banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2005, 02:04 AM   #1126
The Rez

A small PS:

That little scrap of lyric I use as a signature could be well called Approaching Lavender #2 (minus the genius, of course.)

It is a song memorializing that time and space for "hippie names"; written at the time of Lavender; same meter and feel as Gord's gem; my young attempt; my elder friend . . .

Why did I happen here so late in the night? It's not at all fair . . .

The Rez

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:27 AM   #1127
nelsonaddison

I would like to hear Gordon's Hula Hoop song.
nelsonaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:27 AM   #1128
Patti

I would like to hear Gordon's Hula Hoop song.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:00 PM   #1129
The Rez

Is that still done at roller rinks?

The Rez

It was a Beautiful Hula Hoop
A Beautiful Hoop in my Loop
A Hula here - a Hula there
Hula Hooping everywhere
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #1130
tiabuena

AFFAIR ON 8TH AVENUE
A little dark love movie, rich of beautiful details.......a short moment that can last a life-time.

And, in certain ways, that's my story too...

Max
Florence, Italy
tiabuena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #1131
max

AFFAIR ON 8TH AVENUE
A little dark love movie, rich of beautiful details.......a short moment that can last a life-time.

And, in certain ways, that's my story too...

Max
Florence, Italy
max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #1132
Miklos

I'm not as familiar with GL's music as I'd like to be, but right now my favorite of his is "The Watchman's Gone" from 'Sundown'. The idea of a couple of 'Brothers of the Road' appeals to me.
"If you find me feedin' daisies,
Please turn my face up to the sky..."
Old 04-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #1133
Miklos

I'm not as familiar with GL's music as I'd like to be, but right now my favorite of his is "The Watchman's Gone" from 'Sundown'. The idea of a couple of 'Brothers of the Road' appeals to me.
"If you find me feedin' daisies,
Please turn my face up to the sky..."
Old 04-03-2005, 01:13 AM   #1134
wombat

Approaching Lavender; that's one of my favorites too, along with a whole list of little-known songs that never got played on the radio and never will, but I "rediscover" them whenever I play an album. Saturday Clothes, Your Love's Return, Miguel, Go My Way, Same Old Loverman, Spanish Moss....every album has a few of them.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:13 AM   #1135
wombat

Approaching Lavender; that's one of my favorites too, along with a whole list of little-known songs that never got played on the radio and never will, but I "rediscover" them whenever I play an album. Saturday Clothes, Your Love's Return, Miguel, Go My Way, Same Old Loverman, Spanish Moss....every album has a few of them.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #1136
Shortell

Tough to pic a favourite song ... kind of like trying to decide which time you had sex was the best ... in any event:

1) The Ballad of Yarmouth Castle has always struck a chord with me. The lyrics are haunting and you think you are there watching that ship and her crew/passengers meeting their final demise.

2) Seven Island Suite ... another that really grabs me ... seems to embody so much of how I feel and think.

3) Song for a Winter's Night ... is a really sweet tune. Romance, hope and longing all there in one great moment.

4) It Worth Believin' ... Is another one that seems to reach down into the being of many people, myself included.

5) The Circle is Small ... who has not felt that at one tiem or another ... again most of us have been there.

6) Now and Then ... great song about the possibilities of love rekindled, but knowing that going might be the way too.

Jeez ... I could go on forever .. they guy is just a musical genius, plain and simple!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #1137
musky_canuc

Tough to pic a favourite song ... kind of like trying to decide which time you had sex was the best ... in any event:

1) The Ballad of Yarmouth Castle has always struck a chord with me. The lyrics are haunting and you think you are there watching that ship and her crew/passengers meeting their final demise.

2) Seven Island Suite ... another that really grabs me ... seems to embody so much of how I feel and think.

3) Song for a Winter's Night ... is a really sweet tune. Romance, hope and longing all there in one great moment.

4) It Worth Believin' ... Is another one that seems to reach down into the being of many people, myself included.

5) The Circle is Small ... who has not felt that at one tiem or another ... again most of us have been there.

6) Now and Then ... great song about the possibilities of love rekindled, but knowing that going might be the way too.

Jeez ... I could go on forever .. they guy is just a musical genius, plain and simple!!!
musky_canuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:55 PM   #1138
ricky Jay

It's hard for me to pick a favorite, but I'll try to name several at the moment that stand out, and of course this is subject to change, or be added to! Probably the latter....

Crossroads

The Way I Feel (both versions)

Canadian Railroad Trilogy

Peaceful Waters

Seven Island Suite

Never Too Close

Farewell To Annabel

That Same Old Obsession

It's Worth Believin

Ghost of Cape Horn

Whisper My Name

Sea of Tranquility

--->>It's impossible that this list will stay this short :D
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:55 PM   #1139
Shazia

It's hard for me to pick a favorite, but I'll try to name several at the moment that stand out, and of course this is subject to change, or be added to! Probably the latter....

Crossroads

The Way I Feel (both versions)

Canadian Railroad Trilogy

Peaceful Waters

Seven Island Suite

Never Too Close

Farewell To Annabel

That Same Old Obsession

It's Worth Believin

Ghost of Cape Horn

Whisper My Name

Sea of Tranquility

--->>It's impossible that this list will stay this short :D
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #1140
<Tony. F.>

Sundown is probably my favourate song .I first heard it when I was 16. And even today the opening
chords still make the hair on the back of my neck
spring up.And as soon as I heard No doubt about it , on Harmony it had the same effect.It is a very difficult call for a hardcore fan , because The way I feel,through to Endless wire have a similar effect. I think it is fair comment to say that Lightfoot songs never fade and die like so many other songs , they stay with you , never growing old , and are always nudging you and bringing memories flooding back.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #1141
<Tony. F.>

Sundown is probably my favourate song .I first heard it when I was 16. And even today the opening
chords still make the hair on the back of my neck
spring up.And as soon as I heard No doubt about it , on Harmony it had the same effect.It is a very difficult call for a hardcore fan , because The way I feel,through to Endless wire have a similar effect. I think it is fair comment to say that Lightfoot songs never fade and die like so many other songs , they stay with you , never growing old , and are always nudging you and bringing memories flooding back.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:31 AM   #1142
<Amy>

My favourite Gordon Lightfoot song would be " I am not supposed to care" and "The Pony Man since that is such a genuine song about how kids feel about memories of their childhood when he sings about the Pony man
Old 05-01-2005, 01:31 AM   #1143
<Amy>

My favourite Gordon Lightfoot song would be " I am not supposed to care" and "The Pony Man since that is such a genuine song about how kids feel about memories of their childhood when he sings about the Pony man
Old 05-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #1144
MisterHoot'nholler

My all time favorite Gord song is "Miguel." The first time I saw GL in concert was 1973 at the Cleveland Music Hall. The place was packed! He asked for any requests and I kept screaming "Miguel...Miguel!!" Finally he said "OKAY!" And then he sang the most beautiful version I have ever heard of Miguel.

The second would have to be "Ribbon Of Darkness" as that song took me through a rough time.

Next would be "Tattoo" from the album "Salute" which has many great songs on it.

It is hard to really pinpoint a favorite as everything he composes/sings is wonderful and with that terrific band, well...who could not fall in love with any GL melody.
MisterHoot'nholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #1145
Laci

My all time favorite Gord song is "Miguel." The first time I saw GL in concert was 1973 at the Cleveland Music Hall. The place was packed! He asked for any requests and I kept screaming "Miguel...Miguel!!" Finally he said "OKAY!" And then he sang the most beautiful version I have ever heard of Miguel.

The second would have to be "Ribbon Of Darkness" as that song took me through a rough time.

Next would be "Tattoo" from the album "Salute" which has many great songs on it.

It is hard to really pinpoint a favorite as everything he composes/sings is wonderful and with that terrific band, well...who could not fall in love with any GL melody.
Laci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #1146
davie

"...It was a World Hunger Benefit with Gordon, John Denver, James Taylor and Harry Chapin..."

Wow, My four favorite singer-songwriters on one stage. Memorable.
davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #1147
random7

"...It was a World Hunger Benefit with Gordon, John Denver, James Taylor and Harry Chapin..."

Wow, My four favorite singer-songwriters on one stage. Memorable.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:31 PM   #1148
<minstrel>

Quote:
Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]
Mine is Big Blue - the haunting guitars are very celtic sounding. He has always been more than just 'folk' and has influenced my music greatly.

http://www.geocities.com/global_charts/
Old 05-15-2005, 08:31 PM   #1149
<minstrel>

Quote:
Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]
Mine is Big Blue - the haunting guitars are very celtic sounding. He has always been more than just 'folk' and has influenced my music greatly.

http://www.geocities.com/global_charts/
Old 05-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #1150
<quime>

my favorite song is boss man.

back when I was a wee 17 year old, I dated a girl who was hot, cute, and really nice. well, on the night ofour 1st date, I come to the door, and she answers, and her father tells her to go get ready or something (cant quite remember), and he invites me in. he tells me to have a seat on the couch. he goes back into his room to get something, and then comes out and shows me his 357 magmum! (This guy is about 6 foot 4, and must weigh at least 250 pounds, and he really wouldn't have needed a gun to deal with me) he says "I'm tellin' ya now, sonny, I'm the boss man, and whatever I say goes. And I'm tellin' you right now sonny, i better not catch you kissin or gettin fresh with her or ANYTHING like that, or i'll blow your a** straight to h*ll". Needless to say, I didn't treat her inappropriately or anything.

The entire time we dated, that guy was always trying to terrorizing and harassing me, threatening to beat me up, etc.. he'd always refer to himself as the "boss man". now, i wish i'd have known about the gord song 'boss man' back then :D i never quite forgot that guy, and when i hear the gL song boss man, i get all excited, and I am reminded of that girls mean a** father!

if i'd known about this song back then, i could've told him "it'll be murder in the first degree if you ever lay your hands on me" :D