap....you deserve the best ! Bob Schaar, Westphalia, Michigan

Old 10-12-2000, 08:03 PM   #68
GRAHAM DONACHIE

Dear Gordon Lightfoot, I'm a scotsman who discovered your music in the sixties and have followed it ever since.The passage of my life since that beginning can be echoed in the majic of your lyrics.In the early seventies I travelled from the east coast of Scotland to Glasgow in the west..for you were appearing in the Apollo Theatre .The crowd that night were not forgiving,the first half of the concert did not go down well...you walked off..people walked out ...I prayed ..you walked back...you sat down on a stool,your guitar in hand,,said something like,,"to show the this guy can still sing",,the theatre hushed ,,you sang,, at the end I remember jumping up slapping palms together until they were numb,,cheering and cheering,,,you showed them all,...You never came back to Scotland ,,but we never forgot you. It is twenty odd years since then ,I made a journey to Canada,,for adventure,,fuelled by the images you created,,from Ontario across country ,,to BC,,Vancouver Island ,,Saw you in Victoria last year,,like me you are a wee bit older,but still ,you have the majick,,god bless and keep you safe ,,a Happy Birthday from your number one Scottish fan.Graham from Dundee.

Old 10-12-2000, 08:11 PM   #69
GRAHAM DONACHIE

Dear Gordon Lightfoot, I'm a scotsman who discovered your music in the sixties and have followed it ever since.The passage of my life since that beginning can be echoed in the majic of your lyrics.In the early seventies I travelled from the east coast of Scotland to Glasgow in the west..for you were appearing in the Apollo Theatre .The crowd that night were not forgiving,the first half of the concert did not go down well...you walked off..people walked out ...I prayed ..you walked back...you sat down on a stool,your guitar in hand,,said something like,,"to show the this guy can still sing",,the theatre hushed ,,you sang,, at the end I remember jumping up slapping palms together until they were numb,,cheering and cheering,,,you showed them all,...You never came back to Scotland ,,but we never forgot you. It is twenty odd years since then ,I made a journey to Canada,,for adventure,,fuelled by the images you created,,from Ontario across country ,,to BC,,Vancouver Island ,,Saw you in Victoria last year,,like me you are a wee bit older,but still ,you have the majick,,god bless and keep you safe ,,a Happy Birthday from your number one Scottish fan.Graham from Dundee.

Old 10-12-2000, 10:54 PM   #70
Graham Donachie

Dear Gordon LIghtfoot, I am a scotsman who first discovered your music way back in the sixties.To say that I was captivated would be an understatment.My chance to see you perform live did not come until the mid seventies when you appeared at the Apollo Theatre in Glasgow.I travelled from Dundee on the east coast to the west for the concert,,.The evening was not the most enjoyable I ever experienced as the audience was very vocal and not at all sympathetic.You walked off....people began leaving...with a lump in my throat I prayed,,,You walked on,,,the crowd hushed...You said something like.."This is to prove this guy can still pull of f a tune "..then you started to sing..no backup,just you and your guitar,,When you finished I thought I would burst for joy,,my palms were sore for the clapping of them,my throat hoarse with the emotion that I felt..I will never forget that night...It is twenty odd years now and in that tyme I came to Canada on a whim seeking and finding adventure..From my travels east from Toronto by bus to the shining sea in the west I was carried overland singing the songs of Gordon Lightfoot..May the good lord bless you and keep you around for many birhdays to come..from your number one Scottish fan..Graham Donachie..
Old 10-14-2000, 04:33 PM   #71
Graham Donachie

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
Happy Birthday, Gordon Lightfoot!

Gordon Lightfoot's birthday is on November 17th, 2000.

As suggested, I'd like to collect all birthday wishes under one topic, and I'll then print it out and send it to Gordon Lightfoot.

Please post your birthday greeting by clicking on the "Post Reply" button.

I'm sure he will be most happy to see how much he is appreciated all around the world.

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited September 24, 2000).]

Old 10-15-2000, 08:05 PM   #72
acecooker

DEar Gordon,
Have been listening to your music since High School back in Detroit, Mich days. Too many years to mention. But we saw you for the first time while living in Los Angeles. When you sang about the Edmund Fitzgerald it made us very home sick. Didn't even know The Maritime Sailors cathedral existed until you sang about it. Now we always go by when we visit the area. We have enjoyed your music all these years. We have played it to our children and now you will be visiting Univ. of Missourri where our daughter goes to school and we will go there to hear you in concert there. Happy Birthday and may you keep on wrinting moe great songs. Please sing Don Quiote when you come.
Paul and Laurel

Old 10-15-2000, 08:10 PM   #73
Dawne

Thanks for the memories. It's been a great ride. Your music takes me back to a time of innocence. May you stay forever young!

Old 10-15-2000, 09:39 PM   #74
Laura

The Best Birthday Wishes to one of my favorite singers. Many of your songs I have listened to frequently and now hold some of my favorite memories. Thanks for the years of great music... from my favorite records as a child, to my CD collection today. Thanks.
Best Wishes in the years to come!
Old 10-15-2000, 10:46 PM   #75
donnartiste@home.com

Happy Birthday Gordon
To a Canadian Legend, much loved and admired. Your songs have touched us all and painted a vivid picture in our hearts and minds, of this vast country,Canada. Thank you for being a part of our lives providing us with the treasures of your artistry. Please know that you mean so much to so many and we wish you all the good things that life has to offer.

Closed Thread