banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
charlene

Default Gordon,George Chuvalo,The Good Brothers

VIDEO of Gordon singing with The Good Brothers:

Saturday March 24, 2018 at the Cadillac Lounge, Toronto
https://www.facebook.com/sam.grosso....0060135495577/

PHOTOS:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgvSawQB...-by=_tomdoyle_

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgvRIG4h...-by=_tomdoyle_
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Gordon,George Chuvalo,The Good Brothers

This was a very enjoyable evening's performance and what a night it was.
I didn't want to miss out on any part of the journey so my plan was to arrive early and scope things out.
When I arrived there the Good Brothers and band were entering the stage door and they gave me a wave.

It was my first time in the Cadillac Lounge and I was very excited because I have a thing about Cadillac cars, especially ones from the early fifties.
Where I grew up in Nfld there were many American families stationed there as the Second World War didn't end till 1945 and those families had their cars shipped to Nfld. As kids we had many American friends and we got to ride in those dreamboat cars and I fell in love with the Cadillac.

My reservation was for one so I was guided to a seat at the bar facing a shining chrome grille which was taken from what looked like a 53 or 54 Cadillac and selectively integrated as a decorative part of the bar. I was totally in my element seated there believe me.
Behind the bar was a sign that read "So Long Stompin' Tom" and irionically on the sound system a Stompin' Tom song was playing. Tom, another iconic Canadian singer, songwriter and Gord were good friends and sadly we lost Tom a few years back.
The background music was quite selective. Gord's "Same Old Obsession" by Maria Muldaur from the CD "Beautiful A Tribute To Gordon Lightfoot" was also included. I love that version.

At a table close to the stage the very elegant Kim Lightfoot and Gordon sat quietly to take in the show. The house was filled to capacity and "The Goods" delivered as they always do with a rousing set of tunes which also included my special request "For Cryin' Out Loud" from their "Wide Awake Dreamin'" CD.
A very nice lady named Bev from the Good Brothers entorage emailed to let me know that my request would be honoured and she mentioned that "For Cryin' Out Loud" was also a favourite of Gord's. A win, win here for sure.
It was just an "over the moon" performance. The band was on fire, the place just a hoppin' and the staff were cheerfully delivering the food and drinks to the customers. Just a really great atmosphere.
An announcement came from the stage that Toronto boxer, George Chuvalo was in the room. Very popular guy is George. Muhammad Ali says George Chuvalo was the toughest guy he ever fought.

The band was just pumping out those tunes and the applause was thunderous.
Just prior to the end of the first set Gord was invited to the stage to join the guys for a rousing version of "Alberta Bound." They've done this tune together many times so it was a nice full version and the crowd roared.
With Larry Good on the banjo its sure gives a complete compliment of sound for a song like Alberta Bound. The banjo work on Gord's recording "Old Dan's Records" would be Larry.
Gord took his humble bow throughout continuing applause. Things eventually settled down and the Lightfoot couple left after an extensive first set as the night was a stealin'.

Very friendly folks in the room so the conversation was great.
Turns out the Cadillac Lounge is up for sale though. From what I can gather the owner would like to have it keep operating as a bar with live music. Fingers crossed on that one.
I plan to go back there and take a few pics in case things change.

After a short intermission the Goods came back and continued on just pumping out those tunes giving their all and the audience was was thoroughly enjoying every minute of the performance.
Finally things wound down, the Fox Was on the Run and the guys came into the crowd signing autographs, etc. and folks were buying up the CD's.

It was a most memorable night and I made my way home on the ever faithful Toronto Transit System, with part of journey being a pleasant walk to take in the night air. Spring is making it's way through now so the smells are just so beautiful.

Overall, the Good Brothers delivered "The Goods."

Last edited by lighthead2toe; 03-29-2018 at 10:29 AM.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
charlene

VIDEO - https://www.instagram.com/p/BgvBzKvD...by=peles_about
Old 03-27-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
buzzard

Great pictures! Sounds like a wonderful night. I have always been a fan of George Chuvalo - a great boxer and fascinating guy, who has endured an unbelievable amount of personal tragedy.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
charlene

Lee Caprio photos