banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

Tonight: Gordon Lightfoot will be in, New-Brunswick, New - Jersey. at

"The State Theatre."

I would like to wish to a good gentlemen and his wife, a most wonderful evening. John and Susan Fowles. As I know they will meet with the Poet Genius, and we will probably all have an update, from the concert, and what the man had to say.

With the exception of, Charlene, and of course {Florian,} which we dont hear enough of, probably too much of a busy man. John Fowles, is the one person that does the most, on the Corfid site, and he would also like to see, the' NG' group, get more popular.

Creating his own Web Site, handling the chat on friday nights, which I have yet to participate in, but will try it eventualy, and Im sure, is working on many other good things, always for the site.

A computer Wizard, John has help me a lot on the site, we had our differences, but I consider you a pro, Sir. Im sure that Mr. Lightfoot, would also appreciate your devotion, on a site that is dedicated to him.

Charlene WestBrook, (Char Lady) LOL, is also a great person.{moderator} Two great humans, that I have had the pleasure of making, "computer friends" with. Charlene, your (praise) will come later.{LOL}

Mind you, there is also a lot, of other wonderful people to numerous to mentioned, all Lightfoot devotees...

John, have a great evening, and we are waiting to hear your report from the shows, as I think, your attending more than one. Your CF,...Jesse.

[ August 03, 2006, 06:46: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
charlene

If there's a show on the northeast coast of the u.s.a. the Fowles will be there with bells on!

Jenney and Diane are going to a couple as well so I hope there will be lots to read !

Have a great time guys and travel safe!
The lottery numbers didn't come thru last night so I won't be surprising you at the concerts!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Hi Charlene, I haven't checked mine yet. :D
Old 08-04-2006, 02:21 AM   #4
gretschviking1967

Hello all. Went to see Gordon tonight in New Brunswick, NJ. The band was as tight as ever and the set list was wonderful but I really wish Lightfoot would lower the keys the songs. He was straining to hit notes on every song. There were moments where I was cringing. It's not 1975 anymore and it wouldn't be a blow to his ego (if that's what the problem is) to bring the keys down. If this were done, I'm sure he'd sound fantastic.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
Jesse Joe

Hello gretschviking 1967,

Thank's for sharing your evening. Glad to hear the band is still as tight, as ever. I do agree with you, on certain songs, I think he would sound better, if he would sing lower. Im thinking of, "Sit Down Young Stranger," for one. And the 'Gords Gold vol 2, Album'. But he his the master of his songs...Jesse.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
RM

gretschviking1967,

Your honest appraisal is appreciated. As far as lowering the keys that he sings in, well, I don't know. Not being a bass player, lead guitarist, or keyboard pro, I really have no idea of what the ramifications might be. I seem to recall an article some time ago when he advised against using a capo, citing the effect it had on a band. But they're pros, so who knows.

RMD
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
danceallnighttothe78s

Saw the show in New Brunswick last night and loved it. Had front row seats and the sound was excellent- much better than the NYC Town Hall show last fall. Also enjoyed the setlist more this time around. Bitter Green and Sit Down Young Stranger were pleasant surprises. Minstrel of the Dawn was the highlight of the show- it was note perfect. Gord appeared much healthier last night than he did last time I saw him. His voice sounded a little reedy at first, but it improved as the show went on.
Can anyone post a setlist from the show?
Thanks- much appreciated.
danceallnighttothe78s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
gretschviking1967

Quote:
Originally posted by RMD:
gretschviking1967,

Your honest appraisal is appreciated. As far as lowering the keys that he sings in, well, I don't know. Not being a bass player, lead guitarist, or keyboard pro, I really have no idea of what the ramifications might be. I seem to recall an article some time ago when he advised against using a capo, citing the effect it had on a band. But they're pros, so who knows.

RMD
It's not hard to do. Just bring the keys down a bit. Drop the capo and perform the songs with the same chord progressions. It would vastly improve the show. Like you said, these guys are pros and for them to play the exact same thing a full step lower should be no problem at all. Afterall, it's not like the other guys are screaming out harmonies. Lightfoot's shows are so cozy but to look beyond his strained voice is hard to do.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
MorningGlory

Quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoSue:
quote:Originally posted by charlene:
....the Fowles will be there with bells on!
Just promise us they wont be *cowbells* :D [/QUOTE]
MorningGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Ya gotta admit... another good picture.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #11
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoSue:
One of millions I've seen....

However, the ones worth pondering on are the few photos he carries with him--and I'll never tell who's pics they are.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by gretschviking1967:
quote:Originally posted by RMD:
gretschviking1967,

RMD
It's not hard to do. Just bring the keys down a bit. Drop the capo and perform the songs with the same chord progressions. It would vastly improve the show. Like you said, these guys are pros and for them to play the exact same thing a full step lower should be no problem at all. Afterall, it's not like the other guys are screaming out harmonies. Lightfoot's shows are so cozy but to look beyond his strained voice is hard to do. [/QUOTE]It would be quite simple to do. Drop the capos a fret on the guitar, program the keyboard a step lower, and the only person who would actually have to transform the fingerings is Rick, which I'm sure he could handle easily.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
gretschviking1967

Here is most of the set list. I am sure that I am missing a few tunes. I love when they perform "Sea Of Tranquility" and would really like to see them do "Dream Street Rose". If a ever a song deserved a better fate, it's that one.

Cotton Jenny
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
Sea Of Tranquility
Shadows
Beautiful
Minstrel Of The Dawn
In My Fashion
Blackberry Wine
Carefree Highway
Ribbon Of Darkness
Sundown
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Sit Down Young Stranger
Let It Ride
Spanish Moss
Clouds Of Loneliness
The Watchman's Gone
A Painter Passing Through
If You Could Read My Mind
Waiting For You
Bitter Green
Rainy Day People
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Baby Step Back
Old Dan's Records
Early Morning Rain
Old 08-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
brink-

27 songs, seems like a pretty complete list. Thanks for posting it, do you have any info you would like to share on the concert?
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #15
gretschviking1967

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
27 songs, seems like a pretty complete list. Thanks for posting it, do you have any info you would like to share on the concert?
I've already shared my opinion of the show in this thread. Thanks for asking!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #16
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by gretschviking1967:
Here is most of the set list. I am sure that I am missing a few tunes.
From the setlist that my wife Susan wrote down I can say gretschviking1967 that your list includes all 27 songs performed at New Brunswick. but i have to say that your list has an inaccurate running order.
I am 100 % sure of this because the first half I memorised the songs using a "Number Rhyming System" and recalled the list for Susan to write down during the intermission. she then wrote down the second half.
OK so just what is the "Number Rhyming System":- it is a useful and simple word/picture association system where you initially allocate and memorise a simple keyword or concept to each number in a list or sequence of objects starting at 1-Bun 2-shoe etc then picture something exagerated or absurd that is then associated with that number and its rhyming link, Later merely thinking of the keyword brings back the actual item to be recalled.in this case
1 was a hamburger bun filled with mouthwatering cotton wool!!
2 shoe is what you would be wearing for walking on a carefree highway
3-tree rhymes with sea
4 door "close that door!!
5 hive was interesting because before the auditorium doors opened I had been talking to an usher wearing a number of gold pins/broaches, including a beehive and bee reminding me of the beautiful 3000 year old gold bee pendant found on the Greek island of Crete that I have seen in Heraklion Museum

so it was easy to recall
5 14 Karat Gold
you can get creative for example
6-sticks
To an engineer a "stick" is a slide rule so
6 is the song about a fool who had to stand on a stool because he couldn't come to terms with a slide rule hence:-
6 In My Fashion
7-heaven made me think ah yes "heaven" starts with an "H" as does "history"
Through which was Passing an emminent Painter!!
I also have today noticed that Wayne Francis has already posted the setlist from New Brunswick at:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/060803.htm
However from my own setlist I can say that Wayne's listing whilst certainly listing the correct 27 songs they are shown in a sequence that is considerably different to the true listing as is gretschviking1967's.
Wayne has told me that he has a network or something of fans (or possibly "insiders") who send him setlists but I do wonder how his informant could have got the sequence so badly wrong on this occasion
For the record therefore the correct listing should be:-

1 Cotton Jenny
2 Carefree Highway
3 Sea of Tranquility
4 Never Too Close
5 14 Karat Gold
6 In my fashion
7 A Painter Passing Though
medley
8 Spanish Moss/
9 Shadows
10 Blackberry Wine
11 The Watchman's Gone
medley
12 Ribbon Of Darkness
13 Sundown
14 The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
intermission
15 Sit Down Young Stranger
16 Minstrel Of The Dawn
17 Clouds Of Loneliness.
18 Let It Ride
19 Rainy Day People
20 Waiting For You (with not a word of introduction)
but this a song I find is increasingly more appealing when heard live compared to hearing it on the album
21 Beautiful
22 If You Could Read My Mind
23 Canadian Railroad Trilogy
24 Baby Step Back
25 Bitter Green
26 Old Dan's Record
Encore
27 Early Morning Rain

I have nothing to add other than it was the customary polished performance.
Note the use of Spanish Moss as the lead song in a medley
Gord also uses it for a medley with either Don Quixote or Ghosts Of Cape Horn
similarly Ribbon Of Darkness is on ocasion the lead into the "Wreck"
but at New Brunswick it led into Sundown (surely sung in reverse order!!) (Think about it)
John Fowles

[ August 08, 2006, 10:40: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
gretschviking1967

Mr. Fowles,

You aren't the guy that was sitting next to the aisle in the upper section are you? If so, I was sitting behind you watching you write down the set list! I also noticed this person's ears perk up when Gordon screwed up the second verse to "If You Could Read My Mind"! LOL!

As for your system, it may work for you but no matter how much you may praise it's existence, it's insane! LOL!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:49 AM   #18
Jesse Joe

As for your system, it may work for you but no matter how much you may praise it's existence, it's insane! LOL!

--------------------
Stamp out Seligball!

John I think your starting to lose it...LOL.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:07 AM   #19
charlene

Quote:
As for your system, it may work for you but no matter how much you may praise it's existence, it's insane! LOL! [/QB]
LOL!
That system just means more memorizing. If I can't remember the song title I'll never remember all the 'tips' !!
lol
I barely remember a pen and paper...and the last time I attended a concert and was to write the list I had to tell Lisa to remind me to do it!
lolol
oh my goodness!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:04 AM   #20
Jesse Joe

John must have a part of his brains, that ours is burned. Or we never had it, to begin with. Whatever works for you I guess...lol

[ August 08, 2006, 08:31: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 08-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #21
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

John, did your stroke affect your short term memory? If so, did it ever return to normal, or did you just find ways to work around it?
I find that I'm very forgetful and have to write everything in a journal, so I can reread everything. Eventually, I remember parts of it.