banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-23-2000, 07:31 AM   #1
Silver Heels

Gord was last in Britain in the summer of '81 and I think its way past the time for a return visit from the Master - especially after reading all the brilliant posts from you guys who see him in concert on a regular basis. Am I jealous? Of course I am!
So I reckon we in the Uk need to collaborate on a plan to get him back. I have heard that he is interested if the demand is good enough. Let's make the demand so good he will be unable to refuse. So any UK Lighthead reading this post, please contact me. Let's start getting this trip together.
Please mail me. I'd love to hear from you all - I want to see Gordon Lightfoot at the Royal Albert Hall once again. If tht's too ambitious there's always the Royal Festival Hall. Let's do it!
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 08:48 AM   #2
Florian

Hi Silver Heels,

Excellent idea. Even though I don't live in the UK, I'd rather fly to London than someplace over the Atlantic (except Massey-Hall in Toronto).

Maybe someone close to Gordon Lightfoot and/or his management could suggest the right way to convince him to come to Europe?

Maybe a petition that gets signed by a lot of people? Individual requests sent to EMP?
Or do we put up our hopes in vain?
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 05:28 PM   #3
A Painter

Hi Silver Heels,
Let's not be specific about the venue - Somewhere UK will do just fine. I feel sure there is a strong chance. I also feel sure that someone very close to Lightfoot visits this site regularly. The message must get back. However, we can't rely on that, so any suggestions from anyone from anywhere would be very much appreciated.
I have a couple of ideas which I will mail to you soon.

------------------
"some people join the party, and others say goodnight"
A Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2000, 04:14 AM   #4
Frank v

Hi Silver Heels.

It's good to know there's another Lightfoot fan so close to home.
That "unhappy '81 tour" was not the ideal parting with this country.

Florian,
I've just got back from Paris.
Most of the second hand record and book stores in the Latin quarter from years ago,have gone.
(The Virgin Megastore is almost identical to the one in London.)
I have managed to obtain a six page two part interview with GL from a recent "country music" magazine,with great photos.
Have you seen it?
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned on this site.

Frank v.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2000, 04:49 AM   #5
Florian

Hi Frank v,

I hope you enjoyed your trip to France.

No, I haven't seen this article, but you can bet I'm interested in getting a copy. Could I trouble you to do so?

Maybe you can send it to me via fax, my number is: 0043-1-877 82 99. Or via airmail?

Or if it is still on sale, maybe you can give me the details, as name of the magazine, issue etc.

Many thanks.
Old 04-24-2000, 04:50 AM   #6
Florian

P.S.:
Of course I will have it typed and put on my website, so everyone can read it.
Old 04-24-2000, 09:02 AM   #7
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

The magazine is Country Music People. The published interview (part 1 in Feb issue; part 2 in Mar issue) is based on the BBC Merceyside interview broadcast last Nov 9 and 10, recorded earlier in the Fall in Toronto. I - uh - ordered a few sets and will have some left over (at cost, of course). If you are in the UK or the Continent, it would be easiest to order from them. (Web site at www.countrymusicpeople.com ).

In that interview, Lightfoot is asked about returning to the UK, and he says he could do that.

------------------
Valerie Magee
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2000, 09:26 AM   #8
Florian

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for the info. I have already sent them an email ordering these two issues.
Old 04-24-2000, 09:48 AM   #9
Frank v

Florian,
Unfortunately the magazine is not on sale in the shops anymore.
I have only a photocopy of it.
It was sent to me by Peter O'Brien,Omaha Rainbow editor.The person who sent me the concert programmes.(When are they going online?)He also sent me the home address in Merseyside of Spencer Leigh,the interviewer.
I might write to him concerning future developments.If there's any more news I'll let you know.

Frank v.
Old 04-24-2000, 02:27 PM   #10
Silver Heels

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank v:
[B]Hi Silver Heels.

It's good to know there's another Lightfoot fan so close to home.
That "unhappy '81 tour" was not the ideal parting with this country.
Frank - tried to email you but it came back
'host unknown'. Please email me. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2000, 03:44 PM   #11
Florian

quote:Originally posted by Frank v:
Florian,
the concert programmes.
When are they going online?

Hi Frank v,

Definately during this week.

Old 04-25-2000, 01:37 AM   #12
Frank v

Silver Heels,
I will.
I can't figure out the problem.
I need to get some outside assistance.

As well as being GL fans and living in London we also have another thing in common.

{Now, I wonder what that is...}

Old 04-25-2000, 10:46 AM   #13
Silver Heels

quote:Originally posted by Frank v:
Silver Heels,
I will.
I can't figure out the problem.
I need to get some outside assistance.

As well as being GL fans and living in London we also have another thing in common.

{Now, I wonder what that is...}

Okay Frank, you have my full attention now.
What is it?
Old 04-25-2000, 12:33 PM   #14
Frank v

Silver Heels,
I'm going to attempt to get this email sorted out this week.
I Will mail you when i do.
I also want to contact Florian,janice and Painter.
I'm very aware i've put in a lot of posts on this forum.Some of which would have been better suited to personal mail.Which is why i need to get it sorted.

Frank.
Old 04-27-2000, 03:50 PM   #15
rainydayperson

Absolutely agree with the Great Man making a return to these shores. I too saw him in '81, in Birmingham, England, and it was clear he'd had a very stressful time in Ireland. Maybe now that the conflict there is less intense there could be an excuse to come back, to make a visit to Ireland 20 years on (as well as visiting other cities on the mainland). A lack of performances here has led to a less than high profile, although I'm always pleased to see the number of CDs of his in the shops.
Although the Rainyday family lives some distance from the nearest likely venue, we'd all turn out if he did come. I'd be interested to know what ideas you've got in mind. Like you I'm extremely jealous of our friends in North America who have the opportunity to see him throughout the year, nevertheless it's good to hear their detailed concert descriptions, and all the minutiae therein.

------------------
As cool as the breeze on the last days of April

[This message has been edited by rainydayperson (edited April 28, 2000).]
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 04:36 PM   #16
Silver Heels

quote:Originally posted by rainydayperson:
Absolutely agree with the Great Man making a return to these shores. I too saw him in '81, in Birmingham, England, and it was clear he'd had a very stressful time in Ireland. Maybe now that the conflict there is less intense there could be an excuse to come back, to make a visit to Ireland 10 years on (as well as visiting other cities on the mainland). A lack of performances here has led to a less than high profile, although I'm always pleased to see the number of CDs of his in the shops.
Although the Rainyday family lives some distance from the nearest likely venue, we'd all turn out if he did come. I'd be interested to know what ideas you've got in mind. Like you I'm extremely jealous of our friends in North America who have the opportunity to see him throughout the year, nevertheless it's good to hear their detailed concert descriptions, and all the minutiae therein.

Hi Rainydayfamily, so pleased to see your post. Can you email me ? Look forward to hearing from you.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #17
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

this old topic was referred to in one reply to the old topic cleverly pointed out by CHar in which Gord confirmed my point about he and Terry Whelan trying to sound like the Everly Brothers at the time of the first (1961) Mariposa Festival and was on of the earliest if not the earliest topic started by young Silverheels (she started it on April 23 2000 only 10 days since she had registered on corfid and probably soon after Susan had met her in the chat room (I was meanwhile in hospital trying to learn how to walk again after my stroke in the preceeding January...yes I succeeded and was very pleased to have been able to walk the whole way across the Sydney Harbour Bridge last month)
Note that this topic's title "Uk fan unite" indicates that Bru at that time thought that she must be the only UK fan!!!
Anyway having been at the 1972 and 1981 GL concerts and having missed at least two in between, plus having been an undergraduate at the adjacent City and Giulds College (part of Imperial College (err umm University of South Ken(sington) as we liked to call it! ) the 1972 concert was remarkable as it featured both Terry Clements and Red Shea together on stage,as lead and "second lead" guitarists Gord said when he introduced them.
I also attended the The Hoffnung Astronautical Music Festival there in 1961
who he???

from
http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/pr...RT_BBCW_000165
Gerard Hoffnung was not only a gifted cartoonist but also a ground-breaking musician, best known for his wildly humorous concerts at the Royal Festival Hall, which featured such bizarre compositions as a concerto for three vacuum cleaners and an electric floor polisher. Wrong!! it was the Albert Hall not the Festival Hall , which I read the other day has just reopened after an extensive and expensive face lift

reduced size version of the original on the site announcing a new restaurant on the third floor note the London Eye wheel
regarding that hilarious Hoffnung festival Gerard's long suffering wife Annette I recall was the virtuoso artiste "playing" the floor polisher.I was sitting in reduced price "student" seats behind the orchestra and in front of the magnificent organ

Cornish Choirs on the stage once graced by Gord
The view of the interior from the stage is awesome
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote