banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-27-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
<formerlylavender>

After many phone calls and much contemplation, jbt and I have purchased two tickets for the 10/28 show in A.C. We came very close to taking bjb up on his two tickets for NYC on Saturday, but Friday night fits better with our schedules. It will be interesting seeing Gord in a "nightclub" sort of venue as opposed to a theater. I wish so badly I could go to both shows, but it isn't possible.

Anyone else planning on A.C. on Friday? I haven't been there for years (not much of a gambler), but we can't pass up the 1.5 hour drive for one more chance to see Gord. I'll post the setlist asap.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
Steele's Tavern

I'll be there Friday night. Haven't seen him since Massey Hall, and am SO looking forward to Friday. I agree, it will be interesting to see him in that venue.
Steele's Tavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
<webcookie>

I'll be at the show!! Really looking forward to it; this is my first Gord concert!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:44 AM   #4
<formerlylavender>

I'm so looking forward to tonight too! We'll be in section 304 - I'm not sure which row (jbt has the tickets). We'll be the thirtysomething siblings with joyful grins on our faces. See you there!
Old 10-28-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Long River

I'll be there, section 104. Saw him in August in Glenside, he sounded really good. I'm excited about tonight. Hope you all enjoy!
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
<formerlylavender>

It was a great show as usual. The set up was similar to a theater (no tables), it was a very wide room, and the sound was awesome. Even Gord commented on the excellent sound quality.

There were (sadly) quite a few empty seats in the 300 level, so jbt and I moved over where we had loads of room. We could actually whisper between songs and not get shushed. That was a first for us. Gord was in good form, although his voice was a bit raspy in the first set. He missed the high notes on Cotton Jenny - it was quite noticeable. However, he was a new man for the second set. It's almost as if he had a nap or something during the intermission. He looked great with a new vest (he said it was new) and his white boots. He said the boots were "solid comfort." The song list is as follows:

Spanish Moss
Don Q
Minstrel of the Dawn
In My Fashion
Harmony
Never Too Close
Ghosts of Cape Horn
Rainy Day People
Sea of Tranquility
Cotton Jenny
Wreck of...
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
I Used to Be a Country Singer

Intermission (20 minutes)

Pony Man (request)
Band Intros.
Beautiful
Shadows
If You Could...
Let It Ride
Clouds of Loneliness
Blackberry Wine (commented that he had a glass of wine eight months ago...)
Baby Step Back
Canadian R.T.
Restless
Old Dan's Records

Encores
Early Morning Rain
Cold on the Shoulder

I don't think the second encore song was planned. Jbt saw Gord motion for his guitar while walking backstage, so we were fairly certain that there would be a second song.

We didn't see Gord after the show - they seemed to be turning quite a few people away. However we saw all the band members downstairs at the bar! They were all nice, but the drummer, Barry, was especially nice, getting out of his seat to come over to talk to us. Gord commented that he was a baseball player during the intros, so we asked about it. Apparently he is an avid softball player, even going to the championships in Virginia.

It was a great night for us - a true bonus concert. It was great seeing Gord in a new forum (our fifth), and I hope we'll be seeing him again in the near future.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
<long river>

He seemed to be having a really good time and totally enjoying the adulation of the crowd. The sound system was very good. From my vantage point I didn't see many empty seats but I was a little further up than formerlylavendar.

He sounded very good, maybe a few times it sounded as though he needed to clear his throat but it was a great concert. So all of you who are going in the near future, enjoy, wish I was going too.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

great review formerlylavender, thanks for posting.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
Long River

When he was introducing the band, he said Rick Haynes, he's our straw boss, we have a straw boss. In NJ you have the boss, but we have a straaaw boss.

I like how he gets a kick out of the jokes or little funny lines he says. Sometimes, even if I don't quite hear him, I laugh just cause he is.
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
<formerlylavender>

Long River, that's so funny - I almost forgot that he said that. I laugh along with all the jokes too...it's so easy to get caught up in the moment.

About Gord needing to clear his throat, I said the exact same thing to jbt after Cotton Jenny. It seemed like one good cough would have done wonders.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #11
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Great review formerlylavender, thanks so much! I especially love it when people put in the little things -- that makes the rest of us (almost) feel as if we were there. It makes it very special for us, so thanks again!!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote