banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
DMD3

What is your favorite recording of Wherefore And Why? Both versions of it are great; probably one of the best GL songs ever written. But, I like 2nd recording better. While the 1st one is more upbeat, the 2nd one sounds the "happiest" to me.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
DMD3

What is your favorite recording of Wherefore And Why? Both versions of it are great; probably one of the best GL songs ever written. But, I like 2nd recording better. While the 1st one is more upbeat, the 2nd one sounds the "happiest" to me.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
Borderstone

The second one has "synthetic" sounding horns on it,played on keyboard,I think. It kind of ruins the mood for me. As is said about most songs,the original is always the best!.......unless it was lousy to start with. The first is totally pure and honest and full of joy. The first one's fine,thank you.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:41 AM   #4
c.c.sharp@verizon.net

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:

'Gord's Gold' version is superior as it is a more elaborate arrangement. Love that pedal steel solo. Cozy again. Love it. !

c.c.sharp@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:41 AM   #5
GretschViking

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:

'Gord's Gold' version is superior as it is a more elaborate arrangement. Love that pedal steel solo. Cozy again. Love it. !

GretschViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:43 AM   #6
c.c.sharp@verizon.net

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
The second one has "synthetic" sounding horns on it,played on keyboard,I think. It kind of ruins the mood for me. As is said about most songs,the original is always the best!.......unless it was lousy to start with. The first is totally pure and honest and full of joy. The first one's fine,thank you.

Oh I would have to argue that one! The Beatles did everything better than the original. I have not heard Dylan's rendition of 'Ring Them Bells'(if there is one)but I am sure Gordon's is ions better. !
c.c.sharp@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:43 AM   #7
GretschViking

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:

Oh I would have to argue that one! The Beatles did everything better than the original. I have not heard Dylan's rendition of 'Ring Them Bells'(if there is one)but I am sure Gordon's is ions better. !
GretschViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #8
Sidney Freedmen

I like the original version. Originals are so much better because you can hear all of the sounds, instruments, etc
Sidney Freedmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #9
Mair

I don't agree that originals are always better - but in this case ... there is more contentment in the 2nd, "happier" perhaps, but in the 1st there is so much energy and so much joy! I don't always prefer the original versions, but in this case - no contest!
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:47 PM   #10
Sidney Freedmen

TH ereason why i love the 1st version is bcuse i like the beat and Gord's voice is spetactular!

------------------
Sidney Freedmen

'Sit Down Young Stranger' and visit The Home Page Of Gordon Lightfoot
Sidney Freedmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
miketouhy

i think both versions are good though he really moderized it when he re-recorded it. i think the drum beat is what really did it.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #12
miketouhy

i think both versions are good though he really moderized it when he re-recorded it. i think the drum beat is what really did it.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:19 PM   #13
The Rez

Definitely the first one. I love the orchistration of the first one that the second one just didn't have. The 2nd is more souped up with the steel guitars and stuff like that Gord was using at the time that just doesn't fit. Plus, like Sydney said, his voice!!!

Of course, the 2nd version is great too. Like some other people said, much more upbeat, and it even has DRUMS!!!

Hope I don't offend anybody who likes the 2nd version. Just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by DiggerBoy (edited February 10, 2005).]

The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:19 PM   #14
DiggerBoy

Definitely the first one. I love the orchistration of the first one that the second one just didn't have. The 2nd is more souped up with the steel guitars and stuff like that Gord was using at the time that just doesn't fit. Plus, like Sydney said, his voice!!!

Of course, the 2nd version is great too. Like some other people said, much more upbeat, and it even has DRUMS!!!

Hope I don't offend anybody who likes the 2nd version. Just my opinion.

DiggerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #15
gregnkw

The 2nd version is better. I wish at the very beginning, he would have played that part twice like he did in the first one (dont know what its called, it's right when the song begins). The first ones okay, but im not to craxy about the way if fades off.
gregnkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #16
Harmony

The 2nd version is better. I wish at the very beginning, he would have played that part twice like he did in the first one (dont know what its called, it's right when the song begins). The first ones okay, but im not to craxy about the way if fades off.
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:07 AM   #17
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by Harmony:

You enjoy his old topics ? Are you related to him ?

Bill

I hate to say I told you so, but I was right.

[This message has been edited by BILLW (edited February 15, 2005).]
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #18
nelsonaddison

The reason I like singing this song is because I can relate and I feel close to God too.
nelsonaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #19
Patti

The reason I like singing this song is because I can relate and I feel close to God too.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #20
Dan O'Malley

Going back to "Ring Them Bells", Gord's version is great. Apparently, he played it to Dylan who approved! Dylan's version is fantastic too though. Gord's version is more upbeat and celebratory, whereas Bob's sounds more kind of introspective, they sound like different songs, but both great interpretations. Dylan's version can be found on his brilliant "Oh Mercy" album. Well worth checking out!
Dan O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #21
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by Patti:
i don't understand.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #22
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by Patti:
i don't understand.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #23
nelsonaddison

quote:Originally posted by miketouhy:
Quote:
Originally posted by Patti:
i don't understand.
Really? You don't understand?...Or are you just trying to sound smart? It's about love.
nelsonaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #24
Patti

quote:Originally posted by miketouhy:
Quote:
Originally posted by Patti:
i don't understand.
Really? You don't understand?...Or are you just trying to sound smart? It's about love.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:15 PM   #25
miketouhy

no i wasn't being smart. for pete sakes what made you think that.