banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-20-2003, 01:57 PM   #1
seahawk11

I don't have anything to do with the auction, but I thought I'd pass this along: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1053
'Waiting for You' is worth the starting price alone...
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Thanks, I just placed the 1st bid. DMD3, this might be a good way to fill out your collection.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:37 PM   #3
TheWatchman

What a great deal this may be for somebody. I won't bid against you Bill. Snipe it at the end. It's the best way to get a good deal.

By the way, I have about a dozen original CD's of Waiting For You. A few of them are still wrapped. They are locked in the vault along with my other Lightfoot crap. I have that famous Zippo you know.

Oh yeah. Sorry. Edited only to add the part about the CD's and the Zippo. I did not delete anything or change the meaning in my original statement in anyway shape or form.

[This message has been edited by TheWatchman (edited October 20, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by TheWatchman (edited October 20, 2003).]
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:09 PM   #4
Borderstone

Hi Watchman! Borderstone here (of course.)
You must've had a field day when you bought all those copies of Waiting For You! Wow! Did you do the same for other CD's like Painter and Complete GH? I sure wish I could buy a few at a time like that myself. I have Painter of course & the only thing wrong with it is that a page is missing from the lyric sheet (I got it used but for a nice price!) Sitting here green with envy,it's been me,later!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:41 AM   #5
BILLW

Watchman,
I put the first bid out there low to test the water. I'll see if it's worth sniping but the moving men are packing us up on the day it ends so my PC will be boxed, LOL. I was going to relate the untold part of the story about the rescue, when you fed him some slab bacon, in the "bacon" thread, but why don't you you tell her.
Borderstone,
The grass only looks greener on the other side of the fence, things will get better.

Bill
Old 10-21-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
Oma

What is something like this worth? Or is that a dumb question? Please, anyone who has an idea of what something like this is worth, send me an email or post here. I would be interested in this collection as there are many albums in it that I don't have yet! Thanks!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:26 AM   #7
Jenney

quote:Originally posted by Oma:
What is something like this worth? Or is that a dumb question? Please, anyone who has an idea of what something like this is worth, send me an email or post here. I would be interested in this collection as there are many albums in it that I don't have yet! Thanks!

Well, the simple answer is, what is it worth to you? I have a small antique business and I always say it isn't so much what the item is worth, it's how much it is worth to you.

That said, if you figure each cd is about $10 (there are a few doubles in there I believe), that comes out to close to $200. If you decide that you would only pay half for used cds, that's $100. Then you might even figure $5 per used cd, subtracting the ones you already have, and bid that amount. It's all up to you what it's worth, but I would think $5.00 per used cd is very fair.
Jenney

Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #8
TheWatchman

Oma,

Anthing under $100 is an absolute steal. I would not be surprised if bidding ends at about $75. Of course, if many on this site start to bid the price up, that can change.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
BILLW

Great answer Jenney.

Oma, if you are interested in this item I will gladly back off. But don't bid now or you will drive the price up. Wait until about 10 minutes before the item is set to close and see what the price is then. At that point if your maximum price would take it put your bid in then ( about two minutes if you can hold back ) This does not give anyone else the time to outbid you. But put in the maximum you are willing to pay right up front. You won't pay that unless someone else has a proxy bid sitting out there.

Sorry - was that too much detail?

Bill
Old 10-21-2003, 11:26 AM   #10
Oma

Thanks for the replies Jenney, watchman & Bill! Good information!

Bill...yes, too much detail ! I have never bid on anything on ebay! I had a friend bid on, and win for me, the "Waiting For You" cd once...but, that is about as much as I know about ebay! I may ask my friend to bid on this set of Cd's for me, but didn't know how much I should expect to pay for something like this AND don't know how much I should spend on myself this close to Christmas!!! Do the auctions usually end in the middle of the night? If I do try for this set...I will wait so I don't drive the price up! That much I understood! I don't want anyone here on this board to miss out on it because you are all waiting for me to get it...I may not be able to afford it! Does look like "just the thing" though!

Edited to add....What is a proxy bid?

[This message has been edited by Oma (edited October 21, 2003).]
Old 10-21-2003, 12:26 PM   #11
DMD3

With only 3 minutes left the price will go up like a rocket goes when first launched. Don't be surprised during the last few minutes if the price is $5.00 one minute and you click reload or refresh and then it's $50.00 or more. That kind of stuff happens from time to time( I don't get on Ebay often, so I wouldn't know for sure).
Old 10-21-2003, 02:58 PM   #12
gwen snyder

Oma on that page the URL is sent to, there is a date and time that the bidding is over that is when the auction was set to end! Did you see it?
G
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:59 PM   #13
TheWatchman

Oma, like Bill says, wait for the last minutes to bid. The best way is to refresh the page and time it to see how long it takes to reload. For example, if my pc takes 8 seconds to refresh that particular page, I will get my bid filled out and wait till there is eleven seconds left and then bid. That is called sniping and many people on Ebay are trying to get rules against it. The best way for them to discourage sniping would be to allow the top two bidders to make one final bid once the auction is over. Of course this should be up to the person holding the auction to decide. They can opt for this when they are listing their item. If not, then snipe away. This is just my opinion but it is fair and would work.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:36 PM   #14
Oma

Thanks Gwen...what time is this Central?

Ends Oct-29-03 18:03:44 PST

Watchman, hopefully my bidding friend knows the ins and outs of ebaying like you do!

Gotta run...kids await!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #15
BILLW

Oma,

The ebay website explains proxy bidding in detail but in short: if you are willing to pay $50.00 for an item and the current bid is $12.00 and they accept increments of $1.00 then if you put $50.00 as your bid it would show up as $13.00 and you would be the high bidder. So if someone comes in late and tries to snipe you at say $29.99 your bid would then pop up as $30.99 ($1.00 increment) and you are still the high bidder. The sniper would have to try another bid and if they were waiting too long they couldn't execute it. So wait 'til close to the end BUT then put your highest amount in first and then wait it out. It's sort of fun but can be nervewracking. All these points are moot if the price goes over $100.00 because at that price you could round them all up new, except for Waiting For You.

Phew, that's a mouthful, sorry,

Bill
Old 10-21-2003, 07:55 PM   #16
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK I am not trying to duplicate Bill's response just that he posted while I was composing my reply. So as something of a paraphrase here follows my thoughts:-
Or read about sniping and download a free trial of some software from:- http://www.auction-sentry.com/
I have never tried it myself because after a few problems when I first bid on e-bay I am banned from bidding.I did successfully get a PAL Betamax VCR from a seller in north welsh Wales a couple of years ago in order to continue being able to watch and/or convert to NTSC a large collection of Betamax videos (some rare and much revered) I had brought with me from England after my ancient (1982) Sony C5UB Beta machine gave up the ghost (as in my experience many things electronic made by Sony are prone to do at a tender age!!).
I would also recommend deciding in advance your very highest bid and bid that amount as under ebay's proxy bidding system you will only apparently pay enough to beat the otherwise highest bidder. It is rather disconcerting at first for example if the current high bid is (as the 19 CDs now are)$13.75 and the increment is 50c and you bid say $55 it will then show you as the highest bidder at a value of $14.25 not $55. Sure got me worried the first time I bid!!
But Bill you were quite right it can be nerveracking and thast is why I rec0ommended that DnD3 gdet the 3-cD set at the "buy it now" price of $14.93 as in the current auction:- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6&category=307

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited October 21, 2003).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:55 PM   #17
brink

Oma, that would be 20:03:44 Central. But remember daylight savings time. I did find a few Waiting for You cd's on the amazon site. The new ones are going for $20.00 each. That might help you decide what to pay for the lot of them. A side note, I got sniped bidding on a Two Tones album once, I haave an old computer not very fast. Thought I had it for a very reasonable price and then someone else's name came up. I had stayed up till the wee hours of the morning trying to win it. Alas, I didn't like being sniped.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:44 AM   #18
BILLW

brink,

you're right, getting sniped stinks. But if you have your absolute highest amount placed then if you lose at the end you've actually been outbid, if you are trying to get a bargain that's usually when you can fall victim to the latecomers. rationalizing, you bet, LOL

Bill
Old 10-22-2003, 10:15 AM   #19
Oma

Thanks for the good info everyone! I appreciate your time and typing talents! I do already have 5 cd's of the set that is being auctioned off, so maybe I would be better off to buy them one at a time, buying only the cd's that I don't already have. That way I can buy them as I can afford them, rather than going for a whole collection at once! Right now I am really wanting Gord's Gold...I am really missing the songs on that album, especially "Song for a Winter's Night".

You all are so knowledgeable about all aspects of GL music (and time zones too! )...it blows my mind!
Old 10-22-2003, 12:10 PM   #20
DMD3

My mom bids every now and then. She is actually 'Nugentgirl5' if she's ever bought anything from anyone on this forum. Sometimes, when she snipes, she makes it go $1.01 above the current price just to make sure. I make it go several dollars and 2 cents when I try to snipe.

Old 10-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #21
BILLW

Oma,

Sounds like a good plan. Simpler too !

Bill