banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default MASSEY HALL - November 2016-reviews/pics/videos

Just a quick update to say that Gord took his opening show and full Massey Hall house audience into the palm of his hands the moment he walked on stage and was greeted with a standing ovation.

He strutted out exactly the same way he's done since his first concert there in 1967. No muss, no fuss, just right into the music. Absolutely mesmerizing!

Thanks to Char and Bernie Fiedler I was cushioned in the very front row, beside our faithful friends who travel from all over to attend the shows, and just a few seats away was Char and Gord's beautiful wife, Kim.

The band was on fire and Gord kept rolling them out one after another in fine vocal form. I could see Char keeping busy with her notes etc, so we'll be having more on that no doubt when she finds time to get things sorted.

Following the intermission the momentum just carried on exactly as in the first set and between songs Gord shared a little banter with his audience.
"We love you, Gord" was heard several times and Gord responded politely: "thank you, we love the work!"
He finished with "Early Morning Rain" and of course, as usual, his audience wasn't about to let him go just yet, so it was "Cold On the Shoulder" for the encore song. The audience remained standing till the lights began to flicker so the time had arrived to end this wonderful opening concert evening.

Tonight it's back down there again for the second show. It's not even noon yet, but I've got everything right in place to walk out the door. The anticipation is running on overdrive.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.
Default Re: opening show at Massey Hall

surprised no one else has replied yet, but thanks for the report!
Old 11-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I have to say that I am surprised and disappointed at the paucity of reporting about any of the four concerts and the pub jam yesterday. except for a couple of postings by Ron Jones

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
charlene

IT's a busy time meeting with friends and running around plus concerts and late, late nights. There will be more asap as I sort thru the videos/photos and setlists..
Gordon was stellar, funny and in fine voice for all 4 nites. The congregants at The Church of Gord loved every moment...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
lighthead2toe

Hi friends.
The thing I always find after the Massey Hall event is that it takes me several days to completely unwind from the high derived from it all. But no complaints, ever.
I hope everyone can open the text that will try and post here. Sorry, I'm an old school guy.
(Here's the text: )

The four consecutive Massey Hall concerts of Gordon Lightfoot went off as usual thisround with unparalleled professionalism. That man never ceases to amaze his fans.

Remember the song about professional hockey star, Gordie Howe: “Gordie Howe Is The Greatest Of Them All?” Well, in the musical arena it could seriously be considered that “Gordon Lightfoot Is The Greatest Of Them All.” A song there maybe?

You really would need to be there to witness this genius of a man, who, at 78 years old could pull off, and make look so easy such a ??? Sorry, I can’t find words to finish this line other than to quote Gord: “WE LOVE THE WORK”

Four nights of full house concert performances that bring together fans from all over the globe and like bees returning to their hives at night they settle in the downtown hotels close by and during the daytime wander about, taking in all the things that a world class city like Toronto has to offer.

Connecting with the folks and seeing once again all those familiar faces, hugs all
around and singing the songs together creates a well of good vibes. Family members of Gord attend these shows regularly and they are very lovely folks. Always there with a greeting smile.

This time at the Saturday night show Gord announced both his daughters were in
attendance, Ingrid and Meredith. He mentioned that Meredith performs regularly as an upcoming entertainer. Apart from her vocal skills, she is an accomplished banjo player and plays a host of other instruments as well.

The Massey Hall event is one that tends to keep the momentum alive and spikes the inspiration on to the next time we can get to see Gord.

Push the play button.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf massey gord.pdf (22.9 KB, 554 views)
Old 11-27-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Toronto Star-Gordon Lightfoot charms fans in Massey Hall concerts

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/11/24...certs-kick-off

TORONTO - From one Canadian music legend to another.

Gordon Lightfoot fondly remembered Leonard Cohen’s impact, fluency and charm on Wednesday night as the 78-year-old folk icon played the first of four shows at Massey Hall in what has long been a November tradition.

“I was sad to hear of Leonard Cohen’s passing,” said Lightfoot, late in his two-hour show.

“He was a great guy, a big influence and totally bilingual.”

In the latter category, Lightfoot recalled he, Cohen, Van Morrison, and Jesse Winchester playing in Montreux, Switzerland once when the Quebecer, who passed away at age 82 two weeks ago, charmed a young, pretty cocktail waitress with his fluent French.

Lightfoot’s return to Massey Hall - which he referred to as “these hallowed grounds” - saw him backed by longtime bass player Rick Haynes, drummer Barry Keane, keyboardist Mike Heffernan and newest recruit Carter Lancaster on lead guitar.

So new in fact, that Lightfoot had to look up his name on a piece of paper - though he’s been in the band since 2010.

Opening the evening with Sweet Guinevere, Lightfoot’s weaker vocals made for a clipped delivery, so whenever Haynes and Lancaster added their voices off mic as backup, it was a welcome addition.

At one point, he even sprayed nasal spray into the air before turning his back and using it on himself, and then offering it to Lancaster.

“It’s OK to say no,” the lead guitarist joked.

Dressed in a velvet blazer (blue in the first set and burgundy in the second), white dress shirt and black pants, Lightfoot’s pale, thin silhouette made him appear fragile but his charm and impressive songbook carried the night.

Highlights included The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Carefree Highway, Sundown, If You Could Read My Mind, and Early Morning Rain, the latter which both Elvis and Bob Dylan covered, as Lightfoot mentioned during the show.

“Elvis himself,” said Lightfoot, sounding impressed.

There was also his first new song in 12 years, Plans of My Own, which led off the second set after a 20-minute intermission.

Regardless of what he said or sang, people shouted out their love and devotion all night long and he repeatedly countered with: “We couldn’t do this without you.”

Lightfoot plays Massey Hall through Saturday night.

---

SET LIST

Sweet Guinevere
Did She Mention My Name
Waiting for You
Never Too Close
Don Quixote
Clouds of Loneliness
Rainy Day People
A Painter Passing Through
Christian Island
Shadows
Beautiful
The Watchman’s Gone
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Carefree Highway
INTERMISSION

Plans of My Own
Now and Then
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
I’d Rather Press On
Minstrel of the Dawn
Let It Ride
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
ENCORE

Cold on the Shoulder
Old 11-28-2016, 01:23 AM   #7
buzzard

Hey Ron, thanks again for all your efforts to organize the pub jam again this year. That is always one of my favourite parts of the weekend. Also, I somehow neglected to tell you what a moving and fitting tribute your recitation of Leonard Cohen’s Tower of Song was. For those who weren’t there, Ron did it by memory!

This was my favourite Massey session yet. Maybe because the weather was pretty decent for late November . . . maybe because it had been two years this time . . . maybe because you know it can’t last forever and it is so great to be able to savour it while you can.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
charlene

Default Re: Toronto Star-Gordon Lightfoot charms fans in Massey Hall concerts

Epic.. every night was epic...I'll have pics and videos up soon..
Old 11-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Hey Ron, thanks again for all your efforts to organize the pub jam again this year. That is always one of my favourite parts of the weekend. Also, I somehow neglected to tell you what a moving and fitting tribute your recitation of Leonard Cohen’s Tower of Song was. For those who weren’t there, Ron did it by memory!

This was my favourite Massey session yet. Maybe because the weather was pretty decent for late November . . . maybe because it had been two years this time . . . maybe because you know it can’t last forever and it is so great to be able to savour it while you can.

Brian
It was beautiful...
Old 11-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
Dan O'Malley

Default Re: MASSEY HALL - November 2016-reviews/pics/videos -opening show at Massey Hall

Seen Gord 25 times now! First show was in 2005, and he was as good last week as i'd seen him. "Much to my Surprise" is my current live favourite. By the way Charlene, sorry that I was unintelligible saturday but I talk rapidly and excitedly once i've had a few too many lol. Got home just a few hours ago, and missing Toronto already! Loved the guy who hollered out during one of the shows, "I Love you Gord, but this beer SUCKS!!!" lol
Old 11-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #11
charlene

Default Re: MASSEY HALL - November 2016-reviews/pics/videos -opening show at Massey Hall

a few pics to start:

Old 11-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #12
charlene

Good to see you again Dan! even for a brief moment !!! lol
glad you made it over and back home safely!
Old 11-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
Dan O'Malley

I stole a sheet of A4 from behind the bar at Massey Hall saturday night lol. Seems to be instructions for all staff relating to the show. At the top it says "Gordon Lightfoot (Last one!)" I Hope its a reference to Saturday being the last night of this run. A Nice souvenir anyway lol
Old 11-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #14
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Char it is obvious that your favourite photo storage website is having a bad hair day and might be about to kick the flaming bucket you might say and I just did .Your autographed image of Massey Hall is miscoloured out of all recognition. As I have tried to tell you if you use the URL of the same picture as you had already displayed on Facebook (which is IMHO a far better image storage site: it works better in my view and saves you having to upload the image a second time)

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
It was beautiful...
Thanks so much friends.
It was very sad losing Leonard Cohen. He sure left his mark on me. And of course, Paul Johnston and Rex DeLong, our friends who performed with us several times over the years. However, on the bright side, staging events such as the pub jam gives us the opportunity to keep the warm memories alive.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
charlene

TORONTO SUN-Veronica Henry photos:

Old 11-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
charlene

Old 11-29-2016, 01:58 AM   #18
Melissa

I have a question for the musicians here (also for anyone who really pays attention to what Gord is doing on his guitar) -

When he played "Plans of My Own" at Massey, did he fingerpick the 12-string, like on the recording? Did the other members of the "orchestra" also play, or did he do it solo? Also, he's playing it in Drop-D tuning, right? (if so, then I suppose that means he played the "other" Gibson 12 - the EMR one)

OK, sorry, that was 3 questions.

Thanks for any replies you may send -

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #19
paskatefan

Wonderful review & pics from what must have been an epic week in Toronto!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
I have a question for the musicians here (also for anyone who really pays attention to what Gord is doing on his guitar) -

When he played "Plans of My Own" at Massey, did he fingerpick the 12-string, like on the recording? Did the other members of the "orchestra" also play, or did he do it solo? Also, he's playing it in Drop-D tuning, right? (if so, then I suppose that means he played the "other" Gibson 12 - the EMR one)

OK, sorry, that was 3 questions.

Thanks for any replies you may send -

Melissa
I have video to post...stay tuned...
Old 11-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #21
charlene

3rd nite of 4 -
4th nite of 4 -
Old 11-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #22
lighthead2toe

Default Re: MASSEY HALL - November 2016-reviews/pics/videos

Hi Melissa.
He's fingerpicking it and Mike comes in to accompany him on keyboard. There's just the two of them. The capo is on the third fret so it's in the key of "F," the EMR, CRT key, and the guitar is in the drop "D" tuning. What a great tune!

PS: the pub jam recap is just about ready.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #23
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Good to see you again Dan! even for a brief moment !!! lol
glad you made it over and back home safely!

Would really have been nice to meet you Dan.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:40 PM   #24
charlene

1st of 4 nites-PLAYLIST: Massey Hall videos-Nov.23,2016 1st nite of 4: WATCH ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eQ74AzpN1MPwdE

Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #25
Melissa

Looking for a word that surpasses "Awesome" but can't find it.

Awesome videos, Char! Sorta eases the pain of not being there. Well, not really, but it helps.

Thank you for posting these!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote