banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-16-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
fowlesjohn

Spent the week rolling around Lake Erie this weekend. The ship's Captain mentioned several times about Gordo's boat and how fantastic it is compared to others on the lakes. Just thought you'd like to know...
GSS
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:07 PM   #2
gwen snyder

Spent the week rolling around Lake Erie this weekend. The ship's Captain mentioned several times about Gordo's boat and how fantastic it is compared to others on the lakes. Just thought you'd like to know...
GSS
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

Unless this is something very recent, it must be his former sailboat, "The Golden Goose" (his first was "Sundown"). He gave up owning sailboats some time ago (too many rocks in the Great Lakes, he said, LOL).

Wayne Francis posted part of an article from YACHTING magazine on the GG - sounds like a beauty.[warning: LONG] "Macks" refers to the Mackinac races.

As a followup to the question about Lightfoot's sailing and more specifically about his second boat, the Golden Goose, here is an excerpt from a 1979 article from Yachting magazine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS GOOSE IS GOLDEN
It was the summer of 1976 when Gordon Lightfoot decided it was time to have the halyards quieted down on his stock 39-footer. The cacophony they raised when they whacked against the aluminum spar was a bit too much for the ears of this Canadian folksinger, who said he was tired of fiddling around with his old boat. So the people at his marina steered Lightfoot to Victor Carpenter, the designer and master craftsman behind Superior Sailboats, a unique and nearly self-sufficient one-off wooden boatyard in the quiet town of Port McNicoll, Ontario.
Once he'd seen for himself the caliber of Sitka spruce masts produced by this Canadian outfit, Lightfoot considered a new stick for his yacht, Sundown, instead of alterations on his aluminum mast. But Carpenter suggested that he foam the aluminum mast's interior, and Lightfoot went along with the suggestion. With the halyard slapping problem out of the way, the two decided that a test between Sundown and O-Race, Carpenter's latest creation, would be in order. It only took one sail for Lightfoot to become a lifetime fan of Carpenter's work. He was so impressed with O-Race's 28-foot natural mahogany hull that he hailed the praise to Carpenter while the two boats were sailing side by side. "She's absolutely beautiful," Lightfoot called over. "Whattaya say to a big cruiser that'll still come through in the Macks?"
Once ashore, Carpenter pulled out plans and a mahogany model to just such a boat - a 45-foot hull that he had drawn up in 1970, but never developed beyond the drawing board. As he and Lightfoot hashed out the boat's potential, strength and cost, the subject of wood kept cropping up. "You wouldn't buy a fiberglass guitar, would you," he asked Lightfoot. "I've played fiberglass backed guitars," Lightfoot replied, "but mine is an all-wood 12-string. But I'm no wood freak," he added, perhaps wary of the cost of building with wood. Even so, it took only one day for Lightfoot to talk himself into ordering the 45-footer in wood, at an undisclosed cost. She was to be Golden Goose, a custom gold-plater of a cruising sloop.
Lightfoot laid down his requirements and then gave Carpenter the unbridled hand he deserved. The main cabin was to have plush upholstery, plenty of seating space for entertaining, and a couple of bunks. Lightfoot wanted a queen-sized bunk in the skipper's cabin aft, along with a head with shower, navigation bench and a passageway to the main cabin. The forward stateroom would have private head access, substantial cabinet space and another queen-sized bunk. These requirements were filled, and the boat was launched last season (1978), in time for the Macks. The navigation station, just to the port of helm, is so well endowed that Lightfoot titled his last album "Endless Wire," after seeing the task before the electrician.

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

Unless this is something very recent, it must be his former sailboat, "The Golden Goose" (his first was "Sundown"). He gave up owning sailboats some time ago (too many rocks in the Great Lakes, he said, LOL).

Wayne Francis posted part of an article from YACHTING magazine on the GG - sounds like a beauty.[warning: LONG] "Macks" refers to the Mackinac races.

As a followup to the question about Lightfoot's sailing and more specifically about his second boat, the Golden Goose, here is an excerpt from a 1979 article from Yachting magazine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS GOOSE IS GOLDEN
It was the summer of 1976 when Gordon Lightfoot decided it was time to have the halyards quieted down on his stock 39-footer. The cacophony they raised when they whacked against the aluminum spar was a bit too much for the ears of this Canadian folksinger, who said he was tired of fiddling around with his old boat. So the people at his marina steered Lightfoot to Victor Carpenter, the designer and master craftsman behind Superior Sailboats, a unique and nearly self-sufficient one-off wooden boatyard in the quiet town of Port McNicoll, Ontario.
Once he'd seen for himself the caliber of Sitka spruce masts produced by this Canadian outfit, Lightfoot considered a new stick for his yacht, Sundown, instead of alterations on his aluminum mast. But Carpenter suggested that he foam the aluminum mast's interior, and Lightfoot went along with the suggestion. With the halyard slapping problem out of the way, the two decided that a test between Sundown and O-Race, Carpenter's latest creation, would be in order. It only took one sail for Lightfoot to become a lifetime fan of Carpenter's work. He was so impressed with O-Race's 28-foot natural mahogany hull that he hailed the praise to Carpenter while the two boats were sailing side by side. "She's absolutely beautiful," Lightfoot called over. "Whattaya say to a big cruiser that'll still come through in the Macks?"
Once ashore, Carpenter pulled out plans and a mahogany model to just such a boat - a 45-foot hull that he had drawn up in 1970, but never developed beyond the drawing board. As he and Lightfoot hashed out the boat's potential, strength and cost, the subject of wood kept cropping up. "You wouldn't buy a fiberglass guitar, would you," he asked Lightfoot. "I've played fiberglass backed guitars," Lightfoot replied, "but mine is an all-wood 12-string. But I'm no wood freak," he added, perhaps wary of the cost of building with wood. Even so, it took only one day for Lightfoot to talk himself into ordering the 45-footer in wood, at an undisclosed cost. She was to be Golden Goose, a custom gold-plater of a cruising sloop.
Lightfoot laid down his requirements and then gave Carpenter the unbridled hand he deserved. The main cabin was to have plush upholstery, plenty of seating space for entertaining, and a couple of bunks. Lightfoot wanted a queen-sized bunk in the skipper's cabin aft, along with a head with shower, navigation bench and a passageway to the main cabin. The forward stateroom would have private head access, substantial cabinet space and another queen-sized bunk. These requirements were filled, and the boat was launched last season (1978), in time for the Macks. The navigation station, just to the port of helm, is so well endowed that Lightfoot titled his last album "Endless Wire," after seeing the task before the electrician.

Old 06-16-2003, 01:29 PM   #5
fowlesjohn

Hm-m...pretty cool Annie. I think our shipmate was talking about something that exists now, so is this Gords' boat now? The Captain mentioned his boat, not his sailboat...
GSS
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:29 PM   #6
gwen snyder

Hm-m...pretty cool Annie. I think our shipmate was talking about something that exists now, so is this Gords' boat now? The Captain mentioned his boat, not his sailboat...
GSS
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:43 PM   #7
Auburn Annie

I *think* he sold the Golden Goose (maybe back to Carpenter.) I wasn't aware that he owns any sailboat now.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:43 PM   #8
Auburn Annie

I *think* he sold the Golden Goose (maybe back to Carpenter.) I wasn't aware that he owns any sailboat now.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:36 PM   #9
Tyler

Thanks Annie, That explains the title to Endless Wire.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:36 PM   #10
brink

brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #11
TOM H

I am a performing folk musician in Virginia. My musical partner, an avid sailer, recently purchased Gordon's orginal boat, Sundown. She is a 39 foot Erickson and ended up in these waters after Gordon sold her to a fellow by the name of Simon - Simon sailed Sundown throughout the eastern seas and finally became the general foreman at a small marina in Coles Point, Virginia. Marc Carraway, my musical partner, who is a very talented songwriter ("powerful voice and a true knack for songwriting". Bluegrass Unlimited"), is refurbishing Sundown and plans to continue sailing and creating music on her for years to come! It's a thrill to sit down in her cabin on Saturday nights, making music knowing of her history the the unsurpassed talent of her legendary original owner. If someone can ever get word to Gordon, please let him know that the Sundown is in good hands and will continue to sail throughout this part of the world. Best to you - John Whitlow, Earlysville, Virginia
TOM H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #12
John Whitlow

I am a performing folk musician in Virginia. My musical partner, an avid sailer, recently purchased Gordon's orginal boat, Sundown. She is a 39 foot Erickson and ended up in these waters after Gordon sold her to a fellow by the name of Simon - Simon sailed Sundown throughout the eastern seas and finally became the general foreman at a small marina in Coles Point, Virginia. Marc Carraway, my musical partner, who is a very talented songwriter ("powerful voice and a true knack for songwriting". Bluegrass Unlimited"), is refurbishing Sundown and plans to continue sailing and creating music on her for years to come! It's a thrill to sit down in her cabin on Saturday nights, making music knowing of her history the the unsurpassed talent of her legendary original owner. If someone can ever get word to Gordon, please let him know that the Sundown is in good hands and will continue to sail throughout this part of the world. Best to you - John Whitlow, Earlysville, Virginia
John Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:53 PM   #13
Borderstone

Actually,Mr. Whitlow,you can contact Gordon through his new Company Linus Entertainment. They have a web address on one of these other posts and a regular mail address where you can write to him in care of the company itself. If you want to make it a more personal touch,that is.

I found your story to be an interesting one and downright cool! So,as Gordon said in "Triangle"(to paraphrase)"So keep a good grip,on that ole' sailing ship!" Bye now!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:12 PM   #14
Jack

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Actually,Mr. Whitlow,you can contact Gordon through his new Company Linus Entertainment.

Or you might want to save time and cut out the middle man and send Gord a note directly to his own production company, EMP. Most likely that is where anything that Linus gets for Gord is forwarded to:

Early Morning Productions
1365 Yonge St.#207
Toronto,Ontario
M4T 2P7

I bet he would get a kick out of hearing your story, John and to hear that she is in good hands.

FYI - I realize that you know the difference Borderstone, but to set the record straight, lest any less informed person should wander through, Linus is not Gord's company. It's the company that has the new contract for marketing/releasing his upcoming cd.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:12 PM   #15
Jack

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Actually,Mr. Whitlow,you can contact Gordon through his new Company Linus Entertainment.

Or you might want to save time and cut out the middle man and send Gord a note directly to his own production company, EMP. Most likely that is where anything that Linus gets for Gord is forwarded to:

Early Morning Productions
1365 Yonge St.#207
Toronto,Ontario
M4T 2P7

I bet he would get a kick out of hearing your story, John and to hear that she is in good hands.

FYI - I realize that you know the difference Borderstone, but to set the record straight, lest any less informed person should wander through, Linus is not Gord's company. It's the company that has the new contract for marketing/releasing his upcoming cd.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:00 PM   #16
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by brink:
I was intrigued by a recent google alert about an album by The Who confusingly entitled
"Endless Wire" which became a recent thread on the newsgroup.I was therefore surprised just now to find in clearing off a floppy disc that in June last year I had saved a CDUNIVERSE webpage for an unconnected purpose and that it features this album from 2005

Could this be another effort by zoneranger I wonder??

[ November 01, 2006, 09:17: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:00 PM   #17
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by brink:
I was intrigued by a recent google alert about an album by The Who confusingly entitled
"Endless Wire" which became a recent thread on the newsgroup.I was therefore surprised just now to find in clearing off a floppy disc that in June last year I had saved a CDUNIVERSE webpage for an unconnected purpose and that it features this album from 2005

Could this be another effort by zoneranger I wonder??

[ November 01, 2006, 09:17: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote