banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Off Yonge Street

Default Top 10 Lightfoot Songs as Voted by Canadians in 1988

I recently came across an audio tape that one of my brothers made of the final part of a "Gord's Gold" radio special that aired in November 1988 on English-language radio stations across Canada.

The special was hosted by John Donabie. During the show, many Lightfoot songs were played and clips of an interview with Lightfoot were interspersed between the playing of the songs.

The show concluded with the unveiling of "Canada's choices for the definitive Gordon Lightfoot top 10".

Here's how John Donabie announced the list:

"And now the moment the Gord's Gold radio special has been leading up to: the definitive Gordon Lightfoot top 10.

Over the course of the last few weeks, stations across Canada have been running a contest, asking their listeners to send in their 3 favourite Lightfoot songs.

From among the tens of thousand of responses, we've compiled the definitive Gordon Lighttfoot top 10. And here it is:"

A countdown of the 10 favourite Lightfoot songs as voted by the Canadian public then took place. Although the songs were revealed in the order from #10 to #1, I've listed the songs below from #1 (most popular) to #10 (10th most popular):

1. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
2. If You Could Read My Mind
3. Sundown
4. Canadian Railroad Trilogy
5. Early Morning Rain
6. Old Dan's Records
7. Alberta Bound
8. Beautiful
9. Rainy Day People
10. The Circle Is Small

If Lightfoot fans around the world were polled in 2011 and asked to name their 3 favourite Lightfoot songs, do you think the resulting list would be much different than the above list?
Off Yonge Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy
Default Re: Top 10 Lightfoot Songs as Voted by Canadians in 1988

I think many of us have our personal favorites, even some songs that weren't hits. I agree with the first 5 songs, but am shocked that Song For a Winter's Night isn't in the list. I'd rate the fist three as: 1. If You Could Read My Mind, 2. Song For a Winter's Night, 3. Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
Then Sundown, Canadian Railroad Trilogy and Early Morning Rain.
He has so many great songs that it's almost impossible to rate them after those choices!

Cathy
Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
joveski

i'm surprised "circle is small" made it in there. if it was 1988, i thought maybe I'll tag along or Passing ship would have made it
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Cathy

How about Summer Side of Life? I remember hearing it a lot on the radio in the '70s, although it was never one of my favorites. I think I'd like an acoustic version... just Gord and his guitar. To me, the song was way overproduced and would have sounded better without the orchestration and thunderous harmonies.

Cathy
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
David

The biggest problem for me is that a favourite list can change from day-to-day, or even moment-to-moment. At a guess, I probably like or love about 80% of his catalogue, with about half of those songs being absolutely superb.

So pick a time and I'll give you a list. Come back after a cup of tea and I'll give you another list!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
How about Summer Side of Life? ..... just Gord and his guitar. To me, the song was way overproduced and would have sounded better without the orchestration and thunderous harmonies.

Cathy
Oh yeah. That's what makes the BBC '71 live so coveted

David, I've got that same Donabie tape archived and if it were updated to include WFY APPT Harmony and Songbook I would have to think Restless should be in there, plus a quiet nod to Too Much To Lose

We did a Top Three Poll amongst Corfidians over a two week window and arrived at CRT Song for a Winters Night and IYCRMM as I recall.

You can find the interesting variety of member submissions in the Poll archives. Not a large sample size but a solid result nonetheless.

Note: An inverse poll was lead by rm (I hope he's keeping well) arriving at "May I" in a photo finish with CYC.

Btw, I think Did she Mention my Name is a splendid recording but I think I put Ordinary Man at the top of my list....I've always loved Donabie's voice and programming
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
niffer

On my first Massey trip back in '08, I was talking to a woman at McVeigh's who remarked that Don Quixote was "such a Canadian song." Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ask her exactly what she meant by that. It's been my favorite forever, and I am but an "honourary" Canadian.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffer View Post
On my first Massey trip back in '08, I was talking to a woman at McVeigh's who remarked that Don Quixote was "such a Canadian song." Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ask her exactly what she meant by that. It's been my favorite forever, and I am but an "honourary" Canadian.
hmmm. I have NO idea what that means... and you get extra marks for correct spelling of 'honourary'...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
niffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
hmmm. I have NO idea what that means... and you get extra marks for correct spelling of 'honourary'...
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
How about Summer Side of Life? I remember hearing it a lot on the radio in the '70s, although it was never one of my favorites. I think I'd like an acoustic version...

Cathy
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
fezo

The All Music guide always referred to Don Quixote as Lightfoot's "most Canadian" album. I don't agree. I'd give that to Old Dan's Records.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Cathy

JJ, now I know why I'd like an acoustic version better. I searched through my files, and there was the exact same video. It's not one I listen to often, for some reason. I've never heard SSOL done live. I bet he'd have trouble hitting the high notes now.
Thanks for the reminder.

Cathy
Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
Off Yonge Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
i'm surprised "circle is small" made it in there. if it was 1988, i thought maybe I'll tag along or Passing ship would have made it
Although I like both "I'll Tag Along" and "A Passing Ship", I'm not very surprised that neither song made the Canadian "Lightfoot top 10" list in 1988. From what I recall, both songs received virtually no air play (and possibly no air play at all) on radio stations in Toronto in the months which immediately followed the release of the "East of Midnight" album in 1986. I'm guessing that both songs experienced a similar fate on radio stations throughout Canada.

I'm surprised that "Old Dan's Records" made the Canadian "Lightfoot top 10" list in 1988 and that "Carefree Highway" didn't make the list. (Of the six Lightfoot songs which have made the top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 charts in the United States, "Carefree Highway" is the only song which didn't make the Canadian "Lightfoot top 10" list in 1988.)
Off Yonge Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
fezo

The Circle is Small is a bit of a puzzler to me. No accounting for taste and all of that...
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote