banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #1076
DiggerBoy

My favorite song this week is 'Stay Loose' from East of Midnight. I wake up with the song in my head and it's there all day!
DiggerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #1077
Kathy in Michigan

My favorite song this week is 'Stay Loose' from East of Midnight. I wake up with the song in my head and it's there all day!
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #1078
Ramblin' Bob

I've been listening to Gordon since the 70's. All his music is really good. I think my all time favorite of his is Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald. I never get tired of listening to it.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #1079
Ramblin' Bob

I've been listening to Gordon since the 70's. All his music is really good. I think my all time favorite of his is Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald. I never get tired of listening to it.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:31 AM   #1080
The Rez

Shadows: I once had the moment of setting w/ Gord (w/Alan, Brennan&Robin) in the hotel room. I asked him about Shadows.

His response is one I'll never forget. He said, 'If I to l told you, then it wouldn't belong to you anymore.?
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #1081
john in Sebastopol, Ca.

Wow, it was fun to read everyones favourites, as they included so many songs Gordon doesn't usually play. My favourites are "Affair on 8th Avenue" for a girl I dated and almost married in high school and shadows, because now I'm fifty two, and it's the way I feel about love....So many good choices Seven Islands, High and Dry, Summer Side of Life...if you're listening Gordie, play some of these if you travel east to Reno, or north to Mendicino....
Thanks, John Miatech in Sebastopol Calif (I gave you some crystals for the kids a few years back at Luther Burbank, remember?).
Old 03-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #1082
john in Sebastopol, Ca.

Wow, it was fun to read everyones favourites, as they included so many songs Gordon doesn't usually play. My favourites are "Affair on 8th Avenue" for a girl I dated and almost married in high school and shadows, because now I'm fifty two, and it's the way I feel about love....So many good choices Seven Islands, High and Dry, Summer Side of Life...if you're listening Gordie, play some of these if you travel east to Reno, or north to Mendicino....
Thanks, John Miatech in Sebastopol Calif (I gave you some crystals for the kids a few years back at Luther Burbank, remember?).
Old 03-05-2005, 01:31 AM   #1083
Aime_41

That's like asking a shark what his favorite food is! One of my favs is "I'll Do Anything" off the Shadows album. It's just a beautifully-arranged and played song. "Miguel", and "The Circle is Small" are also great songs. But, I really like "Inspiration Lady" off the Harmony album. In fact, we're naming our new yacht "Inspiration Lady."
Aime_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:31 AM   #1084
bobbyk57

That's like asking a shark what his favorite food is! One of my favs is "I'll Do Anything" off the Shadows album. It's just a beautifully-arranged and played song. "Miguel", and "The Circle is Small" are also great songs. But, I really like "Inspiration Lady" off the Harmony album. In fact, we're naming our new yacht "Inspiration Lady."
bobbyk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:51 AM   #1085
The Rez

I've been taking in the many earlier pages of folk's favorites. It's a fine road to travel (Fine as Fine Can Be?)

But, I must take this moment to say that after first hearing of Brave Mountaineers, I've never since worn a wrist watch.

I'd already wanted to do that when Captain America tossed his away in '69. The Brave Mountaineers, never much bothered by time you know, made me stick to it.

The Rez

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:29 AM   #1086
RCI

I know the music since 1972 and have been to a live concert in Amsterdam.

My favourite songs depends on my mood but these are my favourites: "Afair on 8th avenue", "A long way back home", "Carefree Highway", "Restless feeling" are amongst the top 10 for me.

RCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:29 AM   #1087
Elisabeth

I know the music since 1972 and have been to a live concert in Amsterdam.

My favourite songs depends on my mood but these are my favourites: "Afair on 8th avenue", "A long way back home", "Carefree Highway", "Restless feeling" are amongst the top 10 for me.

Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #1088
Mattman

I loved Sundown!

Actually, I first heard it on Homestarrunner.com.

"We'll see if those trees you're always huggin' come and save you when Gordon' Lightfoot's creepin' round your back stair!"
Old 03-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #1089
Mattman

I loved Sundown!

Actually, I first heard it on Homestarrunner.com.

"We'll see if those trees you're always huggin' come and save you when Gordon' Lightfoot's creepin' round your back stair!"
Old 03-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #1090
Slimster22

Ghost Of Cape Horn
Why? I guess because I remember listening to it as a kid in the 70's & 80's and it sort of putting me in this far off slightly erie place mentally. I could picture every part of the song in my head and placed myself in it and felt the emotions of the characters. It still scares the hell out of me, but I love it.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #1091
Slimster22

Ghost Of Cape Horn
Why? I guess because I remember listening to it as a kid in the 70's & 80's and it sort of putting me in this far off slightly erie place mentally. I could picture every part of the song in my head and placed myself in it and felt the emotions of the characters. It still scares the hell out of me, but I love it.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #1092
candleaire

quote:

"We'll see if those trees you're always huggin' come and save you when Gordon' Lightfoot's creepin' round your back stair!"[/B]

Stare back.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #1093
candleaire

quote:

"We'll see if those trees you're always huggin' come and save you when Gordon' Lightfoot's creepin' round your back stair!"[/B]

Stare back.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #1094
candleaire

quote:Originally posted by Mattman:

Stare back.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #1095
candleaire

quote:Originally posted by Mattman:

Stare back.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #1096
mrbadhairday

My favorite Gordon Lightfoot song is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". I am a former sailor and I HAVE been through 2 different hurricanes (David and Frederic) and I KNOW just exactly what it feels like...how helpless you are when there are 100 mph winds and HUGE waves out in the middle of nowhere. You cannot merely "pull off the road" so to speak. It is not a good feeling.

November 10, 1975
This year is 30 years. My fellow sailors will NOT be forgotten. Here is my personal tribute to them I hope you enjoy and think of them as I do. Amen

Steven
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/st...xwellmusic.htm
Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #1097
mrbadhairday

My favorite Gordon Lightfoot song is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". I am a former sailor and I HAVE been through 2 different hurricanes (David and Frederic) and I KNOW just exactly what it feels like...how helpless you are when there are 100 mph winds and HUGE waves out in the middle of nowhere. You cannot merely "pull off the road" so to speak. It is not a good feeling.

November 10, 1975
This year is 30 years. My fellow sailors will NOT be forgotten. Here is my personal tribute to them I hope you enjoy and think of them as I do. Amen

Steven
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/st...xwellmusic.htm
Old 03-13-2005, 08:21 AM   #1098
Mikhail

Hello from Russia!
I think "Sundown" album is a real brilliant. It's hard to name the loveliest song... Possibly, Carefree Highway. However, I love Too Late For Praying very much
Old 03-13-2005, 08:21 AM   #1099
Mikhail

Hello from Russia!
I think "Sundown" album is a real brilliant. It's hard to name the loveliest song... Possibly, Carefree Highway. However, I love Too Late For Praying very much
Old 03-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #1100
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

What makes Gordon Lightfoot my favorite all-time singer/songwriter is his ability to reach people of all age groups and locales, and the fact that his music is just so timeless, profound, and memorable. I'm new to this site and must agree with the posts that liken his degree of fame to other music legends like Lennon, Dylan, etc. I can ramble endlessly about how he 'stikes every chord' of emotion and sings about so many different people, places, and experiences, but many of you have already given him that wonderful tribute. Many Thanks. What makes this gifted man so remarkable to me is the fact that through it all, he has remained a humble and 'ordinary man' in his mannerism and personality. It's refreshing to see such rare and admirable qualities in a world-reknown artist in today's age of glitz and glammor. Choosing a favorite song/s would be most difficult, but if I must,.... well,....OK, here goes: 1. Home From the Forest 2. Highway Songs 3. Song For a Winter's Night 4. The Watchman's Gone 5. Looking At the Rain ---- A decade ago I crawled out of the bottle for the last time, so song # 1 really does hit 'home', and it serves as a haunting reminder of what could have been. Song #2 resonates over and over as I'm traversing the scenic backroads of America on my Harley Softail. Song #3 conjers the image of my soulmate(who I've yet to meet) and I taking a horse drawn sleigh ride through the snow covered countryside on a cold, starry night. Song #4 bespeaks the 'watchman' inside of us all(our own human limitations), and how much better life could be if we could know that 'the watchman's gone'. Song #5 touches the heart of everyone who has lost someone. Finally, If ever I get the golden opportunity to meet Gordon in person, I would have to thank him for the gift of his music, and that his words carried me through my dark times, as well as made the happy times even brighter. How often does someone we've never met before become one of our best friends through their music?
byKimberly is offline   Reply With Quote