banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
zoneranger

What was the first Gordon Lightfoot you ever bought? And in what media was it (CD, album, cassette)
Mine was the single "Sundown" on 45 RPM.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
Borderstone

Mine was Gord's Gold (a very used copy) and then not to much later the "Sundown" 45 and then "Carefree Highway" on a 70s compilation called Mellow Gold (no,not the Beck CD! :D )

3 years ago,I fianlly replaced G.G. with what really looked like a brand new copy but was justr a very well kept one.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
brink

Sit Down Young Stranger. Album, then it changed to If You Could Read My Mind, in album, 8 track, cassette and CD. Over the a course of several years obviously.

[ August 22, 2005, 21:31: Message edited by: brink ]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
mnmouse

I had Sundown given to me on cassette...that was the first GL music I owned. My first *purchase* was Gord's Gold, on vinyl. Brand new when I bought it, but now a very used copy. Still plays, though, and no scratches! I followed up with a bunch more on vinyl. Of course, everything has since been replaced by CDs, and I am adding more all the time.

Mouse
Old 08-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
GJA

Gord's Gold. And I fell in love...........
Old 08-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #6
Shazia

Sundown and Summertime Dream. I bought both of them at the same time. I don't remember which one I listened to first when I got home. I think I listened to Summertime Dream first because I wanted to listen to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on CD, even though I knew it was a different version than the one I had heard on the radio.
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I was "so poor", HOW POOR WERE YOU BILL ?

Well I was so poor I could only buy one new album, vinyl of course, which was Don Quixote, which had to do me for several years.

Through hard work, good luck and the grace of God I am no longer poor and I own them all on CD.

But if I am poor again, someday, I sure do know how to do it. (how to do poor that is)

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
jeffyjo

If memory serves, I bought Sundown first. My father always would say how great of a song Edmund Fitz was when it came on the radio, and I started to really like it. So I went to my local library and ordered in a copy of Gord's Gold II because it was a compilation and had Edmund Fitz on it. I copied the CD from the library and listened to that for a long time. Then I read around on the Internet and a lot of people liked Sundown as an album. So I bought it. Now I own all the studio albums, and Songbook.

Jeff
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:23 AM   #9
Ophelia

The LP version of "Summertime Dream." I have no idea where it is now, but I have the CD also. :D
Old 08-23-2005, 02:35 AM   #10
The Rez

Sunday Concert - LP

Now autographed and on Maui, living w/ my oldest son, Davey.
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
charlene

I think it was Old Dan's Records. Once again that horrible 'take it for granted" beast took over my life and Lightfoot was just assumed to be a part of my life....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:21 PM   #12
GJM

My first purchase was the IYCRMM 45 and my first album was Gord's Gold. I believe "Poor Little Allison" was on the flip side of the 45.
GJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #13
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I have said before here that I was mightily impressed by hearing Spin Spin and The First Time Ever I saw Your Face on Montreal radio in 1966 and according to a note on the vinyl album sleeve I bought Lightfoot! in April 1967 in Canada almost certainly it was the then cheaper monaural version.
Yes kiddies records were not always all stereo so initially the opportunist record companies were able to cheekily charge more for an identically costed stereo version. Whatever.I made the mistake of lending it to a young lady in our apartment block whose record player was fitted with a size 50 knitting needle witch comprehensively wrecked that copy.
a few years later (in 1979) back in the UK I was eventually able to replace it with a stereo "Early Lighfoot" UK issue.
And threw out the original disk but as I very much liked the original Canadian liner notes I contrived to convert the UK sleeve into a gatefold layout by sticking the original Canadian sleeve in two pieces to the insides of the opened out UK sleeve.Hence a while ago I could use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on my scanner image to capture the text of both the
Canadian and UK sleeve backs see this topic:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=001699#000000
John Fowles
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:00 AM   #14
Sydney Steve

Summertime Dream. Vinyl LP
(Purists take please a valium!) I know it was relatively late in his career and undoubtedly places me in the " unschooled +/or heretic " category but it was the album that dragged me in here today ...(It made me wonder how good his other work could posssibly be....) I'm still learning....And have been constantly pleasantly shocked ever since that my gut feeling was so close to the mark...

[ August 24, 2005, 20:57: Message edited by: Sydney Steve ]
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 AM   #15
ELizabeth

My first GL album was 'The Way I feel'(1967)?. I had a PPM album which had 'Early Morning Rain' on it.I noted that the credit for the song was GL. One day in the Curundu Commissary in Panama I came across TWIF and fell immediately in love with 'Eighth Ave'. Lord have mercy is that is one lust-producing song. Number 2 album was 'Sunday Concert'. Loved the pictures of Gord, Britta and their children included in that album. It seems somehow strange that she is no longer with us. In a fit of madness (craziness not anger) I threw away all my albums when I moved. Now, the only cd of GL's that I don't own is 'Painter'.

[ August 24, 2005, 11:36: Message edited by: ELizabeth ]
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:04 PM   #16
Bill

First I was ever around: my brother's copy of the 45 for "If You Could Red My Mind", then LPs of Don Quixote ans Sundown. This was in the months leading up to my first purchase: Summertime Dream. I then scrounged record stores to build up my collection of things leading up to that.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #17
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

My first was Sundown, bought at a used record store on LP for 3.99 in 87 or 88.
Andy T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #18
culverd

This caused me to look at some of my old alblums. Seems old dans record in 1972 is the oldest. I also came across a 2 record K-tel GL record called Fantastic GL. I forgot this existed
Old 08-25-2005, 02:04 AM   #19
Debra

Send a message via AIM to Debra

I'm not certain which was first, but I had Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald, Endless Wire, and I think (all would be with my ex, unless he "lost or sold them" BAH!) Gord's Gold I
I can't remember if Edmond Fitzgerald was on 45 or on an album. My favorite was Endless Wire, but since I've heard others, I've added to my favorites...such as: Seven Island Suite LOVE THAT ONE! With all the changes in rythm and that little 'cry' he puts in it. Oh well...see ya'll in Reno!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #20
Rona

When I was a freshmand in high school we moved back to Ohio, and i sort of "took" my older sister's Sit Down Young Stranger back with me, but the first one I actually purchaed my self was Summerside of Life. And it's still one of my favorites, absolutely.
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:36 PM   #21
MB

Greatest Hits on the UA label (8 track!). Next was Sundown (again, 8 track). It had just been released.
MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:34 AM   #22
BendRick

Well, Gordon was already heard in my home before I bought my first LP. My brothers already had If you could read my mind, and Sundown. However when Summertime Dream came out with its huge hit Fitzgerald, I bought that LP, then proceeded to get all of Gord's previous works. I used that big yellow book found in record stores, to track down all of Gord's material, and ordered the LP's. I also bought the new LPs as they came out, starting in 1978 (Endless Wire). I found a 45 with Spin Spin/Tom Thumb's Blues at a used record store in Seattle.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:58 AM   #23
DJ in MJ

My older brother gave me "Lightfoot!", but I don't remember which one I first bought myself.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #24
Kilgore

Summer Side of Life (record). Still one of my absolute favourites
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:34 PM   #25
musky_man

"The Way I Feel", followed closely by "Lightfoot" ... a bit back asswards, I admit, but that's a bit like a am
musky_man is offline   Reply With Quote