banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-08-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
alex

if you are interested, see Item number: 280005569406
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Always irritates me when I see someone who bought more than one. This guy has three "left"; doesn't say how many he started with but implies he had more. He must be the person who bought five (someone told me about that), unless there were two people who bought many. This helps explain why there are so many I don't know the whereabouts of. People who bought for "investment" usually aren't proud of it.

Sorry for the rant, but this really bothers me. There were so few of these guitars, and many people (including friends of mine) paid a big premium to get one. When somebody inflates the price by hoarding the guitars, it isn't right.

Interesting that it is in "upstate NY". And, no, it absolutely isn't mine (which is the standard mahogany).
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
charlene

with just 13 hours left for bidding someone listed as 'calgary1' has bid $5100.00 u.s.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
with just 13 hours left for bidding someone listed as 'calgary1' has bid $5100.00 u.s.
3 hours left now
Interesting the seller "Debra200" has apparently been anm ebay member since April 2002 originally in Canada but now "ships from upper NY state"
ebay item 280005569406 is now up to $5800 calgary1 having been pushed up by others
This is a Martin D-18GL, Number 8 of 61 (Serial Number 794492).
the seller says
"I had the good fortune to acquire a few of these outstanding Instruments, as the original owner, when they were first issued. I now own just three and have decided the time has come to sell this one. This is the last one I will sell. ( I am retaining two for my personal collection.)"
so that's all right then.
Gordon is presumably aware that this person had it because it would appear that he personally signed it

Thinks.. if the original quantity 5 or less were all signed (again knowingly by Gord) then Debra must of done a fair bit of lugging them around at some concert or other.
If that is the case then I am surprised that he consented to signing them all together at one time (possibly) in the first place
Just my few thousand dollars worth!
John Fowles
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
johnfowles

an amazing coincidence?? I think not!!!
The auction above ebay number 280005569406 by debra200 of "upper NY state" earlier in Canada
for
"This is a Martin D-18GL, Number 8 of 61 (Serial Number 794492)."
"personally signed" by Gord as per the picture I previously displayed above

that auction of the guitar in finally ended as recently as Monday the 17th the winner was at $8100 one
kenemmertdesigns of the United states
Now today the 20th by magic sleight of hand
a little while ago I swear I saw a new ebay auction listed at:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/GORDON-LIGHTFOOT...QQcmdZViewItem
it has now gone
and clicking the link above which is as I first saw it now produces a page headed
"This listing (#180009533869) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number."
I ain't that stoopid , shut up hooligan (sydney) Steve
Yet when I first saw the listing and opened up that auction page
a seller one blaze1007 of Montana quite a ways from upper NY state I would say
was claiming to be offering
"My father is the Original Owner"
note that Debra had declared in her listing
"I am the Original Owner."
so does blaze1007 have a father with the unlikely name Debra possibly??
and guess what
this one is also personally signed by Gord:-

note that this photo that I saw on the "phantom" auction page is still there obviously
pretty quick work methinks I noted that the two photograph links are actually not the same
and that the second picture is 20% smaller than the first
"blaze " also offered
"If you want to purchase this guitar only for $2500 please mail me at ebetivul@aol.com and I will tell you all conditions"
amazingly both Debra and Blaze stated
"I had the good fortune to acquire a few of these outstanding Instruments, as the original owner, when they were first issued. I now own just three and have decided the time has come to sell this one. This is the last one I will sell. ( I am retaining two for my personal collection.)"
in fact blaze's text is/was suspiciously pretty well identical to Debra's
with the obvious exception that he/she omitted to proofread and decide who in this case should be the "original owner" blaze or his poppa!!
all text for the second auction was copied from the auction page before the auction was cancelled
Does anybody else smell a scam being set up??
Anybody here friendly with the FBI??
Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #6
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

The second auction is obviously a scam. The first is "probably" authentic. As I said, I had no record of #8, nor do I know anyone who admitted to 3 or more guitars, so it is very believeable that "Debra" had #8 and the others.

Speaking of scams, there was another D-18GL auction which ran during the time #8 was up. It was either a 3-day or 5-day auction, and showed up a day or two after #8. That auction listing has no pictures (they were promised, but were never added), plus no guitar number was given. The guitar was "won" for a mere $3495. I wrote to the buyer, via the Ebay message facility, to suggest that he be careful because I had doubts about the auction's authenticity. The buyer responded that he too had concerns and as of that time he had not been able to finalize satisfactory payment terms. He never responded again, so I don't know how that turned out.

My guess is that #8 is real, and somebody has had the pleasure of shelling out $8100 for the guitar. That's really a shame, especially because this seller inflated the price by purchasing multiples and then selling at a price inflated by her own actions.

It's a lovely guitar, but it isn't worth $8100. Too bad it isn't illegal to hoard and sell.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
johnfowles

"his father's son",a seller from Montana, is at it again (selling his father's own original d18GL as the original owner himself)
But this time as a one day listing not by debra or blaze_random number but by olaffubbooks
(sounds a likely tale) at a starting price of $456, gee I wonder how that figure was arrived at
"If you want to purchase this guitar only for $2500 please mail me at ebetivul@aol.com and I will tell you all conditions"

amazingly in view of the above,this is a Martin D-18GL, Number 8 of 61 (Serial Number 794492).
Just how many were numbered number 8???
Must be the air in Montana??
ebay auction started 26 July ends 27 July

[ July 26, 2006, 17:49: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
johnfowles

Simply amazing
yet another (wise)ass(....) is now offerring
recognise the picture??

and again claiming
AND
"I had the good fortune to acquire a few of these outstanding Instruments, as the original owner, when they were first issued. I now own just three and have decided the time has come to sell this one. This is the last one I will sell. ( I am retaining two for my personal collection"
The important difference this time is that the seller is "bond2" who claims regarding the item:-
"Item location: London, United Kingdom "

BUT
Meet the seller
Seller: bond2( 2009)
Member: since Jan-19-98 in United States
Registered as a private seller
and the feedback for his his last completed auction shows that he/she is in Florida

it was previously on offer from (at least) Upper New York state and/or Montana
I guess it took that long to transport the guitar from over here to the UK???
but why if the seller is now statesside??
so far 6 punters have bid (just one yesterday the other 5 today already?!) on it raising the price to
GBP 440.00 (Approximately US $839.39)
but "private listing - bidders' identities protected'
will the real owner and/or seller please stand up!!!
John Fowles
I rather doubt in view of all the above that anybody here is inclined to be as foolish as to bid on it except burntstump as he may be able to alert ebay uk to this obvious scam so I feel that this time only it will be ok to post the auction reference:-
uh ho
I tried that link again and now
"This listing (#130015235858) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number. "

[ August 09, 2006, 09:10: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 08-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #9
johnfowles

And yet another United states based scam
the last one I found was promptly removed presumably by ebay
now at:-
one
Seller: thomasrr123( 374)
Member: since May-08-05 in United States
is peddling the much traded
Martin D-18GL, Number 8 of 61 (Serial Number 794492).
again it is allegedly located in
London, United Kingdom
and he/she is the "original owner of and " had the good fortune to acquire a few of these outstanding Instruments" but is obviously getting desperate for cash to fuel his/her drug habit because this time he/she has reduced the
Starting bid: GBP 100.00
(Approximately US $189.52)
This time I went straightaway to http://www.ebay.co.uk
but by the time http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GORDON-LIGHTFO...QQcmdZViewItem
opened this spurious auction had already been removed
I went back to the original ebay.com page but it would not save and refreshing it brought up the removed page again
stranger and stranger!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by lighthead2toe:
This is all too cool. Here I am in Vancouver, D18 in hand, bought brand new in 1967 at the going price of $567.00, and getting $8100 of enjoyment out of it every time I play "If You Could Read My Mind." Ron Jones.
hee hee heee Ron!
and we'll get the same enjoyment and MORE from it and you in November!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
johnfowles

will this saga never end??
OK potential UK owners of a Martin D18GL
the frequently offerred and presumably long suffering item:-

Relax it is still in London and this time is being offerred
by a UK seller "sassy_hot_laydie"***
Whose previous sales apparently include Ann Summers almost invisible brassieres!
"Please contact me before to bid ,for other information and for the buy it now price at: long16ebay@aol.com"
he same email addy I remember from an earlier auction
Currently the high bid is £360.00
but "private listing - bidders' identities protected"
The seller once again claims
and moreover
It is on ebay.com at:-
This time I had the wit to not only save the details before ebay deletes them but also to check on ebay.co.uk and yes it is there at:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GORDON-LIGHTFO...QQcmdZViewItem
Caveat Emptor obviously; I checked the lady's feedback and it was abysmal at least 4 buyers said do not buy from her!!
JohnFowles
the words "barge" and "pole" spring readily to mind!!

[ August 19, 2006, 11:38: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 04-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
gr8tones

Default Re: GL Martin Guitar listed on Ebay

is this guitar still available
gr8tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
talbot10

Default Re: GL Martin Guitar listed on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
3 hours left now
Interesting the seller "Debra200" has apparently been anm ebay member since April 2002 originally in Canada but now "ships from upper NY state"
ebay item 280005569406 is now up to $5800 calgary1 having been pushed up by others
the seller says
so that's all right then.
Gordon is presumably aware that this person had it because it would appear that he personally signed it

Thinks.. if the original quantity 5 or less were all signed (again knowingly by Gord) then Debra must of done a fair bit of lugging them around at some concert or other.
If that is the case then I am surprised that he consented to signing them all together at one time (possibly) in the first place
Just my few thousand dollars worth!
John Fowles
Wow!! Are these prices for real? 5 to 8 grand!? ... I guess value all comes down to what people are willing to pay for it. They are nice guitars ( I have played two of them) but you can get a stock Martin D-35 in Guitar Center off the shelf for $2200.00 that will blow them right out of the water! I guess it all depends what you are after. If you are buying them for the name ..... go for it if you have the dough (I guess)
Bill